The Acoustic Neuroma Association is proud to announce the endorsement of H.R. 5485, also known as Ally's Act.
Ally, a ten-year-old from Broomfield, Colorado and Congressman Joe Neguse’s constituent was born without a right ear or hearing canal and therefore requires the use of a bone anchored hearing aid (“BAHA”) which is one form of osseointegrated device (“OIDs”). Following a denial for her hearing device, Ally and her mother Melissa formed the organization Ear Community to help advocate for insurance coverage of these hearing devices to ensure no person is left unable to hear because of private insurance companies’ refusal to cover OIDs.
Ally’s Act is a bipartisan national level bill that will ensure that private insurers provide insurance coverage for Osseointegrated hearing devices (OIDs), including bone anchored hearing aids (BAHA) and cochlear implants (CI). This bill will help thousands of children and adults hear their best when requiring the use of these hearing devices.
- June – August 2022 – Push underway to get a hearing this year to make Ally’s Act a Federal Bill.
Please email and call the (13) Representatives on this list, including your local Congressman.
- Thursday, October 14, 2021 - To follow the status of Ally’s Act as it moves through Congress visit here and as it moves through the Senate here.Some members of the House Energy and Commerce Committee are pushing for a hearing, specifically Congressman Frank Pallone, Jr., Chairman, House Energy and Commerce Committee and Congresswoman Anna Eshoo, Energy and Commerce Committee, Chairwoman of the Subcommittee for Health.
If you have written a support letter before, please consider writing one again, especially for constituents that live in the districts of Reps Anna Eshoo (CA) and Frank Pallone (NJ).
- Wednesday, August 4, 2021 - A written request for a hearing was submitted by Congressman Joe Neguse to members of the House Energy and Commerce Committee.
- Wednesday, July 7th, 2021 - The HR and SB numbers have changed to:
- Wednesday, January 27th, 2021 - Congressman Joe Neguse Reintroduces Ally's Act
- Thursday, September 9th, 2020 - the companion bill to Ally's Act, H.R. 5485 was introduced to the Senate, S. 4532.
Ally’s Act would provide the following for every state:
1. Coverage for a BAHA or CI device.
2. Upgrade replacement of these hearing devices every 5 years
3. Cover accessories including softband head band, hard band and adhesives.
4. Cover repairs for these devices
5. Cover (1) hearing assessment per year
6. Cover (1) preoperative assessment per year
7. Cover implantation surgery
8. Cover post-operative medical appointments
9. Cover post-operative audiological appointments for fittings, programming and activation
10.Provide aural services related to the use of this device.
If you would like to support this bill, here’s what you can do.
Write to your local congressmen/women telling them why this bill is so important and asking them to co-sponsor this bill. You can write to both your local congress representative and the representatives who also sit on the House Committee for Energy and Commerce as this is where Ally's Act has been assigned. Please remember, your voice matters! For your convenience, we have provided a downloadable template letter. Just customize, print and mail!
Overview of H.R. 5485 - Ally's Act
Presented by Melissa Tumblin
Founder - Executive Director
August 29, 2020
For more information, visit: https://earcommunity.org/about/allys-act-h-r-5485/