Author Topic: Nancy's Spa Day - Lipo and a Face Lift  (Read 75890 times)

joebloggs

Re: Nancy's Spa Day - Lipo and a Face Lift
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2009, 05:55:44 pm »
I'm so glad to hear Nancy is all done and it sounds as if it was a success... in fact it sounds as though she absolutely rocked it!!!  Hurrah!  I will hope the next couple of rough days go really fast for her and for you Dave and that she's sitting up in bed and wandering the corridors in no time!

xxx
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2009, 06:54:44 pm »
Thanks for the update, Dave.

It sounds like Nancy is well on her way to recovery.  Facial weakness on one side is par for the course.

Hope you get some sleep tonight.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

sgerrard

« Reply #62 on: April 08, 2009, 07:04:49 pm »
Good work, Dave. Glad to hear that things went routinely. Recovery will be choppy for a couple of days, it always is, so don't let it worry you. All my best to Nancy.

I am 3 hours behind you out here on the west coast, so do a late night update if you are just hanging around. :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #63 on: April 08, 2009, 07:17:07 pm »
Glad to hear that everything seems to have gone well. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Hope you get a decent nights sleep Dave. looking forward to seeing both of you at the brunch.

Something to relax by:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ltAGuuru7Q

Bob
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

cindyj

« Reply #64 on: April 08, 2009, 07:23:26 pm »
So glad to hear she's safely through and done for the day...thanks for updating us and yes, of course, we'll understand if you don't update again for awhile.

Get some rest yourself, if you can,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

lori67

« Reply #65 on: April 08, 2009, 07:56:41 pm »
Dave,

Thanks for keeping us updated on Nancy.  I'm glad she did well (we all knew she would) and will soon be home recovering.  Tell her to hurry - we'll miss her sense of humor and ability to look on the bright side of things!

Hope both of you get a good rest tonight.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

vossman

« Reply #66 on: April 08, 2009, 10:13:30 pm »
Dave,

Thanks for all the updates on Nancy.  I was in your shoes a week ago today and I know the emotional roller coaster that you have been on today.  I know it is hard but take the advice and make sure you get plenty of rest yourself.  Nancy will be in good hands while she is in the hospital, but when she gets home that is when she will need you the most.  I know I didn't realize how tired I was until a few days later because of the physical and emotional stress.  Glad to hear everything went well and you guys will be in our thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery.

Chris
Chris
Anissa's other half

suboo73

« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2009, 03:24:45 am »
Dave,  All our thoughts and prayers are with you, Nancy and your extended family.

Hang tough and remember that most surgery patients say 'the first 3 days don't count.'
(I haven't had this AN experience, but i believe them!)
Nancy will soon be doin' a jig - maybe a little while until she masters the hokey pokey again, but that will come, too!

More prayers and best wishes.
Thank you for the updates!
Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2009, 07:14:16 am »
Hello Dave and Nancy,

I'm sorry I'm late here, but have my parents visiting from New England so I'm not on the forum as much.  Just wanted to say that it sounds like things went well with just some temporary issues to deal with.  The recovery process begins now, and for the most part, there will be a lot of improvement over the next three days.  Everyone is different, so don't use others experiences as a measuring stick.  Nancy should just take it one day at a time based on how she feels.

We will continue to pray for both of you.

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

tsl

« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2009, 07:39:38 am »
Hi Dave,
Now that the tumor is out, Nancy and you are done with it! Nancy is officially a "postie". I'm so glad to hear that the surgery went well.  Thank you for keeping us posted during such a stressful time.  You and Nancy make an unbeatable team.
Take care,
Theresa (tsl)
AN diagnosed Dec 2006
Approx. size 9 x 6  x 4 mm
Proton Beam radiosurgery wtih Dr. Jay Loeffler (radiation oncologist) and Dr. Paul Chapman (neurosurgeon) at Mass. General on Nov.2, 2007

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2009, 10:16:36 am »
Hi to all,

Thank you all so much for your well-wishes and support! Nancy is doing well this morning, but a bit tired out and uncomfortable. She asked for some percocet for a headache she rates at about 3. She feels congested, probably from the breathing tube during the operation, and has needed to cough a little. The nurses didn't really have any remedy for it, and said it was not unusual after the operation. Of course, Nancy's worried about coughing, since she knows that's bad for you! Any advice would be welcome. She also asks if others have experienced this: what little chewing she has done has felt like it wants to make her eardrum pop out (we know there isn't any eardrum, but that's the feeling). Doesn't really hurt, but feels weird, so she's concerned about it enough to want to avoid chewing. Anyone else recognize this? 

As to facial stuff - I couldn't tell if she had any problems at all. She still has the same beautiful smile as before! She does have a slightly swollen, bruised looking spot on her lip where she thinks she may have bitten it, but we don't think it has anything to do with the operation. I took a picture last night right after I got allowed in the ICU, but it seems I either left the camera on, or bumped the on switch putting it away, so it wouldn't come on this morning to send you all the picture. I thought she looked great for someone just out of brain surgery!

She seems to have no double vision at all, and could see fine to read things. She did think she had a little depth perception difficulty when she reached for her water cup.

We're still in the ICU, not so much because she needs to be there, but rather because they are waiting for space. This place is really like an overcrowded airport.

The view out her window is great. A park with two baseball diamonds below, then the Charles river with tour boats going under the Salt-and-Pepper bridge. A perfect sunny day!

Dave
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

Kaybo

« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2009, 10:20:59 am »
So glad things are going well!

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

MissMolly

« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2009, 10:31:57 am »
I'm happy that things are progressing well.  I wish for her that the discomfort abates soon.

Molly
Diagnosed 3/09 1.1cm tumor - 4/17/09 - had grown to 1.2
Age 61 - married with three adult kids
MidFossa surgery completed June 22nd
Mass General/Mass Eye and Ear - Martuza and McKenna
The tumor has grown back.  Now working with Mass General.  Dr. Loeffler feels I am not a candidate for proton beam.

lauralynn

« Reply #73 on: April 09, 2009, 10:55:53 am »
Hello Dave,

So glad it is over for Nancy.  It's great that all went well and she is doing well.  Don't forget to take care of yourself as well!  Tell Nancy her AN Buddy (Laura) says, "Hello" and soon her and I will be on the road to recovery together and we can compare stories.  I've been praying for both of you and I will continue to. 

Sending hugs,
Laura
4 cm left AN/diagnosed 1/23/09
Translab 4/14/09
Cyberknife 7/09
Gold weight implant 8/09
Barrow Neurological Institute, Phoenix
Dr. Syms and Dr. Porter
Balance issues, 100% hearingl loss (left ear), tinnitus, facial numbness/pain,
chronic fatigue, weakness, eye issues

God Bless everyone

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #74 on: April 09, 2009, 11:50:57 am »
Hi Laura,

Thanks for your kind thoughts. I just went down to the local post office and sent THE scarf on its way to you. Tracking # 0308 1400 0001 5095 5382

Nancy is having what must be a typical first day - headache needs to be drugged away frequently, very tired (maybe because somebody comes by every few minutes and wakes her up to do something), can't  hold down much food, generally not fun...

I sympathize with all of you that go through this. I hope all have an outcome as good as Nancy's looks like it will be!

Dave
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness