Author Topic: Nancy's Spa Day - Lipo and a Face Lift  (Read 75910 times)

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
Re: Nancy's Spa Day - Lipo and a Face Lift
« Reply #90 on: April 09, 2009, 06:30:32 pm »
Nancy says her throat feels ok now. She's eating stuff now, especially the nice fruit they have here. She agrees that grapes are very good.

Thanks, all, I'm shutting down for the night.
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

moe

« Reply #91 on: April 09, 2009, 09:04:51 pm »
CONGRATULATIONS NANCY  on a successful surgery. I knew you would rock it!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #92 on: April 10, 2009, 02:11:50 am »
Great to hear things are going well. Nice that she has a room with a view. I used to play softball in a league at that park....worked right around the corner from MGH. If you folks like Thai food...when Nancy is released from the hospital there is a little place on Cambridge St in the little plaza across from the firestation called Siam Cafe...great Pad Thai and Green Curry....or a trip to the north end is always good for some feel good food.... ;D
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

TaraT

« Reply #93 on: April 10, 2009, 03:43:58 am »
Nancy,

I am glad to hear that you are doing so well.  Prayers sent for a continued quick recovery.  Tara
1/7/09 2 cm AN diagnosed
3/24/09 Translab surgery
Dr. Chen and Dr. Aziz, AGH, Pittsburgh, PA
SSD right ear
Facial paralysis right side 3/6

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #94 on: April 10, 2009, 08:47:23 am »
Good morning all,

Today Nancy is better in some respects, worse in others. The Drs. looked her over this morning and gave her a House-Brackman scale rating of 3 because she was showing some facial effects, definitely much more visible than the last two days. Her smile is a bit off, and she says she can only close the affected-side eye if she closes both eyes. She gets double vision looking towards the non-AN side. They expect that stuff to be temporary, especially since she did so well right after surgery. They changed her bandage this morning, much higher on her face, so much less uncomfortable. She's more energetic and rested today, did some walking with me, and the nurse says she may get discharged tomorrow because she's doing so well. I'm going to see if I can get this laptop over where she can easily look at it this morning so she can read all your kind words. She's a bit worried she won't be able to focus well enough to read it, but we'll see.

Dave
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

cin605

« Reply #95 on: April 10, 2009, 08:56:14 am »
Thanks for the Updates...wishing her an awsum recovery..its a beautiful day her in N.H.....even more so that shes done w/ the hard part.
cin
2cm removed retrosig 6/26/08
DartmouthHitchcock medical center lebanon,N.H.
43yrs old

sgerrard

« Reply #96 on: April 10, 2009, 09:00:01 am »
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the new update. I would expect the double vision to wear off in a few days, it usually does. The temporary facial effects can take a while, as I am sure Nancy knows. It is important to be sure the affected eye is cared for with eye drops if there is any chance it is drying out. I'm glad to hear she is feeling better and walking around more; getting discharged tomorrow would be great news. Overall a "no surprises" result, which is what we like to hear.

Take care, and give our best to Nancy.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #97 on: April 10, 2009, 09:18:18 am »
Hi Dave (and Nancy if you are reading this),

I didn't have facial weakness until one night at home, I was washing my hands, looked in the mirror, and my AN side looked "drooped".  I smiled, and first the non-AN side went up, then the AN side responded late.  I was freaked out, but also tired, so I went back to bed.  The next morning, it was all but gone, and by the end of the day, gone for good.

The length of time to recover will depend, of course, on how much the nerve was agitated.  I'll bet in your (her) case it won't last too long, and you'll be your (she'll be her) smiling self in no time.

That's great news about being released tomorrow.  I'm not sure if you're the Easter celebrating type, but if so, it will be good to be home where Dave can cook a nice Easter Dinner with all the fixins!  ;D

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #98 on: April 10, 2009, 10:57:03 am »
Dave: 

Thanks again for the comprehensive update.  You've done a good job of keeping us informed and it's appreciated.

Nancy ~

I trust any deficits you're experiencing will be temporary.  They often are, especially when the nerves are intact.  Don't push yourself too hard but just 'listen to your body', which is probably telling you it's almost time to be discharged.  ;)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

SML

• If wishes were like horses, we would ride.
« Reply #99 on: April 10, 2009, 12:53:37 pm »
Dave and Nancy,

Glad to hear you may be going home soon! There's no place like home! :)

Remember, slow and easy wins the race. Both of you... get your rest!

Scarlett & Richie

SML(Scarlett)-Massachusetts
1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston,MA.
Dr. Barker - Neurosurgeon, MGH - Dr. Lee - Neuro-Otology, MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
Outstanding Surgeons, I'm very happy with the results.

lauralynn

« Reply #100 on: April 10, 2009, 05:10:55 pm »
Hello Dave and Nancy,

Dave, thanks so much for keeping us up to date on Nancy's progress.  Nancy, you hang in there sweetie.  You are doing great!  I hope they will discharge you tomorrow....nothing like the comforts of home!  Talk to you soon.

Love Always,
Laura (Your AN Buddy)
4 cm left AN/diagnosed 1/23/09
Translab 4/14/09
Cyberknife 7/09
Gold weight implant 8/09
Barrow Neurological Institute, Phoenix
Dr. Syms and Dr. Porter
Balance issues, 100% hearingl loss (left ear), tinnitus, facial numbness/pain,
chronic fatigue, weakness, eye issues

God Bless everyone

Keri

« Reply #101 on: April 10, 2009, 09:40:10 pm »
Hi Dave and Nancy,
I'm glad you're getting to go home soon. It's encouraging to hear about your recovery. I hope the double vision / facial issues get better soon. Hope your eye's alright. I have some trouble with that - I can emphathize. I hope your able to continue to get the right balance of rest and walking around a bit (but do rest a lot!)

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Rich56

• a caregiver's 2-cents
« Reply #102 on: April 11, 2009, 09:06:30 am »
Hi Nancy and Dave,

Nancy,

Scarlett's been keeping me up to speed on your progress, since I've gone back to work (12 hour shifts) this week.

I'm so glad the surgery is behind you, and you can focus on your recovery.  The wondering is over! Yeah :D ;D :) :D ;D :)  You've come out the other side, let the healing begin.  I hope you take the advise of the others, and listen to your body.  Please...don't push it!

Dave,

I know the relief you feel....she's okay ;D  Now, your the caregiver, it's important, especially in the beginning, not to fall behind on the meds., drink plenty of liquids, and eat fruits.  I got up with Scarlett every 4 hours, some times it was every two hours, and kept a log of when she took her meds.  The percoset was every 4 hours, and the decadron and valium every 6.  We kept the decadron and the valium at 12 and 6, which put the percocet at 2, 6, and 10.  After a number of days, Scarlett tried to cut back on the meds and paid for it, though at some point you have to.  Remember, plenty of liquids, and fruit!!

You've been so great with the updates, thank you.

Scarlett and I wish you both the best, and a speedy/comfortable recovery ;D ;D   
SML (Scarlett's) other half, she had - 1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid on 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston, MA. Dr. Barker & Dr. Lee of MGH/MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
The AN Calendar is here: http://www.my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

lori67

« Reply #103 on: April 11, 2009, 11:48:52 am »
And chocolate!  ;D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

lauralynn

« Reply #104 on: April 11, 2009, 01:43:35 pm »
I agree with Lori!   ;D
4 cm left AN/diagnosed 1/23/09
Translab 4/14/09
Cyberknife 7/09
Gold weight implant 8/09
Barrow Neurological Institute, Phoenix
Dr. Syms and Dr. Porter
Balance issues, 100% hearingl loss (left ear), tinnitus, facial numbness/pain,
chronic fatigue, weakness, eye issues