Author Topic: Nancy's Spa Day - Lipo and a Face Lift  (Read 75895 times)

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
Nancy's Spa Day - Lipo and a Face Lift
« on: April 02, 2009, 06:40:21 pm »
April 2 - Today I faced the reality.  It was pre-admissions testing day.  My consent form had expired; as you may remember my surgery was postponed.  According to Dr. Barker, that happens rarely but he remembers an emergency AN surgery back in February (27th to be exact!).  So I began by listening to all the possible side effects of surgery.  Is it difficult for them to read those to their patients?  Note to self, ask surgeon brother.  Signed the consent form while emphasizing my trust in their skills to the point that I did not anticipate any of those slight probabilities.  I had given him the films from Monday's Bun O' Fun and asked if he'd received the report and if it had grown since October.  He said he didn't have the report, but it did appear to have grown a little.

Then down to radiology for a chest x-ray.  Quick snack and over to the main building to check out the wireless connection so Dave can work on my laptop while I am in hospital.  Peeked in the family waiting area where the tension was palpable and the chairs were filled to capacity.  Glad I don't have to spend a day in there.  But then there is a luxurious library just down the hall that was comfortable and unoccupied other than staff as I passed through to check the connection.  Note to self, advise Dave of this opportunity for peace and quiet.

Next, down the hall to pre-admissions testing.  Almost every chair was occupied.  Fill out health history forms.  First nurse does vitals, weight, EKG (had to have a second go at that one after being told to relax), draws five tubes of blood and a cup of urine.  Back to waiting room.  Nurse practitioner calls me in for review of health history, lifestyle, questions about care during and after surgery, how I am coping with the stress of upcoming surgery.  Of course, I tell her all about the Magic Scarf and journal, the loving forumites, the Mad Hatter, the cute Aussie with the funny stories, and the wine.  Back to waiting room.  Last but not least, anaesthesiology nurse calls me in for more health history, look at throat.  And I'm done!

Drive home after collecting dog at mother's and recounting the day's events.  Magic Scarf which is wrapped around my neck as we speak and journal are in the day's mail along with the MRI report which shows no growth and mentions decreased enhancement of tumor consistent with cystic or necrotic changes.  Immediately post on the word necrotic (see thread elsewhere).

Dinner and therapeutic wine.

Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

microsoftfree

Re: Nancy's Spa Day - Lipo and a Face Lift
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 06:46:43 pm »
You are an absolute riot!  ;D The surgery will be a much needed vacation!

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 09:04:40 pm »
Nancy,

You had alot more done than they did for me pre-op.  I didn't get an EKG or any urine tests.  No chest X-ray either.  Just some blood work, vitals and a slap on the back with a jolly "You're in good shape for surgery". :)

Ok, maybe not quite like that, but they really didn't do many tests.

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

joebloggs

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 02:39:25 am »
Yeah I hardly had anything done either!  I had a bunch of blood taken, no urine...I was weighed (which was such a shock... had I really put that much weight on since Christmas??!!), met the anaesthetist who told me all the risks, met a neuro registrar who told me all the risks and a neuro nurse who asked me a few questions, was super lovely and put me at ease straightaway... she was a riot.  And that was it.  No dramas... you must have a very thorough hospital!
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

NancyMc

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 06:04:29 am »
Well, you know, the northeastern part of our great country has a lot of lawyers.  ::)

Keri

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 08:01:11 am »
Nancy,
I just realized your surgery is  a few days before the big luncheon and I couldn't remember if you were going. I looked and saw your name on the list. Good for you! I would suppose that you're not driving yourself!
Hope you are doing well. Keep sporting that scarf!
Hopefully I'll be at the lunch - looking at all the details of the trip and navigating Boston during the marathon (HA! that sounds impossible from what i'm reading).
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

NancyMc

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 08:09:41 am »
Yes, it is pretty crazy.  I went to college at about the halfway point (The runners loved all us women out there cheering them on.), lived for a year at the other side of Break Neck Hill where all were starting their final kick or giving up and walking, and then lived a mile from the route for twenty years.  It transforms the city and makes those of us non-runners go out an buy shoes that we'll never use.
Good luck to your husband.  Dave will be staying with a 62-year old marathon runner/friend of mine during my hospital stay.  We'll try to be at the brunch and hope to see you and everyone else there.
I'm carbing up for my big spa day.
Nancy

Keri

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 10:43:02 am »
Hi Nancy,
I just booked everything (those who go to 'read all new posts' will be reading this for the 3rd time)! I'm flying into Manchester and staying in Concord. It'll be a nice vacation away from the 'cares of life' back home! (providing I don't get lost driving everywhere - sometimes I get lost, even with a GPS)!
So you went to Wellesley (probably not sp right)? My husband has heard about the marathon support there; he jokes that he's just going to stop there and stay!
And, since you commended me on spelling "Worcester" correctly, I have since found out that I certainly don't pronounce it correctly. I was pronouncing it "Worse-ter" with a Texan accent (grew up in Texas - still put "R's" in everything; have to balance you New Englanders, who take the R's off everything.
Looking forward to being up there wth you all!
Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

NancyMc

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 10:55:01 am »
You spelled it right!  That was the third time I read it!  You won't have any trouble parking around the burbs but don't even think about trying to get near the finish line unless you take the T.  Even then . . . eek!  Bring your running shoes so you can jog from your legal parking place to the course.
Hope to see you at the brunch, but if not, good luck with the logistics.  At least you finally picked the right state to fly in and out of!   ;D

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 12:55:53 pm »
Nancy ~

Your pre-op tests were similar to what I experienced with the exception that mine were mostly conducted outside of the hospital where I had my surgery - which is 32 miles from my home.  I had a CT scan and chest X-ray done at a local hospital. The blood and urine work, EKG, etc were done at my PCP's office, for convenience.  My neurosurgeon was fine with that.  I did have a pre-op MRI scan at the hospital where I would have the surgery, approximately 2 days prior to the actual operation, even though my 'original' MRI had been taken only 3 weeks earlier.  My neurosurgeon wanted to be certain of "what the tumor looked like" before he operated.  Since he did a splendid job, I couldn't complain.  My medical insurance company probably wasn't as sanguine.  :)  What I found interesting (in a good way) was that, overall, I was in pretty good health.  All the blood/urine tests came back normal and the nurse in charge of taking the EKG seemed bored by the results, which, when I asked her, she mumbled "perfectly normal" - as if she were somewhat disappointed.  I won't bore you or anyone else with further details but it was sort of reassuring, at 63, to find out that I was in better overall health than I had imagined.  You see, except for sporadic checkups, I had assiduously avoided doctors as much as possible and because I was fortunate enough not to suffer from back problems, diabetes, high blood pressure and all the other vicissitudes of late middle-age (or early old-age, if you prefer), I got away with it - for years.   

You seem to have breezed through the pre-op process with flying colors and you're obviously ready, physically and emotionally, for the upcoming surgery, next week.  I, along with so many others will be thinking of and praying for you, Nancy.  I think you'll do just fine, as most of our recent surgery patients have.  I look forward to meeting you at the brunch, April 19th.  :)

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

MissMolly

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 10:09:21 am »
Hey Nancy,

I haven't been on for a while and just caught up on your post(s). 

I'm surprised that your spa pre-consult you didn't get to pick out the lettering for your monogrammed Egyptian terry robe or get a chance to review the spa cuisine menu so you could pre-order.  Nor did you get a chance to select your spa services in advance?  Shiatzu or swedish massage?  Seaweed or hydrating facial?  And what about signing up for Yoga class?  Or Meditation?  This is shabby.  I would totally complain to the management.  Perhaps they will compensate you with a complementary pedicure.   ;)

But seriousy, I have been thinking of you in the past few days and hope you are well and revved up for your 'lipo'.  Tell me more about the brunch.  Is this the one in Worcester?  When is it?

Molly

Diagnosed 3/09 1.1cm tumor - 4/17/09 - had grown to 1.2
Age 61 - married with three adult kids
MidFossa surgery completed June 22nd
Mass General/Mass Eye and Ear - Martuza and McKenna
The tumor has grown back.  Now working with Mass General.  Dr. Loeffler feels I am not a candidate for proton beam.

NancyMc

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 10:54:56 am »
 ;D Big smile  ;D
Yes, I'm revved up.  Putting on another layer (of fat, that is) just in case.
Yes, the brunch in Worcester, two weeks from tomorrow!
They did ask dietary preferences, but it caught me off guard, so I didn't get a chance to tell her I want to gag when I think about eating Jell-o.  Oh, well, I was able to tell her I don't eat red meat at least.  I am sort of expecting (secretly, hoping) that I won't want to eat anything while I'm in there.  I can hardly fit into any of my clothes, let alone my bathing suit!  I've been gearing up for my spa day since December and then it got bumped six weeks!  Big trouble now.
Nancy

MissMolly

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2009, 04:23:15 pm »
Hey Nancy,
I have been stress eating as well.  Noticing the waistbands are hugging me a little closer. 

Is anyone invited to the brunch or do you have to be an official member, or something.  Is just having an AN prerequisite enough?

Take it easy the next few days and go knock the socks off that AN.   :D

Molly
Diagnosed 3/09 1.1cm tumor - 4/17/09 - had grown to 1.2
Age 61 - married with three adult kids
MidFossa surgery completed June 22nd
Mass General/Mass Eye and Ear - Martuza and McKenna
The tumor has grown back.  Now working with Mass General.  Dr. Loeffler feels I am not a candidate for proton beam.

NancyMc

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2009, 05:32:09 pm »
Hi, Molly.
I'm not really stress eating, just eating because I'm indulging myself and hoping the surgery will be the beginning of a weight loss regimen that will continue through to bathing suit season.  I was out in the yard today doing cleanup and getting more exercise than I've had in a long while.  It felt great!
Anyone with an AN or friend or relative with one, I imagine, is welcome.  Sign up!
Thank you for your encouragement.  I'm actually starting to think about this as a vacation . . . I won't have to cook or clean or shop for weeks!
Just getting everything in order before the big day.
nANcy

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2009, 06:03:31 pm »
Dinner and therapeutic wine.

Therapeautic wine - now there's a concept that I could really use  :D

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways