Author Topic: Nancy's Spa Day - Lipo and a Face Lift  (Read 75902 times)

sgerrard

Re: Nancy's Spa Day - Lipo and a Face Lift
« Reply #315 on: October 10, 2009, 12:40:49 am »
We are expecting you ladies to behave yourself in merry England. We don't want to have send Phyl over to keep you in line. The reputation of ANer's around the world must be upheld. Let's not be reading about you in The Sun.  :D

Have a great trip.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

cindyj

« Reply #316 on: October 10, 2009, 09:02:50 am »
SOOOO jealous, Nancy!  Have a great time over there with JB...and with your son too, of course!

Can't wait to hear about it and see pics - give the royals my best,

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

moe

« Reply #317 on: October 10, 2009, 10:51:43 am »
what's with the hair thing?

That's how long my shaved hair is now, Silly!

Oh yea now I get it!
Have fun on  your trip :)
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

joebloggs

« Reply #318 on: October 10, 2009, 11:00:39 am »
Steve, please tell me you don't read The Sun.  I'd have to rethink our friendship if you do!  I can assure you anyway that you will certainly not read about us in that publication!  We will be very well behaved - I'm sure Edinburgh can't wait to have us visit!  Right must fly, off to the theatre in London, must doll up so I don't frighten the theatre goers! xx
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #319 on: October 10, 2009, 11:04:31 am »
off to the theatre in London

Some life you got there, JB. 

And Steve, you really must learn to differentiate between the English, Scots, and Irish.  The Scots and Irish would be horrified should I say, "I'm off to England!"

Photos of the meeting will follow post haste.

Cheers!
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

Keri

« Reply #320 on: October 10, 2009, 03:23:35 pm »
Have a great trip! It's great you get to see your son and JB. And eat!

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
A year ago today . . . Nancy's Spa Day - Lipo and a Face Lift
« Reply #321 on: April 08, 2010, 12:31:16 pm »
A year ago today . . .
When we woke up this morning, we discussed how one would celebrate an ANniversary.  What should we have for breakfast?  If we are re-enacting the day, we would have no breakfast and wake up in 9 hours extremely dehydrated begging for ice chips and have to wait for the night nurse who was more lenient and gave me all the ice chips and lemon ice I wanted which made my stomach a bit uneasy.  Then we'd have powdered eggs the following morning and lose them almost immediately.  So, we decided to just have oatmeal instead.
At this point I would assess my recovery as speedy (Thank you, Steroids!) and uncomplicated (Thank you, Surgeons!).  My outcome was not the best I could have hoped for, but I'll sure take it.
I am left with some facial weakness, meaning a bit of asymmetry, AN eye won't open all the way, smile is a bit lopsided if I try hard enough.
The entire AN half of my head has superficial numbness.
I have a sweet metallic taste on the AN side of my tongue.
My speech can get a tad gummed up due to numbness of tongue and cheek.
SSD and tinnitus, of course.  Both seem a bit worse then pre-op.
Balance was not a noticeable problem pre-op and remains insignificant.  Any falls are due to osteo and inflammatory arthritis.
The dent behind my ear which I denied having until I searched closer to my ear seems to be significant.  My ear which was sticking out to my horror post-op is now sucked into my head to my even greater horror.  It has become increasingly difficult to put my glasses on or to put my hair behind my ear.  If I look at my face straight on in the mirror when my hair is wet, I can't see my AN ear.  I read a thread way back about someone who had this problem and mentioned it to his or her surgeon who just said, "That happens."  I was in shock!  But fortunately, that was not my situation.  Ha!  Guess what.  So, the question is how much farther will my fat shrink?
My three-month follow-up appointment was canceled twice, and my annual one was canceled once so far.  I haven't been asked to have an annual MRI, although I know I'm supposed to.  I think I'll just write a letter to explain my symptoms and concerns.  I had an appointment with a facial doctor (not sure what that's called) but canceled it when McKenna canceled (The drive is too far not to have at least two things to do.).
The next goal is to acquire a Sound Bite.
Life is good.
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

Lizard

« Reply #322 on: April 08, 2010, 07:32:09 pm »
Well, you know, the northeastern part of our great country has a lot of lawyers.  ::)

How true, it totally had a whole list of these pre-op as well...NE is too sue happy!
Left AN 2.5CM,retrosigmoid 11/2008, second surgery to repair CSF leak. 
Headaches began immediately.  Dr. Ducic occipital nerve resection, December 2011!!!!!

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on"
-Franklin D. Roosevelt

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #323 on: April 08, 2010, 08:56:12 pm »
Congratulations, Nancy...  I think what you described about the first couple of days in the hospital were true for almost all of us, me included with the exception of not really remembering anything clearly until 2-3 days post surgery day..  I remember how wonderful it was when I first ate jello... My "first meal" after surgery (about day 2 or so after surgery) was 2 things of jello..after that, nausea..  Ahh, the good ol' days...

One down and many more to come... As Phyl likes to say, onward and upward...

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

moe

« Reply #324 on: April 08, 2010, 10:23:13 pm »
Thanks for the year update, Nancy.
Good hearing from  you :)
Our lives really will never be the same will they?
Keep the spirit!
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #325 on: April 09, 2010, 08:24:15 am »
Hi Nancy,

I just had my 1 year post-op today!  I went to bed last night and my wife told me I had the 8 AM appt with Dr. Bartels.  I was like, you're kidding?  It just snuck right up on me.

I'm sorry you are still dealing with some facial weakness.  I know from reading past posts that it has improved greatly from when you first came home a year ago, but I will continue to pray that you have a full recovery with time.

It's interesting how you decided to celebrate the ANniversary.  For me it would have been ice chips followed by a "tossing of the ice chips", if you know what I mean :)

I can't wait to meet you and the rest of the gang!  I can't believe its only a week away!

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

Lynn Mc

« Reply #326 on: April 09, 2010, 08:36:14 am »
Hi Nancy,

Congrats on you 1 year!!!  Guess we will always be a little different than pre AN.  Dr. McKenna's office cancelled me a few times also.  Millie is gone from Dr. Barkers - although they are no more efficient!!!  Life goes on.  Can't wait to see you next week.  Again congratulations!

Happy Trails,
Lynn
Translab 01/22/10.  12 x 11.7 x 8.2 mm.
Dr's McKenna/McCall at Mass Eye & Ear,
Dr. Barker at MGH. 
SSD - No other significant problems post surgery, just some minor inconveniences!  Yipee!!
BAHA implant 04/08/11 Dr. Merchant
BAHA Gotcha 07/25/11
"Life is Good"

joebloggs

« Reply #327 on: April 09, 2010, 11:43:23 am »
Nancy my sweet soul sister!  You are so rocking your 1 year anniversary and your life!  Whoop whoop to the rockaholic Nancy! 

Hopefully see you soon! xxx
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!