Author Topic: EJTampa (Ernie's) updates  (Read 56707 times)

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
Re: EJTampa (Ernie's) updates
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2009, 02:45:39 pm »
If you bite down slightly on your tongue, you will not sneeze.  I have no idea why it works.
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2009, 02:57:00 pm »
Cool!  I just tried it, and it did create a funny sensation in my nose.
Thanks.
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2009, 02:58:52 pm »
Finally, the pictures I promised.  No fancy poses yet, sorry.

ICU day after surgery.

First Post on ANA day after surgery.

Glad to have the bandage off on Sunday!

My battle scar :)

Still doing ok.  Lots of strangeness, like hard to swallow food.  Taste is all wrong.  Extreme noises in the deaf ear.  I assume these will settle out to something more managable eventually.

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

sgerrard

« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2009, 03:08:21 pm »
Hey Ernie,

I'm glad to see they got that 90 degree rotation problem sorted out. That would have been awkward!  ;D

You look amazing for someone three days out from surgery. I'm sure most of the strangeness will sort itself in a week or so. If you are like most people, you will get to keep something as a souvenir. Take care.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2009, 03:13:10 pm »
Ernie,
You look great, thanks for posting the pictures.  We love pictures.  And yes, the immediate post op things will pass as things settle down in your head.  I had a ton of those (similar to yours) and they all resolved withing the first couple of weeks. Now you're some kind of superman so maybe it will take less time.  (I thought I had the record on short hospital stays until your surgery  :D)
Best,
Marci) ,
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2009, 03:23:57 pm »
Ernie ~

Me again.  Thanking you for posting the photos.  You look great!  I share your aversion to hospitals in general (as a patient) and the ICU, in particular.  I had to push a bit to get released on my 5th day post-op and thought I did well.  Now, I feel like a slacker!  :D  May your recovery be as swift as your hospital stay.  You're an inspiration to many.

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2009, 04:12:17 pm »
Aaaarrrr,me  Mateys!
Let's raise a toastie!
Our Tampa Ernie
Is now a Postie!

Now if I were you Ernie, I would don me Gasparilla garb whilst I was performin' me outdoor physical therapy so as to hide the fact that there was anything at all going on in that there noggin up there.  Kinda like a Disney World ride up there right now ain't it? WHEEEEEEE!!!!!!! Don't worry--things will quit spinnin' eventually and the snakes and chickens will go back to where they came from!

Just get out and enjoy that bee-ooo-teee-full Florida air and sunshine and be glad you ain't trudgin' through 2 feet of snow. 

Congrats on "it" bein' over!

Huuuuuuugs!!!!

Capt Deb P-)
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Jwh

« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2009, 04:43:17 pm »
Ernie,

You look excellent!  Keep up the good work  :)

Jen
5/01  1.3 AN removed at NYU using Retrosig. Approach
2/07  Rediagnosed with Regrowth 8 mm (wait & watch mode)
1/09  1.4 AN removed at NYU using Translab (total tumor removal)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2009, 09:40:15 pm »
Very nice pictures Ernie.  Glad to see you're home already  ;D

Congratulations, postie!!!

As for the sneezing guys, Lori is correct - you have to do it with your mouth open.

You also are not allowed to blow your nose for a certain period post op - I'm thinking it's about 6 weeks.

The solution to that is rather gross - suck it down and spit it out  :P

Jan

« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 09:46:04 pm by leapyrtwins »
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2009, 10:32:46 pm »
Ernie, I can't believe you're home already, nice job!  You are the first surgery victim poster since I joined this board so all my hopes were pinned on you.  You came through with flying colors, wow!  I am so encouraged!  Thanks for the pictures too.  Ok, be well, and may the the merry-go-round stop and the loud noises subside soon.

Anissa
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

cindyj

« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2009, 05:45:41 am »
Well, we can see why they let you go so quickly!  What great post op pics - you will definitely be an inspiration to the pre-posties...of course, you pre-posties know that all recoveries are different, right? 

Yes, the noises were so strange after surgery - and even what I heard in my good ear was quite distorted for awhile.  But it does calm down.

Hope things continue to go SO well for you, Ernie!  Looks like they sure will to me :)

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

moe

« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2009, 08:31:33 am »
LOVE the pics. Great for those who are awaiting surgery. You would hardly know you had BRAIN surgery by looking at you straight on. Congrats again, and pace pace pace yourself. How's your dizziness?
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2009, 10:38:09 am »
Great pics!  With your "bonnet" off, from the front you can't even tell you had surgery at all!  That's GREAT!  Continued healing, Ernie!

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2009, 11:38:33 am »
Unbelievable! Ernie, you look terrific! Welcome to postiehood!  Now, take it easy, get some rest and.... um... BoSox beat Tampa yesterday! ;)   I know payback is forthcoming!

Wellness wishes to you!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

lori67

« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2009, 11:42:48 am »
Ok, am I the only one who noticed Ernie's pretty pink laptop??   :D

My niece swears that if you say the word "grapefruit" when you feel the need to sneeze, you won't sneeze.  I think she's a little on the crazy side, but it might work.

Ernie, you look great.  I've looked worse than that after a trip to the grocery store.  

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.