Author Topic: EJTampa (Ernie's) updates  (Read 56724 times)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: EJTampa (Ernie's) updates
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2009, 11:55:06 am »
Ok, am I the only one who noticed Ernie's pretty pink laptop??   :D

oh, I noticed, but went for the BoSox BEATING Tampa at baseball yesterday route instead... LOL!
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2009, 12:14:38 pm »
Ok, am I the only one who noticed Ernie's pretty pink laptop??   :D

I noticed it too, ha!  Looks good with your headwrap.  ;)
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2009, 02:26:50 pm »
Me, too, but I didn't want to say anything.  I imagine/hope it's Isabel's.
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2009, 04:23:46 pm »
I can't have a pink notebook? :)  Ok, it's Isabels.  It's very light (a netbook) and the battery lasts like 8 hours.  It's the best thing in the world when all you need to do is wirleless networking (internet) stuff.

Had a pretty good day today so far.  Didn't sleep too much, well, yes I did, but not as much as the last few days.  I got out and walked and felt good.  I even went an extra hour beyond the time for my pain med, but that's as far as I can go right now.  Most of my pain is internal, where the tumor was.  I don't have any pain at the incision site, at least not noticable.  Sometimes my head feels real full and swollen, and that takes me down more than any of the other symptoms.  Luckily it seems to pass in a few hours.

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2009, 04:38:46 pm »
Ernie:

Sorry I'm so late getting in on your updates. You look wonderful, your smile is symmetrical. Sorry that you are SSD. It's wonderful that you were able to go home so soon.

It's great having you as a postie.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2009, 04:41:34 pm »
You should have been wearing a Tshirt saying "Real Men Have Pink Laptops".  Heh.. 

Congrats on doing so well.  Your complaint of post-op internal pain is normal.  As things start to settle down, you'll notice it less and less. 

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2009, 04:52:52 pm »
Hi Ernie:  your scar looks better than mine did !(retrosigmoid also),  you also LOOK alot better than I did (no facial paraylisis,  YEAH ! ! ! ! !).
You will be exhausted for weeks,  it'll get better over the months (it's a weird thing that happens from exposing the brain to air - so says my neurosurgeon, who I have complete faith in).  Take naps whenever your body tells you to.
Little by little you'll walk more,  do chores around the house,  etc. 
I was able to drive after 3 weeks post op (out of necessity),  I found it easier to drive than walk !
Headaches were horrendous for me for the first 3 weeks,  then slowly dissipated over the next 2 months.
You may also find your appetite has diminished - this is normal,  it will (unfortunately for us chubbies - not you!) eventually pick up.

Continued healing my friend,  always good thoughts,  Nancy
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 05:37:40 pm by nancyann »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

LADavid

« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2009, 06:06:39 pm »
Two days I miss this thread and the world has passed by.   Amazing, Ernie. Amazing.  I believe  you may have set the record.  Does anyone know of a faster escape from the hospital?  I remember a few three days.  But two?
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2009, 06:41:26 pm »
Two days I miss this thread and the world has passed by.   Amazing, Ernie. Amazing.  I believe  you may have set the record.  Does anyone know of a faster escape from the hospital?  I remember a few three days.  But two?

Actually, back a couple of pages, I think Patrick has me beat at 36 hours.  I probably didn't actually leave until 9 PM, and we were there the morning before at 5:15 AM.  I'll settle for second place though!

With respect to less invasive surgical practices, I'm sure it helps, but assuming there are no complications, there really isn't anything more they can do for you in a hospital after the first day than you can do at your home.  Just make sure you have someone there with you.  My own Doctors told me to get the heck out of there as fast as I can or end up catching something else, including nasty infections.  It's a win/win/win for hospital/insurance/patient since hospital frees up a spot, insurance pays a day or 2 less, and patient feels better at home anyway.

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2009, 06:50:34 pm »
Funny you say that about hospital stay,  i have a friend/neurologist who always says "If you make it out of the hospital alive,  you done good."

Continued healing Ernie,  always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Kaybo

« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2009, 07:05:27 pm »
WOW!!  I can't believe all that I missed while tending to my MIL in Houston for not even a week!  Way to go Ernie!  Hope you continue to have good days!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2009, 07:40:10 pm »
I noticed the pink laptop too and was going to make a comment about how well it went with the leopard scarf, but decided to behave for a change  ::)
Jan

PS to Lori - your halo is slipping again  ;)  :D
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

texsooner

« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2009, 08:13:11 pm »
Ernie...My 36 hours was after the surgery was over, so my total hospital time was 48 hours. I'll gladly accept my unofficial 2nd place breakout from the hospital to your record time. My doc told me that the hospital was for sick people and I wasn't one of them, and asked if I wanted to go home. I said absolutely.

Hope all continues well on your recovery.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

wendysig

« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2009, 06:49:39 am »
Ernie,
Sorry I'm a little late -- but you really do look great!  (I'm a poet and I don't know it -- my feet show it --  they're Longfellows -- size 10 :D)  Thanks for the great pics!

Wishing you continued good healing!
Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

LisaP

« Reply #74 on: March 11, 2009, 05:21:13 am »
Ernie,

Congrats,,,,can't believe that you are home already, pictures look great, thanks for keeping us updated.  Glad to hear all is well!!

Best wishes,

LisaP ;D
LisaP
AN at 12mm by 7mm by 7mm,  shown no growth as of September 26, 2013, 5.5 years into this journey.  Next MRI 2015. Doctors: Mason and McKenna.  Continue to W&W