Author Topic: EJTampa (Ernie's) updates  (Read 56510 times)

nancyann

• carpe diem
Re: EJTampa (Ernie's) updates
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2009, 10:56:30 pm »
ARE YOU KIDDING ME ? ?   HOME ALREADY ? ?     Wonderful news.
As has been said,  REST, REST, & more REST, you've just been through brain surgery.
Take all the naps you need, whenever you need them.  & stay hydrated (my 2 cents).

Continued healing my friend,  always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

NL

« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2009, 11:13:14 pm »
Ernie,

When I saw your post from ICU, I had to go back to check your surgery date! Surgery on Thursday and back on the forum on Friday? Truly amazing!

As others have said, just be sure to rest and take some nice, long naps between your posts.  :)

So glad to hear you're doing well!

Nancy L
1.6 cm left AN diagnosed Oct. '07
1.9 cm on 2nd MRI, May '08
Retrosigmoid surgery at House Clinic/St. Vincent's on 8/6/08
(no post-op dizziness, nausea, facial or balance issues)
Thankful for a fantastic team of doctors - Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz, & Dr. Michael Stefan

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2009, 05:57:04 am »
Congratulations, Ernie!
I'm so jealous.  I suppose being married to a nurse helped a little?
Enjoy your new freedom.
Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

joebloggs

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2009, 06:13:47 am »
Wow that's amazing!  I'm super impressed!  I don't feel quite so scared now!
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

tenai98

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2009, 06:50:20 am »
WOWSERS  Home already! Amazing....Keep up the good work there Ernie
JO ;D
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2009, 02:48:49 pm »
Ernie: ~

I posted this on the 'AN Issues' forum and I'll re-post it here.

You're kidding....right?  Even endoscopic surgery patients don't get discharged quite that fast.  Perhaps that magic scarf is more potent than we realized.  Congratulations!  Way to go, Ernie!)

I'll simply add that we stand in awe of your recuperative powers.  Well, those and the coveted Magic Scarf you must have employed to so far exceed all records for the time between surgery and discharge.  I assume you'll be back to work on Monday?  ;) 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Pooter

• The Official Breeze Conjurer - PBW
    • Blog Website
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2009, 02:56:41 pm »
Wow! Home already? The scarf must have worked. Rest, rest, rest.

Regards,
Brian
Diagnosed 4/10/08 - 3cm Right AN
12hr retrosig 5/8/08 w/Drs Vrabec and Trask in Houston, Tx
Some facial paralysis post-op but most movement is back, some tinitus.  SSD on right.
Story documented here:  http://briansbrainbooger.blogspot.com/

"I must be having fun all wrong!"  - Roger Creager

EJTampa

• Rays Vs Red Sox Game 2 ALCS (Isabel and Ernie)
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2009, 05:14:36 pm »
While rest is very important, so is activity.  I almost fell into a rut after waking up with some swelling today.  A 30  minute afternoon walk after some macaroni and cheese did me wonders!  It's beautiful, if not a bit warm outside.  We will walk again this evening when it cools down, then I'll get some rest.

I didn't like ICU.  The nurse was good, just didn't like it there.  Bells and whistles and such all the time.  At 9 AM they said they were going to transfer me to a room if I could walk.  I got up and did a couple of laps right there and then.  At 3 PM they said they weren't having any luck getting me a room.  Boy, I did not want to spend another night there.  At around 7 PM or so Dr. Danners came in to check on me.  I told him I was upset about not getting a regular room and that I'd be better off at home.  He said he agreed and signed the discharge papers! :).  I was able to meet all the criteria for going home, since time isn't one of them.

For those like me who don't like hospitals, get up and walk.  You will be dizzy, you will have some pain, and in my case, with the hearing nerve cut, lots of wooshing noises.  You will feel SO much better after walking.  Even today, day 3, so much better after a walk.  But as others have said, you must listen to your body as well.

Thanks again for all your super prayers, and I will try and get the pictures up soon!

Ernie
-1.3 X 0.8 cm AN in the right cerebellopontine angle extending into the internal auditory canal.
-Retrosigmoid Surgery with Dr. Bartels and Dr. Danner at Tampa General 3/5/2009.
-Had to cut hearing nerve to get "sticky" tumor, so SSD right side.

texsooner

« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2009, 08:05:50 pm »
Ernie, I couldn't agree more about what you said on the activity(if you're able). Walking did me a lot of good too the first few hours and days. I was also released fairly soon after surgery(36 hours), and it was because I forced myself to get up walking(plus the doc said I'd do better at home and the risk of infection would be much less at home). Glad you're doing great...keep walking, but don't push it too hard this early.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

moe

« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2009, 12:30:40 am »
Congratulations on a successful surgery, Ernie! Such nice news for all the newbies who are waiting surgery.  Still listen to your body and rest/walk/fluids, etc...
Maureen
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

joebloggs

« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2009, 04:10:53 am »
No sneezing!!!  How can you stop from sneezing?!
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

suboo73

« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2009, 05:47:14 am »
Hi Ernie & Isabel! 
Congratulations on being post surgery and home already!  This is great!
[My daughter learned how to be released early too - she had a rod removed from her thigh (after it was broken), ate a 6 inch plain sub from Subway, walked around the hospital room and went to the bathroom herself before the nurse ever ordered the post-op jello meal!  She wanted to be 'outta there' too!]

Now get some rest and relax at home.
That magic scarf is incredible!

All my best to you and your family!
Sincerely,
Sue

suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

tenai98

« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2009, 06:01:59 am »
I'm wondering as well...How can one prevent sneezing for 8 weeks???  As anyone sneezed before the 8 weeks and what were the results???
JO
14mmX11mmX11mm left ear
TRANSLAB 04/07/09 2cms at time of surgery
Dr. Benoit and Schramm, Ottawa Civic Campus
SSD ,some facial numbness
Baha surgery sept 22/09
residual tumor 13mmX7mmX8mm
2016 new growth.  25mmX21mmX22mm
cyberknife on June 7

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2009, 09:22:57 am »
Ernie,
Yup, I agree as well--activity (walking or whatever) if you can do it, with copious naps will help with recovery.  It worked for me and sure seems to be working for you.  Don't overdo it though, and listen to your body.
Best
M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

lori67

« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2009, 10:39:59 am »
Don't panic allergy sufferers - you CAN sneeze, just keep your mouth open when you do it.  That will keep from raising your Intercranial Pressure too much.. or is that Intra...can't remember.  Anyway, open mouth sneezes only.  Gesundheit.

Cheri, I was thinking the same thing - Ernie should have made a Superman cape out of the scarf!!  Maybe we should have Steve knit a big "S"to put on it!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.