Author Topic: Facial Progress  (Read 30591 times)

Jeanlea

Re: Facial Progress
« Reply #45 on: September 26, 2008, 06:32:59 pm »
David,

I'll be thinking of you on your run day.  Keep your knee healthy.  I'm running about a 10-11 minute mile.  Not terrible fast I know, but I am still running.
My son in the Olympics...now that would be cool! 

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2008, 06:45:13 pm »
Jeanlea,
I'm still in the 12-minute mile range and I'm finding it harder to add on to my short runs than before.  Hoping it is just part of the process.  Along those lines, I have the numbness and tightness as well and a little dimple on my right side that was never there before.  The right side of my mouth pulls to the right occasionally.  It's annoying but I'm figuring it's either all part of healing or better I'd just get used to it quick.  I have a lot of pain in my face by the end of the day and am taking Zanax in very small doses because without it I would be so distracted by all these sensations, I couldn't do my job.  I have very slight (but its there) facial weakness as well.  Again, hoping all resolves and have taken to dressing up at work which takes the attention off my face.
Cheers,
Marci

David,
Good luck on the race; hope you are cross training to avoid injury.....
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Jeanlea

« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2008, 08:10:22 pm »
Marci,

I'm really impressed that you have been able to start running again so quickly considering that your surgery was this summer!  I run with some friends and that helps me to go faster.  We all help each other.  When I run alone I tend to be a little slower.  My son was saying that an easy day for him was 8 miles at a 6:30 pace!  I'm no where close to those speeds.  lol
Is running helping your face?  My theory is that all of that blood moving through there has to do some good!  I saw improvement in my face in the last year and that's when I got into running on a regular basis.
It sounds like you are slowly showing improvement also.  The first year or two were the hardest for me.  Now I've gotten enough progress facially that I feel pretty good. 

Jean
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
TransEar for SSD

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2008, 11:47:25 am »
Jean,
I figure the running can't hurt the healing process and since it is my psyche that needs the most help at the moment, I know it's helping my state of mind.  By the way, your face looks fantastic! How did you put those pictures in the body of your message?  I can't seem to figure it out.
All best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Jeanlea

« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2008, 02:47:33 pm »
Marci,

Go to page 1 of this thread and read how Leapyrtwins told me how to put photos in my post.

Jean
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
TransEar for SSD

28Lisa

• pre opt
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2008, 09:45:01 am »
Wow Jean Im so impressed, what did you do to get back your facial movements???

Im dying to know
A.N. 4+cm, 9/11/07 @ NY Presbyterian Hospital, Dr. Phillip Stieg
post opt - partial facial paralysis on left side, total hear loss on left side, speech altered, loss of taste, smell,balance, loss of sensation on right side from shoulder down, low motor skills, eye weight 11/07

Jeanlea

« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2008, 06:40:16 pm »
Lisa,

The biggest thing I did was to let time pass.  While it was passing I did a lot of talking and eating, just using my facial muscles as much as possible.  In the beginning when I had no movement at all, I would lift one eyebrow and move the other side with my finger.  I watched my face a lot looking for movement as I moved the good side.  I would also squeeze my cheek between my thumb and forefinger (one inside my mouth and one of the outside) and pull down towards my mouth.  I read that on the Bells Palsey site.  I also massaged the bad side myself.  Just quick massages every so often.  My attitude was that since the nerve was not cut, it would come back, albeit ever so slowly.  I never had an EMG, but I've always felt the twinges.  I still get them and am still seeing small improvements.  It helps to take photos on a monthly basis and then look back over the years.  It's the years that really show the progress.

Good luck to you.

Jean
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
TransEar for SSD

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2008, 08:29:37 pm »
Jean,

Do you have any synkinesis - at all?

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Jeanlea

« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2008, 08:47:26 pm »
None at all that I can detect.  I went to a facial retrainer in June of 2007 when I was just beginning to get a smile and had some movement.  She said I had no signs of synkinesis.  I am thankful for that. 

Jean
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
TransEar for SSD

Arasha

• El camino es largo y dificil pero no imposible.
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2008, 03:44:58 pm »
It is amazing to know how our body works, Jean you look great!!.  My husband liked to take pics of me to see my progress, I didnt like that, but he was right!! it really helps!!, fortunatelly my recovering was fast and now at almost 1 year after from my "trip at the operation room", my face is almost like before. I can smile and laugh normal. Sports really help!!! I run everyday 7-8 miles, 5 days/week, in fact, I started back to run 1 month after my surgery!!!
Gloria
Left side AN 2.5x1.8 removed on 10/17/2007 endosc. by Dr.Shahinian (retrosig) at SBI, LA,Ca. Facial phalsys (almost back). Balance issues. Tinnitus. MRI 8 months later showed AN was resected completelly.TransEar 11/2008. Clinical trial for SoundBite 11/2009. SoundBite user.I have the best family.

epifania74

« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2008, 07:41:18 pm »
You are an inspiration, there are many of us who have felt down and out.  Seeing your pictures was amazing, it gives me hope that one day i'll be able to smile. At the moment my face is like photo 2.  Yes I will start taking photos every month to see the results. Yeah no high tailing for the mountains when the camera comes out.

Running can help guess I'll have to start jogging on the treadmill again speed up recovery.  I'm trying to remeber why I stopped now I know why my leg had its own rhythm.  Going to also start weight training so I can have some big guns..he..he..Self esteem was at a all time low, but doing these things make you a little bit stronger..I use to rely solely on my husband to get what I wanted at stores. Thats not an issue, I ask for things myself, I speak slowly so that they understand the first time, usually its no prob.

I will start snapping with my camera asap once every month..Well see you later. Thanks for posting those photos..
Tumour size 6 cm.  Operated Feb 2007
Central permanent Tarsorrhaphy  x2 performed Feb 2007 and May 2007
Radiation March 2008
Right facial palsy and total loss of hearing in right ear.

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2008, 07:01:42 am »
Gloria proof again that getting your heat rate up is a great thing for recovery. What was your timeline like? When did movement start for you and how did it progress? I have an eliptical and hate it, I am going to sell it and get a tread mill and get my heart pumping. Well I kind of do that I teach kindergarten and that in itself is a workout.
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Arasha

• El camino es largo y dificil pero no imposible.
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2008, 10:20:52 am »
Michelle,
My face was dropped completelly, I looked like a monster, but:

1 month after : I went back to run and work (driving).
45 days: I started to feel movements close to my mouth, similar when you pull your skin, after that time, everyday I felt movements.
3 months: I had a pretty good smile
4 months: I could close very strong my eye (no patches anymore)
5 months: I said Good bye to eyedrops, got many exams about my vision and the result was excellent!!!
6 months: Got an MRI, it showed that the tumor was resected completelly . Thanks God!!!!
11 months: MY FACE CAME BACK!!!! I met my friends, they didn't know about my AN travel and they did not notice anything wrong onto my face.

Michelle, I need to tell you that I had:

12 sessions of facial theraphy
12 sessions of Balance theraphy
8 sessions of acupunture....and...
I run everyday..

My balance is good, now, at almost 1 year after the operation I can tell you that the time pass fast and I remember that bad time just like a nightmare.

I posted my pic in my profile, but now i see that it is not appearing, I dont know what I did wrong, I will find out and will try to post again my pic.

I agree; kindergarten is a big exercise!!!!

Take care,
Gloria

Left side AN 2.5x1.8 removed on 10/17/2007 endosc. by Dr.Shahinian (retrosig) at SBI, LA,Ca. Facial phalsys (almost back). Balance issues. Tinnitus. MRI 8 months later showed AN was resected completelly.TransEar 11/2008. Clinical trial for SoundBite 11/2009. SoundBite user.I have the best family.

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2008, 11:04:50 am »
Thanks Gloria,
I love to hear others timelines. I think it is important for others while reading yours to note that everyone is different and will recover at different timelines. I feel like I am at the "monster stage".
When did you start your facial therapy? Oh and I am so curious about accupunture. When did you start that? Do you really think it made a difference? I have started getting movement around my mouth that I can see when I pucker  (at 78 days) and since then nothing. I go for a facial assessment this Friday and want to ask all about exercises and accupunture. Better get my list ready (must be a teacher). hehe
Thanks again for going into so much detail.
Michelle  ;D
Oh to post your photo you need to upload it to photo bucket. Then copy the direct link address and post it. PM me if you need help - I am a dork but everyone has helped me and I just did it on my four month update.
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

CROOKEDSMILE

« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2008, 11:05:55 am »
Gloria,
Did you wake up from surgery with complete facial paralysis or was on delayed onset?