Author Topic: Facial Progress  (Read 30581 times)

Jeanlea

Facial Progress
« on: August 24, 2008, 06:53:43 pm »
I have been looking at some photos of me since my AN surgery.  I'm glad I took all those pictures because now I can really see the changes over time.  I went from total paralysis on the left side to being able to make a decent smile.  I was surprised to notice how much change there has been between the years 2 and 3 where I am now.  I'd post them on here, but I can't figure out how.  If someone gives me directions, I'll post them.  I know I would have liked to see something like that back when I had no movement at all.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Kaybo

Re: Facial Progress
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 07:23:10 pm »
Jean~
That is so exciting!  I am so happy for you!  I would not let anyone take pictures of me for a LONG time after my surgery and I really regret that now...I would love to see how far I've come - even though I don't have the facial movement you do, I still know I have walked an incredible journey!!

WHOO-HOO for you!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Boppie

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 08:40:39 pm »
Jeanlea, You can go to frapper and set up a place on the map and create a gallery for yourself on their acoustic neuroma page.  You can insert photos and make a link to post.  You will see several posters there from this forum.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 09:32:21 pm »
Jean -

never used frapper, but I found this to be a very easy way to post pictures:

go to http://photobucket.com and sign up - it's free.

Once you move your photos to photobucket, it's easy to copy the image.  Look for a series of boxes under each photo that say "email & IM", "direct link", "HTML code" and "IMG code"  Position your mouse on IMG code and left click.  A yellow box that says "copied" will appear. 

Next go to the forum and create a new subject.  In the text of the post, just right click with your mouse and chose "paste".

You will see a set of brackets with the letters IMG in them and the address of your photobucket photo inserted between the brackets.

If you have numerous photos to post, just copy and paste each IMG code.

If you want to check and make sure your image(s) copied correctly, just "preview" your message before you hit "post" and you should see your photo in the preview box.

Good luck,

Jan

PS - if you don't want your pictures to be large, you can resize them in photobucket and make them smaller.
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 08:41:04 am »
Hi Jean:  I can remember back 2 years ago & your pictures have amazed me.  It's been a long, rough road & you RAN thru it ! !

Always good thoughts,  Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 04:35:26 pm »
Hi Jean,
Pictures are a good thing (although I wanted to run from the camera). I took pictures every two week and now I take them monthly. WOW it really does help (I don't show them to anyone) and I can see how far I have come. Also when I look back I know how much better I feel. Time heals all!
I will post mine too as time goes on.
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Jeanlea

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 08:32:52 am »
Okay, here are my pics.  I managed to put them on here, but I still don't know how to resize them.

July 2006
  September 2007
August 2008
August 2009

Thanks for the help, Leapyrtwins.

Jean
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 08:49:54 pm by Jeanlea »
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
TransEar for SSD

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 08:37:38 am »
Jean, not going to resize the pics at all.. as they are fabulous to show the progress and the biggest is most definately the most awesome with the progress it shows! :)  thanks for sharing these!!!!!

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 09:05:45 am »
Thank you Jean. I sometimes feel quite hopeless at not quite 3 months out of surgery. It helps a lot to see your progress. You look great!

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

lori67

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 09:17:08 am »
Wow Jean!

You look fantastic!  Whatever you're doing is working!

I'm so happy for you!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 09:24:30 am »
Jean-

Totally awesome!  Thank you SO much for sharing these pictures.  For all of us with facial paralysis, this is so good to see.  It also serves as a reminder that we should not get discouraged just because progress is slow.  The difference between your pictures is just remarkable, although I am sure that it felt like nothing was happening.

Wow.  Thanks again.

Debbi, holding out lots of hope
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

michela

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 10:31:14 am »
hi! You really look great, I wouldn't notice your palsy if you didn't tell me about it!! Did you have an EMG? what was the prognosis for your palsy?

I don't know if some of you remember me; I am the italian girl that had the nerve graft three months and a half ago. I hope to see soon some improvements; I am waiting to post my photos too! :D
Ciao ciao!!

Kaybo

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 11:29:23 am »
Jean~
Incredible!!!   ;D

Michela~
Good to hear from you again!!  How are you??

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jeanlea

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 11:48:13 am »
Yes, it did feel like there was no change from day to day.  It's only by looking back over a long period of time that I see it.  I started out as a 6 on the House scale.  I kept looking for someone else who had shown improvement to give me hope in those early days.  I did hear from some people on here that helped me.  My theory was that if the nerve was not severed it should eventually come back.

I had no EMGs done.  In fact, at my 6 month check up my doctor told me that my face would not come back.  So even though it's not perfect now I'm happy with how much of it has returned.

I'm glad sharing these photos help. 

Jean

September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
TransEar for SSD

CROOKEDSMILE

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 02:42:52 pm »
oh wow.......I would love to see the pictures so that I can see that improvements continue to happen even after that first and second year!
ANgie