Author Topic: Facial Progress  (Read 30585 times)

Arasha

• El camino es largo y dificil pero no imposible.
Re: Facial Progress
« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2008, 11:12:39 am »
CROOKEDSMILE, I woke up with complete facial paralysis, I asked for a mirror, my husband hided all of them.
Gloria
Left side AN 2.5x1.8 removed on 10/17/2007 endosc. by Dr.Shahinian (retrosig) at SBI, LA,Ca. Facial phalsys (almost back). Balance issues. Tinnitus. MRI 8 months later showed AN was resected completelly.TransEar 11/2008. Clinical trial for SoundBite 11/2009. SoundBite user.I have the best family.

Arasha

« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2008, 11:22:21 am »
Dear Michelle,
I started facial theraphy 1 month after, but right after the surgery my husband used to make soft massages. 
after completing the 12 sessions (1 session every other day), it means 2 months ather the surgery I felt that I was improving but not as much as i would like, so I decided to take accupunture sessions everyday for 25 minutes.  I should get more sessions of accupunture but I need to travel so I had to stop.

I can not tell you what really helped me, I thinks it was all that I got, i just felt that I needed to do something.  The doctor told me that I dont need nothing and the face would come back automatically, just soft massages everyday, but I could not just keep waiting.
Gloria
I am trying to set the photo, thanks for your help.
Left side AN 2.5x1.8 removed on 10/17/2007 endosc. by Dr.Shahinian (retrosig) at SBI, LA,Ca. Facial phalsys (almost back). Balance issues. Tinnitus. MRI 8 months later showed AN was resected completelly.TransEar 11/2008. Clinical trial for SoundBite 11/2009. SoundBite user.I have the best family.

lifeisgood

« Reply #62 on: October 13, 2008, 10:33:59 am »
I wanted to check in to give hope to all who are stressing over facial recovery.
4 years post surgery, my face is improving.
I saw a facial retrainer and had botox.
I am considering going back for the botox since the dimple in my chin is back.
I avoid cameras and hate pictures but finally included one in my profile.
I finally added bangs to my face which greatly help with the lines which appear on 1/2 my forehead.

Keep the faith.
Mary
3.4cm AN surgically removed 3/04
by Dr. Wiet and Kazan at Hinsdale Hospital in Illinois.
Translab approach

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2008, 12:43:53 pm »
Thanks, Mary. I think your picture looks nice. How long did it take you to see your first movement?

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

MKLady

« Reply #64 on: October 13, 2008, 01:46:42 pm »
Mary,

Thank you so much for sharing your photo.  I also think you look wonderful.  It is so encouraging to know that as far out as four years there is still improvement.  I had a doctor tell me this week that it's been six month so the nerve probably won't recover.  It was just very matter of fact as if he was saying "too bad, ballgame over, you'll never get better".  He was actually nicer about it than that, but he still offered no hope.  I need to give him this web address so he can see for himself that throwing in the towel at six months is not the answer!!

Susan
Translab 4/10/2008; 1.3 cm; total facial paralysis left side.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #65 on: October 13, 2008, 02:33:45 pm »

I had a doctor tell me this week that it's been six month so the nerve probably won't recover.  It was just very matter of fact as if he was saying "too bad, ballgame over, you'll never get better". 

Do NOT believe this!  ... 14 months and my brow just started showing some movement ...

6 months is a "ball park" average ... it is really a 3 months to 3 years range...

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

MKLady

« Reply #66 on: October 13, 2008, 05:41:24 pm »
THank you DHM!  Fortunately he was not my surgeon.  But he will make recommendations and report his findings to the surgeon.  I'm so glad I talk to ya'll about this before seeing the surgeon. 

Susan
Translab 4/10/2008; 1.3 cm; total facial paralysis left side.

lifeisgood

« Reply #67 on: October 13, 2008, 06:05:26 pm »
Sara,
It's hard for me to recall the first movement.  I had a son who turned 1 approx 6 weeks after my surgery and I had a birthday family party for him. I have pictures of myself and my face still looked "stuck"  I would say the first couple of months, I had a little movement.  Today I can almost pull up my upper lip evenly to expose all my top teeth.  That wasn't the case before.
I try not to smile too big on the bottom so I don't have the crooked smile.  My eye is looking pretty good when I smile.  It doesn't close like it used to.  It still looks smaller but hey, it probably always was like that.
:)

I think visualization is helpful.  At night, I practice deep breathing and imagine my face releasing.  I have a definite heavier crease on the right side. I feel like I sleep with a constant clench.  Massage definitely helps.  Also, warm cloths.

Best of luck.
:)
Mary
3.4cm AN surgically removed 3/04
by Dr. Wiet and Kazan at Hinsdale Hospital in Illinois.
Translab approach

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #68 on: February 05, 2009, 07:57:47 pm »
Hi there Jean:    Just have to say again,  your pictures are wonderful ! !    These are pictures of a natural progression, - paralysis to movement -  beautiful !
Always good thoughts,   Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

amaguarda

« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2009, 11:38:01 am »
i love those pictures you have on pg. 1
it really does give hope seeing someone look great like that. i was thinking of having t3 surgery but looking at those pictures makes me second guess that decision. i am at almost 2 1/2 years and i have noticed some small changes, i got tired of doing the physical therapy so i havent gone, honestly i notice more changes now than i did w/ p. t.
does your eye blink? again, you really do look great
had 4.5 cmAN tumor removed on september 11, 2006

Jeanlea

« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2009, 09:10:11 pm »
Amaguarda,

I'm glad that my pictures give you hope.  Is your facial nerve intact?  Mine was not cut during surgery, just severely squashed apparently.  lol  I did not have any real facial therapy.  I met with a facial therapist once after a year and a half, but that was it.  I just used my face a lot.  I am a teacher and went back  to work after 8 weeks so I get a daily facial workout talking to my students.  No, I do not blink normally.  I can close my eye and open it though.  I run which helps with the blood flow to the face.  I don't know if it really makes a difference or not, but I tell myself it does. 

I added you on my yahoo messenger. 

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2009, 04:56:43 pm »
"I do not blink normally"

I am 8 months post op and do not blink normally either. I can tell it is trying to.
Does the normal blink ever return to someone who has experienced facial paralysis?
Hoping praying that my blink returns. The eye is a pain in the @$$. I am becoming very discouraged with my eye.
Michelle  :'(
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2009, 05:23:31 pm »
Michelle, what's the word on an eyelid implant? Weren't you on a waiting list for the first of the year?

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2009, 09:13:00 pm »
Hi there Michelle:   You're only 8 months post op,  you still have a couple of years of healing to do...
your nerves are still 'waking up', & it takes the eye area the longest time to come back.
you're still on the road to recovery,  patience,  patience (there's that word again !).
I am so happy for you that your nerves ARE returning ! !  WHOO - HOO ! ! ! ! !
Continued healing my friend,    always good thoughts,  Nancy

« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 09:18:11 pm by nancyann »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Arasha

« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2009, 11:00:32 am »
Michelle;

DON'T GIVE UP!!! Your face will come back, just be patience, remember step by step !!!. Time pass fast. It has been only 8 months, try to blink us much as you can although it doesn't blink normally, that helps!!!

Gloria