Author Topic: numb face  (Read 6428 times)

Karen

numb face
« on: August 18, 2010, 07:10:23 pm »
I've had a numb left side of my face and eye since my surgery 7 years ago.  Do any of you with the numbness feel like you have been shot full of novicane from the dentist all of the time.  Some people say they just don't have feeling but mine feels like I'be been to the dentist all the time and it still bothers me after all these years.  Sometimes it hurts just to touch that side and I stillo haven't figured out what triggers that .  My trigeminal nerve was damaged so I guess that is the problem.  I've quite complaining it doen's do any good but on the days that it feeks the worst that's all I can think about.  Anyone else feel this way?  Karen
Karen
     Surgery 12-17-03, nerve graft 1-04, 3.5 cm, facial paralysis, numbness and no hearing in left ear

lori78

Re: numb face
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 07:25:59 pm »
oh my, I just logged on and found this message-- I'm an ANA group leader, but have not kept up w this site!  I find that my needs haven't been met...as my tumor was large, I was only 28 (now am 32), and most people in the group are 'older, watching and waiting' over tumors much smaller than mine.

Mine was the size of tangerine, pushing my brain into the shape of a C.  I only had balance symptoms, misdiagnosed as inner ear infections.  I am a music therapist...after 30 hrs of surgery, I had to learn my left side all over again.  Super hard!!

At any rate, I have not been able to feel the left side of my face for 2+ yrs.  I get 'lightning impulse' pain and 'regular' novacaine-feeling is constant.  My tumor is still pressing on my trigeminal nerve all the time. It SUX!!!!

So, yes, I feel your pain!
Lori, Left AN,  2 translab surgeries and GK radiation, 3.5 cm x 3.5 cm, Dr. Singh Sahni and Drs Fred and Wayne Schia, Chippenham Johnston-Willis, Richmond, VA. Deaf in left, temp paralysis post surg 1/07

Funnydream

• Texas in my room crying. Guys can't cry. DARN IT.
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 05:42:05 am »
I've only had a numb face for about 2 months now. And now I'm scared I will have it for life after reading your post. I do know as well as you know that there is nothing wrong with your face. Its the nerve on the way to your brain. And that seams to make it better for me. I like laying on a soft pillow on my numb left side and tripping out on the feeling. I image after 7 years. Your flat out tired of it.

TV takes my mind off it the best.
Age 42, AN left, 2.8cm
left hearing gone, balance getting better.
16 hour Surgery 9-27-10 CSF leak fix 10-4-10 3 hours
Miracle I feel my left face and tongue again.
If we evolved from monkeys into humans? When do we stop being human and become something else? What would that something else be?

missya2j

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 12:51:55 pm »
I had surgery to remove a tumor in July of 2002 and the left side of my face and tongue is still numb.  Yes, feels like a shot from the dentist all the time and it actually bothers me worse than not being able to hear at all in my left ear.  A lot of times, I will use a face mask when I'm at home by myself on the right side of my face just so it will feel a bit like the left side.  I hope one day there will be something they can do to repair nerve damage.  I really shouldn't complain because God is good and I thank Him that I'm alive.  I have a lot of blessings to be thankful for.

God Bless,

Lori

Kathleen_Mc

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 03:44:14 am »
Face still numb after 20 years! The only "feeling" I get is the infrequent shocks (like when you lick a 9 volt battery, the same sensation but in my cheek) the occur on their own or I can produce them by tapping the other cheek (I had a cross facial nerve graft done)
I don't really think about it anymore, unless someone tries to console me by caressing my face and I'm in a bad mood,,,,, then I snap "don't bother, I can't feel it!"
1st AN surgery @ age 23, 16 hours
Loss of 7-10th nerves
mulitple "plastic" repairs to compensate for effects of 7th nerve loss
tumor regrowth, monitored for a few years then surgically removed @ age 38 (of my choice, not medically necessary yet)

sarahinPA

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 07:59:08 pm »
I also have facial numbness, which was my first AN symptom. My doctor has determined mine to be nerve damage which may or may not heal. I often describe my feeling as novacaine from the dentist, so yes, I know your feeling. This feeling is in my tounge into my forehead, and my scalp. Bothersome at times, but my biggest complaint is not knowing if i have food on my face! my numbness has gotten better, or i dont notice it as much in the last year.

I wish you luck, and relief from your symptoms.
2.3cm Diagnosed 12/19/08
Gamma Knife @ UPMC Pittsburgh 1/12/09
.2mm Regrowth 6/2011
Translab 7/29/11 @ UPMC
     temporary paralysis of throat-feeding tube 8 days; SSD; facial numbness; blood clot & pnemonia developed; 11 days hospital stay.

reg

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 10:36:26 pm »
i like u still have facial numbness along with other things.  ive had nerve conduction test n tried everything i guess we are all wired different i too thank god to b alive hopefully somen will come about 1 day
4.5 cm retro surgical removal dec 06

darnett

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 03:00:50 pm »
I had my surgery in Jan 11 and awoke to a numb right side of my face....it feels exactly like I've been to a dentist and shot with Novocaine. No matter what I do I have no feeling. I haven't gotten to the stage of "I'm thankful to be alive" but I hope to one day if this persists. Good luck!
7cm AN removed January 2,2011....  No hearing, facial paralysis, eye problems all on right side