Author Topic: Facial Progress  (Read 30473 times)

CROOKEDSMILE

Re: Facial Progress
« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2009, 01:47:08 pm »
GLoria and to anyone else this pertains to....
Was your paralysis considered immediate and complete meaning nothing worked when you awoke from surgery? Did your blink ever return to normal? Blinks fast, etc. Is your smile a little weaker?
Any exercises that you recommend and are you still seeing progress?
Angie
It's weird....I have a little smile but it doesn't come easy and natural. Does it ever get strong enough that you can just smile without so much effort?

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2009, 08:24:46 pm »
Hi Sara, Nancy and Gloria,

I had an appointment to have a lower lid tuck and a weight put in on January 30th (three months after my consultation), the same day I had an EMG  and it showed that my eye had started to regenerate. While I waited for the surgery the lower lid tightened up (not 100% but pretty close) and I can close my eye with a 2mm lag. It looks almost the same as my good eye except my brow sags a bit and the obvious, it doesn't blink.   I still tape it at night and really I am quite used to it and it doesn't bother me anymore. Soooooo I thought how would the weight help? The other factor was that I really did not want more surgery. I am scarred for life- literally and figuratively.

Hindsight is 20/20 and I feel that I should have been offered the weight right from the start. I woke up with facial paralysis and the eye has been and still is the biggest pain in the @$$. I would recommend getting it right away...the nerve usually does not start regenerating until 3 months and still can regenerate 3 years later. Sticking it out was dumb and I suffered unneccesarily.

I have been a bit bummed about my eye because I feel that there is a bit of a race. Can my face regenerate and can I enjoy my face looking a wee bit more 'normal' before I need to deal with the remaining tumour?  If the remaining tumour grows I will be faced with how to deal with it and the possiblity of losing facial function again... temporarily or permanently . I try hard and am coping fine but honestly if I had to go through this again it just might kill me (wow writing this is really helping me face my fears) I am afraid.... not so much about dying anymore, but more about losing the quality of life that I enjoy and struggled so hard to get back after surgery.

It is what it is...why me? Why not me? This is my reality and I refuse to hide my head in the sand. I want to face this head on and at times it is tough. We all have our issues...and  I feel sharing mine will help others feel not so alone. I know that this forum has been extremely helpful in my recovery. I am blessed.

Michelle  ;D
« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 02:58:47 pm by mimoore »
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Arasha

• El camino es largo y dificil pero no imposible.
« Reply #77 on: February 13, 2009, 11:47:02 am »
Hi CROOKEDSMILE, the answer is yes, after the surgery I awoke with complete paralysis, my blink is normal now,  In the mornings I try to blink as much as possible to keep lubricated and exercised my eye, I can blink 99% similar to my right eye.

MICHELE, CROOKEDSMILE and anyone:  the first months I was thinking I will be like that forever, but as many people here in this forum is recovering, I am another proof of that, just it takes time, the process is SLOW but our faces come back. Yesterday I was collecting photos in which you can see my recovery, if you are interested please send me your personal email address and I will be glad to send you.

:)
Gloria

Left side AN 2.5x1.8 removed on 10/17/2007 endosc. by Dr.Shahinian (retrosig) at SBI, LA,Ca. Facial phalsys (almost back). Balance issues. Tinnitus. MRI 8 months later showed AN was resected completelly.TransEar 11/2008. Clinical trial for SoundBite 11/2009. SoundBite user.I have the best family.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #78 on: February 13, 2009, 04:16:51 pm »
Hi there everyone:   Michelle: It is so good to know that your face/movement is coming back.  & Gloria,  that yours is back !
& Angie,   your pictures are beautiful,  your movement has been on the recovery road !
As you guys know,  I had nothing from surgery on, so for me the eye weight is a MUST !   It stops the 'skeleton' look, allows me to blink
when I squeeze my eyes shut.   I continue to use Refresh PM 24/7.
I have thought about 'what if the tumor comes back ?'    I already know I would want radiation instead of surgery - couldn't go thru that
again.   I know others went the surgery route 2, 3 times - I don't have that strength.   & yes, Michelle,  it is a scary thought .....

So,  2/27/09 I have my 'pyrex tube' surgery to stop the tear buildup in my AN eye, hopefully that's it - for surgery,  for awhile.....

Oh, Michelle,  hang in there & 'wait' on the continued facial return,  after a few years, if you need it,  I would definitely get a 'brow lift' - I had it done
so I know how you feel.    & everyone,   whatever we need done to give us a more symmetric appearance after 'mother nature' has done all she can (Jean has allowed this to happen), go for it.    I know I will continue to need my non - AN side botoxed, filled, whatever, to keep it looking as young as my paralyzed side !

Always good thoughts,    Nancy

« Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 04:36:13 pm by nancyann »
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Jeanlea

« Reply #79 on: February 13, 2009, 10:11:31 pm »
I have to share what happened with me today.  It was our Valentine's Day party at school and the students shared Valentine's with each other.  One student put each child's class picture on the envelope along with the name.  So I got one too.  I was mentioning to one of my students that I didn't like my picture.  She said, "Why? It looks nice."  I replied, "Yes, I guess so.  At least I'm smiling.  A couple of years ago I had my picture taken and the principal told me to smile nicely.  My students told him, 'She can't smile.'"  My student looked at me like I was not telling the truth. I told her, "No, really.  A couple of years ago I couldn't smile."  She seemed so surprised because she sees me smile now.  Guess my smile has made some good progress.  That was the best part of my Valentine party.

Happy Valentine's Day to all of my AN friends,
Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Kaybo

« Reply #80 on: February 13, 2009, 10:25:48 pm »
Jean~
What a GREAT story and SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad you have made so much progress!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

mimoore

• Believe!
« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2009, 09:04:14 am »
Hi Jean,
That is such a wonderful story.
Yesterday one of my kindergarten students said "Yipeee your smile is waking up!" 
Life is good.
Michelle  ;D
Retrosigmond surgery on June 4th, 2008 for an AN. 100% hearing loss and facial paralysis (was not prepared for facial paralysis). Size: 2.3 cm, 2.1 cm, 1.8 cm. some tumour remains along facial nerve. Pray for no regrowth. Misdiagnosed for 10 yrs.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2009, 02:09:24 pm »
Jean:

You're always quietly inspirational - and much appreciated around here.  Thanks for that poignant story - and congratulations on your ever-widening smile!  :)

Happy Valentine's Day!

Jim
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 12:30:05 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Jeanlea

« Reply #83 on: August 23, 2009, 08:53:02 pm »
Since I've got a new pic I decided to compare it to the one I took at this time last year. I can see some continued improvement and it will be four years in early September.  I posted the pic on the first page of this thread as an addition to my other pics.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #84 on: August 23, 2009, 09:04:21 pm »
Hi Jean, you continue to be my inspiration. I'm glad you posted the new pic. Looking good!

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #85 on: August 23, 2009, 11:12:40 pm »
I went back to page one to look...

Jean you look just FAB!!!! Thanks so much for sharing this- it gives me hope.

DHM
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #86 on: August 24, 2009, 03:57:54 pm »
Jean- You look so good!  And, yes, I agree that yellow is definitely "your" color.  Thanks so much for updating this!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

ilsemor

• 1.4mm, translab at House w/Dr. Slattery 7/6/09
« Reply #87 on: May 12, 2011, 05:45:47 pm »
I'm so glad to see your pictures, I will have my two year anniversary next July, and just today I had some strange feeling on my upper lip, it feels fuller for some reason, now I know that there's a lot of room for more recovery.  THANK YOU FOR POSTING YOUR PICTURES...U BRING HOPE TO OTHERS!