Author Topic: Pet Therapy  (Read 23235 times)

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Pet Therapy
« on: December 02, 2007, 10:46:45 am »
Hi Family!

It has been a really rough year for me since I lost my beloved Ursa who nursed me through my surgery and subsequent 4 years of unexpected headache hell. I have quit walking my road because it is very winding and has no shoulders to speak of and I had trained her to "hear" the cars for me and make a beeline for me and velco herself to my legs when one came zooming around a curve. She walked beside me without a leash. She was a Black Lab and very calm natured and unbelievably smart and obedient.  She could sense a migraine coming on me and would lay in bed with me until it went away. Losing her very suddenly in Oct of 06 was devastating.

Dr Love and I have decided to adopt another pup and have found a  breeder who has a pregnant female whose pups will be ready late January! They are.... (what else for a chocolate-tanker-plundering lady-pirate)...Chocolate Labs!
A Chocolate Pup for a chocoholic! I'm so excited that I'm doing this!
All of you people out there with pre-treatment anxieties and post-treatment issues know how important having a pet around you is. (Thinking of Static on this one!) I have felt that someting is missing around this house for a year. It has just felt empty. I have felt empty. (I'm a veterinarian's daughter--we always had lots of critters.)

This lil brown puppy will need a name.  I'm taking suggestions. Also would love input on how your pet has helped you through your AN journey.

Thanks!

Capt Deb

« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 04:54:40 pm by Captain Deb »
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

4cm in Pacific Northwest

Re: Pet Therapy
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 11:58:37 am »
"Hershey" ?  ;) :D

Cheers,

P.S. My yellow lab is "Sandy". Both his parents were chocolate however in their litter were 8 males - 4 yellow and 4 chocolate. He has turned out to be a self-trained service dog for me too.

This has been recommended to me
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2005-11,GGLD:en&q=stanely+coren+intellegence+of+dogs

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 12:17:48 pm »
A girl pup is clearly a Lady Godiva!    ;D

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 12:47:17 pm »
Pattie Melt - wait a minute - is that a candy or a burger?
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 02:16:17 pm »

I have a Lab mix too !!  I've always had a dog -- as a kid and now... they are truly mans (and womans) best friend .. true unconditional love... they prove that hatred is a learned response.
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 02:23:50 pm »
How about Baci?  It's a chocolate candy made by Perugina & the word means Kiss...

I'm very jealous of anyone with a pet - I'm highly allergic to dogs & cats - when I lived in Maine I had a bloodhound I loved, I was always broken out head to toe & lived on Benadryl......
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

solecleansing

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 02:57:29 pm »
So happy to hear about your new addition.  How about Cocoa?

I have a cockapoo, Charly, that has been with me every step of the way.   He is 2 years old and I've had him since he was 8 weeks.  He is my first dog and It is hard to imagine what life would be without him.   He has offered me unconditional love and friendship.

Best wishes with your new pup.

Judy

Static

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 03:05:59 pm »
Congrats Deb!  I'm glad to hear you are going ahead with getting a pup!  Roxy and Zoey think you should wait until you get him or her to see what the personality is like before you find a name.  It's a good idea to get some thought of, but you might name her Zippy and she ends up acting like a Lumpy, if ya know what I mean!  Anyway, here's hoping January comes really fast for ya, I know I'd be going crackers if I had to wait a whole month or so until I was gonna bring home my little darling!  Time to start getting the nursery ready!
~Karen
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 04:08:50 pm »
... that and rawhides for the teething stage  :D . Nothing is sacred to a puppy - they chew on shoes, paint brushes, irrigation, bedding plants, dig up your spring bulbs (for sure if planted with bonemeal)... you almost get mad at them until you realize where "puppy eyes" come from.

So who is going to get up in the night with the puppy. Interesting that my husband slept through the kids crying in the night ... but always gets up for the dog LOL :D

Then there is the lab near a body of water (ie can't resist) and the wet-dog smell in the car ride home... ;)

Oh what joy! Well Captian Deb if you are off line more than usual- we will know why.

;D

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2007, 04:32:56 pm »
Mrs. Butterworth?
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

marg

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2007, 04:40:51 pm »
Deb, I'm so happy for you... I've never had a dog.(I'm allergic to dogs and cats..)... I heard recently that there are dogs that  cause less allergic reactions.  My husband and I have been thinking about getting that kind of a dog.... might next year after both our girls move out. 
    Can't wait to hear more about your puppy in January.
Margaret
Marg 
 4 mm  AN removed .. middle fossa   5/07 OHSU  Dr. Delashaw
AN scraped off facial nerve & balance nerve removed
 MRI  follow up showed AN gone ... thank you God
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2007, 05:06:10 pm »
We have river front property, we just walk down the driveway and plop! we are right in the Watauga river. Not very wide, maybe 50 feet and just a few feet deep, but if we wade upstream a bit there's a pretty deep hole for swimming.  Great trout fishing, too.  My Ursa never chewed up a thing! Just her chew toys. I work at home so I'll be able to watch her and give her enough exercise so she won't get nervous or frustrated.

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2007, 05:26:34 pm »
Deb, I'm so happy for you... I've never had a dog.(I'm allergic to dogs and cats..)... I heard recently that there are dogs that  cause less allergic reactions.  My husband and I have been thinking about getting that kind of a dog.... might next year after both our girls move out. 
    Can't wait to hear more about your puppy in January.
Margaret

Marqaret and Nancyann ... some breds of dogs have dont have fur but its more like hair.. does not shed like fur *and does not get all over the house* it keeps growing longer and longer and you have to get it cut all the times like we do for ours! these dogs are less of a allergic problem...

we have one dog... and 2 cats. the cats are brother and sister.. and like most brothers and sisters.. once in a while.... they fight -- and its like a fur bomb goes off... cat hair is everywhere and screams like they are killing each other..  and the dog actually trys to make them stop -- gets between them -- something I'm sometimes afraid to do .
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2007, 05:36:50 pm »
I was around a Wheaton Terrier (?sp) a couple of years ago & had no problems at all -  unfortunately I've lived in a condo for 10 years now that doesn't allow dogs.  When I win the lotto & buy a house, a Wheaton Terrier is coming with me! (but boy do I love bloodhounds - they are the most loving dogs I've ever met)...

retrosigmoid 6/19/06
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
right facial paralysis

vcschaub

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2007, 06:03:00 pm »
Having a dog so wonderful. We have two female beagles, a 12 year old called Diva and a new, 6 month old called Tippy. They are such a comfort and soooo wonderful to come home to - such unconditional love.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 06:05:45 pm by vcschaub »
6mm
Middle Fossa November 8, 2005
Drs Brackmann and Hitselberger
House Ear