Author Topic: Pet Therapy  (Read 23165 times)

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
Re: Pet Therapy
« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2007, 06:41:14 pm »

Dr Love found this picture for me. I just had to post it. Enjoy!

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2007, 07:10:11 pm »
I think the puppy needs a pirate name - however, I have no decent suggestions.

Anyone??????????
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2007, 07:27:51 pm »
Love the Lab puppies!  Great picture.  No Hershey names though, Hershey is moving the plant to Mexico!  How sad for PA.  I think it is hard to name a baby until you see it!  Whatever you decide will be perfect.
I wouldn't have known what to do without my Pug when I was recuperating.  She was my constant companion and my "ears."  My baby Pug has saved me many times since Sara Sunshine passed away in August and now my new little Boston Terrier Miss Martha Jane warms my heart.  She makes me feel like I can take care of something else because she is making great strides.  I guess we help each other.  I recommend pet therapy for everyone.
Wet noses are the best!

Hugs,
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Static

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2007, 09:24:15 pm »

After awhile, you're going to want another one so they can play together.  Don't they look cute in pairs  :)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 09:26:47 pm by Static »
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

TP

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2007, 10:52:21 pm »
Captain Deb, we had a 13 year old black lab (Sheta) and we put her down (she had cancer) in 1989 and we still cry over losing her. She was the most friendly dog, everyone loved her. However, we got a white german shepherd about 7 years ago. She is the BEST - dog hair and lots of it! She is like the one you had she doesn't need a leash and walks and run with us and never leaves our side. She has a mean bark and is a great watch dog!

When I was recovering from my AN, my shepherd and two cats sat with me in my bedroom while I had to administer antibiotics via a a pic line 6 hours a day. My pets never left my side. They sat at my feet and watched me. They knew something was wrong (probabaly cuz I looked like crap.)

I work out of my house and they sit in my office all day. The cats jump on my desk and mess my papers up and walk on my laptop but they entertain me which is great since I have no one to talk too during the day. When I am tired one of them comes and sits next to me. If I am happy they want to play and if I am hungry - well so are they.

A brown lab is a great choice. I have to agree with some of the other folks, I like the pirate thing...Patch, Patches,  Hook, Captain..oh well, I can't think of anymore. Whatever you name it, being a LAB, it will love it no matter what!

Love reading your posts. You are a neat lady!

4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2007, 07:29:19 am »
Okay, I'm a little slow, but that's nothin new.....just found this posting and I think it's terrific Deb!

I am so happy for you, as I know the importance of a faithful companion to help you through those tuff and ruff days!  Blu, my son's bullmastiff, was by my side CONSTANTLY when I recuped at his house one week after surgery.  He came to our house just before Wilma hit us (eye went over our house) and was my "ever faithful" companion on our walks that I used as therapy.  He seems to know about the not hearing thing, noises being too loud, when I'm growing weak in the legs and about to fall backwards.  He'll nuzzle my hand at these times, come to a complete halt and makes me stop to stand a while to recuperate a bit so I can then make it home safely.  I didn't put two and two together as to why he decided it was time to lay down in the grass, but then again, I'm slowwwwww to catch on.  These quiet moments helped me in more ways than one!  Now we have our daughters bullmastiff.  She's much bigger than Blu and it is Blu who provides the teaching to Zara to stay calm.  They don't mind my bumping into them on our walks and will move to one side so I have more room to stagger around.  I would like to know your lessons on how you taught your lab to protect you when a car came up on your deaf side. 

January isn't too far away Deb, I'm very excited for you.  I told hubby when the kids come for their significant others, we're getting our own bullmastiff! 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2007, 10:09:23 am »
Eric taught Ursa that one. When we would be out walking and heard a car he would call for her with a very urgent tone in his voice and pretty soon she just put two and two together: sound of car means come "right now" and sit by Mommy. Pretty soon he didn't even need to be there. She just knew to do it. Smart dog.

I really love hearing all these stories of how your pets aided your recoveries! They are just great.

I wanted to name her Bonney after notorious lady pirate Anne Bonney, but Eric had a dog named Bonnie who met an untimely end a long time ago and it would too painful for him.  Need to research more notorious lady pirates!

Capt Deb
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 10:13:45 am by Captain Deb »

lori67

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2007, 10:37:21 am »
I had a friend who had a chocolate lab named Askem.  So when she'd be out on a walk and people would stop to pet him and ask his name , she'd just say "Askem".  And of course they would look at her like she was crazy.  Ok, well, maybe she is, but it was good for a few laughs when some people would actually ask the dog his name.

My golden retriever was a good caretaker to me too.  She would sleep right by the side of my bed and stick her cold wet nose in my face every so often.  Now that she knows I'm feeling better, she practically knocks me over when I get up in the morning - it's like she hasn't seen me in weeks or something.  I still think she likes the kids better - they're the ones that have to share their cookies and are more likely to drop something good to eat on the floor for her to clean up.

We're thinking of getting another one to keep her company too.  We had to put down our greyhound last year and you can tell she misses him.  It's so sad.

Can't wait to see pictures of the new deckhand.  I like the name Captain someone suggested.  How about Schooner?  Or Dinghy, if it's like most lab puppies!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2007, 03:24:34 pm »
Capt,
  Shouldn't a pirate dog be named ScallyWag?  Other suggestions; Booty, Blunder, Grog.
Rob

PS We have a 10 month old Samoyed.  He's been a great reason to get out for walks.  I'll see if I can dig up a photo to post.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 03:28:10 pm by HeadCase2 »
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

Captain Deb

• Captain Deb
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2007, 03:51:16 pm »
Gonna be a wench dog, folks.  I'd call her Schooner in a hearbeat if she was gonna be a he. I looked up she-pirate names. Seems there was a pirate named Sadie the Goat who plundered the Carolina coast in the early 1800's.

Capt Deb

TP

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2007, 04:36:55 pm »
I love the name "Sadie". I can see a brown lab name Sadie!
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

Static

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2007, 08:36:59 pm »
Sadie is a good one, Zoey almost got Sadie but that was too lady like for her, she's a little to crazy for a name like that!  Zoey suits her better :)  The two of mine are now wrestling all over the house as I write this.  After we had some snow yesterday, then rain last night, they ran through all the puddles this morning.  They had a blast.   Sometimes when they goof around with each other, they talk too, most of the time it's Roxy who does the talking and it's so funny when she does.  It's especially cute when they are playing tug o' war with a toy (instead of each others ears or faces).  They are very protective of each other though, so I know that when they do play like that, it is just play, after all, they don't have hands so they have no choice but to use their mouths.  Getting a playmate for Zoey was a good choice, I'm glad they have each other because as much time as we were spending with Zoey, she needed more and now they have each other :)  My husband works nights some times and Zoey keeps my feet warm and Roxy cuddles up in my arms.  When I open my eyes in the morning, she looks at me and gives me puppy kisses.  What a way to wake up in the morning! 
~Karen
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

matti

« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2007, 09:16:18 am »
karen,

Congrats on the latest arrival!!  Zoey and Roxy are beautiful  ;D

My Cosmo who is now 11 can't jump on the bed anymore and snuggle with me, but sleeps on the floor right next to me and I still get a wet nose and puppy kisses every morning. He's been my lifesaver since I became an empty nester.

Hugs,
Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Gennysmom

• Genny says "La!"
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2007, 10:18:45 am »
Can't wait to see your pup Captain!  Sadie is good!  I'll think on this!!!!  My neighbors have a brand new chocolate lab puppy (someone threw her out of a window of a moving car and they rescued her).  She's a sweetie.  They named her Coco, and it fits.

My Lhasa puppy, Rinnie (Nee Tenzing Rinchen Pasang) has been the best since surgery.  She completely adapted on day one to the fact that I couldn't whistle for her anymore, and she is my ears.  She always sits next to me in every room, and she's not a yapper, but will bark if there's anyone or anything near the house.  She's the one that woke me up and let me know something was wrong when my neighbor's house wen't up in flames a month ago.  It would be so much harder without her being my ears.  I used to be a cat person, still love them, but they just can't help like a dog can.  I will never be without another dog again.

3.1cm x 2.0cm x 2.1cm rt AN Translab 7/5/06
CSF leak 7/17/06 fixed by 8 day lumbar drain
Dr. Backous, Virgina Mason Seattle
12/26/07 started wearing TransEar

Static

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2007, 09:43:44 pm »
Thanks Matti.  Get Cosmo steps so she can climb up anyway!  I have to lift Roxy up because our bed is kinda high for her still, but she just sits there and waits for me.  She is 1-1/2 yrs younger than Zoey and yet so much calmer, go figure!  Kathleen, I think the person who threw the dog out of the window of a moving car should have that done to them to see how they would like it!  That is so horrible.  Thank goodness for your neighbors being good people and taking her in to rescue her.  I can't imagine the kind of person who would do something like that to a helpless animal.  What kind of world do we live in anyway?  Something like that could never happen here.  Seriously, sometimes my husband says that this house is maintained solely for the comfort and convenience of the dogs, especially when I told him last summer that he could get an 18' pool only if he built a ramp so that Zoey could get into it! LOL  The things we do for our dogs because they do so much for us and ask for so little in return.  There's nothing better than a furry hug and a big wet slobbery kiss first thing in the morning, and I'm not talkin about Mr. Static either!   ;)
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right