Author Topic: Regional Section to Forum - All hail from Boston, please sign in here! :)  (Read 46363 times)

ColorLady

Hi,
Why do you think the Boston group has lost its leader? I am and have been the Boston Support Group leader ever since my diagnosis in 2001! We have meetings twice a year. If you are a member of ANA you should be receiving announcements by mail of these meetings if you live within a certain radius of Boston. If you do not live within that radius, you just have to check the ana website or call their office to find out when the next meeting is.

The confusion may come from the fact that I have requested that someone take over my position as group leader. Five years is a long time for one person to do this. But I have not stepped down since no one has stepped up. There is an active Boston chapter.
You can e mail me at dcognac@comcast.nethttp://
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 06:16:14 am by ColorLady »

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Oh, hun! Phyllis here in Wakefield! I spoke to you a while back on the phone when I first discovered the ANA and this site! Thank you for posting!  I received a special notice from the ANA annoucing your departure as group leader and thought you were done at this point!  I had no clue you were still doing. I have not received any updates on any meetings or such in the past months, thus, we were just putting together in inpromtu, informal  brunch to meet others in the New England area.  If you are still leading the group in metro Boston, please let me know and if any upcoming group meetings are going on, please advise. I have heard nothing more except the notice that you resigned the position.  Please do not take anything personally... my understanding is that you were already done and the ANA was looking for another group leader.

Thank you for clarifying this!

Phyl

Hi,
Why do you think the Boston group has lost its leader? I am and have been the Boston Support Group leader ever since my diagnosis in 2001! We have meetings twice a year. If you are a member of ANA you should be receiving announcements by mail of these meetings if you live within a certain radius of Boston. If you do not live within that radius, you just have to check the ana website or call their office to find out when the next meeting is.

The confusion may come from the fact that I have requested that someone take over my position as group leader. Five years is a long time for one person to do this. But I have not stepped down since no one has stepped up. There is an active Boston chapter.
You can e mail me at dcognac@comcast.net
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

ColorLady

Hi Phyllis,
I recall our conversation and you are partly correct. ANA is looking for someone to take my place at my request but I have not abandoned ship. Actually, I have been asking for someone to take over (at our meetings) for the last two years! It doesn't take a lot of effort. A group leader decides on a topic for the meeting and recruits an expert speaker on that topic; finds a place for the meeting to be held; and ANA handles mailing out the notice and directions. Sometimes a meeting is just for sharing experiences. This is called a 'Caring and Sharing' meeting. No speaker needed. Meetings can be held in a quiet restaurant, a hospital meeting room, a church meeting room....or a members home. I have had two meetings in my home. Maybe one of you in the Boston area will consider taking over. I'll give you all the support you need...even act as a co-leader if you like. But in truth, you won't need much help. It's pretty easy.

When I came on board, there hadn't been an active Boston chapter for several years because the former leader stepped down and no one took over.

Normally, we would have already had a meeting this year but I have been extremely busy and we will likely only have one meeting this year in August or September so stay tuned.

One more note, I have just had an MRI after watching my tumor for 5 years and after holding the film up to a window, I expect that my dr. will be telling me it's decision time when he gets the report. That's what prompted my visit to this forum.

ppearl214

• Administrator
Please consider joining us at the brunch on the 30th.  Now time for us to support you!  I know you are 5 min from me and even if we meet for coffee or such, time for us to help you out.  Ok? :)

Phyl

btw, got email from JoeF... he's on for the 30th! YAY!
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

ppearl214

• Administrator
Headcount for July 30th thus far:

JoeF
CrazyRockerDude Paul
ellenvig newbie!
KatieB
Phyl, cruise director

Hoping more can join us... Jane? ColorLady? Bueller? :)

This is shaping up to be great! Thank you all for driving in from distances to meet one another.
Phyl

ColorLady

Hi,
Thank you for the invitation to join you for Brunch on July 30. I think I will be away on vacation. There is a chance those plans could change though so I would love to have the specifics (time and place) in case I am able to come.

Donna Cognac
ANA Boston Support Group Leader

ppearl214

• Administrator
Hi Donna,

No worries but if you can, that would be terrific! :)

I was researching some potential brunch restaurants and stumbled on this. Very quaint historic location. 

http://www.maxwellmaxine.com/Maxines/Brunch/brunch.html

Terrific Sunday brunch menu.  I did call and make a few inquiries. Sunday brunch cost/adult is $17.95. If that is too costly, please let me know (private email is fine).  Directions to the restaurant seem easy, immediately off the highway:

http://www.maxwellmaxine.com/Maxines/History/history.html#reachus

Brunch is served from 11:00am to 2:30pm on Sundays.

I inquired about having a table for us tucked aside to keep us away from any potential loud noises (as well as ease of speaking to each other and hearing each other). They said no problem.

So, this is just one suggestion.  If anyone else has any places in mind, please chime in.  I'm not all that familiar with the area so any and all suggestions are truly appreciated.

Thanks!
Phyl

jcinma

Hi Phyl-
Sorry I have not responded sooner, just got back from a week long (successful) horse show in VA. I am going to try and join you but do not know for sure just yet, should know in a day or two.  It should be fun trying to figure out where we should all sit so that we may hear each other (musical chairs anyone?)
I really appreciate what you are trying to do! Have a great day,
Jane
1cm AN removed (lost hearing) 11/96
3cm reccurrence debulked to preserve facial function 2/05
FSR 4/05
Mass General Hosp. Boston MA

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
Hip check bump...  ;)
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

ppearl214

• Administrator
Hip check bump...  ;)

you and matti are too kewl! thanks! :)

ppearl214

• Administrator
Hi Jane;

Pls keep me/us posted if you can make it. Still looking for suggstions on a place to go other than what I found... any and all suggestions TRULY welcomed!

Phyl

matti

why didn't I think to bump it up ??? ??? ???
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

ppearl214

• Administrator
why didn't I think to bump it up ??? ??? ???

um... cuz Comso (your dog) was hogging your attention? ;)

xoxo

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
Maxine's looks lovely to me.  I haven't found any better options in my inquiries to local folks.

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Crazycat

• Self-Portrait/ "Friends, Romans, countrymen...."
Katie,

Is Maxine's in Worchester?

Paul
5cm x 5cm left-side A.N. partially removed via Middle Fossa 9/21/2005 @ Mass General. 
Compounded by hydrocephalus. Shunt installed 8/10/2005.
Dr. Fred Barker - Neurosurgeon and Dr. Michael McKenna - Neurotologist.