Author Topic: Tinnitus and flying  (Read 3017 times)

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
Tinnitus and flying
« on: July 26, 2006, 11:33:28 am »
I noticed something interesting and wanted to see if anyone else has had such an experience.  I have went flying a few times since my AN treatment and I noticed that my tinnitus was actually lower on the airplane…and even for a hours afterwards.  I find it interesting because I figured that it would possibly make it worse.  Has anyone else experienced this?

Gary
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

matti

Re: Tinnitus and flying
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2006, 12:58:30 pm »
I will be flying soon and will definitely keep a watch out for it. Interesting!  Looking forward to a little relief ;D

Thanks,
Cheryl
3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

okiesandy

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 03:39:28 pm »
I have flown several times since CK treatment. No difference in mine. I do have some pain in my ear if we change altitudes quickly.  I have some ear plugs called flytes (I think). I make sure I have them in. This is supposed to help protect the good ear.

blessings,

Sandy
Cyberknife 1/2006
Clinton Medbery III & Mary K. Gumerlock
St Anthony's Hospital
Oklahoma City, OK
Name of Tumor: Ivan (may he rest in peace)

Battyp

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 05:50:05 pm »
what type of plane were you flying in?  I've been told different planes cause different ear pressure.  Interesting

GM

• I hate annual MRI's !!!
    • My Blog Page
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 05:42:33 am »
Different types...large and small...flight duration didn't seem to matter...both seemed to have the same effect.  I paid attention to it the last time I flew (ealier this month).  I was out of town for a few days and noticed that when I landed (about 3 PM) my tinnitus was definately lower and stayed that way for the rest of the evening. 

It would be interesting to see if a Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy Chamber made a difference for those with tinnitus.      http://www.oxytank.com/

Gary
Originally 1.8cm (left ear)...Swelled to 2.1 cm...and holding after GK treatment (Nov 2003)
Gamma Knife University of Virginia  http://www.medicine.virginia.edu/clinical/departments/neurosurgery/gammaknife/home-page
Note: Riverside Hospital in Newport News Virginia now has GK!!

SKT

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2006, 09:25:11 am »
oh, I am so very interested in anything which may reduce tinnitus .............