Author Topic: Nancy's Spa Day - Lipo and a Face Lift  (Read 76709 times)

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
Re: Nancy's Spa Day - Lipo and a Face Lift
« Reply #180 on: April 15, 2009, 03:49:30 pm »
Changed profile!  ;)  How boring is my real name?  When I rejoined after growth, I was all about just the facts, baby, now I'm a part of a huge family who care about me.  And I'm on steroids.

When is it okay to be left alone at home and to not worry about falling and hitting your head?  Is the hole large enough that it can't stand direct contact?  Still numb to touch and stitches not out yet, but hoping that once they are on Monday, I could set my caregiver free.
Is it okay to have beer and wine in moderation?  I'm limiting to half glass per day and haven't been on pain meds since leaving ICU six days ago.

Nancy
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #181 on: April 15, 2009, 04:44:38 pm »
Is the hole large enough that it can't stand direct contact? 

Why??  Are you planning on doing something dangerous??  :o  :D

Everyone is different, but typically if you feel you're ready to "go it alone" you generally are.  But remember the limitations I'm sure your doc mentioned to - no bending at the waist, no heavy lifting, etc.  If you overdo it, you'll usually know it.

As for the drinking in moderation - I'd say it depends on the meds you're on.  Pain killers would definitely mean no drinking - but that doesn't apply in your situation.  I'm not sure about steroids and alcohol ???  You might want to check with your doc or the pharmacist.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

NancyMc

« Reply #182 on: April 15, 2009, 05:00:59 pm »
I live on the edge.  ;)
I had no limitations set.  I asked if there was a weight limit, and they just shrugged and said probably 10 pounds for two weeks.  I asked if I should refrain from bending over.  He said I should probably just bend down at the knees, keeping head elevated to reach for things below.   No time frame on that one.
There was no written material even though I asked if they would please write it down for me and they agreed.
No mention on the slip with the steroids about alcohol use, so . . . I'll just enjoy a little in the early evening.
Thanks.
Nancy

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #183 on: April 15, 2009, 05:01:38 pm »
Nancy you are cracking me up!  I feel like such a slowpoke next to you, I'm dreading "setting my caregiver free", I've had someone with me almost nonstop for 3 weeks!  Glad to hear you are doing so well!
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

joebloggs

« Reply #184 on: April 15, 2009, 07:55:06 pm »
Hi Fathead(loving the new name!),

I told my carer Sarah to get out of the house and get her Mum a birthday present and so was alone for a few hours about day 8 I think.  I was fine - I just had a snooze!  Not too sure about booze.  I was told one drink would feel like 6 after surgery so I'm not drinking.  I decided actually in hospital, while the room was spinning and I was throwing up, that I might not drink any more.  Usually about once a year I tend to overnindulge at a party or something and end up in a spinning room and I thought geez, why would anyone bring this feeling on themselves!

xxx
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #185 on: April 15, 2009, 08:32:10 pm »
I decided actually in hospital, while the room was spinning and I was throwing up, that I might not drink any more.

Funny, JB  :D

This reminds me of my post op experience.  One of my docs stopped by to see how I was doing and I told him between the spinning room and the throwing up I was having a flashback to the last time I was good and drunk - back in college  :P  We both had a pretty good laugh about that one  ;D

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #186 on: April 15, 2009, 09:57:32 pm »
I can't believe how well you are doing. Your energy just seems off the charts. Great that the double vision has stopped. I'll be very interested to follow your balance.
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

NancyMc

« Reply #187 on: April 16, 2009, 02:56:33 am »
why would anyone bring this feeling on themselves!

JB, When you get back to the UK, could you please ring up my son at uni?  I'll give you his cell.  Oh, and Katie says all good with Chicago.

I didn't puke in the hospital, except for the excessive lemon ice, ice chip, cranberry, apple juice post-op all-nighter (I love you, nurse Loreen, for indulging my cravings that night!) followed by the poisonous powdered eggs.
And right now I can do a spin and walk around in the moonlight.  So, there's no drunken sensation at all.  :'(

aka Nancy

joebloggs

« Reply #188 on: April 16, 2009, 07:06:19 am »
JB, When you get back to the UK, could you please ring up my son at uni? 

Ya no worries, I should be back on the juice by then - I'll teach him to drink like a Tasmanian!!! Ha ha ha ha!  Poor wee boy.
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #189 on: April 16, 2009, 08:43:59 pm »
JB, When you get back to the UK, could you please ring up my son at uni? 

Ya no worries, I should be back on the juice by then - I'll teach him to drink like a Tasmanian!!! Ha ha ha ha!  Poor wee boy.

He's studying scottish history and wears a kilt....you might have you're work cut out for you JB! Scotsmen have a bit of a reputation to uphold... ;)
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

joebloggs

« Reply #190 on: April 16, 2009, 08:58:55 pm »
See that's where it could all go horribly wrong... my dad is Scottish, therefore not only do I drink like a Tasmanian... but a Tasmanian with Scottish blood... dreadful combination!!

NancyMc

« Reply #191 on: April 16, 2009, 11:59:34 pm »
Oh, geesh, stay away from my poor boy!   ;D ;D
He does have a softer side, however, teaching himself to make sushi whilst studying for exams, although engrossed in NHL playoffs simultaneously.
Home in six weeks for three months.  Can't wait!

joebloggs

« Reply #192 on: April 17, 2009, 12:59:21 am »
Ha ha... I was just kidding Nancy!  Honest!

NancyMc

« Reply #193 on: April 19, 2009, 06:32:13 am »
Well, I really should be getting attired for the brunch, but I remembered that I had never read back through the surgery and post-op posts on my thread.  So, I did, and I started to tear up (in my good eye, anyway).  You all were such wonderful support to my friend Dave when he had no idea what to imagine was going on.  Thank you.
However . . . . it was the first time I'd heard the version that I actually did have some facial weakness immediately post-op, so we'll sort that out tomorrow with whomever removes my sutures.  Hmmmmm . . . .    They said I had good facial response post-op.  I thought that meant perfect!  Oh, well.
Off to the brunch in a few.
Love you all,
Nancy

joebloggs

« Reply #194 on: April 19, 2009, 06:55:15 am »
Have a good time today!  Sounds like it'll be a good time xxx