Author Topic: Nancy's Spa Day - Lipo and a Face Lift  (Read 75911 times)

CROOKEDSMILE

Re: Nancy's Spa Day - Lipo and a Face Lift
« Reply #105 on: April 11, 2009, 04:18:41 pm »
and if you had a feeding tube down your nose into your gut like I did for a month then you could even pour a little red wine down the tube with a water flush. Umm, Umm good. Not that I could taste it so the cheap stuff was fine....... OR (since I wasn't supposed to have anything in my mouth because my swallowing was paralyzed and they feared lung aspiration....I choked on my own spit!) I did get creative when guests came over for dinner and I wanted to join in a little toast.....stick it in a medicine dropper and teeny tiny drops on the tongue! Would take months to get a buzz that way but the flavor was to die for after a month of nothing to eat or drink.
By the way..........None of this is recommended for my dear AN friends.
Angie

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #106 on: April 11, 2009, 04:23:03 pm »
Hi all,

Haven't been connected to a computer 'til now, so sorry to keep you in suspense. We just got back home an hour or so ago, and  Nancy is doing great! She kept her eyes shut for most of the two hour+ drive, because she's still having some double vision issues and didn't want to risk losing her lunch in the car. She has only been having a little tylenol for occasional headache - she refused the percocet prescription because she's mostly headache-free. As a migraine sufferer myself, I'm just amazed at how lucky she is in that respect. I think her face is already doing noticeably better than yesterday, probably partly because the doctors upped her steroid dosage a bit, and are having her wean off it on a slower schedule now. I'm recharging the camera battery now so we will try to get some more pictures for you soon. I'm guessing she will be the next one writing to you unless the focusing on writing is still too much of a challenge, so if I don't write again, I want to thank you all personally for the incredible support and concern you have for each other and for all the kind words and advice you have given us. You're all a bunch of inspiring, admirable people. I wish you could all have an outcome as good as Nancy's looks like it will be!

Dave
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

NancyMc

« Reply #107 on: April 11, 2009, 05:18:25 pm »
Here's Nancy right after the 9 hour operation. http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv274/nancycmcdonald/JustWokeUp.jpg   Can't really see any facial weakness, The slightly discolored, swollen lip was from biting her lip a day or so before.

Here she is 3 days later, just got back home.  http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv274/nancycmcdonald/3DaysAfter.jpg  You can see how her smile lifts one side a lot more than the other. This was maybe even a little more pronounced the day before this picture.

d

NancyMc

« Reply #108 on: April 11, 2009, 05:22:33 pm »

Sorry - here they are so they appear without clicking the links.

NancyMc

« Reply #109 on: April 11, 2009, 05:30:29 pm »
For Seal:

Nancy's advice to others going to Mass. General: get out of there as soon as possible, and have the filet of sole if it's on the menu.

Best of luck!

sgerrard

« Reply #110 on: April 11, 2009, 05:46:30 pm »
The quizzical expression in the eyes in the first pic is priceless. "I just woke up from a nap, and they did what to my head?"

Showing teeth is a good sign, and the delay of the facial issue should mean that it is temporary. It may even clear up quickly as the swelling goes down. She certainly looks like she is recovering well. It's great that you are home already.

Take care, Dave, and thanks for the updates. We look forward to hearing from Nancy herself soon. Drop by anytime. :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

joebloggs

« Reply #111 on: April 11, 2009, 06:26:57 pm »
Nancy you look fantastic!!!  Your bandage looks just like mine did!  I'm putting money on the steroids sorting out the temp paralysis just as they sorted out my eye.

I'm so pleased you look so great!

Yay!!
Right sided AN 2.7cm at last MRI.  Hearing loss/facial numbness.  Translab scheduled March 11th 2009.  Translab at Royal Melbourne Hospital, Australia successful!  Total tumour removed, SSD, no facial issues, numbness has left the building, balance issues but they'll get better and I'm loving life!

suboo73

« Reply #112 on: April 11, 2009, 07:17:24 pm »
Dave and Nancy,

Dave - thank you for the updates!  I am always on 'the edge of my seat' until i see the good news that all is well after surgery.
Thanks again for keeping us informed.  Now enjoy being home and get some rest yourself!  Caregivers are the best!

Nancy - you look great!  WOW!  8)
Glad to hear your are home and can enjoy some time with your hubby while resting and continuing your pampering!.
Take care  and rest.  You deserve it.

Sincerely,
Sue
suboo73
Little sister to Bigsister!
9mm X 6mm X 5mm
Misdiagnosed 12+ years?
Diagnosed Sept. 2008/MRI 4/09/MRI 12/09/MRI 1/21/11
Continued W & W

stoneaxe

• Make your good days more than make up for the bad.
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #113 on: April 11, 2009, 09:29:47 pm »
Great news...happy to hear you're home. Rest well!
Bob - Official Member of the Postie/Toasty Club
6mm AN treated with Proton Beam Radiosurgery in March 2004
at Mass General Hospital, Dr's Loeffler and Chapman
Cut the little bugger out the second time around in 2009..translab at MGH with Dr's McKenna and Barker.
http://www.capecodbaychallenge.org

lauralynn

« Reply #114 on: April 12, 2009, 02:30:03 am »
Hey Nancy!  You look great!  I'm so glad to hear that you are home! ;D  I received the "Magic Scarf" today.  Tell Dave thank you for me. 
4 cm left AN/diagnosed 1/23/09
Translab 4/14/09
Cyberknife 7/09
Gold weight implant 8/09
Barrow Neurological Institute, Phoenix
Dr. Syms and Dr. Porter
Balance issues, 100% hearingl loss (left ear), tinnitus, facial numbness/pain,
chronic fatigue, weakness, eye issues

God Bless everyone

NancyMc

« Reply #115 on: April 12, 2009, 06:19:03 am »
just pm'ed this to laura but might as well broadcast to all you well wishers
thx so much for all the positive vibes sent into the OR

first email out of me to anyone, have to hold reading glasses and type with one hand, so . . .
coming thru
i really believe in everyone different now
no headache, no pain other than hospital annoyances
but whoa the double vision, don't even think about spinning around, don't look at anything in brightly lit natural or artificial light
no restrictions other than what i asked them about since i'd heard of them from forumites, oddly
i'm trying to type without glasses now so it's faster but blurry
won't be able to drive forever as far as it seems right now
my mind seems in tact but my face looks horrible, droopy smile, starting to get a little numbmess around right outside jaw line, woke up for 2 am steroid feeding and discovered scratchy sensation in eye so thinking of getting rx for eye gel to protect it at night while i am relaxed and not voluntarily keeping it closed
hopeful extended steroid taper will resolve swelling causing facial stuff
also can't open non an eye with opening an eye so that's weird, walking is okay but i live where there is no such thing as even ground, not even a mall, so we'll see how that goes
hopeful
you're younger so i'm very optimistic for you
let me know that you get the scarf
i'll mail out journal asap, family descending today to see if they can totally wear me out!!!!
deep breath
they really liked the muffins, first thing they mentioned as i awoke in the OR, no space in the recovery inn so skipped up to icu
some big blood pressure drop that required removal of dave, but i have only brief awareness of it
anyway thx again!!!!  :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :-* :-* :-* :-*

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #116 on: April 12, 2009, 06:42:23 am »
Hey Nancy,
You are doing great!  All will resolve in time, and you'll be back to yourself.  Don't let the fam wear you, take lots of naps. 
Hugs,
Marci

3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Cheryl R

« Reply #117 on: April 12, 2009, 07:31:58 am »
Hi Nancy,    You are doing well even though we know how one sure doesn't think so at the time.       A good 2 weeks helps and slowly onward.                  It does sound like you need some eye goop.                My favorite for daytime use is Refresh Liquigel. One sometimes ends up trying more than one to see as some with preservastives bother some.      it didn't me.        Then a heavy gel for night time.             I used saran wrap then over the eye and used some gel around the edge to hold it.   That too takes experimenting and depends on how bad  the eye is.    Others do it different.                      I remember with my first surgery having blurry vision so couldn't read the newspaper for a couple weeks.      Made life not normal!
I live in the country and uneven ground really bothers me with now having the other surgeries due to NF2.      I am close enough to towns and a mall and that does help me keep on the long term balance issue. 
   Hang in there, as life does get better.              Looks like you live in such a neat area!
                                                               Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

NancyMc

« Reply #118 on: April 12, 2009, 08:00:44 am »
Tried to call neurotologist for rx for eye gel and drops but not there, so have to wait for tomorrow.  Pharmacy said never heard of Aquagel OTC or rx.  Eye is really annoying!!!
Will try to find drops in mean time.  Will Dave's soft contact lens drops work?
Thanks.
Nancy

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #119 on: April 12, 2009, 08:09:48 am »
Send Dave to the pharmacy and try to get GenTeal drops.  The moderate to severe variety will work until you can get something else.  The soft contact drops will not do the job really but probably better than nothing for now.  Good luck.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.