Author Topic: Here's a provocative question  (Read 23777 times)

LADavid

Here's a provocative question
« on: August 03, 2008, 09:19:27 pm »
Please understand that I don't imply the least racism.  It very much isn't meant that way.  How many Blacks, Asians, Mid-Easterners are respresented on this board?  The reason why I ask is this -- I'm always trying to get at the causes of things.  Sickle-cell is predominant among Blacks.  There are other diseases and medical issues that are indiginous to other cultures.  But based on the involvement on this board, it seems as though the occurance of ANs is primarily an Anglo-Saxon thing.  I do realize that there are those on this board from Italy and France and of Hispanic decent, but there seems to be a high concentration of Anglos -Saxons.  Why is that?  I do,of course realize that most people who work in fish-hatcheries who are cellphone users are are Anglo-Saxon, but could it be there is a gene-strain that is an A/S thing?  I also know the clinical argument that less than fortunate cultures and economic levels have a less chance of disovering an AN because of the financial opportunities and medical procedures available to them.  But this Forum is international and even at the national level, all cultures and races have the opportunity to participate.  Why are we getting participation primarily from Anglos -- and I'd go one step further -- Scot-Irish?  Yes it's Sunday night and I'm bored, but I'm hoping that some research guy out there is saying "hmmm, maybe there is something to this and I can cop some award."  And then that research guy connects the dots and realizes that there is a genetic cure...OK Dave, back to Sunday night and the Simpsons.
Hey it's just a thought.  Have a great week!

David
Right ear tinnitus w/80% hearing loss 1985.
Left ear 40% hearing loss 8/07.
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.
Sort of quiet around here.
http://my.calendars.net/AN_Treatments

Dana

• Hi!
Re: Here's a provocative question
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 10:25:49 pm »
Anglo-Saxon -- half Scottish, half German -- here.You've noticed a possible Scottish connection?  Or was that just an possible  example of potential way the research might go?  Or are you REALLY bored?javascript:void(0);

Dana
1.5 cm AN diagnosed June 2007.   GammaKnife July 19, 2007 at Univ. of Washington/Harborview GK Center, Drs. Rockhill, Rostomily. 
After yearly MRIs for 5 years, it hadn't died. So I'm now leaning strongly toward surgery.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2008, 10:53:31 pm »
David:

I'm one of those Anglo-Saxon folks that you've noticed seem to predominate these boards.  Good catch.  I've never noticed that one but I don't view your relatively innocuous question as in any way racist.  However, I don't have a definitive answer to your query.  I would venture a guess that the majority of the people who choose to participate here just happen to be middle-class Anglos who have access to a computer with internet capabilities and are interested enough to research 'Acoustic Neuroma' and find this website.  I seriously doubt that the AN members who choose to post messages here are representative of all AN patients, worldwide, in terms of ethnicity.  I believe we just happen to represent a middle class, computer-owning group that is mostly Scots-Irish or Anglo-Saxon (I'm ½ British, ½ German) and gravitate toward the internet when we have a question we need answered. Nothing mysterious, much less indicative of any racial/ethnic bias there.  Probably not a satisifying answer but all I can offer to a complex, almost unresolvable question, but thanks for asking it, anyway.  Food for thought and all that.  :)

Have a great week yourself.  :)  My prayers and good wishes are with you on your Tuesday MRI.  May you have the same results that I had. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 10:53:55 pm »
Good question, David.

Now that I think about it, most of us are Anglo-Saxons.

You may be on to something.  It certainly makes more sense than the fish-hatchery theory  ::)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

LADavid

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 11:03:32 pm »
Dana
Half Scot -- the rest Irish, French, German.  It was the name Kathleen McCracken that got me thinking this week.  I'm a Shannon of the clan Donald.  Southern Scotland, northern Ireland.  Just something to add to the fish-hatchery, cell-phone theories.
David
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

LADavid

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 11:13:30 pm »
Jim
I had considered the normal computer/internet usage.  And yes that does discount any clinical proof.  But on my House visits, even here in LA, I have never seen an Asian or a Black in the massive waiting room.  Granted that House may be a unattainable for certain socio-economic cultures, but zero representation certainly gives the raised eye-brows -- if one could raise such eye-brows.
David
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 11:14:33 pm »
Interesting observation, David

I'll contribute to your research. I'm in the minority here--Mexican.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

sgerrard

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 12:37:53 am »
If you Google it, I think you will find that there is no known racial or ethnic factor in who gets acoustic neuromas. The distribution on this forum is much more about who chooses to participate here.

I know that we have had African members, and other under-represented groups, show up on this forum. It does seem like they are less likely to post a picture, or to stick around and visit as much after getting some key information. I don't think that is any one's fault, but just a reminder that we still have cultural differences, and still make different choices about who to associate with.

Over time, that will continue to change. Be patient. :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

LADavid

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 01:07:54 am »
Aw Steve and Syl -- I thought I was on to something.  Syl -- looking back in your roots, surely you must have had a Stewart corrupting your Castillian family tree.  OK OK, here's another broad swipe.  European.  If your heritage is European, you are an AN risk.  Whether your roots be Ireland, France, Germany, Italy or Spain, you have a higher AN risk.  Still looking for anyone who can trace their roots back to Asia, Africa, or the middle-East.  Anyone?  And Steve, I realize it's a participation choice, but out of the thousands who are diagonsed annually, wouldn't there be someone finding their way to this forum who isn't of European descent.  Obviously I could be wrong.  I'm just looking for more than fish-hatcheries and cell phones.

David
1.5 CM Translab Rt ear.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 05:53:50 am »
Hi David,
I'll play.  I'm of eastern European descent--mostly Russian.
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Omaschwannoma

• Life is a journey, not a destination
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 06:33:16 am »
Italian/German here and my mom has been busy the past few years with our geneology.  Hasn't really found info on how our relatives died as I asked her to look into their death certificates all she came up with so far is her grandmother died of breast cancer, my mom and her sister have been diagnosed with this. 
1/05 Retrosigmoid 1.5cm AN left ear, SSD
2/08 Labyrinthectomy left ear 
Dr. Patrick Antonelli Shands at University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
12/09 diagnosis of semicircular canal dehiscence right ear

pswift00

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 07:31:27 am »
I seem to recall reading a paper a while back that said AN's don't seem to favor any gender or ethnic group in particular.  That being said, I'm about as Anglo-saxon as a can of Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup has chicken- it's in there somewhere, but not much.  I think  maybe the word you're looking for is caucasian.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 08:08:27 am by pswift00 »

Cheryl R

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 07:33:03 am »
I have always wondered this also.          I am German/Dutch.        I can only say there have been very few non Caucasian people at the last 3 AN symposiums.        Not that is a true number of ANers.                                             Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 08:14:41 am »
So, I am your basic Hines 57 of European descent- Irish/Scottish on my Mom's side and who knows on Dad's side.  And, I married an Italian - does that mean anything? 

David, maybe there's a grant in here somewhere? Can't let Lori and Jan get all the grant money, now can you?

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Kaybo

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 08:25:20 am »
David~
I have wondered this also...what about "Shiva's" mom??  Weren't they going back to India for surgery?

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!