Author Topic: Here's a provocative question  (Read 23788 times)

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
Re: Here's a provocative question
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2008, 10:54:28 am »
Aw Steve and Syl -- I thought I was on to something.  Syl -- looking back in your roots, surely you must have had a Stewart corrupting your Castillian family tree.  OK OK, here's another broad swipe.  European.  If your heritage is European, you are an AN risk.  Whether your roots be Ireland, France, Germany, Italy or Spain, you have a higher AN risk.  Still looking for anyone who can trace their roots back to Asia, Africa, or the middle-East.  Anyone?  And Steve, I realize it's a participation choice, but out of the thousands who are diagonsed annually, wouldn't there be someone finding their way to this forum who isn't of European descent.  Obviously I could be wrong.  I'm just looking for more than fish-hatcheries and cell phones.

David

David,

If you want to go way back in my family tree--the ones that came from Spain--then we'd have to throw north Africa into it.

One of my co-workers also had a AN. Can we count him? He is familiar with this website, but doesn't participate. We can ad him to the count of caucasians--last name Johnson.

Syl
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 10:58:57 am by Syl »
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2008, 02:26:56 pm »
Admittedly spurred by this thread, I've done a bit of internet research and found that Japan has a fair amount of Acoustic Neuroma patients, which sort of negates the 'Caucasian connection' David seems to be looking for.  I can't prove it but I'll bet Spain, India and the more industrialized countries also have Acoustic Neuroma cases in the native population relatively close to the numbers we have in the U.S., adjusted for population, of course.  Africa and other 'Third World' countries with limited medical resources and an often unsophisticated citizenry  - mostly attributable to extreme poverty and a lack of education along with dictatorial governments that simply don't provide or even encourage health care -  very likely have citizens suffering from Acoustic Neuromas but they are either unaware of the cause of their symptoms and/or simply don't have access to the doctors, facilities and financial resources to address their condition.  That is tragic and unnecessary but the harsh reality for a good part of the world. 

I doubt we'll see many citizens of Myanmar, Cuba, Libya, North Korea, Somalia, Sudan, Turkmenistan or Uzbekistan at the upcoming AN symposium, much less posting messages on these forums via the internet.  Unfortunately, that doesn't mean these countries don't see Acoustic Neuromas in their populations, just that their citizens aren't in a position to be diagnosed, much less, treated.  Posting their experiences on the U.S. ANA site is hardly an option for them. 

That being the case, as I see it, I'm not ready to take the ethnicity of the AN patients who choose to post here as somehow indicative of the ethnic source for Acoustic Neuromas.  I realize that David was posting his 'provocative question' out of boredom and with his tongue firmly in his cheek, as it were, but I decided to look a little closer at the premise that was being promulgated, which seemed to be moving toward what I suspected was a false conclusion.  Others may disagree and that's fine.  It's just a little discussion among friends with no real weight to alter anything for better or worse.  I do believe that ANs are genetic but I strongly suspect that ethnicity is not a factor, no more than cell phone usage or fish hatcheries, for that matter.  Of course, I could be wrong.  :)   

Jim
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 03:33:53 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2008, 03:00:20 pm »
Hey Jim,
After the fact, my mom told me that she had a benign tumor removed from her parotid (salivary) gland when she was in her 20's, resulting in facial paralysis for many months.   I've now advised my son to request an MRI of his ENT since he has suffered hearing loss.  Of course we're pretty sure that was due to playing a gig with a heavy metal band without ear plugs but now I'm sufficiently concerned that there is a genetic link to this.  Hopefully insurance will pay but I think we'll do it anyway just to put his mind (and ours) at ease.
Best,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2008, 03:43:45 pm »
Marci:

Good idea.  Insurance generally won't pay for an MRI unless the doctor ordering it can show a medical reason for the request.  Taking a reasonable precaution, while a perfectly sensible thing to do, probably won't convince the insurance company the MRI was 'medically necessary'.  I would try to get it approved in advance but be prepared to pay for the MRI out-of-pocket.  Still, you're doing the right thing.  My son (29) is robustly healthy and has never had AN-like symptoms.  Both his hearing and vision are superb but I've cautioned him to keep my AN experience in mind if he ever develops AN-like symptoms later in life, especially when I'm no longer around to remind him. 

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

lori67

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2008, 03:52:46 pm »
What if you're Irish and talk on a cell phone while in a fish hatchery?  Sorry, David - just wanted to see if you were really, really bored!   :D

No theories here - but I will throw in that I'm Italian/Irish and both my dad and I had AN's.  I'm sure that doesn't add much to the discussion, but I hated to be left out!  :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2008, 04:14:39 pm »
Really?  Your dad as well?  That sounds like a link to me.
M
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

chocolatetruffle

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2008, 08:48:06 pm »
hey LAdavid, .....okay... okay... okay......, i am going to throw you a bone here.  I am chinese - my grandparents are from northern china but i was born in singapore. 

but you are right about the waiting room at House, i was the only asian there. When i first did my research on AN, i found very little on the singapore websites, either it is not a "popular" tumor for asians or there is just no support or people just don't talk about it.  My friend who is a doctor there even mentioned that it is so rare that ENTs don't even think about it as a possible diagnosis. 

hope this helps!
chocolatetruffle

2.8 cm left AN
Translab @ House/St Vincent's 11/27/07
Drs. Brackmann, Schwartz, Wilkinson, Stefan

sgerrard

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2008, 09:36:10 pm »
Although I agree with Jim that the make up of this forum is not a measure of the ethnic distribution of ANs, I am curious about the reports from the "waiting room at House." If Asians do get ANs, but don't get them treated at House, where do they go instead? It would be really interesting to see if the statistics on treated ANs at hospitals in the US matched up to the expected distribution of occurrences of ANs. Maybe there is some bias in diagnosis or treatment, even if there is none in the occurrence, due to economic, cultural, or other reasons.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Lainie181818

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2008, 12:03:51 am »
Hi everyone,
I am 100% English. I came to the USA 26 years ago and I am the only one in my family to Have had a lodger in my head. I took out American citizenship in 2001 and retain both nationalities. Can't wait to vote in November, but I guess i shouldn't open that can of worms. By the way, contrary to belief I have great teeth. Unfortunately you can't see all of them when I smile.
Ta Ta
Lainie.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2008, 05:39:05 am »
Hi Lainie, my bloke arrived 1 yr ago from Shaftesbury Dorset and is contemplating how he will do his citizenship down the road, whether to do dual or go all 'Merican.  He's finding the current politikal scene here rather interesting...... :)  BTW, my bloke has semi-good teeth.... unlike original Austin Powers but not the greatest, either :)

Hi all,

I would also find it interesting if stats are out there. On the CK Patient Support Board, I believe there is a thread in the "Brain" section (MindyAndy, was it you that started the thread?) about how more AN's are found today.... and consensus talks about how medical technology, such as MRI's, etc are now more available to do the proper diagnosis. I'm curious about the level of medical technology available in Asian countries and if available, what the stats would be..........

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2008, 11:27:42 am »
my bloke arrived 1 yr ago from Shaftesbury Dorset and is contemplating how he will do his citizenship down the road, whether to do dual or go all 'Merican. 

Phyl

Phyl,

May I recommend dual citizenship? I love being an American, but I wouldn't want to travel abroad with and American passport--with all the fear of terrorism against Americans traveling abroad.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

Lainie181818

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2008, 06:58:46 pm »
Hi Phyl,
I thought you had good taste, choosing an English Bloke. My husband is also a Brit transplant. As far as the Naturalization is concerned the British attitude is once a Brit always a Brit and you will be able to hold both passports. If your Bloke has paid his contributions in the UK he should be eligible for his state pension down the road. Also he can vote in both countries. I travel out of the US on my American passport, and use my British passport to enter the UK. This way you can avoid the huge lines at both ends. Also as a member of the EEC if he keeps dual status you can both live and work in Europe without any paperwork as such. My son was born in the US and we registered his birth with the British embassy. At the time dual citizenship was not recognised by the UK. so he would have had to make up his mind whether to be Briitish or American after turning 18. Fortunately the laws changed and for his 18th Birthday we presented him with a British passport. His name is James and he felt more like James Bond with 2 passports. Now he is 22 speaks fluent french and is actually thinking he might go and live and work in Europe for a while [ before he decides what he is going to do when he grows up.] As far as Americans travelling abroad and terrorism; the Brits are such strong allies of the US, that we are just as disliked as the Americans. On a Patriotic note our naturalizaion ceremony in 2001, along with 5000 of our closest friends at the LA sports arenas [ Tom Ridge gave the commencement/ welcome speech ] was one of the most emotional days of my life. We are now treated like we were born here by everyone. We still have very strong accents and could never denounce our British status. But we are very proud to be citizens of Both countries. So in answer to your question I can't think of any drawback of keeping both nationalities. Also American Dentistry RULES.
Lainie.
PS Does your bloke [ what is his name? ] watch The Craig Ferguson show on CBS every night.?

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2008, 05:34:20 am »
Hey Lainie,

You are noting the exact path that the bloke (Iain) is looking at.  Although he notes about eventually doing American Passport, my hope is that he does exactly as you note. We have an upcoming trip to the UK over the Christmas/New Year's holiday (ok, UK gang... it confirmed! Where is JeWeL?) and knowing his Brit passport is the one of use will make it easier for him (along with his Green Card)...... our first trip abroad since his official arrival here.  He's a true BBC America watcher and Dr. Who is the big thing here... as well as TopGear (who is that sleek man Stig and what does he look like under his helmet? LOL!) as well as anything Gordon Ramsey (for me).  BTW, he's learning quick about 'Merican dentistry.... he'd rather avoid it!

Syl, neither of us have had discussions about terrorism concerns when traveling abroad.... but, I hear you on that one.  Rather safe than sorry.... I agree.  I'm suppose to do a business trip to Israel... my boss has asked me if I'd be nervous about it (he was there during one trip that gunfire was occuring all around the hotel he was staying... needless to say, he was quite overwhelmed by it all).... I told him no.  I have no fear of it and if its my time then its my time.  I have faith in the person "upstairs" to do with me as seen fit.  Doesn't bother me.  Faith carries me through.

So, back to topic... is anyone aware of specific demographics of those reported (and treated) of AN's? I'm curious if the ANA has any sort of info available that outlines it... of is combined studies have been done between USA and EU nations and others? May contact the ANA to see if they have any data. I'd be interested....

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2008, 08:01:36 am »
What if you're Irish and talk on a cell phone while in a fish hatchery?

Hmmm ... I'm Irish ..  on the cell phone to much , fish to much , drink to much  , smoke to much  .. (younger days) , sat to close to the TV , loud music ..... no wonder I was doomed !!  LOL  :o  :o
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

lori67

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2008, 03:08:53 pm »
I'd be willing to bet you used to ride your bike without a helmet when you were a kid too!  You daredevil!!  ;D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.