Author Topic: Happy Anniversary to Me  (Read 17825 times)

lori67

Re: Happy Anniversary to Me
« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2008, 09:50:07 pm »
A little frostbite on the finger tips... nothing too bad.  I did live in Upstate NY for 10 years...I'm used to it!  And on the bright side, I got to clean out some of the long since expired items that were way down at the bottom.

That would have been embarrassing to have to return it to cash in on that warranty - I hadn't had the thing for a month at that point.  "Uh, yeah...I seem to have frozen my BAHA.. Is that covered?"

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

wendysig

« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2008, 06:56:01 am »
Lori,
You really crack me up too.  Are you really tiny or is the freezer just really big?  I hope it can't close on you!  Maybe you can come up with an icepop mold shaped like a BAHA.  The stick could be attached to the icepop with a chociolate abutment!!  What an idea!!! that might go over really big with the AN crowd!

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2008, 08:39:08 am »
Damn, Lori -

Wendy's got some great ideas here.  We might just have to listen to her and then share the profits!  Do you think there will be enough for us both to retire at a tender young age if we keep sharing  ???  Word has it that Hope's doctor has a private island that he let's patients use for free.  You know, I was thinking about switching doctors just the other day  ;)  Wondering if he's accepting new patients! 

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

lori67

« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2008, 09:15:39 am »
Yes, I think we need to get Wendy in on our entrepreneurship....she's got some good ideas...Wendy, we'll split the profits with you...unfortunately, we haven't had any yet   :'(  But I'm thinking this BAHA pop with chocolate abuttment might be the start of something big!!

I'm a whopping 5'2", however, my house (and most appliances) seem to have been made with the taller folks in mind.  I can't reach anything around here!  And if you don't hear from me for a while, you might want to come check the freezer.  At least I can keep myself occupied eating the ice cream.  On the bright side, I probably don't hit my head as often as Jan does.   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

wendysig

« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2008, 06:38:07 pm »
Hi Jan -
A doctor with a private island and he lets patients use it?  If it's tropical, count me in!  I hadn't planned on changing doctors, but this just might tip the scale in his favor.  Lori can bring her freezer and we can start manufacturing BAHA ice and ice cream pops, with the chocolate abutment of course, and store them in her freezer.  Then if she falls in again she can make us some frozen margueritas to sip while we're making the ice and ice cream pops!  Since we'll all be right there we'll probably notice fairly soon she's missing.

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

Kaybo

« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2008, 07:12:22 pm »
I'll probably need to come along to help Lori out...of the freezer, making drinks, pops, etc.  I don't have an AN doc anymore -- maybe I should contact this one.  I need to go to an island.  I spent the day with about 10 other girls having a cleaning intervention at some people's house from church.  They are the sweetest people, but obviously a clean and sanitary environment is not high on their priority list!  She had a stroke 2 years ago and just really does not have the will to get better (which is hard for me) - she is only 55.  She was in the hospital this week b/c she hasn't really eaten in 3 weeks - she says the food makes her nauseous - I think she is really depressed.  You would not even BELIEVE what it was like - they were WELL on their way to be the "Hoarders" on Oprah!!  One lady was cleaning out the pantry & found a decomposing mouse & cans with food 'oozing' out of them...oh, it was awful...no wonder she is depressed.  I made her husband pinky promise me that he would open the blinds every morning so she would have some light!  It looked pretty good when we left - we were there SIX hours!!  We didn't even go upstairs or in the master - & everyone said (I didn't see it) that it was BY FAR worse than anything we cleaned!  I think we are going back to tackle that next - if they will let us in.  (This was supposed to be a surprise for when she got home (we told her husband it was just my friend and me) but she got out yesterday!) THEN when we got back to the church to pick up the kiddos - another mess to clean up.  In the process, I picked up a plate and a raisin out of the gym floor.  When the girl babysitting (her mom was cleaning w/us) came back in, she said, "Did someone pick up the poop on the floor?  I had a plate over it..." Oh my goodness...had I not had enough today??  Oh well, it is over and we did a very good deed!  NOW you know why I need a tropical getaway and LOTS of little umbrella dirnks!!  :o)

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2008, 07:19:01 pm »
K, I started out reading your post thinking, gosh, how sweet and touching... that was a great thing for you to do.

When I got to the end, I had tears in my eyes - from laughing so hard at the raisin and the plate!!!!

I guess in comparison to the other stuff you had your hands in all day, that "raisin" probably wasn't so bad.

But seriously, that was a very sweet thing for you to do for that lady.  Maybe this will motivate her to get better now that her surroundings are spruced up a bit.

Lori

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2008, 01:41:27 am »
K -

I cannot say it any better than Lori just did, so I'll just say I agree with Lori  :)

The raisin/poop part of your story is classic - I'm laughing so hard I'm crying.

And BTW I've never heard of a cleaning intervention.  Wish someone would have held one for me before the realtors swooped down upon my "mansion" - would have saved me tons of time and energy.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #68 on: June 07, 2008, 08:23:53 am »
Jan~
The same friend (Vicki) that came up with the name Pick-a-Weiny came up with the term "Intervention"  -- I am sure it was coined for MY house when my MIL was coming to visit.  My friends all joke me that I don't SpringClean, I "WandaClean" before she comes.  HOWEVER, I will say that my house has NEVER been anywhere NEAR that condition (nor will it be, Lord willing)!!  I think the thing that upsets us the most is that she has 1) a daughter {who is a NURSE} 2) a son 3) a mother & 4) a sister who ALL LIVE IN TOWN!!!  Would you let your Mom live that way?????? and if you were medically trained, don't you think you would be trying to motivate her to walk - she CAN walk (she walked to the bathroom & back unassisted yesterday) but they just push her around in a wheelchair!  CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, Jan, I have hijacked your thread!!   :o

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #69 on: June 07, 2008, 09:22:47 am »
K -

Don't tell my Mom that some nurse daughters don't push their Moms!  She'll want to trade me in for one of those!  I've already spoken to the PT she will work with after her heart surgery and suggested she get a head start on things by going a few times prior!  And I've tracked down an excellent PT I used to work with in NY who now happens to work at the hospital my Mom will be going to... won't Mom be surprised!

And I'm liking the sound of the cleaning intervention... I think I could use one.  Unfortunately, I'd have to clean before the interveners  (did I just make up a new word?)
got here because I wouldn't want them to think I'm messy... ::)

L (wow, I've gotten lazy - even 4 letters is too much to type...)

wendysig

« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2008, 09:39:30 am »
K -
I  need a cleaning intervener too!  Do you know where I can get one?  My hubby and kids think I should do everything and I'm just tired of it.  I need a vacation!  HELP!
Where is that private island again?  I need margueritas.  Thanks for the laugh all  of you!  You are the best!!!

Wendy
2 cm at time of surgery
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

lori67

« Reply #71 on: June 07, 2008, 09:57:03 am »
Wendy -

Sounds like you need to do what I did just the other day.  I went on strike.  Hung signs on the front door and various places in the house.  I got tired of finding dirty dishes in the sink (which is right next to the dishwasher) every 5 minutes, finding trash on the counter (which is right next to the trash can), finding shoes everywhere...
I hung up a sign that said "Put it away or E-bay", meaning if you don't put it away, I will sell it to the highest bidder on E-bay and keep the profit.  I had to put a sign on the dryer saying anything left in there after 12 hours will be donated to Goodwill.  I find it necessary to remind my family from time to time, that I am not actually the maid.

Don't worry - all of these rules don't necessarily apply to the 5 and 2 year old - but I see no reason they can't apply to the 16 and 20 year old!

I think I'll ask for a raise...and some days off..  and a margarita while I'm at it!

Lori

OMG16

« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2008, 11:35:25 am »
Okay I have been gone to long what is a pick-a-weiny and 2 headed dogs?  I believe that there are some good stories that I have missed.

Kay I love the raisin thing at the end of the day.  It cracked me up and I think that I have done that also.  It is so sad about that lady she is only 55 someone needs to do a life intervention and get her out in the sunshine and enjoying life again.

Jan I am so excited to hear about your processor.  Just stay away from freezers they are obviously very dangerous to your baha.

Lori I will send you a construction harness and you can tie off your little Lori self everyday before going in to retrieve dinner at least then you husband can just follow the tie off link and reel you in.  I to am very balancedly challenged and just not long ago was in the bathroom trying to get the laundry out of the cupboard and used my foot to get the shirt way in the back at the bottom that I was not willing to bend down for.  Well I did the banana peel manuver (sp?) and crash boom bang and all my husband says after a couple minutes is well I guess you are okay since you are laughing so hard still.  He of course never gets up to come see or to help me up.  The romance is definately gone he used to run in and save the day.  That is to bad because it is harder to get up now a days.  :D 16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

lori67

« Reply #73 on: June 07, 2008, 11:50:38 am »
You'll have to ask Kay exactly what breed of dog a pick-a-weinie is... I'm still not sure myself.

A construction harness is a great idea.  It would also come in handy for scaling the mountains of laundry in the laundry room...Or I could just not do laundry and not cook - then wait until the members of my church decide to come cook and clean for me!  I think I'll plant the idea in their heads tomorrow...

My husband does the same thing - I guess he figures if he doesn't hear yelling, then I'm probably okay.  Usually I just wind up yelling "don't panic - I'm okay".  Not that I think he'd panic anyway... Of course, I do the same to him, but he's a big baby anyway. (shhh...don't tell him I told you... ;))

Lori

Kaybo

« Reply #74 on: June 07, 2008, 12:06:47 pm »
A Pekingese and a Dachshund (had to get the dictionary out for this one - good thing they have pictures on the sides!)... ;D

K
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!