Author Topic: Happy Anniversary to Me  (Read 17665 times)

shygirl

Re: Happy Anniversary to Me
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2008, 12:37:08 am »
Jan,

You're going to love your BAHA!! And the toothbrush...IT'S BLUE!!!! 8)

Lacey,

I think the naked horse rider was Bo Derek (sp?) ???
2.1 cm AN
dx 7/07
translab 8/07
BAHA 2/08--processor 3/08
chronic headache sufferer

wendysig

« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2008, 06:00:58 am »
Hi Jan!

I Know today is the big day for you!  I am so excited that you are getting  your BAHA today as I know how much you've been looking forward to it.  I have an appointment this morning that will keep me busy for a couple of hours, but just wanted to pop in early to say CONGRATULATIONS!!!  I'll check back later to see how you like your first day with your BAHA.

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

beancounter

« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2008, 06:01:43 am »
You go, girl!  Call me sometime and we'll clink our phones together in a toast (hear, hear)!
Newly diagnosed 3x2 mm .... waiting to see what my options are

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2008, 06:40:09 am »
Hey, beancounter !!!  SO GLAD TO SEE YOU AGAIN !!!  What a nice surprise.  We have to catch up soon  :)

Shygirl -

I'm a little disappointed that all the toothbrushes are the same color  :(  I was hoping for something unique.

Guess Lori and I will both have to get that 2-headed dog like Lacey suggested.  Even though we'd both have one, we live far enough apart that no one would notice and we'd each feel special in our own right.  Although I think we each feel pretty special already  ;)

Wendy -

thanks for the good wishes.  I am very excited - guess that's been obvious for a while now - I'm not very good at disguising my emotions :D  Good luck with your appointment.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2008, 07:12:23 am »
Hey, Jan - can we get pictures???  (Of the processor...)

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Kaybo

« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2008, 07:19:17 am »
Jan~
Today is your BIG DAY!  I know that you will let us know how it goes!!   ;)

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2008, 10:07:12 am »
Jan,  maybe in our custom made gift packs we can use different color toothbrushes!

And Lacey, I think if I were to ride naked on a horse through town - people would be wishing they were deaf - and blind!  At least the semi-deaf folks wouldn't have to listen to the screams of horror!   :o  I might have to go with the two-headed dog, but I would imagine it would eat twice as much???  Better start clipping coupons now.  Or I guess I'll have to accept the fact that I'm just another half-droopy faced person with a bolt in my head who's slightly off balance.  We all know that's not unique! 

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

wendysig

« Reply #52 on: June 04, 2008, 11:20:27 am »
Hi Jan -
It's a shame they couldn't have given you your choice of color for the toothbrush.  Don't they know women like choices and that we like our accessories to match?  How do you like the BAHA?  Is it all you hoped it would be so far?  I know it takes a while to get used to and with time you learn to hear better and better.  I mixed my appointments up.  I thought the appointment with the opthmologist was today and the audiogram was tomorrow.  It was the other way around and  I actually had the new audiogram today. Thank goodness for that little voice in the back of my head that kept nagging me to make sure I had  it right.   I am anxiously waiting to hear from Dr. Choe.  The audiologist already told me though that my hearing has gone down even more and that is not good news, but I really was pretty sure that this was the case, so I wasn't surprised.  My guess is that he will  change his recommendation to translab, since that is what he already said would probably happen if the news was bad.  I was hoping for the best, but at least I was prepared for the news I got from the audiologist. 

Lori -  I loved your posts - yours too Jan about the             riding on horseback and the two headed dog.  I think maybe the woman was Lady Godiva though, but the two headed dog idea works better.  Don't forget the double sided dog bones for your new pets!!  You two really cracked me up!  I laughed until I cried!  Thanks, I needed that!

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #53 on: June 04, 2008, 05:21:32 pm »
And Lacey, I think if I were to ride naked on a horse through town - people would be wishing they were deaf - and blind!  At least the semi-deaf folks wouldn't have to listen to the screams of horror!   :o 

Lori -

I am sitting here in my kitchen literally laughing my a** off at this comment.  Thanks for cracking me up; you rock!  Despite the BAHA it's been kind of a bad day for me - annoying, pushy realtors, ex-husband wrecking havoc in my life, busy doctor, etc.

As for our "gift pack" toothbrushes, I think we should definitely let clients pick their own color and we should customize and/or personalize them.  I want a mint green one with my name written in forest green and I think I'd also like diamonds embedded in it  ;) 

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #54 on: June 04, 2008, 05:34:18 pm »
Wendy -

sorry to hear your hearing is going down hill.  Hearing is usually an issue with ANs and it seems from the many posts on this forum that a lot of us don't "escape" with our hearing intact.  If you do end up having Translab surgery, the BAHA and the TransEar are both good options - and don't forget that lots of people adjust to being SSD.  Sometimes life gives you lemons . . .

As for my BAHA, it will take some getting used to, but I think I'll grow to love it  :D

I've already managed to knock it off my head exiting my van this evening.  I must have gotten my head a little too close to the door frame and I heard a pop, felt it pull and looked down to find my processor on the driveway.  Thank goodness I didn't step on it!  It doesn't seem to have any issues, but I'm glad it has a 12 month warranty.  I'm thinking I should seriously consider the extended warranty though  ;)

This brings back shades of me pulling off my BAHA bandage prematurely when I pulled a shirt over my head.  Graceful I'm not!

I did post some details on another subject called "Can you hear me now?" but I'll probably post more details as the evening goes on.

Jan

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #55 on: June 04, 2008, 06:25:40 pm »
Jan, I am laughing out loud - knocking your BAHA off in the first hour sounds like something I'd do!  I'm just glad you didn't step on it!  Sorry the rest of the day hasn't been as good - but revel in experience of all the new sounds!

Debbi
2.4 cm Right Side AN

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2008, 06:55:27 pm »
Hey, Jan - can we get pictures???  (Of the processor...)

I'll have to take some pictures tonight.  I have to tell you though, they won't be nearly as interesting at the bonnet competition ones  ;D

lori67

« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2008, 07:09:10 pm »
Jan, I knocked my BAHA off trying to get something out of our chest freezer in the garage - I am a bit on the vertically challenged side and as I was trying to reach in there, the top started to close, hitting me in the head, knocking off the processor and sending into the deep, dark recesses of the freezer.  The only way I could reach it was to sort of hang into the freezer, with my feet up in the air - all the while yelling "THAT'S $4000 RIGHT THERE!!!!"  My husband walked into the garage just in time to see my feet sticking out of the freezer and hearing muffled yelling from within.  Sadly, he is so used to me doing strange things, that it didn't really concern him too much.

Nope, I wasn't blessed with grace either...  fortunately, I at least have a hard head to make up for it.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2008, 07:22:28 pm »
So, are you telling us that you had a frozen BAHA?  :D

Debbi

• Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2008, 07:04:00 pm »
I'm guessing that's not all that was frozen! 

Lori, you crack me up!

Debbi  :D
2.4 cm Right Side AN