Author Topic: Happy Anniversary to Me  (Read 17648 times)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
Happy Anniversary to Me
« on: May 30, 2008, 10:30:16 pm »
Well, I have officially made it to my 1 year anniversary.  For many weeks post op I couldn't imagine life ever being normal again, but I'm extremely happy to say that, with the exception of SSD, my life is very normal  :)  I am scheduled to get my BAHA processor in five days and I feel like I've come full circle. 

I don't think I can ever adequately thank the two amazing doctors who performed my retrosigmoid surgery; I am forever grateful to both of them and I realize how fortunate I was to find them.  I can't say enough about their kindness, their dedication, their caring, or their excellent surgical skills.  They got me through some tough, scary times and even managed to add a little humor when it was obvious that I needed it.

I am also very thankful that I found this forum and all the wonderful forumites (I just love that word) who post here.  Lots of you have helped me immensely in the past year and I hope that I in turn have helped others.  We are truly a family and I am proud to be one of the family members.

Jan 

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Boppie

Re: Happy Anniversary to Me
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2008, 10:40:59 pm »
Congratulations, Jan.  I have enjoyed your posts this year.  I am happy we could hang on together.

sgerrard

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 11:48:04 pm »
Me too, Jan.

It may seem odd to others that we would want to celebrate the anniversary of a brain surgery, but it makes perfect sense within our family.

As you know, I have learned a lot from you about BAHAs. ;D  I also appreciate that in between all the joking around, you are always willing to greet and comfort the new and the disheartened.

Congratulations on year #1, and I hope you have many more happy ones.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

Syl

• Forgive me. I'm having an AN moment.
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 02:09:58 am »
Congrats, Jan

I'm glad to hear that life is normal again for you. NORMAL is a reason to celebrate.
My surgery date is quickly approaching, and it is very encouraging for me to see you celebrating life.
Party on sister.

Syl
1.5cm AN rt side; Retrosig June 16, 2008; preserved facial and hearing nerves;
FINALLY FREE OF CHRONIC HEADACHES 4.5 years post-op!!!!!!!
Drs. Kato, Blumenfeld, and Cheung.

cmp

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 06:55:16 am »
Congratulations, Jan! Normal, good health is just about the best reason in the world to celebrate--may you enjoy many more years of it!

And best of luck with the BAHA processor next week--I hope soon your hearing will seem "normal" too!
5 cm AN surgery, Shands Hospital, FL, Dr Albert Rhoton, 1988; VII-XII anastamosis for right-sided facial palsy 1989; diagnosed Feb 2008 w/ 1.8 cm recurrence; drs McKenna & Martuza; surgery rescheduled for 6/24/08!

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 06:59:26 am »
Happy anniversary, Jan!  And, what a wonderful way to celebrate the anniversary week but with a new BAHA - can't wait to hear about that!

You were one of the first people who responded to my initial post right after I'd been diagnosed - and now I feel like you are family!

Enjoy the day!

Debbi
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Nicole222

• Nicole, Mommy to Jordan
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 07:06:36 am »
Happy Anniversary!!   You were also one of the first to come to my aid!  Thanks for everything and a HUGE congratulations for getting to the one year mark and also on the upcoming BAHA.  Can't wait to hear about that ;D
Had surgery (retrosigmoid) May 9th, 2008 to remove a 3.5cm AN from left side.
Home one week later, no facial nerve damage. 
SSD -Left ear.
Thankful daily for fantastic surgeons and wonderful family and friends.
34 years old.  Married mommy to Jordan, 23 months.

Kaybo

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 07:45:17 am »
Jan~
I was going to start a thread for you but I guess I just didn't get up early enough (not to mention the time change)!  YEA for YOU!!  I'm glad you came out even better on the other side -- thanks for all the support & encouragement you have given me!!
 ;D
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2008, 08:10:34 am »
Congratulations, Jan!

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008, 08:41:48 am »
YEEEEAAAAA  Jan ! ! !   It is a wonderful feeling getting past the 1st year.   Best wishes for your BAHA surgery.

Always good thoughts,   Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Drex

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2008, 08:43:33 am »
Jan, many congratulations!  Thank you for your kind messages to me and so many others.  All the best. 

lori67

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2008, 09:19:36 am »
Jan,

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!!!!

What a great anniversary gift you'll be getting very soon too - your very own BAHA!  Now you won't have that bolt in your head for nothing!  Now Steve's BAHA-envy is really going to kick in!

Enjoy your anniversary.  Hope you do something special for yourself.  In your honor, I will eat a cake today.   ;D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

shygirl

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2008, 09:28:58 am »
Congratulations, Jan.

I'm sure you'll love the processor. I've had mine for 3 months and what a difference! When someone speaks to you on your deaf side, you can actually hear them!!!!! Awesome.

Again, congratulations on your 1 year anniversary!!!!

shygirl
2.1 cm AN
dx 7/07
translab 8/07
BAHA 2/08--processor 3/08
chronic headache sufferer

kimberly

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2008, 10:00:00 am »
Happy Anniversary Jan! Congrats! 

Kimberly

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2008, 12:39:00 pm »
Congratulations and happy anniversary, Jan! :)

In the hope that this won't be overlooked in the deluge of congratulatory posts, I'll just say that reaching one year post-op is an important milestone.  Jan, you should also know that you're considered by most to be a valuable asset to our AN community.  Your return to normalcy is definitely something to celebrate.  It's also encouraging to anyone facing surgery who is concerned about the future, so, thank you for sharing it with us.

I hope the BAHA will bring you an even better post-surgery life and that you'll continue to share your experiences (good and not-so-good), humor, advice and observations with us for a long time to come.  Besides, we (sort of) know where you live so if you ever drop out, we'll come and find you.  ;)   

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.