Author Topic: "Brain Tumors and cellphones" on CNN's Larry King Live tonight  (Read 16879 times)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/larry.king.live/

9pm ET. They are also taking email questions... we know there have been numerous discussions about cell phone use and AN's in particular. This could be interesting.... I will try to watch.

I know, I know... I'm logging off.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
Re: "Brain Tumors and cellphones" on CNN's Larry King Live tonight
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 12:15:27 pm »

Thanks Phyl .. I'll try to see it ....  8)
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 12:56:59 pm »
Phyl:

I appreciate the 'heads up' but I'm afraid I have to be the contrarian on this one.  No offense is intended.  Really.

I never watch CNN and I think Larry King is, unfortunately, long past his prime as an interviewer.  More importantly, I reject the theory that cell phones cause brain tumors, including Acoustic Neuromas.  I'm not a doctor or scientist and of course I could be wrong but brain tumors, including AN's, have been around a very long time...long before the invention and widespread use of cell phones.  I see this media attention to a supposed brain tumor-cell phone link as simply fear-mongering and tabloid sensationalism with little in the way of scientific facts to support it.  Mostly supposition and conjecture based on the fact that radio waves transmit the cell-phone audio and we hold the phone next to our ear/head.  Voila!  Cell phones must be causing brain tumors!  Well, anything is possible and maybe they are but I seriously doubt Larry King, who brags about never preparing for an interview, is going to shed any light on the subject. 

Thanks again - but I'll pass.  I'm sure others will tell me all about it, later.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 01:27:41 pm »
Phyl

Thanks for the heads up...

:D :D :D You cannot live without is- can you?  ;) :D ;D

Daisy Head Mazy
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Mark

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 01:29:37 pm »
I'm with Jim on this one. As I've posted before, until someone demonstrates that there has been a statistically significant increase in AN's in the general population since the introduction of cell phones, then there is no scientific basis to claim anything. last time I checked AN's were occurring at about 1/100,000 people or around 3000 per year in the US. Like Jim, I don't know if cell phones will prove out as a causal factor down the road, but until annual AN's start getting over 10,000 or so, I think you have a hard time making the case. This falls under theory , sensationalism and bad science at the moment

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 01:33:22 pm »
um, folks... you are not understanding why I posted this... and noted they are taking emails... because.... there is no foundation to this. This was posted to share with you that if you all want to watch and see what they say, regardless of what we know to be true, that is the only reason.. and as AN'ers.. that you can email them, with backup documentation (medical) to show proof that there is no correlation.

Geesh folks.......

P
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 02:33:42 pm »
It's a heck of a topic, though, isn't it?   :)
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2008, 05:17:31 pm »
For me , the AN caused cell phone use  :o

I didn't have a cell phone until I ended up running between here and Nashville for MRIs ,hearing test ,
balance tests etc etc...figured with the nearly 4 hours each trip spent on I-65 ,  I would like a way to
stay in touch with home in case of emergency or if I was running  later than expected
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2008, 08:08:50 pm »
I just got done watching Larry King Live... and its a shame if you missed it.. .MUCH talk about AN's and possible correlations with cell phone use.  Not to be ruled out... long term studies need to be further enhanced... Dr. Gupta even showed an AN MRI (it was a large AN).  Neurosurgeons from Cedar Sinai, as well as a gentleman from the American Cancer Society as well as others related to microwave industry..... a very enlightening talk... and all concurred that not enough long term studies in place to confirm cell phone use to any brain tumors (malignant or AN's).  Concerns now of younger cell phone users as younger brains are still in developmental stage and more susceptible to issues.... all recommending use of ear buds (bluetooth may have issues since antenae is on the bluetooth unit itself) for all cell phone users until more conclusive studies are available. 

Boppie

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2008, 08:50:26 pm »
A small article in my hometown paper reported statistics and a positive correlation taken from a study of behavior disorders in children born to mothers who used a cell phone 3 to 4 times a day during their pregnancy.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2008, 10:59:27 pm »
Phyl -

thanks for the recap.  I missed Larry, but it sounds like it was a very interesting show.

Just for the record, although you mentioned it was irrelevant, I totally agree with Jim and Mark.

Jan

PS -  aren't you supposed to be on hiatus  ???
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

danijake

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 12:52:03 am »
Hi all,

I guess this is turning into a good old fashioned debate!!! ;)

Very interesting show. I was glued.  :P

I actually have a link for ya'll. It has nothing to do with Larry King but about the use of cell phones and cancer by Dr Mercola_: http://www.mercola.com/               Search--bluetooth--and go to the link- "cell phones and cancer" it's pretty cool. I have to do some research on how to use my cell phone and keep from going totally deaf from the danger...better to be safe than sorry...of cell phones!! I heard the radiation comes from the radio frequencies through the antenna. I don't know. I'm no genius!!! And I can't remember 5 minutes ago!!! ;D

Patti UT

• Keep On Keepin On
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 02:52:52 am »
In looking for some news last night around 10:20pm, I  accidentally caught the Larry King show.  I had not seen this post, but caught the words Acoustic Neuroma while flipping past the station.  I found it very interesting but could not stay awake to watch the whole thing.  I was just awaken (2am)with my dog running in after getting sprayed by a skunk...WEW!!!!  Got that settled down, now can't get back to sleep, the house smells bad.  Flipped on the TV and there was the rerun...so got to see the end I missed last night.   I am a bit skeptical as I know these tumors grow slow and some of ours were probably there long before cell phones.  But I do think it is something to take into consideration.  With all the new tech, we should be paying closer attention.  My AN was on the opposite side I hold the phone to, and I don't use my cell nearly as much as most.  The show got me wondering about microwaves.  I always stand next to the micro waiting for it to heat, usually with my AN side to it. hmmmmmmm,,  but then, they have not been around that long either.  I also have some pretty heafty power lines running behind my house, I've been here 10 yrs.  Lots of contreversy about that too.  In any event, I feel we need to be more aware of harm these things may could  caous even if they have not been proven,  for our kids sake.  After all, they are living on their cells when they don't have the ipod plugged into their ears.
  Jim Scott,  FYI,   I agree, Larry is past his prime as an interviewere,  but this one was worth the watch.  He did little speaking, the four docs he had on were very good.  it was a good debate.  Just a scare tactic???? maybe.  Good way to re generate use of the land line I suppose.  Next it will be the computer monitor and we'll have to go back to writing real letters and re generate use of the postage stamp.  Who knows, but def something to think about. A little causion never hurt anyone.
And if nothing else, it brought awareness to Acoustic Neuroma, showed a diagram of the inner ear and MRI of one of the little buggars.

Patti UT
2cm Rt side  middle fossa  at University of Utah 9/29/04.
rt side deafness, dry eye, no taste, balance & congintive issues, headaches galore
7/9/09 diganosed with recurrent AN. Translab Jan 13 2010  Happy New Year

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2008, 05:39:36 am »
well, regardless of what I think of Larry King as an interviewer, I have to note that the guests he had on were highly creditable and definately give thought to the debate, regardless of what preconceived notions were in place prior to listening to what they had to say.

Here's the written transcript of the show, for anyone interested in reading:

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/0805/27/lkl.01.html

Interesting... although the show started with Johnny Cocorhan's widow, Dr. Black noted that he was treated a few yrs back with a benign, unrelated brain tumor. Had no clue on that one........ didn't say what it was (ie: AN, meningioma, etc).

We know the debate will continue for years to come... IMO, I found it a very informative discussion, regardless of what my final thoughts were after listening to everyone speak.... to me, it was enlightening.....

(Jan, on moderating hiatus.... this, I felt, was worth posting... :) xoxo )

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2008, 06:16:35 am »
Phyl -

thanks for the transcript link.  I've printed it out and will try to find time to read it today.

Glad you are dropping in while on moderating hiatus - I just hope you find time to relax and forget about us (a little bit) for a little while  ;)

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways