Author Topic: "Brain Tumors and cellphones" on CNN's Larry King Live tonight  (Read 16877 times)

Kaybo

Re: "Brain Tumors and cellphones" on CNN's Larry King Live tonight
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2008, 07:41:54 am »
And I have THREE coming up....   :o   :o   :o

K (not looking forward to teenage years...)
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2008, 09:34:14 am »
Kaybo (and Scotty ;D),

Keep playing that Nat King Cole “SMILE� tune you have running on your website… when you get to those teen years.

BTW awesome update photos to your website. You are a real inspiration to us Mothers

“Somewhere over the Rainbow� is nice too

I love your wonderfully positive attitude. Remember during the rough spots Scottie can always beam us up … I wonder what in his music collection that is playing up there in the enterprise?

BTW my teen pointed out that LeVar Burton (from the Reading Rainbow series she used to watch -when she was young) from star trek, “is so cool!�
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LeVar_Burton

( ;) I knew she would go straight to Google- once my laptop became available  :D :D)

She seems to, for now, have her mind off the phone idea and wants glasses like the character he played- Geordi La Forge.
http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/TNG/character/1112463.html
“Those classes are SO cool! Mom I HAVE to have a pair�

I have a flower garden that SO needs weeding… and getting her to help me has been futile. Just seemed like yesterday she was such an eager 6-year-old and said, “Can I help? � … and pulled out all my perennials thinking she was weeding (helping :-\ ). Where did the time fly? :'( :-*

… However now that she is interested in Treky glasses and is motivated to make “my own moneyâ€? …  MMM…Now I just have to find a website that sells these Geordi La Forge glasses and it has a price tag that will get me a lot of “my own moneyâ€? earning-working-hours and motivation from her - to channel all that invisible-attitude-teenage energy into.

Scotty- any idea where I can find such an item? The key here is they have to be scientifically proven to not give off any radiation… and cause… and cause…ONLY God knows what! .

Beam me up- PLEASE! I am looking for  behavior extrinsic motivator “treky glassesâ€?. ;)

Daisy Head Mazy :)

JAN (& other Parents of tweens )... this is an excellent parent resource book
http://www.amazon.com/Totally-Wired-Tweens-Really-Online/dp/0312360126
4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2008, 04:11:10 pm »
DHM:

'Star Trek© Gordie-style' glasses have been around for awhile but they are not even close to cheap and do a lot more than just look uber-kewl.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/01/05/orange-france-goes-slim-with-their-video-glasses/ 

Unfortunately, neither the Star Trek© (Paramount) website or the 'Star Trek Experience'© (Hilton Hotel, Las Vegas) offer them either, at any price, but I wouldn't be surprised if you could find some affordable ST glasses at a Trekkers convention.  Good luck...live long and prosper.  :)

One to beam up!

Sorry, but the transporter beam is enveloping me and I have to leave now.

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Joef

• ** I rather be Kayak Fishing **
« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2008, 09:48:56 pm »
cool  8) I wonder if I get a pair that fit in the BAHA for sound ...
4 cm AN/w BAHA Surgery @House Ear Clinic 08/09/05
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger, Dr. Stefan and Dr. Joni Doherty
1.7 Gram Gold Eye weight surgery on 6/8/07 Milford,CT Hospital

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2008, 02:30:14 pm »
Daisy -

thanks for the link.  I'll have to check it out.  I'm a big Amazon customer  :D

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2008, 07:27:52 am »
mmmm- Have they done any studies on these star trek glasses as they have with cell phones? mmmmm :-\ Will Larry connect these glasses to brain tumor growth?

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

marg

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2008, 05:21:05 pm »
I can't help it.....got to share about my husbands shirt.  He got it in a coffee place  and it says "bean me up biscotti"   .... thought you Trekkers would enjoy this (he gets comments on it all the time)....... now back to the issue at hand.....

I read the Larry King transcript and noticed that they talked about cordless phones too..... I used one for over 15 years ... and only have used  a cell phone for the last 4.  My AN tumor was on the side I (had) used for the phone.  I still have cordless phones but I use them on speaker .... and do the same with my cell phone.    Who knows if they cause brain tumors or not - but I know WAY TOO MANY people in my town of 50,000 with AN tumors.  3 of us work for my school district and my next door neighbor  is NF2.  I have also heard of at least 2 other people in this area with AN tumors.Do the math - the stats do not work out to the  1 in a 100,000 odds  we are told- not in Longview, WA anyway.  Something has to be escalating the problem.... maybe cell/cordless phones..... maybe not - but I'm much more careful now about my phone use.
marg
Marg 
 4 mm  AN removed .. middle fossa   5/07 OHSU  Dr. Delashaw
AN scraped off facial nerve & balance nerve removed
 MRI  follow up showed AN gone ... thank you God
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2008, 05:57:14 pm »
There is a link with the tumors and radiation exposure.

I think the culprit that was in your town was this:
http://ludb.clui.org/ex/i/OR3142/

Even though is was torn down - what is the in soil, water etc where it once was? Were these people there when it was functioning?

I strongly believe that is why the cancer and tumor stats are so high in your community.

Although my ears first started to ring after a head concussion at age 12. I think is was the 1970‘s x-ray they did of my skull that started the growth of the AN tumor and the cells to divide and multiply in a weird way.

I think Marg- it IS Radiation. :-[

I am also curious as to how many AN’er got their tumor on their telephone side? Marg  ;D start a new survey!… Move over Larry King – here comes my buddy Marg… 8)

My tumor was on the telephone side… I used cell, analogue and cordless phones in that ear. Go for it Marg- start a survey thread...

Daisy Head Maizy

sgerrard

« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2008, 08:11:43 pm »
I kind of hate to rain on this parade, but there is nothing unusual about Longview, WA. The rate of 1 per 100,000 is an annual rate. That means than on average, Longview would see a new case every two years. Unless those 6 people all got their ANs the same year, it is about what you would expect for a 12 year period.

If you counted ANs spanning a fifty year period, you could expect to find that 1 out of 2000 people get one sometime during their life. That seems like a big number to me, but with better diagnosis and life expectancy these days, we may actually see that many around us.

With or without cell phones.  :)

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2008, 09:13:11 pm »
Steve,

Where can we get access to the stats on Longview WA?

Daisy

sgerrard

« Reply #40 on: June 21, 2008, 11:33:30 pm »
Google didn't help, so I don't know.  ???

I was really just saying that the 6 people Marg mentioned (herself and 5 others) was not enough to indicate an unusual level in Longview. Another way to look at it is that at the rate of 1/100,000/year, you would expect 10 more cases to show up in Longview over the next 20 years.

I don't know if acoustic neuromas are reported to the Center for Disease Control, or some other central organization, for tabulation by geography, etc. If they are, it is probably by treatment center, and you still might not get a count on Longview itself.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

4cm in Pacific Northwest

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2008, 07:53:02 pm »
I kind of hate to rain on this parade, but there is nothing unusual about Longview, WA.

Ok Ok now look at today's news headlines about Longview WA
http://www.katu.com/news/local/27702054.html

There IS something most unsual about Longview- let me tell you...

DHM

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2008, 08:56:10 am »
Here is the video clip
http://www.katu.com/news/local/27565614.html?video=pop&t=a

A study is needed ...

DHM

Mark

« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2008, 11:02:30 am »
Steve's answer is probably the right one here. This video clip is eerily similar to a situation I lived through back  in Colorado in the mid 80's. The complete story is beyond the scope of this forum and would require several beers or glasses of your favorite libation to get through, but suffice to say it was a neighborhood where several parents with children who had cancer determined there was a cluster and it must have been an environmental factor. They went to the press , got media attention , blamed it on Martin Marrietta poisoning the ground water supply ( from 20 miles away  ::)),even kept pushing the Colorado department of health to bring the EPA to do a full eco scan ( should have seen them out there in their bio suits  :o) . Oh, and by the way destroyed the home values for the next 5 years. My ex-wife who is an epidemiologist and worked with the CDH on the project said the evidence of a cluster was unfounded from the beginning and it was eventually proved out after much community angst.

The reality of situation's like this is
1) children shouldn't get cancer, but in fact it is one of the primary causes of childhood death rates
2) Thus, Parents want a cause or something to blame
3) Cancer is not one disease, but a myriad depending on type and location
4) A cluster statistically has to be the same cancer and then you have to screen out family history's and even how long did they live in the area,etc.

These are always unfortunate situations and certainly a study should be done, but more often than not there is nothing that connects in the end to show that there was a single causal factor

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001