Author Topic: "Brain Tumors and cellphones" on CNN's Larry King Live tonight  (Read 16878 times)

sgerrard

Re: "Brain Tumors and cellphones" on CNN's Larry King Live tonight
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2008, 04:35:13 pm »
Two of the three girls in the Longview story have leukemia, not aplastic anemia. The rate of new leukemia cases in the US is about 1 per 10,000 per year, so Longview will on average see 5 new cases each year. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leukemia#Epidemiology)

What are the chances that somewhere in the US, there will be a school where two girls of the same age get leukemia in the same year? Pretty good, actually. It would be a different matter if the same thing had happened last year, and every year for the past five years, or if it happens again next year, and every year for the next five years. So far, that is not the case in Longview.

The case of aplastic anemia is different, because that is a rarer diagnosis, and there have been seven cases in Cowlitz and Columbia counties over the last 10 years. With a population between the two counties of about 150,000, this is equivalent to about 5 cases per million per year. The standard rate is given as something between 2 and 10 cases per million per year, so if it is unusual, it is not dramatically so.

What would be truly unusual, given the persistent rates of a number of diseases in the US, is if no one in Longview ever got sick. We can only wish it were so.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

marg

« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2008, 10:46:23 pm »
Hi all....   I spent all of my summer taking care of elderly parents .  Starting 3 days after school ended in June ( I am a teacher in Longview)  my husband and I were almost non-stop with his mom.  In the hospital several times , we moved her from assisted to an Adult family home..... then to hospice on August 1st -  where she died  on the 13th.  Three days before my mother-in-law died I drove 50 miles to help move MY mom and dad an additional 50 miles further away to an assisted apartment closer to my sisters and their families.  In addition to this I have been busy trying to support my great-niece who has a very aggressive form of leukemia  (she is a young mama with 2 little children)       Then I started school with kids on Thursday August 28th (of course I was in and out of my classroom the week before in the middle of planning a memorial for my mother-in-law which we just held last Sunday )   SO... I feel totally out of the loop for stuff in the world in general - let alone in my own town here.  All I can say is that yes, Longview is a mill town, yes, pollution has been a problem - and I know that many of the doctors in this town live UP on the top of a very tall hill ( I wonder why ::)  ).  All I know is that when I retire, I plan to move far far away.  ...... if I live that long !
marg
p.s.   Sorry,  I'm just really tired.  Guess I should have put this under the vent subject.   I just really needed to have some down time this summer to continue to recouperate and didn't get ANY time)..... well, maybe next summer... :'(
« Last Edit: September 05, 2008, 12:09:14 am by marg »
Marg 
 4 mm  AN removed .. middle fossa   5/07 OHSU  Dr. Delashaw
AN scraped off facial nerve & balance nerve removed
 MRI  follow up showed AN gone ... thank you God
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !

4cm in Pacific Northwest

« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2008, 08:38:59 am »
BIG gianourmous HUG being sent to you Marg!

DHM

4cm Left, 08/22/07 R/S 11+ hr surgery Stanford U, Dr. Robert Jackler, Dr. Griffith Harsh, Canadian fellow Assist. Dr. Sumit Agrawal. SSD, 3/6 on HB facial scale, stick-on-eyeweight worked, 95% eye function@ 6 months. In neuromuscular facial retraining. Balance regained! Recent MRI -tumor receded!

marg

« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2008, 12:10:42 am »
Thanks so much ..... I'm sending a big hug back.
marg
P.S.  I can't go to the AN support meeting in Portland on the weekend of the 20th.... prior commitment   :'(.  I will miss seeing you there.
Marg 
 4 mm  AN removed .. middle fossa   5/07 OHSU  Dr. Delashaw
AN scraped off facial nerve & balance nerve removed
 MRI  follow up showed AN gone ... thank you God
Some facial paralysis- . SSD weeks after surgery.  Trans-Ear Nov.2007 ... it really helps !

sgerrard

« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2008, 07:52:00 am »
We will miss seeing you too, Marg. Do take care.

Steve
8 mm left AN June 2007,  CK at Stanford Sept 2007.
Hearing lasted a while, but left side is deaf now.
Right side is weak too. Life is quiet.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2008, 08:02:21 am »
marg, first.. please accept my sincere condolences for the loss of your mother-in-law. I'm sorry to hear this news. Please take some time for yourself... and not to worry about us here.  I can see your plate has runneth over and you need to do what is best for you.  Sending MAJOR hugglez to you... pls hang tough.....thoughts are with your family (all the way around) during this rough time.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2008, 03:30:48 pm »
Marg:

Please accept my condolences on the loss of your mother-in-law.  You clearly have a stressful life at this point, but it will get better.  Meanwhile, take whatever time you can find to rest and emotionally recharge.  Remember that you can't be everything to everyone in your life.  You are a human being with physical and emotional limitations, just like anyone else.  'Superwoman' is a cartoon, not reality. 

Take care.  Come back when you're able - we'll be here.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.