Author Topic: Aloha from Hawaii  (Read 7296 times)

Don

Aloha from Hawaii
« on: February 28, 2008, 12:33:59 pm »
 Still fooling around trying to repair the damage from my brain adventures and the results of practicing medicine. In August of 2000 two weeks after my 47th birthyday I had a brain aneurysm burst. I was in a coma for 6 weeks and was told by the neurosurgeon when I finally awoke that I had a brain tumor this is why my hearing was almost gone in my left ear?
 Well since I am a no nonesense guy I asked him after he said it needed to be removed that if he took it out would I hear again? He said no but that it would kill me?
 Well until my brain aneurysm burst I had only spent one night in a hospital so I was very anxious to get away and get my life back but now in retrospect I wish I had asked when the tumor would press on my brain stem and shut me down for good?
 You have to realize I live on a small island in Hawaii the island of Lanai, population less than 3,000 and at the time 1 doctor and I feel this works to my advantage somewhat as their is nobody to try to tell me what I can and cannot do?
 I still drive here even though they damaged my left eye during the surgery and I am now totally deaf in my left ear. I had the crainiotomy to remove it on July 31 a little shy of my aneurysm anniversary at the time I weighed about 100 pounds not to good as I am 6'2", Due to the fact I live on another island I had to fly to Honolulu for the surgery and spend the night in a flop house as they wouldnt check me into the hospital early so I had a tooth brush in a paper bag and showed up for the surgery at 6:30 in the morning, well they drugged me up and the next thing I remember is coming to in a brightly lit room and some nurse chirping, "Well Mr.D your awake! Do you know what time it is?" Things like this really annoy me as Im naked in a paper gown what does she think I have keestered a wrist watch? Anyway she goes on to tell me my surgery lasted over 9 hours and my blood ran cold at the thought as I had walked away from a 6 week coma and brain aneurysm I wasnt feeling lucky then.
 The next day when I saw the neurosurgeon I got on his case as he had assured me the operation would be a piece of cake but it turned out that all my nerves that control my left side were imbedded in the tumor and it took ages to get them out so goes the story, to make matters worse they didnt get it all and I had to undergo a gamma knife in Jan. 2001.
 For those of you that have just been diagnosed leave no stone unturned as my life as I knew it was ruined and the aneurysm was the easy part also a warning about Steroids they caused me to develop oseoporosis and I suffered 5 compression fractures in my spine as a result and spent 4 moths on morphine IVs in bed till I underwent experimental surgery that allowed me to walk agai I am blessed that I have 4 health care options to choose from others may not be so lucky ENSURE you get a bone density scan before under going steroid therapy. I am now 8 yeas after the fact almost blind in my left eye, deaf in my left ear and walk with a cane but I live on a beautiful island and am now an international man of leisure so its OK but if any of you are told that this stuff is routine DO NOt believe it once they cut your skull open you will never be the same dont know why this is but it is so.
 How am I sure about this well prior to my brain surgery I used to hunt here on our island, deer and sheep also free dive and spear fish but since my surgery I cant even begin to think about it as just the sight of an animal being hurt depresses me instantly as I know what that pain is like I cant even watch certain TV shows now it bothers me so much, very strange anyway if anybody has any questions feelfre to ask Im always around these days......Don

Kaybo

Re: Aloha from Hawaii
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 12:59:06 pm »
Hi Don!  Welcome!
OK...here is the big question everyone is dying to ask, but doesn't have the courage so I will do it...

CAN I COME VISIT????????????????

K     ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Don

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 01:05:51 pm »
 LOL if you dont mind riding around with a one eyed one eared Viet Nam Vet, Ex postal worker in my electric truck! Warning my PTSD kicks in around the TSA goons at the airport so you might get back on the plane!

HeadCase2

• Carpe Grog
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 01:16:19 pm »
Hello Don,
  Welcome to the ANA Forum.  It sounds like you've had a rough go of it, although I like the "international man of leisure" part   8) .
Regards,
  Rob
1.5 X 1.0 cm AN- left side
Retrosigmoid 2/9/06
Duke Univ. Hospital

GrogMeister of the PBW

lori67

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 01:19:21 pm »
Don, Aloha to you too - and I think we'd get along just fine!!

I am a one-eared, slightly damaged right eyed surgery veteran who complains about the postal service and the TSA alot.  See, we have more in common than you would think!   :D

I'm sorry to hear about all you've been through. It does sound like you've been able to maintain a sense of humor through it all though.  

I do like K's suggestion of coming to visit.  Maybe surrounding yourself with others like you will boost your spirits.  If not, we'll order some Mai Tai's all around - that ought to do it!!

Hang in there!!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

OMG16

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 01:51:30 pm »
Don it is nice for you to join us.  I'm sorry about all that you have experienced and I wish I could make it all better.

I have a great idea I will hope the plane with K and Lori.  We will meet you away from the airport so you don't need to worry about the PTSD.  I will bring my son with as he to has left sided paralysis.  He is also going to start retraining to drive and I think the island and you teaching him would be a good idea as it scares the heck out of me.

He to has had so many addional problems after surgery.  They ended up leaving the tumor so he went through surgery and the massive post op stroke for nothing.  He has a great attitude almost all the time and has showed us how to live our lives without being bitter angry and depressed.  He is a great son and only 19 now and has always wanted to go to Hawaii!  8)

Kisses to your forehead.  :-* 16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

Don

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008, 02:17:41 pm »
 Like I alluded to earlier not being around doctors has its advantages and this island has NO traffic so as soon as I could walk I started driving again I gave my 4x4 standard shift pick up away and opted for an electric pick up truck as we here pay the highest gas prices in the nation, I no longer drink as I was a heavy duty saucier prior to my aneurysm but now somehow the idea of being disabled and drunk doesnt appeal to me so the last beers I drank were on August 27th 2000, I have to stay upbeat as depression will ruin your day if you let it besides I have a large family now who needs me my black Lab Oprah and my striped cat Pablo and my African Gray Parrot Bongo if you are able get some pets they like brain damaged people sometimes I feed Oprah twice and she loves that! My Parrot likes the fact Im home all day and is learning new words all the time as I have time to spend with him right now Im trying to teach him Ebonics so we watch Judge Joe Brown everyday together, Pablo cat enjoys my company all day also the wife is now semi retired so it helps the few days she does work

Don

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 03:32:10 pm »
 Hi Lori 67 you are not alone, one of the stupidest things I have ever seen in my life was our countries reaction to 9/11 picture this, the island I live on is only serviced by twin engine turbo prop little planes and yet we had national guard troops with machine guns watching every move and since my aneurysms were coiled I now have metal in my brain which sends them into a feeding frenzy and they want to strip search me since I live in nice weather my flying attiire is shorts, T shirt and cheap rubber flip flops that they x-ray? Its insane and they dont realize what they are doing as when I fly I use my retired Navy ID card which allows me access to the bases all over the world and to think that when President Reagan visited Guam when I was there I was part of the armed security detail now Im a terrorist? I got on em so bad they sicced the FBI on me as I was the one who started the no water thing as I told them I could fill a sports water bottle with muratic acid and hose coffee juice or Bruce if I wanted and what about what a fine flame thrower a cigarette lighter and a can of Right Guard make? These Sponge Bobs forgot that until 9/11 the most successful terrorist in US history was Timothy McVeigh and he only did 2 years in the Army, I can make Bin Laden look like the Easter Bunny if I want to. As far as the Post Office goes dont worry they wont exist in 10 years due to backward thinking and PC nonsense trust me on this one just think back dont know how old you are but I recall a wire rack with Kodak film next to almost every cash register in the USA all types, 35mm 110 instamatic you name it. Its all gone now as Kodak was smart enough as a private agency to embrace the technology and are OK The Postal Service on the other hand dropped the ball and thinks it can compete with this if they had some folks with brains in the operation they would have developed an e-mail writer to use with a national internet service provider for e-mail only and gotten rich but they instead thought people would line up to buy Bugs Bunny stickers for their envelopes at almost 50 cents each while ARP can mail you truckloads of trash for a dime? They are a sinking ship and if you work for them like I did retire NOW before they lose it all.  And forget about that ADA nonsense the site where I worked consisted of 4 employees of which I was the youngest and most able but they gave me the boot, I can still work circles around 3 of the staff so dont believe they will assist you it works to my advantage though as I am now an international man of lesiure and do OK as I have my military retirement to fall back on plus I put in for and got my SSDI so if you were working dont let em try to soft soap you get on their case and get your dinero I dont see em asking teen age unwed mothers half the crap I was tormented for get used to the fact that if you worked they dont want to lose your income to raid for taxes.

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 03:42:30 pm »
Aloha Don... good to see you here. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of growth was it (ie: AN, Astrocytoma, Meningioma, etc).  I'm sorry to hear you have endured so much and just sending wishes of wellness to you. I've had the lovely opp to visit Maui and Oahu but Lanai has been on my list of must sees.   If you got any Peaberry coffee beans sitting around, let me know....

Wellness to you... time for you to be healthy!

Mahalo!
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Don

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008, 04:10:27 pm »
 Hi Phyl Im not sure as me and my neuro surgeon dont see eye to eye believe it or not he is a Peruvian Chinese guy sounds like something out of a Hunter S. Thomson article his name is Gonzalo Chong and he knows that I know he wanted to kill me as they were lobbying to remove me from life support like that poor Schivo girl and I am living proof of just how wrong he was? I guess I can find out if it is important I started having problems with that ear back in 1977 as I remember I was at sea on the Uss Midway in the Persian gulf at the time and feeling dizzy at night on the flight deck is no fun? Good thing I went to sick bay about it they thought I had an ear infection and gave me antibiotics but the symptoms kept up and life went on and by the time I was ready to retire from the Navy they couldnt figure out why I was almost deaf in my left ear, the only thing I could figure was that many times trouble shooting a jet aircraft I would climb up to the cockpit and remove my hearing protection from the left ear to shout to the pilot over the roar of the right engine? After retiring I used to self medicate drinking at least a 6 pack of Bud a night to make the whooshing sound in time to my pulse go away it turned out whenever I lay down my BP went out of control but how would I know this? First I had a very bad nose bleed then a few weeks later the aneurysm burst? How does one prepare for this type of stuff? I guess the bottom line is if you feel anything is different in your life go see a doctor but dont just see one, see two at least so you can see if the stories and ju ju add up as I quickly have learned that sadly among the medical professions the first liar dont stand a chance, believe it or not I was even biled for a psych eval while in a coma? The guy must be related to Madame Cleo!
 On a positive note the young MD who saved my life that day and flew on the medi-vac keeping me alive told me had he known of my unilateral hearing loss he would have sent me for an MRI a well if it wasnt for hindsight I would be blind I suppose thats why these sites work as they provide thoughts to prospective victims. 

Don

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008, 05:17:29 pm »
One other thing Phyl is that Lanai is a 45 minute ferry ride from Maui so the best thing to do is visit Maui and make Lanai a day trip as if you dont like solitude and lack of fast food and stores Lanai is not for you Kelly Ripa was staying at one of our resorts and bought her son a box of cereal for xmas as we have only 4 dinky general stores you cant even buy shoes here?

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008, 05:20:08 pm »
I hate shopping... for real.

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2008, 05:28:04 pm »
Hi, Don:

Thanks for your contributions to the forum. 

You have every right to be somewhat cynical but your posts are amusing to read because you've kept your sense of humor (and irony) in spite of a near-fatal medical crisis (the burst aneurysm) and some serious physical setbacks (unilateral hearing and eyesight loss) as a result of your AN.  I certainly thank you for your notable military service.  Your post office experience seems to have been less than rewarding but your forced retirement - and decision to move to Lanaii (a Hawaiian island) is fairly good revenge, if not perfect justice. 

I concur with your assessment on the dismal future of the USPS.  As usual, when a government bureaucracy is in charge of anything, they usually screw it up.  There is no real incentive for excellence, much less to make a profit, and it shows.  If the demise of the U.S.P.S. is imminent, as you predict (I won't argue with your reasoning as it appears sound) few will mourn it's passing. 

The FAA's reaction to 9/11 was probably well-intended but like so many government-based programs, annoying and ultimately ineffectual.  I hardly feel safer from the possibility of having to confront terrorists on an airplane because bored TSI employees are inconveniencing travelers while missing plenty.  However, the urge for politicians and the bureaucracy to DO SOMETHING following the unprecedented attack on our nation back in September 11, 2001, was simply too serious to ignore.  The ease with which a determined terrorist could board, commandeer and crash a commercial airliner was appalling.  I'm not positive it still couldn't be done - but it hasn't - which is a good sign.   Too bad commercial aviation has suffered and the airlines desperate cost-cutting has made flying a struggle.  On time? Amenities?  You've got to be kidding.  Feel safer yet?  Don't get me started on the worthless ADA, it's manifold flaws and inadequate implementation.   Well, enough ranting.

Say hi to Oprah, Pablo and Bongo for us.  Again Don, thanks for your military service and your entertainig, sardonic posts.   You're a welcome addition to the forum.  Good to have you aboard.  :)

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2008, 05:59:10 pm »
He's like the 'John Corey' character in Nelson DeMille's books!
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Ellenmn

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2008, 07:59:52 pm »
Don

I wish you had posted a little earlier than this. I just got home this morning from Maui. I had an AN removed from my right side 6/28/07. I have problems with my right eye but I can still see out of it. I still have right side facial paralysis and I frequently get shooting pains in my head and sometimes just dull constant pain (right sided of course). My balance has gotten really good though, I still have problems when its darker out and I did have a bit of a problem up in the mountain. Other than people looking at you funny and a few comments I had a great time. A couple of things I didn't get to do was a fishing trip (cost) and some snorkeling (wasn't sure how I would handle it yet)

Ellen