Author Topic: Aloha from Hawaii  (Read 7289 times)

jerseygirl

Re: Aloha from Hawaii
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2008, 09:34:47 pm »
Wow, Don, this is quite a story! I am sorry you went through so much. I heard about steroids and osteoporosis but that involved long-term steroid administration. How long were you on them and how big was your tumor?

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Don

« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2008, 12:53:41 am »
 Yeah Ellen you missed out as Lanai has some of the best snorkeling in the world within walking distance of the ferry landing it is a marine preserve so the fish are plentiful and tame snorkeling shouldnt be aa problem I used to spend 5 to six hours in the water somedays spearing fish and grabbing lobster but following my aneurysm I couldnt see so I sat on the beach and cried I was so bummed as this is one of the main reasons I live here and Jim I was working at Lanai's PO and was happy about it as it was a no brainer job and the max I worked was a 40 hour week around Christmas the rest of the year was 32 hours which suited me fine plenty of time for off road motorcycles , fishing, diving and surfing. Eve I suppose I was on cortico steroids for a couple months as the morons at the re-hab hospital were trying to train me for the olympics following my aneurysm, the fools would lay me on a mat and bend my leg and I would scream out in pain and they would get dumb looks on their face and say, "Well that shouldnt hurt?" Never knowing I have degenerative bone disease in both knees after repeated traumas from racing motorcycles so they started injecting me according to my son 1 shot was supposed to do it, two was iffy, but no due to their need to torment me they gave me three? They used to keep me tied up in bed on video 24/7 as I would have loved to escape I would have died there if my Son had not listened to me and had me moved to a nursing home where I was like a premature baby and the average age was 80 something and its hard to recover when folks around you are dying I can assure you I never want to go to one of those places again but they had one commodity that the re-hab didnt an excellent nurse who knew why God gave her two ears and one mouth and listened to her patients and within 4 weeks I had conned em into letting me go as I KNEW if I didnt get back home I would die so my wife had to learn how to tube feed me even though I knew I could eat and drink and would have my boy sneak me water and food and I tore that stupid tracheotomy thing out of my neck and threw it out the car window on the freeway for cryin out loud I know if I can breathe or not. Then a year later I had to deal with the tumor BS no rest for the wicked I suppose. Dr. Chong told me it was the size of a golf ball and I wanted to see it but they said they had to do a biopsy on it? About a week after I got home a woman called and told me my tumor was benign? So I told her in my best black voice"What you say? Why caint it be ten o sumthin what you talkin bout I be nine? she told me this meant I didnt have cancer I guess the term is malignant so far the big C has avoided me and Im keeping my fingers crossed as my sister died from brain cancer and it was not a pretty thing.

jerseygirl

« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2008, 08:42:53 am »
Don,

My mother had a stroke a couple of years ago and because of her and my experience I found that therapists are under pressure to perform even if it means a complete disregard to the patient's pain and well-being later. I believe that pain is the nature's way to tell you that something is wrong and you should change things. I just refuse to put myself through more!

Gosh, you have been through a lot! I hope things are finally stable and you keep making a recovery.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Don

« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2008, 11:08:42 am »
Well Eve recovery is possible it just takes longer at my age, the newest wrench was I found out I was Pre Diabetic last april? I sure as hell dont need no Diabeety to add to the mix so I had to change the way I eat and force myself to walk at least a half mile a day, my number is down now but short of starvation my tool shed wont go away I even do 100 sit ups every morning? I think the brain is messing with my metabolism and even if I eat granola I gain weight granola and yogurt?

Sue

• Que sera, sera
    • My Blog
« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2008, 12:43:09 pm »
Hi Don,

Even in Paradise, nasty things happen.  So sorry about all your troubles.  Do have to mention that I lived in Hawaii for three years.  I have a lot of wonderful memories of that time period. This was when I was but a young lass of 20, back in 1966, when Hawaii was ruled by another Don.  Mr. Ho, that is!   It was an interesting time to live in Hawaii.  Of course, Lanai was owned by Dole and was not a destination point at that time.  Maui was barely a destination point!  Of course, I lived in Honolulu.  Take care of yourself and I wish you all the best aloha to you.

Sue in Vancouver, WA
(Where, surprisingly, there are a lot of Hawaiian people living here.)
PS.  I got the "Diabeety" also.  Got that diagnosis Winter of '03, and AN diagnosis, March of '06.   Bummer!
Sue in Vancouver, USA
 2 cm Left side
Diagnosed 3/13/06 GK 4-18-06
Gamma Knife Center of Oregon
My Blog, where you can read my story.

http://suecollins-blog.blogspot.com/2010/02/hello.html

The only good tumor be a dead tumor. Which it's becoming. Necrosis!
Poet Lorry-ate of Goode

Kaybo

« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2008, 01:53:41 pm »
Doesn't PT stand for "PAIN & TORTURE"??

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2008, 02:08:19 pm »
Doesn't PT stand for "PAIN & TORTURE"??

K

My Moderator Middle name! :D
*skips off merrily*
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

lori67

« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2008, 03:46:40 pm »
I prefer the term "Physical Terrorist", thank you very much.   :P

I had the cutest little old man patient introduce me to his family as that once.  Nearly fell over laughing!

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

jerseygirl

« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2008, 04:03:57 pm »
Don,

It took me fully 10 years to recover from the first AN surgery... only to find out that the tumor is back! I was only 25 at the time. I am also taking my time recovering after the second AN surgery.  It is official: I am a slow poke!

Eve

Don

« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2008, 10:09:18 pm »
 But at least you recovered it has been almost 7 years now and Im still wobbly? If I think back its way better than being in the wheelchair but Ive always been impatient and just wish my body wood cooperate?