Author Topic: Did I open a whole new bag of worms??  (Read 10745 times)

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
Did I open a whole new bag of worms??
« on: February 04, 2008, 03:29:20 pm »
I was unpacking a box from my move last June (yes I know I'm slow).  I came across all of my MRIs and reports and hospital notes.  I am very confused.  I admit that I did not do enough research.  I was scared and figured I was going to kick the bucket anyway, so I just wanted to get that sucker outa there.  I survived and have many problems.  The newest is the side operated on was my right side.  I had perfect hearing in both ears and the only thing wrong with me was I was dizzy all of the time and had and still do not have balance. I am now without hearing in my right ear.  My MRI reports both prior to surgery and after, all refer to the LEFT temporal lobe.  I have a fullness in my left ear now.  (Before I read all the notes and reports). I have made an appointment for another MRI with contrast....I am long over due for next week, but am I reading more into these reports than I need to?
Now I am going to go drink shooters of Tequilla and bury my head..........................
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
Re: Did I open a whole new bag of worms??
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 03:34:59 pm »
Brenda, make it a grey goose martini and I've got the popcorn ready!  :-*

Oh, I really dislike to hear this, esp. from you.... but, you know what? You didn't "kick the bucket" and I'm really glad you didn't! :)

Let's see what the MRI says when you have it done.  Let's see what it says... I (personally) don't like to jump the gun when it comes to reading into too much medical thingy's (as you know, I am FAR too well versed on much that is medical thingy's)..... let's stay kewl and kewl and see what the MRI says.

Don't bury your head... it'll mess up yer hair! ;)

ox
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 04:16:25 pm »
Brenda: 

Although an MRI scan is certainly wise at this point, I would call my surgeon to ask about the discrepancy in the MRI scans between the left and right lobes being affected.  There may be a logical explanation and no need to be depressed. I certainly hope so.

Please keep us informed as to what happens.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 04:32:17 pm »
Brenda:  I am so sorry to hear this.  I agree with Phyl & Jim:  check with the docs & get another MRI.
Take a deep breath & try to keep a peaceful heart.

I remember my 1 year post op MRI, the radiologist said I still had a tumor - it was you guys on this forum that said
it was probably fat packing, etc.  Everyone was right (except the radiologist) - & I had worked myself into a tizzy
for nothing.   Let's all hope this is a misprint,  something, until you know for sure.

Putting out good thoughts for you Brenda,   Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

mema

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2008, 06:53:01 pm »
Brenda,

Let's just hope its an error on them in the report and they meant right temporal lobe.  I know myself I have just as much noise, fullness and earaches in my good ear.  So don't be too concerned with that.  Hope your MRI shows nothing.

mema
6mm x 8mm left AN FSR 26 treatments Nov.-Dec.2005
MD Anderson Orlando, Fl.

Brendalu

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 08:04:44 pm »
Thank you all for your kind words of encouragement.  My PCP scheduled an MRI for Friday morning. She is concerned also, because after contacting my other doctors she is as confused as I am.  She sent me for my original MRI and that report said that the AN was on the left side.  I spent two hours in her office today.  After I left her care for that of the "pros", she didn't worry that I wasn't in the best hands.  She said the only explanation she can see is that I have two ANs and they operated on the bigger of the two.  She saw two in the MRIs I took into her.  I never have and no one else ever mentioned it to me.  I am not going to go off the deep end until she calls me back with the results of the MRI on Friday.  The radiologist has agreed to read them as soon as they are taken and get back to both of us.  I just hope that if there was two that they took the biggest one and the other hasn't grown since my last MRIs.  Thank you all.  Now I'm going to eat a big bowl of popcorn and a martini or two and see what happens next.  At this point I am more confused than anything else.
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

jerseygirl

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 09:56:28 pm »
Brenda,

Please, add me to the confused list! I hope there is a rational explanation and it is in your favor!

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

Static

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 04:51:25 pm »
Brenda,
My thoughts are with you.  I really hope this is all just a misunderstanding.  Either way, I'm here for you if there's anything at all I can do.   Sending lots of hugs your way.
~Karen
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

cookiesecond

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2008, 05:06:29 pm »
Brenda,
You are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope you will have answers soon. Good ones!
Take care,
Lynn

Brendalu

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 06:02:02 am »
Thanks All,

So much for up front, tell you everything doctors.  I have two AN's.  Or had One is gone, the biggest one.  I still have my MRI scheduled for this week, so I'll know if the left one is growing or not.  Then I will be able to make an educated decision what to do.
The explanation I received via my PCP from all the doctors yesterday was that because of my initial testing:  I had two lumps in my right breast (Ultrasound same day as MRI) and the testing for MS all coming back at me the doctors felt that telling me I had two ANs would send me over the top.  Since the left one was very small they felt I had time to deal with all of the other issues coming at me before I would need to deal with the left side of my brain.  Believe me, I am not happy with their decisions.  My PCP was not told or sent the full reports.  She would have helped me deal with it as she is now.  I appreciate all of the good thoughts and prayers and I will keep everyone updated.  Hopefully it hasn't grown.
Hugs,
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 06:46:44 am »
*runs in.... runs over to Brenda and gives BIG massive huggles  :-*  :-*  :-* ...... runs back out to prep for office*
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Cheryl R

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 08:15:20 am »
Brenda,      Big hug to you and I am sorry to hear of your findings.     I am now going on 5 yrs since my  tumor on the good side was found.     It has just really caused problems in the the last 6 mos or so.                 I go to the Univ of Iowa but have talked to Dr Slattery from House at the AN symposiums.         House are having fairly good success with removing small tumors and saving hearing.      I am thinking in the 75-80% range.                Making choices for treatment is just a little harder with bilateral tumors.                       The radiation versus no radaition is a hard chouce also.   My surgeon doesn't believe in it for NF2 as feels it destroys the cochlear nuclei so less of a chance for an implant of some type.                 I will eventually be trying for a cochlear implant.     
   It is terrible how the drs have treated you with not telling your your results.   
       Hang in there and i will be thinking of you!                         Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Cheryl R

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 08:43:23 am »
   To add to the above.     I am thinking I do not have the typical growth rate for the bilateral tumors.   Mine seem to grow faster than most other NF2s  from the people I have talked to. 
    I hope you end up with lots of time to watch and wait.   
                                            Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

mema

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2008, 10:01:20 am »
Brenda,

So sorry to hear of all this.  I often wonder why docs don't tell everything.  I hope and pray your an is small and really doesn't grow to fast.  It sounds like you have a good pcp, thank goodness for that.

mema
6mm x 8mm left AN FSR 26 treatments Nov.-Dec.2005
MD Anderson Orlando, Fl.

jerseygirl

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2008, 11:25:35 am »
Brenda,

Many hugs to you! What a way to find out! I wonder, would they tell you some day or just wait for you to have symptoms when the tumor grows too big to have any choices?!! This reminds me of my own situation when the first neurosurgeon told me, my family and everybody else that he got all the tumor out. Only 10 years later when there was no mistake that the remnants were not scar tissue but a live, growing tumor, he admitted that he did not take all of the tumor out because "one end of it was too far and very friable". Maybe I would not be alive today if got it all out, who knows. He had, however, to tell me that something is left! Needless to say, it affected my life in a big way.

I sincerely hope that your other AN is the same size, you have all the options open to you and , very importantly, preserve your hearing. Do you have any symptoms right now? MS can be easily confused with AN or two ANS. Did that prompt all the testing?

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.