Author Topic: Did I open a whole new bag of worms??  (Read 10744 times)

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
Re: Did I open a whole new bag of worms??
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2008, 12:53:42 pm »
Eve,
The original systems of my AN were extreme clumsiness.  I very poor balance for a number of years and the last several months prior to the diagnosis I was very dizzy.  WHen I fell and really messed up my leg my PCP decided I needed an MRI.  The report she got back was an AN on the right side and gliosis in my central nervous system and "cloudiness" on the left side.  The ENT and the neuro consentrated on the right side and totally dismissed all further MRI reports and MRIs that showed the left side AN.  Because I had so much gliosis in the central nervous system part of my brain, more tests were run and I know have a shot once a month that seems to keep the MS in check.  My balance is worse and the dizziness has never gone away.  I had noticed a fullness in my right ear prior to my surgery.  I am now experiencing the same fullness in my left ear.  I hope that answers your question.  Sometimes I get going and ramble.  I have decided that I have a lot of options open to me and I am going to have a positive attitude if it kills me to have that attitude!
Hugs,
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2008, 01:25:51 pm »
me likes your attitude, Brenda! Hang tough!!!!!! Cheering you on!!!!!!   :-*  :-*  :-*

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

jerseygirl

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2008, 04:21:46 pm »
Brenda,

You have a wonderful attitude! Best of luck to you with this AN and all other health issue and , please , keep us updated.

Eve
Right side AN (6x3x3 cm) removed in 1988 by Drs. Benjamin & Cohen at NYU (16 hrs); nerves involved III - XII.
Regrowth at the brainstem 2.5 cm removed by Dr.Shahinian in 4 hrs at SBI (hopefully, this time forever); nerves involved IV - X with VIII missing. No facial or swallowing issues.

nancyann

• carpe diem
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2008, 05:06:03 pm »
Brenda:  When I read that it IS indeed an AN on the left side,  I honestly thought 'what a nightmare.'    I didn't know what to write to you
about it....   Then, I saw your reply to others - your attitude gives me, & I'm sure others strength, & helps us all realize we need to keep a
positive attitude no matter what is thrown at us...      How we allow ourselves to think/feel, makes all the difference in the world, this is
a lesson I learned from dealing with AN complications;   hopefully we all will continue to live our lives to the fullest, keep ourselves happy
& healthy.

Always good thoughts my friend,   Nancy
2.2cm length x 1.7cm width x 1.3cm  depth
retrosigmoid 6/19/06
Gold weight 7/19/06, removed 3/07
lateral tarsel strip X3
T3 procedure 11/20/07
1.6 Gm platinum weight 7/10/08
lateral canthal sling 11/14/08
Jones tube insert right inner eye 2/27/09
2.4 Gm. Platinum chain 2017
right facial paralysis

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2008, 06:38:53 pm »
Brenda,

We did it for Talyor and am doing it for you.

I have created a national day of big hugs and cuddles fer ya on Friday. The whole country down here somewhere in the Indian ocean will be looking east and sending well wishing thoughts.

Your strength is positive for all of us and I'm sure that with a big hug and well wishing that hopefully you'll be better informed after your MRI. Please make sure you get the real answers from the medico's. To say that they didn't tell you you had two AN's is negligence of the highest order because you may have selected a different treatment option.

Try and be pre-armed with your questions because you may forget when you see them after your MRI.

hugs from down under.

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Brendalu

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2008, 06:04:18 am »
To All of You,
Thank you.   I can feel the hugs, huggles and prayers and I so appreciate them.  I am going into this with a better attitude...........it's probab;y the 120mg of Cymbalta, but what ever it is with all of the encouragement I get from here I know I will be ok, what ever turn my road takes,
Massive Hugs to all of you,
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

tatianne

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2008, 06:35:36 am »
My prayers are with you too...you teach me the importance of a positive outlook..

God Bless
T
Waith and Watcher
July 2006 8mm
Jan 2007 9.5 mm
Jan 2009 1.4 cmm x 5mm
GK surgery completed on May 4, 2009 in Sherbrook Quebec, hoping and praying this will be the beginning of the end of my AN......

Static

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2008, 07:18:52 am »
Brenda,
I have never been good with words.  I'm here for you and want what's best for you.  If you ever need anything, just ask.  Lots of hugs!!!
~Karen
3.5cm AN removed 1-21-04
CSF leak repaired 5/04
SSD Right

candtlaw

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2008, 07:35:59 am »
hugs hugs hugs to you Brenda..... I also wanted you to know you are in my thoughts and my prayers. I agree you have a wonderful attitude and you have a ton of support here :) Hang in there.......
Cyndi
post CK for AN 1cm 04/30/07

Loving my life today :)

OMG16

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2008, 12:42:41 pm »
Brenda I was catching up on the posts I have missed the last couple of weeks and was shocked to read yours.  I do not even know what to say.  You have my full support and we can all help you through this.  Kisses to your forehead.   :-*  :-*  :-*  :-*  :-* 16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

lori67

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2008, 01:30:26 pm »
Brenda, this is just a possibility - but... when the medical profession refers to "left" and "right" sides of the body - the are often using what's called the "anatomical position" - this means looking at a patient standing upright facing you with palms forward.  Their left would be your right, and so on.    So, if you look at your reports, see if it says "the patient's right" or just "right" and that might be where the confusion comes in.

Like, I said, just a possibility - I think a lot of doctors just use the patients actual right and left these days because it does get confusing, but if your doctor is more old school, he might prefer using the anatomical position references.

Hope you get to the bottom of this one and everything's as it should be!
Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

susier

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2008, 07:00:29 pm »
Hi Brenda,
  I haven't been on the site for several months.  You were there for me with encourging words and advice when I first joined this site, and just wanted to you to know that i am thinking of you and praying for good news for you. 

Brendalu

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2008, 06:04:01 am »
Thank you Lori and Susie,

I am one of the "lucky" ones and am double sided!  Fortunately, the left side AN is very small and for a while at least I will be a wait and watcher.  I am also investigating radiation.  I've lost a tiny bit of hearing , so I say huh alot more often.  Audiologist says it could be age related.......no one in my family was ever hard of hearing and lived to be very old.  So I never knew that there was such a thing and I still don't think I believe it!  I am just glad that I found about about this left sided monster before it was too late to preserve my hearing or have a chance to really investigate and make sound decisions. 
Your prayers are appreciated.
Hugs,
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2008, 01:59:09 pm »
*runs in... gives Brenda BIG huggle... runs back out!*  :-*
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2008, 02:06:06 pm »
Brenda -

your positive attitude never fails to amaze me.

I'm glad to hear that the AN on the left is very small; let's hope it stays that way.

Keeping you in my prayers,

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways