Author Topic: What should I bring to the hospital?  (Read 8194 times)

Kate B

• AN World
What should I bring to the hospital?
« on: February 03, 2008, 09:00:27 am »
Some questions have universal information.  This topic is one of them started back in 2005. Atlhough it is located in the archives, it deserves a repeat for those considering surgery now.(Many people posted suggestions back then)
Let me start the dialogue again.

Oftentimes people want to know what to bring to the hospital in order to prepare for surgery. This is the start of the list. Please add what you found helpful so that others can go prepared.

The rudimentary beginning of a list:
1.  Button or zippered top to change into when leaving the hospital
2.  Slip on shoes.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2008, 07:47:56 am by Kate B »
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

Cheryl R

Re: What should I bring to the hospital?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 09:43:34 am »
More items for the hospital.       
   Lip balm
   Refresh Liquigel      in case of dry eye for daytime use.       I was only given  "tears" which weren't strong enough.
    May need to take bow off glasses as may not fit over bandage
    I used a cosmetic bag to keep things together as the bedside table isn't real big
     Face cleaner wipes were handier than face wash.   Face lotion.        Forget make up.   You won't feel like it.                       Soft compact toothbrush as may have sore jaw.
     Robe for walking in the hall.   
      Picture of kids or grandkids!            Helps brighten the spirits.           
                                               Cheryl R 
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

pimento

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 12:39:57 pm »
Lip balm for sure!!
photos of family and friends
and those disposable toothpaste things that go on your finger, I forget the name brand.
Oh and deodorant is a good thing too.
Acoustic Neuroma discovered October 11, 2003
Acoustic Neuroma removed via surgery October 14, 2003
Size of AN : 5+
Slight facial palsy
No headaches
No Problem!

lori67

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 02:46:29 pm »
A comfortable pillow that doesn't make squishy, crinkly plastic noises when you put your head on it.

Sunglasses to wear home.  You won't believe how bright it can be out there when you can't close your eye!

And have someone bring you some ice cream to stash in the nurse's freezer.  Very soothing on a sore throat...

I second the deodorant!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2008, 05:12:33 pm »
I found the previous thread with suggestions from previous surgery patients.
I hope this helps as you pack. 

http://anausa.org/forum/index.php?topic=34.msg154#msg154
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

cabram

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 05:54:31 am »
i just got out the hospital, all i used was slippers and lip balm even though I gad other items packed, since I was in ICU for 3 days no change needed, on the 4th day I was released

OMG16

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 09:53:42 pm »
I found a bathing suit or swimming trunks were needed to help my son shower.  This could also be helpful for those that have to stay longer and have balance or dizziness problems.  You don't have to wait on a nurses aide to help when you come prepared.  Teenagers do not want someone they do not know helping them shower anyways.  We also found it helpful as he stabilized and started sleeping through the night that some tylenol pm was great for us to get some sleep. Also a shower cap if you have an incision that can not get wet.

When he was transferred to inpatient rehab we decorated his room with some of his posters from home.  We also put pictures of him doing all of the things he could do before his surgery and stroke on the door to his room.  We had an unexpected result and everyone started to treat him differently and this really suprised us.  They did not see him as a brain tumor, post surgical and stroke patient and started to treat him like a normal teenage boy.  I did notice when we left all the doors had the same sort of tribute on them.  I am glad we could help the staff see how much the kids just wanted to be treated like they were still just the same as before on the inside anyways.

We also talked to the nurses and got the OK to bring in his wiener dog for a short visit.  However the Neurologist came in and caught us as Sammy Little Wiener decided it would be good if he protected him and started barking and growling.  It really was good for our Son and lifted his spirits more than anyone had anticipated.  I don't know if I recommend this without approval.  ;) 16
I believe you are given choices in life and it is not what has happened to you that defines who you are.  It is how you handle the situation and finding the positive in an almost hopeless situation that counts the most.  My son is my hero and I have had the pleasure of learning this from him.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 10:22:26 pm »
Didn't find PJs necessary - basically wore the hospital gowns the entire time - but slippers and a robe were very helpful for walking the hallways; something you'll have to do before they'll release you.

And as Lori said, sunglasses for the trip home were essential.
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

elderbirds

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 10:04:37 pm »
In regards to the hospital, how was the car ride home from the hospital?  Any words of wisdom to make it a gentler ride home?  We live about 30-40 minutes from the hospital and I was just curious in regards to balence and motion if the ride home was difficult.  I have to get home some how, and I have warned my husband when the time comes, to please dry gently!
Hope

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 10:45:00 pm »
My car ride from the hospital was approximately one hour.  I felt nauseus most of the way; I think it was due to the motion of the car.  But keep in mind I hadn't ventured outside of my hospital room - except to briefly walk down the hall - for 5 days.  I also had a big issue with nausea post op, so maybe my experience wasn't what others experienced. 

The ride did get better the longer I was in the car - probably my body getting used to the movement of the car.  I wasn't horribly uncomfortable, but it didn't feel "normal" either.

As Lori suggested, wear sunglasses - even if the day is overcast.   For some reason my eyes were very sensitive to daylight post op; the sunglasses were a huge help. 
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Cheryl R

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 08:07:34 am »
I have a 2 1/2 hr ride to the hospital and have did fine with all my surgeries.    I also sat up all the times as am not way to lay down in a car.    I had no nausea.    I did get kind of a weird feel in the head when we were going 70 and it felt better when drove a little slower.  That was only the last trip after my 2nd surgery in 2 weeks for the CSF leak.   
      Hopefully it will go fine for you.                             Cheryl R
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

TP

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 09:32:35 pm »
I did not like my ride home from the hospital after my AN was removed. The streets were in bad shape and we had to go Interstate 95 with crazy people driving. I was nervous and anxious to get home. Each visit back to my dr got easier but it took several visits before I felt comfortable (take a pillow). I don't know how folks could travel far to get this done. I was about 45 minutes away from my Dr and it felt like a major trip the first few visits. When I had my eye operated on about a year later, I had to drive about 1 1/2 hours to my dr, didn't care for those trips either. Make sure someone is available to drive you back and forth for at least the first month or two. I didn't drive myself to the Dr until about 2 1/2 months. My husband wanted to go so he could be there with me when I met with the Dr.
4+cmm left retromastoid of cerebellopontine angle tumor removed 6/5/06; Dr. Eric Gabriel, St. Vincents, Jacksonville, FL
Left ear hearing loss, left eye gold weight, facial paralysis; 48 year old female. Dr. Khuddas - my hero - corrected my double vision

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2008, 04:21:14 pm »
My suggestion is: don't over-pack. 

Remember, this isn't a vacation at a resort and, in the immediate aftermath of surgery, even the ladies won't be concerned much about how they look.  The nurses are used to seeing sick people and, aside from any medical concerns, hardly care about passing judgment on anyone's appearance.  I realized this when my wife was hospitalized (due to undergoing back surgery) for 5 days the year before I was diagnosed and had my AN operated on.   She never wears makeup and has very, very short hair, all of which were to her distinct advantage as she slowly recuperated in the hospital after her surgery.  She did ask me to being disposable 'wipes' for her face but aside from that and some (low-calorie) snack food, she didn't need much and when my 'turn' as a hospital patient came, neither did I. 

All I really needed in the hospital (4 days in ICU, ½ day in a semi-private room before a mid-day discharge) were my sneakers (for walking the hallways), a robe from home and a few paperback books that I hardly read, as my vision was a bit unfocused for the first few days after surgery.  It returned quickly.  I slept a good deal of the time in ICU and read or watched TV when awake.  The 'pillow from home' is a good idea that I wish I had thought of.  Still, with my post-op fatigue, I slept just fine.  I think a lot of folks bring stuff they never need or use to the hospital while some don't bring what they should.  This thread should help remedy that.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

krbonner

• www.facebook.com/krbonner, bunnums on Twitter
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2008, 09:50:00 pm »
The only things I found I really used from home were:

1) pillow (the hospital ones were horrid)
2) socks (ditto about the hospital ones)
3) slip on shoes (hospital floors are germ infested nightmares - you don't want to walk around in socks or bare feet and then put those in your bed!).  I used a pair of Crocs - easy to get on-off, and when you get home you can throw them in the washing machine with hot water to kill all the nasty hospital floor junk.

Katie
diagnosed June 2005
2.3cmx1.6cmx1.4cm left AN
translab Sept 13, 2006; Drs. McKenna and Barker in MA (MEEI/MGH)

Kaybo

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2008, 05:39:37 pm »
Hope~
I only had to go from the medial center in Houston out about 30 minutes (& then back a couple of times when they were afraid I had a leak) but the road was AWFUL (Pierce Elevated??).  They have since redone it but it was TORTURE on my head -- probably when I went back more than when I initially came home.  If at all possible, drive the route 1st and see if there are any horrible "bumps" and just plan a different route to avoid any extra unpleasantness!
K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!