Author Topic: What should I bring to the hospital?  (Read 8166 times)

Don

Re: What should I bring to the hospital?
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2008, 06:12:16 pm »
 I cant speak for the young ones but if I go under again I'm definetly bringing a cell phone and a credit card this way I can order some real food and get phone calls 24/7 instead of the switchboard room thing, an iPod is a must  also.

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2008, 07:50:35 am »
Many people have offered some suggestions on what to take to the hospital.
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

MAlegant

• 50th birthday party pic
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2008, 06:30:27 am »
Hi there,
I even started a thread on this before my surgery!  I brought pj's and a robe which I did put on once I got into my room.  I packed but did not use slippers, reading material and other things.  Here's what I would pack if I had it to do over:

Robe
PJ's only if the top has buttons
Underwear
Toothbrush and toothpaste
Mild pre-moistened facial washcloths (used them all over and they made me feel a ton better)
LIP BALM
Button shirt for going home since putting anything on over my head was an adventure and not a good one
Sunglasses with gauze for the part that goes on your ear. My incision was very close to that spot and the sunglasses made me crazy so I just closed my eyes for the trip home.
Make-up if you're a woman, just because you never know if you'll feel good enough to use it.  I didn't but you never know...

Good luck,
Marci
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2008, 03:19:53 pm »
I hate to differ, but I'd leave the makeup at home  :P

The iPod also.  I brought my iPod to the hospital and since I ended up being SSD from the surgery, it was very discouraging to try to listen to music the way I normally did.  It wasn't until I got home and started reading this forum that I found out about a mono plug for my iPod and thankfully started listening to it again.  There's also the matter of the huge mastoid bandage that lots of us wore post op.

The cell phone is a great idea, but make sure you ask hospital personnel if it's okay to use it.  As you probably know, lots of areas of the hospital restrict cell phone usage since cell phones interfere with certain medical machines.

My best advice, is don't overpack.  The hospital pretty much provides you with most of what you'll need.

Jan 
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 03:21:54 pm by leapyrtwins »
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

MAlegant

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2008, 04:15:30 pm »
Sorry Jan, I'm a chronic over-packer.  It's a serious issue for me.   :D  You are however, right.  You really don't "need" to bring anything to the hospital, they do give you almost everything.
Marci (even over-pack my purse)
3cmx4cm trigeminal neuroma, involved all the facial nerves, dx July 8, 2008, tx July 22, 2008, home on July 24, 2008. Amazing care at University Hospitals in Cleveland.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2008, 08:30:18 am »
Marci -

I generally overpack also.  My brother, who travels a lot for business, gave me this tip.  Pack your suitcase the night before then the next morning remove half of what you packed.  I find this to be great advice - not that I ever follow it   :D

As for the makeup, maybe I just can't fathom it because I rarely wear any.  I was floored when my brother's girlfriend had to blow dry her hair plus put on a full face of makeup before heading to the beach last month  ::)  Guess I'm just low maintenance  ;)

Jan
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
Thread hijack
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2008, 04:21:38 pm »
Jan:

You're just like my wife!  She has never worn makeup and has very short hair that requires little 'maintenance'. I think she looks great (and often tell her so).  I wouldn't want her to change a thing.  She's been hospitalized quite a few times for various problems, mainly spinal surgeries, and not needing to fret about her hair or be concerned with putting on make-up is a little time-and-effort-saving bonus.  She has also learned to pack light and knows that if she really needs anything, I'll bring it to her.  I followed her example when I had my AN surgery (first time hospitalized since I was eight years old) and it worked out splendidly.  I had all I needed and if I didn't, she brought it to me from home.  I recommend this approach in lieu of the long list of 'necessary' items some folks seem to think they'll desperately need. 

I understand that ladies have some extra requirements and most use make-up and have concerns about their hair and general appearance - that's perfectly normal.  I'm simply noting that having AN surgery and a hospital stay, some of it in the ICU, isn't quite the same as going away on a vacation.  I also know that some women find the hairdo-and-makeup routine comforting and soothing.  If that is the case, they should certainly follow that instinct.  I'm just saying that for some women, there are other options to be pursued when packing for a hospital stay.  I agree with you and others that 'packing light' is a very practical idea.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2008, 08:46:58 pm »
Jim -

sounds like your wife is a woman after my own heart - no makeup and very short hair means we have a lot in common  8)

I was too busy post op dealing with double-vision, nausea, and dizziness to give any thought to my looks - despite the fleeting idea that there might be some very attractive, single doctors present  ;)  LOL

Jan

Kaybo

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2008, 08:41:58 am »
Marci~
I am an overpacker too and married into a family of VERY LIGHT packers (they also have traveled a LOT more than me).  I always have what we need when we go on these big family trips though!!  I was VERY proud of myself this weekend - I only took ONE pair of shoes for the whole weekend!!  Can you believe that one??  I took 2 pair for each of my girlies!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

MAlegant

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2008, 09:28:36 am »
Kay,
If I only took one pair of shoes on a vacation I'd have to buy a pair.  I just couldn't do it. 
M

Kaybo

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2008, 10:17:34 am »
Marci~
I have to come clean and say that it was at a Hyatt Resort that has a Lazy River and that is all we do.  I just took some kind of nice looking flip-flops (black Privo! w/ cute white polka dots) - that is about all I wear in summer anyway!  We did go out to the really nice resort restarant the last night (just adults) but they did fine - the dress said "Business Casual" but they obviously didn't enforce it since all our guys only had shorts or jeans!  I looked better than some...

K
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2008, 10:46:54 am »
Ditto what Jan said on leaving the make-up at home!  The way I see it, when you've got a giant bandage on your head, goop in your hair, a black eye, IV's and drains sticking out of you - no one is going to be admiring your make-up!

I can't honestly say that while I was working as a nurse, I ever walked into a hospital room and said "Well, she looks like death warmed over, but her makeup is fabulous!".

I tend to overpack for vacations, but for me, packing for the hospital requires a toothbrush, some pj's, undies and socks and chap stick!  Other than that, if they don't provide it there, I probably don't need it.  Of course, there is the usual request for ice cream once I'm settled in a room.  Can't really pack that in advance!

Lori - truly low-maintenance, although my husband won't admit it.
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.