Author Topic: New thread by Dan/f706 and responses (moved from WTT thread)  (Read 17209 times)

linnilue

Re: New thread by Dan/f706 and responses (moved from WTT thread)
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2007, 09:16:03 am »
The study in question was done at Davis Med center, Sacramento.  My husband found the study through medline which you have to pay a fee to view the studies.  The link is http://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed   The author of the study is Julian Perks Jr.  He/She has an email address of julian.perks@ucdmc.ucdavis.edu     If you use the medline site just put in the word gammaknife and quite a few sudies pop up.  The other place to go is  jnnp.bmjjournals.com  there are many studies there.  I hope this helps.  However I think he still hasn't found the exact study that we read last year.  I will publish it when he finds it. 
Left AN dx. 11/05 Linac radiosurgery 01/06 Burlington, VT for a 9mm x 5mm tumor.  No necrosis yet (2 yrs. post-op).  Multiple post radiosurgery complications, some permanent.  Have radio-oncologist here.  Now see Dr. McKenna, Mass. Eye & Ear Instit., Boston for flollow-up care as my main An doctor.

macintosh

« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2007, 10:57:29 am »
Dan--

I had LINAC treatment. It's not as precise as GK or CK, but it was in network, the team was very experienced, and my AN was small, so I decided it was okay. So far, things are fine.

Mac

Mark

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2007, 11:40:35 am »
In reading through this thread, I thought it would be helpful to clarify some of the terminology.

LINAC is short for linear accelerator which is the source of radiation in all of the machines mentioned except for GK (cobalt) and Proton. This is true for CK as a dedicated radiosurgery machine as well as the radiotherapy machines (Novalis, trilogy, etc) which can be used in treating AN's. There is no difference in treatment efficacy for AN's based on radiation source being cobalt or LINAC. I'm not sure if that holds for Proton however.

I would certainly agree with the other posts re: malignant transformation and surgeons disengaging when radiosurgery is mentioned.

I would love to know what insurance company thinks GK is "experimental" at this point given it's been around since 1969 and used on over a 100K people with AN's since then. I would certainly have fun asking the individual making that comment what sample size and study period they think is adequate to no longer be experimental  ;D. Based on that logic they probably still endorse leeches and blood letting as a primary therapy  :o

Mark
CK for a 2 cm AN with Dr. Chang/ Dr. Gibbs at Stanford
November 2001

f706

« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2007, 03:15:50 pm »
To all who have jumped in today:

I can't thank you enough for your comments and links etc.  The literature the neuro sent home with me really freaked out my bride of 35 years.  Her first thought is that I'd better have the surgery, then when I read to her the side effects from some of the posts here she panicked.  I told her that we are not in any hurry because this thing has been growing at least 23 years that I've been aware of.  A few months more is not going to be critical.  The premiere cancer treatment center in our state is building a brand new facility about 1/2 mile from my home.  It is already operational.  Wouldn't it be nice to have FSR from that location?  Dream on.

We still haven't heard from the Radio-surgeon we were referred to.  He has my MRI and the neuro-otologist's notes as well as my ENT's notes and audiograms.  I expect to hear from him monday or tuesday.  Of course I would prefer to go to Stanford or one of the other big centers for CK/GK, but the main thing is to get the insurance co. to allow the radio treatment.  One battle at a time.

Thanks again to all of you,

Dan

Betsy

« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2007, 08:55:48 pm »
Hi Dan,

I just read through this thread and wanted to add a couple comments.  You're in a tough spot being a caregiver.  Everyone says "take care of yourself first", but how often is that really possible?  Sometimes you have to though, like on an airplane when they tell you to put on your own oxygen mask before helping others.

My Dad had MS, and for the last 13 years of his life, was completely bedridden and dependent on others for every aspect of his care.  My Mom was a saint; she kept him clean, well-fed, and healthy.  When he first started needing that level of care, I was living 500+ miles away and only got home a few times year.  I know my folks felt the same as you; they didn't want me to give up my job and friends.  But I did.  Dad passed on in 2003, and I'm so glad I was able spent so much time with him in his last few years.  There are some things you don't get a second chance to do, and I have no regrets.  I wanted to share this with you because as much as you want your kids to succeed in school/career/life, they might feel just as strongly about helping you.  I hope I haven't stepped over the line, I just wanted to share a "kids" viewpoint.

You're under so much stress right now.  Please know that you're not alone.  The folks on this form are a great comfort.  I also think you're a hero for standing by your wife.  Even heroes need a break sometimes, so try to take a moment for yourself once in awhile.  Post when you can and let us know how you're doing.

Betsy
15mm left side AN, diagnosed 4/25/07, radiosurgery via Trilogy 8/22/07.  Necrosis & shrinkage to 12.8mm April 2009

f706

« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2007, 11:57:01 pm »
Betsy:

Thank you for your post.  I, too, was able to spend a few years taking care of my father as he died.  I watched my mother take care of him for nearly 20 years as his health steadily declined:  Three total hip replacements, two open heart surgeries, gall baldder removal, surgery on both elbows and finally supra-neuclear palsey (the disease that killed Dudley Moore).  The stress, I believe, ultimately killed my mother, nine months before my father died.  Yes, the stress of careing for my sweetheart is definitly taking a toll on me.  For the first time in our married life she went on a trip without me.  I sent her to Rhode Island to spend two weeks with my daughter (my daughter's idea).  Upon her return I could feel the stresses returning. 

If my children were to leave their current lives to help out their old man it would possibly derail the rest of their professional lives.  Ulitmately, they will have to take care of one or the both of us, but it needs to be after they are established, at least three or four years from now.  I do not believe that the dogmatism of one physician should have that kind of impact upon the lives of 9 people. 

On a personal note, I believe that my most important job/function/calling in my life has been completed:  I've raised four of the most talented, terriffic, good and decent people I've had the pleasure to know.  My oldest daughter has no guile.  She is brilliant.  A concert level pianist and a doctoral candidate (victorian liturature) at Brown University.  She makes quilts and gives them away (she spent two years making one for us).  A champion swimmer. Tall, blonde, blue-eyed, Sweet.  My next daughter a beautiful singer.  A master's degree in English. Champion waterpolo player.  Mastered the piano in her big sister's shadow.  Her most incredible talent is writing.  For a sample you could go to "Feminist Mormon Housewives" web blog and read "to the lighthouse or Hell's angels" (I don't know how to insert a link).  She holds a very responsible and high position at a major museum in New York City.  She has met presidents of at least 5 countries and negotiated gifts with the heads of major government agencies.  She also has a debilitating disease that could make her end up as her mother.  Both my daughters' husbands are in the final year of completing thier Ph D's.  My first son was one of the country's leading high school baseball prospects.  Like many littly boys his dream was to play pro ball.  He always thought of himself as a baseball player.  School was something you went to so you could play baseball.  And he could hit the ball really, REALLY far.  but He refused an offer from a major league team to accept a full scholarship to Stanford University and to spend two years in volunteer service to his church in Australia.  Upon entering Stanford he immediately suffered serious knee damage and subsequent repair.  His first year at Stanford he carried ninteen credit hours, endured the three surgeries, two hours of rehabilitation and six hours of baseball practice daily (he couldn't practice, but he dressed and attended, shagging baseballs or raking dirt, whatever he could).  The Dr. told the coach my son would never be able to play again, but my son wouldn't believe it.  He played baseball that following summer in Ohio where he lived with the team in a warehouse.  His next year at stanford the coach wouldn't play him except at the very end of a game--sometimes (the coach was afraid he'd damage his knees again).  He got to the plate only 12 times that year, but he was drafted by the Seattle Mariner's Baseball team in the middle rounds.  My son told them--"thank you, but I need to finish my degree at stanford, and the bonus money in this round will not pay for that".  The next year he got to the plate only 37 times.  By the end of the year he had only 9 hours left to get his degree from Stanford.  The coach told him he was still afraid to play my son, so my son left stanford for the University of San Fransisco.  He transferred his last 9 hours to Stanford to get that degree.  Three days before the season started he ruptured a disk in his back that ended his baseball dreams.  USF offered him an assistant coaching position, but he told them he needed to get his law degree.  My last son, only 22, is beginning his 3rd year at Columbia University, again on a baseball track.  He declined an appointment to West Point, again to serve his church in Chile for two years.  He was only 8 when his mother became disabled.  He has been my biggest assistant in careing for my bride for the last 14 years (except for those when he was in Chile or while in New York at school).  These are truly extraordinary people.  The first three are married and their spouses are every bit as impressive. 

I apologize for the long and personal narrative, but I believe that my job, except for enjoying whatever time I have with my wife, is done.  All I need to do now is to out live my dear wife.  By looking into my family you will see that in good concience I cannot impose upon my children in either  their schooling, careers or health.  How could I say to my oldest, "you and your husband need to change your plans in the last year of your education and come and help me".  Or to my next daughter,  "sacrifice your career, your health and your husband's final year in school to come and help me".  Or to my oldest son, "hey, you were cheated out of your biggest dream, so now I'm going to ask you to give up your next dream to come and help me".  Or to my last son, "sorry, you've got to delay your own life a little longer to take care of me and your mom now".  Sure, I had hoped to spend many years visiting my kids in their lives, but that dream ended with my wife's diagnosis.  We have rafted the Grand Canyon and explored deserts in a  four-wheel drive, snorkled in the atlantic ocean and eaten the most wonderful mexican food in San Diego.  If I can spend the remaining years my wife has in good health, then they will be happy for her.  After that--then I can move close to one of my kids and let them worry about me then.  Not now.

Again, sorry to ramble.  I'm just not used to being the one in need and it makes me want to get a lot of stuff out.  I've always been the one to handle things--death, illness, business issues, estate settlement--you name it, I've likely dealt with it.  This bugs the Hell out of me.  The doc's are supposed to see things my way and tell the insurance company to do what I want.  My inclination is to find out who is in charge and to "read to them from the book" and get this fixed.  Trot out that cobalt and let's get this done.  ARRGGG.  I'd better stop.

Anyway Betsy, thank you again.  All you folks are great.  You likely know what I mean, but I've got to say it.  You give me the outlet I need to vent, and you have provided so much information that cannot begin to imagine how I would have learned so much so quickly without you.

Thanks,

Dan

Betsy

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2007, 03:54:55 pm »
Dan, I could feel the pride in your post!  And no wonder; your kids turned out great.  I bet Thanksgiving dinners at your house are fascinating.  Thank you for sharing that with us.  As they say, "the nut doesn't fall too far from the tree".

I've got a few years on your kids though.  My formal education and marriage were far behind me when I made my decision to move closer to home.  I remember thinking that none of my accomplishments would stand the test of time, but I could make a difference in the lives of my parents.  But would I have made the same decision if I had been in my 20's rather than my 40's?  I'm not sure.  I like to think that I would have, but who knows?

Just read "Hell’s Angels, or To The Lighthouse" with tears in my eyes.  Your daugher is gifted and her writing touched me, especially the line "A Mother’s light still shines in frailty."  It made me think of my Dad, and how his light was brighter than the dementia.

Don't let one doctor's opinion derail you, keep collecting information and you WILL find the right approach for you.  Let us know what the radiation doc says.

And with that, I'm headed outside to marvel once again at how quickly my garden has grown in only one week, and to pray that the garden is the ONLY thing around here growing!

Betsy
15mm left side AN, diagnosed 4/25/07, radiosurgery via Trilogy 8/22/07.  Necrosis & shrinkage to 12.8mm April 2009

f706

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2007, 09:18:03 pm »
Just to update:

I got news today that my insurance company has approved FSR/CK/GK for me.  I've an appointment with "THE GUY" in town next tuesday.  It is my understanding that he zaps about 10 tumors each month (various types).  I will have many questions, but unless he is handing out white canes with each treatment, whatever he recommends will likely be better for me and mine than the micro surgery.  It is interesting the range of emotions I'm going through.  Little things have nearly brought me to tears.  I've sought some support to take some of the stress off my life--things I'm used to dealing with daily.  I just don't have the emotional energy anymore.  Anyway, next tuesday I'll have my answers, I'm also scheduled for a raise at work on the same day. B-)  Cool.

Dan

Betsy

« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2007, 05:58:25 pm »
Dan, that's good news about your insurance company, but the better news is that you have some help with the everyday stuff.  The smallest things can become overwhelming...especially when there are so many of those small things!  Congrats on the raise, too!

Will be thinking about you on Tuesday.  Let us know how it goes.

Betsy

Ellenmn

« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2007, 06:35:36 am »
Best of luck on your appointment Tuesday.

mema

« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2007, 06:55:18 am »
Dan,                                                                                                                                                                                       

So glad to hear your insurance will cover radiation procedures.  I had FSR 25 treatments.   I gained 30 lbs during treatment. go figure. Each week at weigh in the nurses would laugh.  Ironically, when I watch a romantic movie or a news story which is sad, actually anything emotional I instantly get chills throughout my whole body and head. Good luck with your decision.  My prayers are with you.                 

P.S.  I lost those 30 lbs                                                                                       mema
6mm x 8mm left AN FSR 26 treatments Nov.-Dec.2005
MD Anderson Orlando, Fl.

f706

« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2007, 12:02:41 pm »
Betsy, Ellenmn and Mema:

Thank you for your kind words and thoughts.  I find that it is too easy to be selfish about this situation we find ourselves in.  I am talking about me.  I have not posted my "best wishes" to anyone else here and yet so many folks are keeping me in their thoughts and prayers.  I'm ashamed of myself.

I suppose this is the result of suspecting I had this for the past 25 years.  I used to be an audiologist.  The most important thing I looked for in testing a patient was a unilateral hearing loss.  When one began in me I went to a colleague for an evaluation but they found nothing (before MRI).  So for the next 20 years I wrote it off as my being exposed almost daily to wind in my left ear (I drove an open top Land Cruiser).  After I no longer was exposed to the wind the loss continued to worsen and I pretended there was nothing serious, after all, I'd had it tested and there was nothing to report, right?  Deep down I knew what this was, but when I was in college these things were practically a death sentence.  So I pretended.  Then when I could ignore it no longer I went to a real doctor and here I am.  So, while most of you have been through the surgery/treatment or have just found out you have something and are learning what it is, I've been worrying about this since 1981 or 82.  I guess that is why I'm so selfish about offering my best thoughts, wishes and prayers to all of you, I feel somewhat embarrassed.  But I do wish you all the best.  I look forward to the day that there will be no need for any open surgery for these things because of the side effects and the devastation that can come.  I am anxious for the day when "Dr. Crusher can do the heart transplant in JeanLuc Picard by passing her medical tricorder over him".  I'm usually quite brave and stoic, but this has un-done me.  Again, I think, from worrying about it for so many years.

I do feel fortunate (today) that I, in all likelihood, will not go under the stainless steel knife.  I know that my life is about to change.  I guess I'm waiting for the time that I can post a response to a "newbie" to be of good cheer, seek the best consultations and know that there is almost always a 2nd choice if you don't like the first one.  That I went through it; that a Dr. told me he was going to operate and told him "not so fast, Chauncy".  Consider how you want to live.  How are you needed?  Don't panic, it's been there a long time and a few more months won't make a bit of difference--unless you carrying around a golf ball in you head.

So, again I wish to thank all who have extended their best wishes to me, and those responsible for this site for providing the quick access to the information I was looking for in my search for answers.  On this Memorial Day I also want to thank all of you who have served our country and or have lost someone in the service of our country. 

Thank you, again.

Dan

Windsong

« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2007, 03:52:39 pm »
Ah Dan,

I think there are a few of us here who "knew" we had a tumour (An) but, truly, it isn't until we have it confirmed that the fact sinks in... and in my case I was relieved (along with the shock of having that confirmation  and besides now I could actually "do" something about it) .....

Like you, my first news about what to do about it was surgery and  a :  "which doc do you want to see pls."  asked the neurologist who found it.......i find it interesting and gratifying that, in between hearing about the An from my gp (a Friday) and the day i had my followup re the now-old-news about the An on the Monday with the neurologist, I had that whole weekend to burn up my line and search the net. So when i sat down to hear what  the neuro had to say, I had already read tons of stuff about Ans and choices. When i asked the neuro about radiation he said that wasn't available to us. (he didn't do that op but would send me to one that did... But when I saw the neurotologist in a couple of days (who does An surgery), he said i could have fsr or GK too and promptly sent me to the people who did those. I had all options offered. I ended up doing fsr 25 and now it's heading to two years since i got the diagnosis and I am a year and a half post rads. Mine was also about 2 cm. It's stable. I would choose the same thing now.

I'm glad to hear you have this option.

We all spent our first weeks reading and tapping into sites where we could get as much information as we could  if we had the net(unless of course we had no choice in the matter) so it's "normal" to be absorbed in all that. Don't forget to relax and have some fun too as you continue with your decision making process!  :)

all the best,
W.

Obita

« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2007, 07:06:34 pm »
Good luck tomorrow Dan.  If you like this doctor, and like what he/she has to say, you will feel a huge weight lifted off of your shoulders. 

Please don't feel bad about not giving anyone well wishes on here.  You are still in the decision making process so that should be the least of your worries.  We have all been there. After your treatment, my guess is you will be the first to welcome the newbies and offer your shoulder and advice.

Take care, Kathy
Kathy - Age 54
2.5 cm translab May '04
University of Minnesota - Minneapolis
Dr. Sam Levine - Dr. Stephen Haines

f706

« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2007, 07:47:02 pm »
Hi All:

Well, today was interesting.  To start off with my wife's lupus flaired over the weekend so the first order of the day was to get her to her Dr. and get that under controll.  Then I went and met with my boss and we had a great meeting where I was rewarded with a raise and an invitation to help him plan for expansion and so forth.  After which he took me to lunch at my favorite mexican food resturant.  Then it was home to pick up my bride of 34 years and off the the radio surgeon.  A delightful man.  Kind of reminds me of what Uncle Fester must have been like as a younger more human individual.  This fellow used to do micro surgery and then got interested in the radio surgery/therapy and has done about 500 of them.  He gave us the pro's and con's of each type of proceedure; micro, CK, GK, FSR, wait & see.  Obviously, if you've read this thread, I have ruled out the micro and have already done the "wait and see".  His feelings for the FSR or Single dose are mixed.  He felt that the single dose would be the least disruptive of my life and that any side effects such as numbness, tingling, headaches etc are as likely in one as the other.  As to the AN becoming a cancer:  He said he was at a conference last summer where this was discussed and that there were reported 6 cancers from hundreds of thousands of irradiated patients.  Only 2 of the six were shown to come from the AN.  I think I'm leaning towards the single dose.  He also said that in europe the radio surgery/therapy is the standard treatment, and that open surgery is only done if the presence of the tumor is a danger to other structures.  I asked him why anyone would want someone wandering around inside of their head with a brace and bit and a butter knife when radiation is available.  His response was that sometimes the size and location dictate removal and other times the patient just wants the thing gone.  I just want mine dead and I don't want to spend weeks learning to walk, talk, swallow and blink.  I did not see a rack of white canes to be given out to patients of radio surgery so I felt that he knew how to hit what he was aiming at. He agreed that he did, and promised me that he hasn't blinded anyone yet while aiming at the ear... He gave me his cell number and asked me to call with any questions.  He would set up an appointment with his co-raygun Dr. if I wanted to get more detail.  He suggested I take a day after to rest up and let the swelling from the Halo subside before going back to work.  He made my wife feel good.  My wife doesn't like Dr.'s--She was a medical technologist in a major hospital blood bank until she became ill and knows too many primadonna's.  She liked this guy.  How can you not like a Dr. named Larry?  I believe I've made up my mind, now I just have to get up enough courage to "pull the trigger" and take the step that will, in his words, "give me a 50/50 chance of keeping what hearing I have in that ear".  There is something kind of final about taking a step that will likely change the rest of your life, irrevocably.  Gulp. :-\