Author Topic: New thread by Dan/f706 and responses (moved from WTT thread)  (Read 17206 times)

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
New thread by Dan/f706 and responses (moved from WTT thread)
« on: April 18, 2007, 09:48:26 pm »
Dan, I hope you don't mind, but this is a more appropriate spot and more apt to get noticed and responded.  I've moved it so others can see easier and more apt to respond to your opening post.  Thanks. Phyl

===========================================================

f706

Re: ANA WTT (Willing-to-Talk) List available to newbies
« Reply #10 on: Today at 11:02:46 PM »      

I earned my Audiology Degree in 1977.  I practiced for 10 years.  The year before I left audiology for a different profession I experienced a sudden muting of hearing in my left ear at Thanksgiving dinner.  The next week I went to visit an associate who did the standard hearing tests and ABR.  He found nothing remarkable.  My hearing seemed to be unmuted by then.  11 years later I had a simple air-line hearing test and found the hearing in my left ear had degraded to a "mild loss".  In 2000 I awoke one morning with tinnitus and noticable loss in my left ear.  I had it tested and did nothing.  This has happened three more times since.  Finally, two weeks ago, I went to the ENT fully expecting the AN diagnosis.  Yesterday he confirmed it.  One of my peers in graduate school is now heading up the audiology dept at the Mayo Clinic in Minn.  My graduate committee chariman is the head of audiology at the Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale.  I mention all this because I am likely one of the most foolish people on this site.  My feeling at this point is that I will do almost anything to avoid surgery.  My wife is disabled and I am the only family she has for over 900 miles.  I'm in sales.  I drive daily. I'm a primary care giver.  I simply cannot be ill or be "off my game".  I would rather stop/slow down the growth of this thing and give myself another 20 years and then let it take me if it is going to, because by then I will likely be a widower and alone.  Those are the cold, hard facts of my situation. I don't care to have it out if it will just stop growing.   I pick up my MRI tomorrow and you can believe I'll be studying it for size etc.  At one time I was pretty good at reading cranial x-rays, although I've never seen an MRI.  Here are my concerns:  getting insurance to pay for treatment not available within their "coverage" area, dealing with surgons who may have their own agenda and biases, and, of course, finding who is excellent and where they are.  As this thing has been making itself know to me for about 20 years now there seems to be some level of urgency from my ENT.  He is talking about getting this done in June.  I don't know if I can get enough consults in by then.  But, I ramble (is that a symptom?).  By the way.  All my life I've been an emotionally "tough" individual.  No tears through the death and burial of beloved sister, parents, in-laws and friends.  Now I cry at patriotic songs and memories of my kids playing the piano or baseball.  Anyone have anything like that or am I just getting old?  Sorry for the length of this post.

Dan in Murray Utah

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

macintosh

Re: ANA WTT (Willing-to-Talk) List available to newbies
« Reply #11 on: Today at 11:23:24 PM »      

Let me just hit a few points--When I first heard I had an AN last November, I was bowled over emotionally, and I (like you) am supposed to be the tough one in the family. I did research, had radiosurgery in January, and went back to work the next day. I was lucky enough to have a small AN, so radiosurgery was an easy choice. I've had no change in my life so far--a little tinnitus, I ask people to repeat things sometimes--bottom line, I'm about 99% of normal.

You'll know exactly what you're dealing with when you see the MRI. You can sort out the details then. But this board is full of people who were just as scared as you are at this point, and we're living normal lives now.

Mac
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

f706

Re: New thread by Dan/f706 and responses (moved from WTT thread)
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 10:53:15 pm »

Mac and Phyl:

Phyl:
Thanks for moving me to the correct place.  I tried to find the right place to post and was unsuccesful.

Mac:
Thanks for the kind words.  My fears are not so much for me, but for the possibility I may not be able to continue to care for my wife, as there is no one else to do it.  I'm likely to push for the radiosurgery due to the chance for fewer side effects and little/no recovery time.  I simply cannot be out of commission.

Dan

Dealy

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 07:01:26 am »
Dan:Sounds typical too alot of us on this on this forum.I am on my 2nd go around with a tumor. Had one in 1988-Surgically removed on left ear-now have one on right that I had radiated last summer but lost alot of hearing. I am like you-the tough guy. Not no more. Very emotional now. Do not know why these things do that too a person, but they can Some here have done great with both surgery or radiation but do not expect an immediate cure on either form. My first surgery in 1988 took me 1 year too feel like myself again. This 2nd one with radiation-I am 9 months out-coming up on 10. I work an 8 hour job but their are still days this is too much and I am in bed by 7PM. It sounds too me like you may be trying too overload yourself by working and being a caregiver. Believe me-any choice you make-whether surgery or radiation you will not be able too keep up that pace very long. Remember this is a major infraction (lack of better word) too your brain and it needs time to heal. I hope you find out the size-then you can make a decision of treatment.If you stay on this sight and forum-people can assist you in experiences what you can exoect.No doctor can give you all their is too know about reprecussions you may face from treatment. I wish you the best. Sometimes you just have too face the cold hard facts-we all do and make some form of decision-but base this on input not for conveince only. Per-se going too a doctor who has no experience with these through radiation or surgery. You could end up paying for this the rest of your life. Good wishes. Ron

f706

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 08:51:05 am »
Dealy:

Thank you for the kind words.  I guess what I am trying to say is that I don't really care for the tumor to be removed or even completly killed.  I just need time.  I do not expect my wife to live another 20 years.  My family is located on the east and west coasts, all are either in school or their spouses are in school and will be for at least the next three years.  My wife cannot drive, cannot get herself around very well let alone help me and I outweigh her by 150 lbs.  She cannot remember how to pay the bills etc.  I only need to outlive her, and to be able to take care of things.  If she knew just how serious this is it could send her into a flare that could institutionalize her.  I do not want either her or myself to end up warehoused in a medicaid facility.  I read/heard that recovery, under ideal circumstances, can be one day/hour of surgery.  This kind of stress could cost her one week of life/hour of recovery.  I cannot ask my children to abandon doctorial and undergrad programs at Ivy League universities and Law School to come home and change my diapers or make my wife dinner for one month, six months or the rest of our lives.  No, if recovery is like some I've read here, death is preferred because then my assets could be sold and my wife could move to an area where the children could manage and care  for her.

I'm fully aware that my life is to be forever changed, I just need to be healthy enough to continue my responsibilities.  I'm not "taking on too much", I'm doing what has to be done because there is no one else to do it.

Thanks again,

Dan

Dealy

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 09:17:04 am »
Dan:Sounds like you are in one heck of a situation.I do not envy you. I am sure you have read other posts on this site concerning recovery time-whether surgery or radiation. With surgery the main consideration is the anthesia they use too put you under. In 1988 I had a 1.5CM and I was under for 8 hours. Depends on how sticky the tumor is etc. With radiation-you feel fine during treatment but then sooner or later the fatigue factor will hit you.Some on this site are wait and watch but that depends on the size of your tumor. If it is too big and you allow it to grow-it can do alot more damage then you realize-so size and location is a major consideration of treatment.I hope that you will be able to resolve this in a expedient manner but it also is a major and serious condition you are facing. Take care and God Bless. Keep us posted with your progress and what you find out about the tumor. Thanks-Ron

f706

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 02:26:20 pm »
Ron:

Thanks for the encouragement.  It is something I must face nearly alone.  Alone would be easier than with a completely dependent spouse and unavailable children.  My wife's only living relatives are me and the kids.  We just didn't need this.  I pick up my MRI this afternoon so I'll be able to get a better sense of what I'm facing.  Then I'm waiting for the Head of Neuro otology at the University of Utah to call and schedule an appointment.  I will be forwarding a copy of the MRI to my friend at Mayo Clinic and so forth.  I've much to do, including pursuading my brothers and sister to finally allow me to sell my interest in some property and revising my estate planning documents.  Lots of fun.  I've been reading Don's saga and something like that would absolutely destroy my wife.  The next battle will be with the insurance co.  I've already been approved at the U of U and what ever they have in mind, but if I get the nod from another place for radiosurgery, I'm afraid that must be the answer.

Nuff rambling, back to work.

Dan

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 04:31:02 pm »
Hi, Dan:

Man, you're in a tough situation.  You're also a brave guy. 

As you probably know, if your AN tumor is smaller than 3 cm, you're a candidate for radiation treatment, which, while certainly easier than microsurgery, carries its own risks, including possible nerve damage.  If your tumor is a viable candidate for radiation, I would suggest looking into FSR (Fractionated Stereotactic Radiosurgery) which is done in protracted, low-dose treatments and carries less risk as well as being, like the traditional radiation protocols, relatively quick and painless.

As my signature shows, I had both surgery and FSR last year.  I'm pleased to report that I'm doing splendidly, today.  If you met me, you would never guess that - 11 months ago - I had a fairly large AN tumor beginning to press on my brainstem, suffered from severe disequilibrium, fatigue, loss of appetite (I lost over 30 pounds before having the AN removed) and was unnaturally lethargic.  The surgery was performed to reduce the size of the tumor and allow it to be radiated.  My neurosurgeon and the radiation oncologist who collaborated on my treatment plan gave me a four -month 'break' between the surgery (which was uneventful - 4½ days hospitalization) and the radiation.  The FSR treatments were spread out over 5 weeks, 5 days per week (Monday through Friday) and lasted about 20 minutes each.  I suffered no pain or discomfort while undergoing the FSR treatments.  My radiation oncologist told me that another AN patient receiving similar treatments in the same cancer center dropped by after work, had his treatment and went home to dinner each night, just a bit later than usual.  He kept up his regular work schedule all during the time he was being treated.  I'm retired but could easily have continued to work while undergoing the FSR treatments.  An MRI scan that was taken two months following my FSR treatments showed the beginning of tumor necrosis. 

I'm sorry that your circumstances make the demands you describe.  I can't imagine that kind of stress.  I hope your AN is small enough to be treated with radiation and that whatever option you eventually chose will be successful. 

Of course, should an MRI show your AN tumor to be too large for radiation, surgery will be your only realistic option.  Few doctors will attempt to radiate a tumor much larger than 3 cm.  Remember, not all AN surgery carries disastrous consequences so don't allow the 'horror stories', while unfortunately true, to keep you from doing what needs to be done.  My surgery was almost 9 hours long and I came out of it basically 'intact', although tired and a bit nauseous from the anesthesia and hospital meds I received.  I was driving in two weeks and resumed my normal activities within a month.  I'm not that much of an exception.  Having a throughly experienced neurosurgeon - my surgeon had 30 years experience removing acoustic neuroma tumors - is the key to a successful surgery.  Prayer doesn't hurt, either

Wishing you all the best as you deal with this medical crisis.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

flier58

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 05:05:26 pm »
Dear Dan,
Your wife is a very lucky woman to have such a wonderful, caring partner.  I can somewhat relate to your situation of being sole (or in my case primary) caretaker.  I have a young child (4yo) and neither I or his father have a family that could be of help if I was to spend several weeks recovering from surgery.  I went with CK for my 2cm AN at the age of 47 in Nov. 2006.  I wanted to be there for my son at least until he can take care of most basic stuff by himself (bathe, dress, fix basic sandwich etc. )  It was one of main reasons (beside not wanting anyone "dig"  in my skull unless absolutely necessary) why I went radiosurgery way. 
I had a bout of fatigue after my CK but it was very manageable, did not stop me from attending to my son.  I took few days off work as I have rather stressfull job.  Almost 6 mos post CK, I am doing fine, waiting for my 1st MRI.
  If all I did was just "buying time" it was absolutely well worth it to me.  I thank God every day that I can see my little guy growing, getting more and more selfsufficient.  If I will be here next 10, 15 or 20 years for him - thatis all I need. 
Radiosurgery has an excellent track record, granted it's not for everyone - some cannot stand the thought of having a tumour in their skull, some don't believe in radiosurgery-and thats fine.  But it definitely is an option to consider.
You and your wife are in my heart in this difficult time.  I hope you will arrive very soon to some decision and find help and assistance.
Flier58

f706

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 05:54:40 pm »
Dear Jim and Flier:

thank you for your words of encouragement and sharing your experiences with me.  I picked up my MRI this afternoon and had a look.  I'm guessing it is bumping up against 3cm or more and invading the Brain Stem space.  I still haven't heard from the Doc's office for the initial consult.  I'm a bit antsy about that.  My wife finally asked a few questions today about hospital time and etc.  I told her about the radiosurgery option and she asked why I'd consider that instead of getting it out.  I told her I didn't really fell like spending a week in the hospital.  She is thinking this is a relatively certain proceedure because that is what our ENT told us.  The ENT even suggested an improvement in my hearing.  As a former audiologist that practiced prior to the advent of MRI, I knew that AN, in my day, was almost a death sentence.  As soon as I know just what I'm dealing with then I need a few months to get my affairs in order, in case the worst happens.  My purpose in not laying it all out for my wife is because of her propensity to worry about every little thing.  This would send her over the edge just waiting to find out what the Doc says in the initial consult.  Well, off to do the grocery shopping and then make dinner. 

Ta Ta all,

Dan

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2007, 11:55:23 am »
Dan: 

To the best of my admittedly layman's knowledge, the mortality rate for AN removal surgery today is practically infinitesimal - less than 1%.  I believe that if the tumor is pressing on the brain stem, surgery is the only realistic option in most cases.  If it is not removed, severe symptoms can result that will make normal life impossible.  Eventually, if the tumor compresses the brain stem past a certain point, it will first disable, then kill you.  That is the reality of acoustic neuroma tumors.

I'm glad to offer whatever I can to you.  I advise you to do all the research possible before making a final decision.  This website and others have much useful information available.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Boppie

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2007, 12:07:46 pm »
Dan, I respect your fortitude. Crying about memories and wonderful emotional times with your children are part of aging and eventual mortality.  Life is wonderful!  We have a lot to learn from your example.  If you don't mind my saying, God is with you. 

Yvette

• Yvette
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2007, 01:35:40 pm »
Hi Dan, I'm a newbie here in the forum. I am 3 months post op from the removal of a 3mm tumor in the exact location as yours is. The translabrinth procedure was performed on me by Dr.s Link and Driscoll at the Mayo clinic in Minnesota. Since the tumor was pressing on the brain stem, I was beginning to lose the use of my right hand/arm, and dizzyness was beginning to have an effect on my driving ability. I don't think you can buy 20 more years time with a tumor that size. Please take care of yourself:-) I was told that if I hadn't had the tumor removed, it could soon begin to interfere with my ability to swallow. The recovery for me went pretty good: a week of terrible fatigue, a couple weeks of simply needing an afternoon nap, and now after 3 months, any residual effects are more of an occasional annoyance than something that interferes with how I live. If you want more details, just ask. Note: your insurance may pay for someone to help you after you go home, due to your circumstances. If not, and you truly want to be brave-ask the local church to provide assitance! I wish you the best, Yvette
3cm translab Jan. 2007 performed at Mayo Clinic MN. by Drs. Link and Driscoll. SSD but doing great!

flier58

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2007, 01:56:05 pm »
Hi Dan,
Just read your new post.  if your AN is around 3cm and pressing on the stem, you are better of with surgery according to all that I have read.  Most of the people have a good or excel;lent recovery even if it takes time.  You owe it to yourself and your wife to look for the best options.  Both of you are in my prayers.
Flier58

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2007, 02:12:52 pm »
Hi Yvette,

Glad to see you are hanging in there. I'm a little confused and hope you can clarify.

Typically, 3mm AN is very very very very small... barely a blip on an MRI... and you note your's was pressing on the brainstem, so was curious if that was accidental typo (to be 3cm instead of 3mm).  Can you please reconfirm?  Most 3mm AN's are typically non-symptomatic (I use the word "typically" as they usually do not cause major issues, but that is just the general rule and does not apply to all).  Just want to make sure we are all on the same page.

Thanks! :)
Phyl

Hi Dan, I'm a newbie here in the forum. I am 3 months post op from the removal of a 3mm tumor in the exact location as yours is. The translabrinth procedure was performed on me by Dr.s Link and Driscoll at the Mayo clinic in Minnesota. Since the tumor was pressing on the brain stem, I was beginning to lose the use of my right hand/arm, and dizzyness was beginning to have an effect on my driving ability. I don't think you can buy 20 more years time with a tumor that size. Please take care of yourself:-) I was told that if I hadn't had the tumor removed, it could soon begin to interfere with my ability to swallow. The recovery for me went pretty good: a week of terrible fatigue, a couple weeks of simply needing an afternoon nap, and now after 3 months, any residual effects are more of an occasional annoyance than something that interferes with how I live. If you want more details, just ask. Note: your insurance may pay for someone to help you after you go home, due to your circumstances. If not, and you truly want to be brave-ask the local church to provide assitance! I wish you the best, Yvette
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2007, 02:18:22 pm »
Dan,

I just read all the posts.. and I commend you on your strength, resolve and courage.  As you know, you are doing everything right.  I know waiting on the MRI results is so filled with anxiety and "just tell me what the heck it is" attitude.  Just hang in there until then... and know we are all here for you.  As you are already reviewing your options and locations, I'm in the wings as you learn more.  I'm a CK graduate from a year ago, doing great, no down time (which I know you cannot do, based on your love and care for your wife).

Sending wishes of strength to you.
Phyl