Author Topic: New thread by Dan/f706 and responses (moved from WTT thread)  (Read 17202 times)

f706

Re: New thread by Dan/f706 and responses (moved from WTT thread)
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2007, 10:44:25 pm »
Jim, Boppie, Yvette Flier and Phyl:

Thank you all for your words of encouragement.  I spent a bit of time last evening with my MRI and a caliper and near as I can guage the little beastie is about 2cm.  Looks like a nice plump grape.  The only symptoms I have are tinnitus and moderate to severe high frequency hearing loss.  I've no vertigo, nausea, headaches or muscle weakness.  My sense of humor is still intact, but I must admit to a desire to talk to someone.  You know, to "unburden".  I cannot let my wife see any fear or uncertainty or she will fall apart.  Especially since my initial consult with the otoneurologist isn't for a month.  I can't say anything to anyone at work as I have only been on the job for about 5 months.  I'm in a new position and have tremendous responsibilities and opportunities to really make a difference in the company because of what I bring to the party and the newness of the division.  It is a great company, one of the "top five" to work for in Utah.  I do not anticipate any kind of difficulty from them when I'm actually to receive treatment, but as I still have about 2 months before anything is done, I think it best to wait.  My oldest son called from San Fran tonight and he has obviously been doing his own research and has decided that I'm to have radio surgery.  I could tell from his voice that he is worried.  He knows what it is like to face a life changing surgery.  He was one of the country's most highly recruited high school baseball players.  He took a scholarship to Stanford and during the first week of practice he had a knee injury.  The Dr. told me he would never play baseball again.  After three surgeries and months of incredibly dedicated rehab my son played baseball.  With only 12 appearances at the plate the Seattle Mariner's drafted him in the middle rounds.  He declined  them in order finish his degree, even though his life long dream was to play in the pro's--he would go into the draft when his college was done.  He ruptured a disc in his back during his senior year.  His beloved baseball was gone forever.  I drove from Salt Lake to Stanford 11 times in 5 months to take care of him while he underwent his surgeries.  I take inspiration from my son.  He is entering law school this fall and I will not let him lose that to take care of me, although he would if it came down to that.  Again I ramble.  But, I have no one to open up to, so, this forum is it.  I hope I do not become a bore.  After this is over, I'll likely be one of you, lending encouragement and support to those coming along.

Thanks again kids,

Dan S.

Boppie

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2007, 12:37:46 am »
Dear Dan 2 cm, you are in the luck for radiotherapy.  Keep an eye on the growth factor and stay under the 3 cm mark.  I had 2 cm and no symptoms before treatment, other than significant db losses. 

At age 64 I had 9 hours of surgery and about 9 months before I felt tip top shape.  You are wise to seek a non surgical route, in light of the responsibilities you have at home and on the job. Since your hearing loss is not serious , you might be able to keep some of that.  The tinnitus won't leave you no matter what.  I believe that some hearing is better than none at all if you manage to keep it and get rid of the bulk of the tumor.  Keep us posted.

My own adult children were very concerned for me but as they have witnessed, I came through extremely well and able.  Tumors are just scarey. 
« Last Edit: April 21, 2007, 12:46:02 am by Boppie »

flier58

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2007, 05:30:21 am »
Hi Dan,
I'm glad you've found this forum.  It's a very good place to ramble, vent, cry and surprisingly laugh.  We've all been thru all the anxiety of getting dx, choosing the tratment, doctors, hospitals and we try to support newbes just like we have gotten the support in the beginning.   I know that this site helped me tremendeusly because familiesis can be worried and concerned  but have a difficult time truly appreciate the anguish we are going thru.  Well-my mantra-do your research, make a decision, and know that you did your best whatever route you choose.  We'll be here cheering you and your family.
Hugs to you and your wife,
Flier58   

Featofclay

• February, 2011
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2007, 10:37:19 am »
Hi Dan,
Your plate is indeed full and my prayers are with you and your family.  I can relate to so much of what you have written since I have a daughter who is recovering from non-hodkgins lymphoma and her husband decided he just couldn't take it anymore and walked out.  Right in the middle of trying to be there for her, I found out I had an acoustic neuroma and I thought it was a death sentence.  It was not long until I realized, with a lot of help from all of the wonderful people on this board, that I was not going to die and that my life would go on. 

Keep posting and do all the venting you want here...I can't imagine how hard it is for you not being able to talk freely about all of this.  Don't feel like you are rambling...we all do that!  Sending you a BIG hug. 
Jean 

Diagnosed 12/19/06; 1.7 cm x .8 cm right side
Retrosigmoid 2/16/07 @ House Ear Institute
Dr. Rick Friedman, Dr. Marc Schwartz & Dr. Michael Stefan
Excellent results

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2007, 04:26:42 pm »
Hi, Dan:

Glad to learn that your AN, at 2 cm, is still small enough to be treatable by stereotactic radiosurgery.  That will make the logistics of your future treatment much easier, although you'll still need to have some pre-op tests.  Traditional radiation - be it 'Gamma Knife' or 'Cyber Knife' - is usually a one-day deal, allowing you to miss very little work and be home with your wife in no time. I realize now that, with your manifold responsibilities, FSR would be somewhat impractical for you, although I retain the conviction that its quite possible to complete as an after-work-type treatment over a few weeks.  FSR also has the advantage of having a better chance to avoid facial nerve damage and gives your body overnight to recover from the radiation dose you receive.  However, the traditional radiation treatments are also pretty safe these days.  If I had the option (I didn't, my AN was too large when discovered) I would have went the Gamma Knife/Cyber Knife route simply to avoid surgery and it's possible complications. 

I think we can all understand your disinclination right now to discuss your condition at work or with your wife, considering her fragile state.  That obviously makes the 'journey' (and it is, that) more difficult and why I think of you as courageous in the face of adversity.  My wife was with me every step of the way as I endured numerous doctor visits, tests and finally, hospitalization and surgery, followed a few months later by 5 weeks of FSR treatments, as well my initial physical recuperation, which went at a fairly brisk pace, as I previously explained.  I was blessed in that regard and  I wish every AN patient could have the same kind of support.  However, your adult son seems to 'on the case' and you certainly have the empathetic folks on this forum to turn to, whenever necessary.  I often comment to 'newbies' that being diagnosed with an acoustic neuroma tumor is a 'minefield'.  While the tumors are basically the same, except for size, it seems as if each patient has a different experience.  Those experiences are usually somewhat life-changing for most folks, even with a good outcome, meaning no facial paralysis or other complications following treatment, be it radiation or surgery (or both).  Many AN patients have mental and/or emotional issues arising from this medical crisis, including depression, as it often changes your lifestyle to some degree.  I came through my 'AN experience' basically unscathed but I now appreciate my wife and my (otherwise) good health much more than before I was affected by the tumor.  I've also given up heavy lifting. 

Your account of your son and his roller coaster ride as an obviously outstanding college athlete who came back from a serious injury (with your help) and then, a potential sports professional who chose a law school education, instead, is fascinating as well as poignant.  I can see why he is an inspiration to you.  Rightfully so.  Your determination not to allow your AN treatment to interfere with his chosen career path is the right attitude to have and one that I would share.  My son, a very responsible young man who worked 3 jobs to help put himself through college and has never been a problem to us, was 26 and preparing to (finally) move out of our home and get his own place, one of the major steps on the road of adult life that he needed to accomplish.  He immediately postponed doing so when it became clear that I had a serious medical condition that required surgery and a possibly long recuperation period.  I really appreciated his concern and willingness to alter his plans, although I suspect he wasn't all that sorry about not moving out last year, but I choose to give him the benefit of the doubt on that one.  He now plans to move out this autumn.  I think he's serious.

As you know by now,  although radiation is easier to undergo than surgery, it's not a panacea.  Facial nerves can still be affected and some radiation patients lose some hearing, etc. That reality having been noted, I think it's probably your best option, considering your family and work responsibilities at this time.  The fact that you have few symptoms now is a very positive factor for you. 

I wish you well as you prepare for your consultations and ponder your options relating to doctors, facility and type of radiation you will have.

Jim
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

f706

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2007, 06:07:06 pm »
Jim:

Thank you again for your kind encouragement.  i received a packet today from my ENT with his notes as well as the radiologist's report.  My parasite is about 1.5cm X 1.1 cm in the Cerebral-pontine area, extending through the internal auditory canal to the Cochlea.  There is some other info on the lack of involvement of the superrior vestibular nerve etc., but the thrill to me was the size. 

I believe that FSR is available in my area and that, to me, makes the most sense given my situation.  I had a long conversation with my boss today, not about this--he doesn't know yet.  He wanted me to provide input into the direction and expansion of our department.  I really need to be "on my game" for these next few years.  Right now I am the only person doing my job and we are considering bringing as many as 7 more "of me" on.  Guess who gets to be the leader?

Well, got to go to the store now.

Thanks again,

Dan

Ellenmn

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2007, 06:17:32 am »
Dan
Glad to hear that the AN is treatable with Radiation. I found recovery time and side effects for me were very minimal. I had the single dose not the FSR.

Ellen

f706

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2007, 10:55:37 pm »
Hi all...

I finally had my consultation with the neuro-otologist this afternoon.  It lasted about 10- minutes.  He handed me a pamphlet, crossed off all options except for translabrinthine surgery and told me my ear was not useful so there was no point trying to save it.  I told him to check the audiogram again and when he did he apologized for mis-reading it, but that he stood by his decision to do the TL surgery.  I then told him of my situation with my wife and work and he tried to tell me that the risks of developing a cancer from the GK was greater than any risk of surgery.  But, if I didn't want surgery then he would refer me to a "radiosurgon".  Now for the fun part.  My insurance company considers GK to be experimental and isn't likely to cover it.  However it will pay for CK for malignancies.  My next task will be to get them to make an exception, which they will consider.  So, I've got to "price" the two proceedures and hospital costs and recovery time etc.  Anyone already done this kind of research?  Anyway, upon returning home my wife read the literature (very biased) that the doc sent home with me and it really upset her (understatement of the year).  Why is nothing ever easy?

Well, that's about it for now.  I'll keep you posted when there is something to post.

Dan

macintosh

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2007, 11:33:05 pm »
Dan--

Good thing you have enough sense not to be bullied. I had a similar situation, and luckily the ombudsperson at my HMO was very willing to listen to my point of view and overrule the ENT who tried to send me for surgery for a 7mm AN. I had radiosurgery in January, went back to work the next day, and have had no side effects so far.

I don't know the exact figures, but GK or CK is much cheaper than open resection (TL or any other) surgery.

The supposed "risks of developing a malignancy from radiosurgery" story is a myth propounded by surgeons who are either ignorant or greedy. Two good places to go to get information that could help with your insurance company are the University of Pittsburgh GK site <www.acousticneuroma.neurosurgery.pitt.edu> and pubmed.gov, where you can use the search string <acoustic neuroma radiosurgery> to get useful material.

I'm going to enclose several excerpts here from these sources. One is from an article in the Nov. 2006 Journal of Neurosurgery by Dr. William Friedman at the University of Florida (he was my radiosurgeon), and a longer one from the University of Pittsburgh neurosurgery site.

From Dr. Friedman:
The issue of malignant tumorigenesis recently has been the subject of much discussion. It probably exists but at a frequency much lower than the risk of a serious complication from open surgery.

From the University of Pittsburgh:
 Patients inquire about the risk of delayed malignant transformation. Malignant schwannomas are rare, but have been reported de novo, after prior resection (34), and after irradiation. We answer that this is always a risk after irradiation, but that the risk should be very low. We have not seen this yet in any of our 5,400 patients during our first 15 years experience with radiosurgery, but quote the patients a risk between 1:1000 and 1: 20,000. We reported one patient with a malignant mesenchymal tumor of the cerebellopontine angle that resembled an acoustic tumor (36). One report from Japan found a malignant tumor four years after resection, and six months following radiosurgery. The time interval after irradiation was too short to be causative (34). A second report noted the development of a temporal lobe glioblastoma 7.5 years after radiosurgery for a nearby acoustic neuroma. The temporal lobe had received a low radiation dose (35). In contrast, we have a patient who had initial management of a frontal lobe astrocytoma, and years later developed an acoustic neuroma. Was the development of these tumors related in some oncogenetic way, or were they radiation related? We believe the risk of developing a tumor years after radiosurgery is much less than the risk of mortality immediately after a resection, and likely less than the risk of the patient developing another tumor on their own in another body location.

Keep fighting.

Mac

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2007, 08:03:08 am »
Mac, great post.. thank you.

Ah, the old cancer scare tactic.... at this point, after all of my time dealing with the medical community for all of my medical whoas.... one day soon, my hope is that physicians will be more open minded to learn the facts before they attempt the scare tactic... it just boggles my boogered brain.

The number of cases of malignancy from radio-surgery can be counted on one hand.... and I have more of a chance of getting cancer (heck, I already have it but work with me here, folks...) from 2nd hand smoke.  More chance of getting hit by lightening... more chance of getting hit by a MAC truck.

Sometimes in life, you just gotta take risks... and if the pros truly do outweigh the potential cons...then it may be worth the risk.  Otherwise, in life, I'll be the first human ostrich to bury my head in the sand.  For me, I just refuse to live my life that way.

Sorry... I had coffee this am....  just my thought.....
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

f706

« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2007, 08:10:10 am »
Mac and Phyl:

Mac:
Thanks so much for your response and the information.  While this is still very early in the process I'm the kind of guy that wants to make sure that I do not need to backtrack due to an error in proceedure or presentation.  Unitl I meet with the radio surgeon I will not have "his biases".  I believe that if cornered into TL surgery I don't want to go the the guy I met with yesterday.  That precipatates another battle; getting the insurance company to allow me to go to a location with vast experience.  Anyone have any experience with linear accelerators?  If I get approved that is what we have here.

Phyl:
Easy on the coffee!  My impression from talking with this guy yesterday was that as soon as he heard that I had read a bit and wanted the radio surgery he wanted nothing more to do with me.  He did ask me I would allow him to follow me.  I don't think that is an unreasonable request, but I know now that if he ever mentions surgery again I'll be getting a second opinion.

thanks to all.

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2007, 08:13:35 am »
Phyl:
Easy on the coffee!  My impression from talking with this guy yesterday was that as soon as he heard that I had read a bit and wanted the radio surgery he wanted nothing more to do with me.  He did ask me I would allow him to follow me.  I don't think that is an unreasonable request, but I know now that if he ever mentions surgery again I'll be getting a second opinion.

I had a microsurgeon do that to me... he copped such an attitude with me for choosing radio-surgery... oh, well.  His request to you is definately not unreasonable... but again, if surgeons were better versed, well then....

had my last cup of coffee until our office afternoon hazelnut fresh brew... will calm down in a few :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

linnilue

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2007, 08:20:51 am »
I honestly don't know whaat to say about your neurootologist, except to say that I'd be very cautious listening to him.  I had linac( first becasue it was available here and secondly because I din't know that GK or CK had better results, GK definitely ahs the best outcomes as released in a study last August) and I will give you the whole rundown later but I seriously have to digest the information that the doc gave to you because I am flabbergasted as I'm sure others that read this are and will be.  He is seriouly biased and I wonder why.  I don't think that you will have any trouble with your insurance company if you decide on linac.  I really need to think about this doctor and I will post later.  I am a nurse so I find this doubly disturbing.  Holly
Left AN dx. 11/05 Linac radiosurgery 01/06 Burlington, VT for a 9mm x 5mm tumor.  No necrosis yet (2 yrs. post-op).  Multiple post radiosurgery complications, some permanent.  Have radio-oncologist here.  Now see Dr. McKenna, Mass. Eye & Ear Instit., Boston for flollow-up care as my main An doctor.

ppearl214

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2007, 08:24:25 am »
...I had linac( first becasue it was available here and secondly because I din't know that GK or CK had better results, GK definitely ahs the best outcomes as released in a study last August)

Holly, fast question please... do you have a web link to the Aug 2006 study you are referencing that you can share?

thanks.
Phyl

linnilue

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2007, 08:27:33 am »
I will get my husband to find it again and will post it promptly..He is a researcher himself and loves this stuff, only he was too afraid to reaearch when I was diagnosed9 poor thing).
Left AN dx. 11/05 Linac radiosurgery 01/06 Burlington, VT for a 9mm x 5mm tumor.  No necrosis yet (2 yrs. post-op).  Multiple post radiosurgery complications, some permanent.  Have radio-oncologist here.  Now see Dr. McKenna, Mass. Eye & Ear Instit., Boston for flollow-up care as my main An doctor.