Author Topic: New thread by Dan/f706 and responses (moved from WTT thread)  (Read 17212 times)

f706

Re: New thread by Dan/f706 and responses (moved from WTT thread)
« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2007, 12:19:10 am »
Hi Gang:

thanks for all the comments.  I'd thought I'd give a report on the day as I went back to work today...5 days after.  My first appointment was at 7:15am.  By noon I'd had two more and made several phone calls.  The afternoon went about the same.  I knocked off about 4:30pm and came home.  At 5:30 my son (home from college for the summer) went to his summer league baseball game.  That ended about 9:30pm and on the way home we stopped at Arby's and got dinner ???.  I got home and watched the season opener of 'The Closer' with wifey.  I put her to bed and watched an hour of a kitchen remodeling show and here I am.  Yeah, I'm a bit tired, but I want to be exhausted tonight as last night I couldn't fall asleep until after 2am.  I don't have such an early morning tomorrow so I can still get about 6-7 hours tonight.  I feel  good.  No problems other than the top right half of my head is numb (i think from the halo screws, "super Novacaine" and swelling)--Hey, I'm officially a numbskull!!!  Seriously, the only thing I feel is the swelling and tenderness related to the halo.  I keep thinking what a wonderful thing this radio surgery/therapy is.  I visited the HR lady at work this morning to thank her for her help with the insurance company.  I walked into her office and asked, "Do I look like a guy that just had brain surgery?".  What more can I say? 

Well, onward and upward.  I will periodically report anything or nothing.  Thanks again all. And to those looking forward to your proceedures--fear not, know all your options and choose that which best suits you.  I know I don't have any 'final' outcome yet, but at least I've bought another year, and according to my Dr.'s--this dosage/proceedure is nearly foolproof and they insist they are not fools.

Good night all,

Dan

Ellenmn

« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2007, 06:22:27 am »
Glad to hear things are going well for you.

Betsy

« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2007, 08:49:11 pm »
Hi Dan, are you out there?  Just wondering how you're doing!
15mm left side AN, diagnosed 4/25/07, radiosurgery via Trilogy 8/22/07.  Necrosis & shrinkage to 12.8mm April 2009

f706

« Reply #63 on: December 23, 2007, 10:20:21 am »
Sorry to be absent for so long.  But nothing was happening to me and My wife took a turn for the worse I kind of forgot about myself.  I had my six-month evaluation.  I had my hearing tested and my speedh discrimination scores had gone from 90% to 0%.  my hearing levels had decreased to the 50-70 dB range.  The distortion was so very bad that I couldn't make out what I was hearing.  The results of the MRI showed about a 3mm increase in size but NECROSIS.  The doc's felt that the increase in size was either due to swelling or a silghtly different "slice" of the tumor.  They couldn't be sure because they were going off the MRI report from a different hospital and they couldn't open the file on the disk I brought them.  Next time I'll insist to my insurance company that I get the MRI at the same location as my Dr.  I noticed a tiny bit of unsteadiness in the past 3-4 weeks.  Nothing permanent, no spinning, just kind of a vague disorintation.  So, there is nothing else to report. 

thanks to all.  I vote for Radio Surgery whenever possible.

f706

« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2008, 02:36:48 am »
Hi all:

It has been one year since my Radio Surgery.  Time for a report.  My 1-year MRI showes "significant necrosis".  The doc's say my AN has actually shrunk since December.  I haven't had my hearing re-tested yet, but I'm not getting anything useful out of my Left ear.  I have noticed less energy, but that is likely a function of age and lifestyle.  Since my Radio Surgery the brand new MAJOR medical center about 3/4 of a mile from my home now has a Gamma Knife and a hospital across town has a Cyber Knife.  So now there are three major centers in my little town with all this technology.  Well, since I have no symptoms beyond hearing loss and some very minor unsteadiness in the dark, I have nothing to report.   Of course I should never be the final word on open surgery VS Radio Surgery, my experience has been absolutely marvelous.  I've missed one day of work due to the proceedure and I took another just to make sure all was well.  I had a few months where I'd get moments of minor vertigo, and lost ability to understand speech in my left ear.  But no other difficulties.  The thing is dying and my life has had very minor adjustments due to hearing loss.  I try to sit where no one is to my bad ear and I don't use a blue tooth device with my cell phone.  The first surgeon I saw wasn't even going to tell me about the radio surgery option, and after I brought it up he tried to talk me out of it, saying I was too young.  I interpreted that as meaning I was young and healthy enough to have a decent chance of surviving the surgery.  I hate to think how this past year may have been if I'd allowed him to open me up.  But, each circumstance is very different.  Something else to consider if you are newly diagnosed and you have the "wait and see" recommendation.  I first suspected this thing about 25 years ago.  If you've read this whole thread you may recall that I used to be an Audiologist.  I noticed the hearing loss in 1983 or 84.  That was pre MRI (at least in my town) and the literature from my college training was grim at best.  One of my associates ran the most advanced battery of tests available to us then and found no evidence of anything.  But I noticed the hearing steadily worsening, but so gradual that I just figured it was my genetics--with good cause.  But when I began noticing my hearing leaving me in "chunks" I began to worry.  But it still took me 6 years before it got to a point that I knew I needed to get it checked and that was about 15 months ago--MRI found my <2cm AN.  Thanks again for all who inquire and be of good cheer if you are awaiting treatment.

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2008, 08:35:12 am »
Thanks to you Dan for taking the time to pop in and update us. 

Necrosis is wonderful (see my signature) and the fact that after-effects from the radiation were relatively mild is very encouraging to others.  Although my surgery was absolutely necessary and had a good outcome, your account simply verifies that had the option been available, I would have chosen GK or CK. 

I was fortunate enough to find a very experienced, compassionate  neurosurgeon.  Last year, I referred a man who had read my account on this forum, lived in my state and wanted a 'local' doctor.  He e-mailed me and we discussed my case and my doctor, whom I greatly respect and admire.  When this fellow appeared for his appointment, my neurosurgeon looked at his MRI scan, told him he was a better candidate for radiation than surgery and walked with him down to the office of the radiation oncologist he works with (same building but not the same practice) and had him seen almost immediately.  He later chose a different doctor and facility but I thought my surgeon's willingness to make certain a potential patient received the correct treatment was impressive.  Now, I'm rambling. 

By the way, like you, I ignored my AN for years.  Unlike you, I didn't know what it was but I knew that something was going on when I developed unilateral hearing loss, which I explained away to avoid addressing the problem.  I consider myself blessed that I came through both surgery and radiation pretty well 'intact'.  Well, I have SSD, but that was inevitable. 

Thanks again for remembering this site and forum to relay your positive update.  Many (with good outcomes) don't bother.  It speaks well to your sincerity that you did, and it's appreciated.  :)

Jim

4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2008, 10:14:23 am »
Dan -

thanks for taking the time to update us.  I'm glad to hear that things are going well for you.

As you say, each circumstance is different, but it definitely sounds like you are very happy with your choice of radiation and your positive outcome.

Jan

Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

f706

« Reply #67 on: June 15, 2008, 01:26:36 am »
Jim and Jan:

I see my bookmark for this site each time I log on.  I've had nothing to report until my 1-year follow up, so I haven't dropped in.  I know that I received a lot of support when I was first dealing with the AN and I hope I can provide some support to others, but being a busy as I am I really don't haunt the net so much.  I usually just check my mail and my kids' blogs and do my shopping, housework or building my boats.  Perhaps when I retire I'll be better able to haunt the site.  Having been treated so wonderfully here and all, it would be quite shallow of me to never come back and offer my perspective, support and prayers to those who are new and feeling a bit "upside down".

Thanks again for your kind words through my experience.

Dan

Betsy

« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2008, 07:45:44 am »
Dan, it's so good to hear from you.  I'm glad your treatment has been so effective.  "Significant Necrosis" is indeed something to celebrate!  I've thought of you often over the last year and wondered how you and your wife were doing.  There's a new caregiver section on the forum that's just getting started...check it out when you have a moment.

Best wishes to you and your family,

Betsy
15mm left side AN, diagnosed 4/25/07, radiosurgery via Trilogy 8/22/07.  Necrosis & shrinkage to 12.8mm April 2009

f706

« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2008, 02:34:02 pm »
Betsy:

You too have my appreciation for your kindness and encouraging words.  We married off our last child a few weeks ago.  Right now he is in Philly working a summer internship.  He had a 2 day honeymoon at our cabin in the rockies and then he flew to North Carolina to join his baseball team (Columbia University) for the NCAA post season tourney.  His bride went to Boston for her Brother and sister's graduations from MIT and Harvard.  After the summer is over they will go back to Columbia where he is a senior.  His new "wifey" will take two years' worth of classes (also at CU) so they can finish at the same time and get outta town.  He will be going to law school, but we don't know where yet.
I must admit that I keep hoping that I'll get some useable hearing out of my left ear.  The doc's told me to get a new test, so I'll do that in the next week or so.  My boss wants me to use a bluetooth device while driving, but if I do that I won't hear anything outside.  If I could at least use my left ear for that it would be some help.  We'll see.

Anyway, thanks again for the kind words and encouragement,

Dan

Brendalu

• Smile..it makes everyone wonder what you are up to
« Reply #70 on: June 16, 2008, 05:10:26 am »
Dan,
It is good to hear from you!  Congratulations on the wedding and the family updates.  They are fun to read about.  Keep us up to snuff on what's going on!
Brenda
Brenda Oberholtzer
AN surgery 7/28/05
Peyman Pakzaban, NS
Chester Strunk, ENT

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #71 on: June 16, 2008, 04:17:50 pm »
Dan:

I want to use your pleasant response to me as a springboard to mention something I've wanted to address for some time.

First: no need to apologize for not posting regularly.  You had your procedure, it went well and you're just living your life.  No problem and completely understandable.

This is an AN support forum.  It is intended to inform, advise and generally support AN patients.  Most folks who place messages here are 'newbies' - newly diagnosed.  Very often they are confused, upset, angry or just frightened and sometimes grossly misinformed.  We aim to educate, advise when feasible, comfort and encourage these folks and those who are recovering from AN surgery and/or radiation treatment.  Some have fairly serious, troublesome physical and emotional issues to deal with.  Some have to do this while simultaneously dealing with insensitive doctors, clueless relatives and others that simply don't understand or care much about the obstacles they're facing on a daily basis as they fight to regain a semblance of normalcy.  Well, we do and they receive understanding here.

Those who have surgery and/or radiation and have a successful outcome with few or no complications very often then cease posting because, frankly, they're recovered and moving on with their lives.  They don't need 'support' anymore.  That's O.K.  I don't expect others to continue posting when, like you, they really have nothing to report and are busy with other things, like careers and family.  Usually, I consider this as the forums having done their job.  I'm pleased that another ANer has had a successful surgery and/or radiation and can go back to their regularly scheduled life, as it were.  :)

I remain a regular participant (and now, a Moderator) here because I was very fortunate...blessed, really...to have had a large, fairly dangerous AN (pressing hard on my brainstem) that was successfully debulked (via retosigmoid surgery) and radiated (via FSR).  My signature says it all. 

I'm a longtime internet messageboard contributor and was a moderator on a hobby forum for two years.  I used to spend a lot of time on political messageboards, too.  Now, I spend the bulk of my internet time here, on the ANA messageboards.  I do this because I had a good outcome, am fairly knowledgeable about AN issues and feel that helping other AN patients with advice, encouragement and empathy is a far better way to spend my internet time than having inevitably futile political debates with folks that will never agree with me, no matter how well written or factual my argument may be.  Even my wife agrees with that. 

So, here I am, two years past a successful surgery with almost no issues to deal with.  Others, like Steve (a fellow moderator and CK recipient) are in a similar situation.  I can't speak to other's motives for remaining habitués of these forums, but I assume it stems from a similar desire to help other AN patients with encouragement and support.   We 'hold down the fort', as it were.

I've often said that I have no intention of making my AN the focus of my life or allowing it to define me.  I don't.  To everyone I know, my 'AN experience' is ancient history and I almost never mention it.  My wife and I occasionally discuss certain aspects of it, but again, My AN is hardly the center of my being.  It was for a few weeks just after my diagnosis and again in the weeks immediately following my surgery and later, my FSR treatments in the autumn of 2006.  That was then.  Now, I limit my AN discussions to these forums.  I mostly discuss other people's Acoustic Neuromas and only talk about my AN when it is relevant and appropriate.  As I stated, I don't make my AN the focus of my existence.  To be honest, I may not be posting here in five years due to an inevitable waning of interest in discussing Acoustic Neuromas or, perhaps, just a lack of energy and/or time.  Who knows? 

In any case, I still enjoy trying to help other AN patients.  We're a relatively small group and need all the help we can get.  I attempt to offer that help, as far as my abilities allow.  That folks come-and-go on these forums is fine with me.  I expect that.  When someone actually pops back in to offer an update after a year, I'm impressed.  You owe us nothing Dan and that you remembered the site and boards and took the time to update us and thank us is plenty.  I'm glad your life is moving along nicely and that you're doing so well. 

I just wanted you and others to know that we appreciate folks like you and why the 'diehards' like me remain regular posters here.

Now, will someone put this soapbox back where they got it?  I'm all done with it.  Thanks.  ;)

Jim 

« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 04:23:32 pm by Jim Scott »
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

f706

« Reply #72 on: June 16, 2008, 09:35:05 pm »
Geez Jim,

It almost sounds like you're telling me to get lost ;D.  Seriously.  I receive a lot of support here, much of it just theraputic ranting by me, but also a great deal of info that was helpful in my decision making process and words of assurance from so many of you.  I would like to be helpful to others, but I do have significant responsibilities that would prevent me spending more than a few minutes daily here.  You know, good intentions.  I intend to keep in touch periodically, but sometimes my life gets the better of me and I'm governed by the fires I need to put out.  My life sometimes is like playing "Wack a Mole".

Dan

f706

« Reply #73 on: November 27, 2008, 10:31:38 am »
To anyone reading this:

I continue to recover nicely and have not noticed any further problems.  My speech discrimination scores in my AN ear went from 92% in June '07 (pre-radio surgery) to 0% in Dec '07 to 40% in Sept. '08.  Two days after the last hearing test, I came home from work and found my wife on the floor dead.  There are worse things than having an AN.

Dan

Patti

« Reply #74 on: November 27, 2008, 01:01:43 pm »
you have mt sympathy.  it has been a rough time for you, to say the least.  peace be with you.  patti
4 cm AN removed 12/2000
subsequent brain swelling
removal of part of cerebellum
face, scalp,tongue numbness and partial paralysis
no corneal sensation and no tears-frequent eye issues
cognitive issues
Regrowth (3.1 x ..86 cm) treated by SRS on November 6, 2015