Author Topic: Yea! Yea! Yea!......It's off to House we go....I Hope.....  (Read 6454 times)

Danny2006

OK, Kind of corny I know, but I just got good news today. 
A little History first. I just returned from Iraq, where I was injured and while being treated for those injuries, I informed my doc’s that I was having dizziness. That led to the discovery of the AN. Because of military insurance, and it’s limitations, I was initially going to go to Vanderbilt where the Doc's wanted to do Translab or retrosig surgery, with at best 30% chance of retaining any hearing in left ear. I had read so many good outcome stories about House Ear Clinic and of course wanted to go to House. I went through all the Channels and due to the help of my case manager and a friend, I was given approval through the military to go. I then had a problem the amount Tricare was willing to pay compared to actual cost of treatment, and it looked like everything was going to fall through; However, Dr. Friedman stepped up to the plate and agreed to accept whatever tricare paid. I am so grateful to him for that. So now it looks like I will be having my surgery at House on June, 2. I am keeping my fingers crossed that nothing else happens to jeopardize my surgery.
I will try to keep everyone up to date.

Thanks Danny
10mmx8mm AN (facial nerve neuroma) found Feb. 06
Surgery at House Clinic on 02June06,

Raydean

Re: Yea! Yea! Yea!......It's off to House we go....I Hope.....
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 06:43:54 pm »
That's great news.  The House is known thru out the world as a Center of Excellence.  I know first hand that not only are the Doctor's experienced, but also compassionate.  Now that the date is set we'll all hope and pray that nothing else comes up.  Keep us updated and know that you're in our thoughts and prayers.

Best to you
Raydean and Chet
Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.

Danny2006

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 07:02:42 pm »
Thanks Raydean

I forgot to mention that Dr Friedman gives me 60% or better hearing retention, and is going to do Middle Fossa.

Thanks again.
Danny

matti

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 08:54:55 pm »
Awesome news Danny  ;D 

Having a plan and a surgery date really helps lessens the stress and anxiety load. Please keep us posted and always know that you have a ton of support here.

take care
matti

3.5 cm  - left side  Single sided deafness 
Middle Fossa Approach - California Ear Institute at Stanford - July 1998
Dr. Joseph Roberson and Dr. Gary Steinberg
Life is great at 50

Jeff

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 09:44:44 pm »
Good for you Danny,

I am a patient of Dr. Friedman's and I like him extremely well. He is great! You are in great hands!

Best wishes,

Jeff
NF2
multiple AN surgeries
last surgery June 08

Battyp

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 10:19:13 pm »
YEAH!!  Glad it's all falling into place.  There are several here who had surgery there and it sounds like you'll be in the best of hands!  Keep us posted!  You'll be in my prayers!

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 10:22:55 pm »
On ya Danny,

I had MF so a tip.

tell the doc, when they cut your scalp to take extra care and when stapled up, to make sure that the flap isn't too tight - i am positive, these two issues are the prime cause of my headaches.

Laz
2.0cm AN removed Nov 2002.
Dr Chang St Vincents, Sydney
Australia. Regrowth discovered
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW
http://www.frappr.com/laz

Danny2006

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 08:01:18 am »

Will do Larry, sounds like good advice

I have had a couple of inner ear infections in my life and they really put me down. I am worried about balance after surgery. Can anyone tell me how long I can expect to have balance problems after surgery, or anything else to expect after surgery?
Thanks Danny

Battyp

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2006, 08:40:14 am »
Danny a lot of the balance problems depends on where you are now.  Tumor size has a correlation to balance issues.  I want to say within 2 mos I was able to walk on my own without a walker or cane but also know that had I of not had the eye problems I would have been up and mobile a lot sooner.  The more you are up and walking the faster I think you compensate.  I still have problems if I turn my head to fast or if I'm too tired.   Capt Deb had middle fossa so maybe she can fill  you in a little better. I dont' know if procedure type has a baring on balance recovery.  I know whether or not they severe your vestibular nerve does. 

Good Luck with everything!

Cheryl R

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2006, 09:07:51 am »
Hi Danny.     One can't predict ahead exactly how the balance issue will affect you.   Part of it depends on your tumor location and size.     Sometimes a small tumor can cause worse havoc than a large one.   Also if your body has compensated some already,you may have less problems.    One may be dizzy afterwards but I never had any dizziness and count myself very lucky.  There then is also a spacy lightheaded feel which is different than the dizziness.     I never had too much of that inside but did outside in wide open spaces and also in large malls and stores with open birghtly lit areas.     One needs to walk in the areas that bother you so the body compensates over time to adjust.   Sometimes it can take several months to fully adjust but that does not mean you can't walk in these areas but you will  notice you are off balance some.            Some people need vestibular therapy to adjust to this which is different than physical therapy.         You probably will notice darkness or dimly lit areas bother you too so having night lights post op is a good idea.
As one gets over the weakness one has immediately post op,it is easier to get around also.
    Good luck with your surgery.     The waiting ahead of time is so hard.
                                      Cheryl R.
Right mid fossa 11-01-01
  left tumor found 5-03,so have NF2
  trans lab for right facial nerve tumor
  with nerve graft 3-23-06
   CSF leak revision surgery 4-07-06
   left mid fossa 4-17-08
   near deaf on left before surgery
   with hearing much improved .
    Univ of Iowa for all care

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2006, 09:13:07 am »
Danny,

I just noticed that your AN is quite small. I know you have elected middle fossa - have you considered radiation treatment? in fact, have you considered doing nothing and watch and wait?

To expand my situation, I had mf around 4 years ago and have had chronic headaches since. balance issues are there but not too serious. no red eye or facial paralysis so pretty lucky on that front.Was back at work in 4 weeks.

About 9 ths ago, after having a regular MRI check, I was told that it had grown back. I am now watching and waiting - will schedule an MRI in a few weeks. There is no way I will have surgery again if i can avoid it.

There are a lot of threads here on gamma knife and cyber knife treatments and I do suggest you have a look at radiation treatment.

Oh, re my hearing. I was told something similar to you. The reality is that the 50% loss is based on a hearing test which largely consists of noise. My affected ear is virtually useless as I can't make out words.

Some food for thought.

Laz
Nov 2005. Watch and wait until 2010 when I had radiotherapy. 20% shrinkage and no change since - You beauty
Chronologer of the PBW

Pembo

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2006, 11:31:34 am »
Hey Danny! That is great news! Soon you will be on the other side of this AN journey and I promise you it feels good to be DONE with surgery.  As for balance, I was VERY dizzy before surgery and I was not dizzy after surgery, a little unsteadiness as my brain learned to compensate but nothing like before surgery.

Good luck!!!!!
Surgery June 3, 2004, University Hospitals Cleveland, BAHA received in 2005, Facial Therapy at UPMC 2006

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2006, 11:35:08 am »
Hi Danny and welcome!

Although I cannot share about micro-surgical experience, I did want you to know that we are cheering you on and sending best wishes in your treatment. House is certainly tops in the field of AN microsurgeries.. and as Laz noted, since it is small (mine was slightly larger than your's), I hope all options were weighed as well. I have a feeling they were. :)

BTW, welcome home from Iraq! I commend you for your service to help protecting us here in the States! Great job! :)

Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

Danny2006

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2006, 02:25:56 pm »

Thanks for your comment Phil.
Larry,
        I have considered all options. I thought about gamma knife, but I am the type who can’t stand the thought of having something in my head that shouldn’t be there. I also will be out of the military soon and have plans to open a sporting goods store. I don't want to take a chance of having to have surgery after I get the business open. Also it is small, and I believe that the smaller the better. Hopefully it will not be all too hard to remove and maybe less complications..(Let’s Hope). I am also in good shape now, and that may mean shorter recovery time...
     So as you can see, I think I am making the right decision and I am having it done by, what I consider, one of the best.
Thanks Danny

Larry

• Scallywags Rule
    • Chronologer of the PBW
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2006, 06:46:59 pm »
Danny,

No worries. You gotta be comfortable about what you are doing - sounds like it so we will be here cheering you on and make sure you keep us posted, questiopns etc etc.

Oh, and importantly - good on ya for ya service to "humanity". Whether one agrees with whats happenning in Iraq or not and i don't want to get political on this site, the fact is that there are thousands of guys and gals putting their lives at risk - good on ya mate.

Laz
Chronologer of the PBW