Author Topic: Kaybo's Moving!  (Read 34331 times)

Kaybo

Kaybo's Moving!
« on: April 18, 2010, 09:28:48 pm »
Well, it thought that I would share for anyone that would like to know...looks like we are moving to Houston.  We found out Thursday afternoon & Dave left today to work there this week.  Any of y'all from the Houston area will be expected to sign up for a time to help unpack boxes!   ;)  Just kidding but i really am a FUN person and I can guarantee lots of laughs!!  ;D  MsMaggie and I already have lunch plans!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

waypoint

Re: Kaybo's Moving!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 09:38:33 pm »
K,

I know your'e not here yet, but welcome to Houston. You'll love it. It grows on you. You also already have many friends here as it is.
2.4cm AN removed, Retrosigmoid, 10/1/07
Memorial Hermann, Dr. Chang & Dr. Alp
lost hearing Lt side, paralysis Lt side hopefully temporary
recovered from the balance issues at about 4-6months

Kaybo

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 11:01:37 pm »
Waypoint-
how in the world are you? I was just thinking about you & wondering how you were doing!!  I'll be calling on you for your shift! Ha, just kidding!!

DL-   
Farther actually but closer in that I will be by a major airport. I won't have to fly here & then come. Much easier flight for you! ;). How have YOU been??

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

wendysig

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 04:50:26 am »
K -

I've heard Houston is beautiful but don't envy you having to move.  I guess since I'm in NYC I get out of having to help with the boxes!   Good luck!!

Wendy
1.3 cm at time of diagnosis -  April 9, 2008
2 cm at time of surgery
SSD right side translabyrinthine July 25, 2008
Mt. Sinai Hospital, New York, NY
Extremely grateful for the wonderful Dr. Choe & Dr. Chen
BAHA surgery 1/5/09
Doing great!

msmaggie

• Blessings abound!
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 05:24:21 am »
I am SO excited!  K and I are going to get into mischief, I can tell already. :D
Priscilla
Diagnosed  left AN 8/07/08, 1.9 CM
Surgery 12/10/08 at Methodist Hospital w/Vrabec and Trask for what turned out to be a cpa meningioma.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 05:51:13 am »
Waypoint good to see you!  ;D

Kay -

does this mean you'll be closer to Patrick and Pooter?  Are they in Houston?

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

ppearl214

• Administrator
  • ANA Forum Policewoman - PBW Cursed Cruise Director
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 06:38:20 am »
I am SO excited!  K and I are going to get into mischief, I can tell already. :D
Priscilla

I'm vewwwy worried now! :)

K, I know packing stinks and stuff... hang in there... I'm sure the Welcome Mat is being rolled out for you, Dave and the Curly Girlies! 

xo
Phyl
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness", Capt Jack Sparrow - Davy Jones Locker, "Pirates of the Carribbean - At World's End"

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 06:51:06 am »
Kay .....

Other than the sheer mound of energy it takes to pack up and move, it does not sound like you are all that unhappy about moving to Houston.  I hope that is the case!  Are you keeping the girls in school where they are until the end of the year?

Just kidding but i really am a FUN person and I can guarantee lots of laughs!!  ;D 

..... and yes, you definitely are a fun person and I am very envious of the Houstonites who will now get to see you on a regular basis!

Prayers for strength for the actual, physical move!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Kaybo

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 07:14:35 am »
Wendy~
I will be working on something you can do from NY!!

Priscilla~
US?  Me?  Mischief?  Phyl, you better keep some bail money handy!

Yes, I will be closer to everybody in and around Houston.  I think that this move will be the next great adventure in our lives and we have prayed & prayed that God will put us where He wants us (there was a chance we could stay put & Dave could do it from here - he will be over BCP at an office here, Houston, CA and NY so obviously he can't be everywhere at once).  This is where I was raised and my mom lives here.  My father is deceased so it breaks my heart that she will be all alone but I think that she will eventually (she'll help us get settled 1st) pack up & move to the DFW area where my brother and her cousins/friends live.  She is good now to go to my bro's to watch the grankids do their activities there so I know we will still see a LOT of her.  The hardest thing is telling people and their reactions but like I told Dave, I'm glad that they don't say, "OH GOOD, you are leaving - I couldn't stand being around you anyway!!"    ;)  Dave's parents & 2 of his siblings and their families live in Houston so they are SUPER excited.

I feel like I have had a few adversities in my life and have dealt with them in a positive way so this will be OK too - just kind of hard right now!  Oh yeah, and SOOOOOO much to do - I haven't been sleeping well because my mind just won't stop...

K   ;D
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 07:42:03 am »
Gosh, Kay..you know I'd LOVE to help with the packing and unpacking, but I'm soooo far away.  Oh well.  If you ever move to Virginia Beach, I've got ya covered!   ;)

My best moving advice - get rid of as much stuff as you can before you go.  You'd be amazed and how much stuff you have that you don't need anymore.  My friends and neighbors all know when I'm planning a move because the "door prizes" begin.  No one leaves my house empty handed.  "It was good seeing you - take this crock pot".  Then as a final parting gesture - have a bbq, invite a lot of people - cook what you can and then before they leave, put the contents of your fridge and freezer on the counter and give everyone a bag to take stuff home.

I know you'll do well and it will be an adventure for you.  Isn't everything you do an adventure?   :D  At least you already have some connections down there and won't have to start at the very beginning to figure things out.

Get some sleep - this will all work out.  Tackle one thing at a time.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Debbi

• Originator of the Magic Scarf
    • Debbi's AN Blog
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 09:13:24 am »
Darlin', of COURSE everyone is goign to miss you - but think of all the friends you have yet to meet in Houston.  I've moved all over the countryover the last 30 years, and it is always sad to leave the "old" place behind, but exciting to make new friendships in the new place.  And, Houston is a great city! 

And, Lori is right - get rid of stuff.  Garage sale, hostess gifts, whatever - it is amazing how much stuff we accumulate.

Sending you a great big hug,
Deb
Debbi - diagnosed March 4, 2008 
2.4 cm Right Side AN
Translab April 30, 2008 at NYU with Drs. Golfinos and Roland
SSD Right ear, Mild synkinesis and facial nerve damage
BAHA "installed" Feb 2011 by Dr. Cosetti @ NYU

http://debsanadventure.blogspot.com

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 09:39:10 am »
Wow, congratulations. I hope the move is a blessing for your family. Are the girlies excited?

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

cindyj

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 11:23:28 am »
Don't work too hard, K...I'm with the others, purge as much as you can!  Are the girls excited about the move?  By the way, is Kendie all better now?

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 03:17:25 pm »
Kay ~

Congratulations on your move to Houston!  It appears as if this will be a positive experience.  Sorry, I can't lift anything heavy and besides, my arms won't reach from here to Texas.  ;)  

As someone who moved ten times in less than 20 years (my profession practically demanded a peripatetic lifestyle) I second Lori's advice about jettisoning unneeded items before you pack.  Yard sales are great for this and Goodwill Industries never turns down contributions.  I don't know if your husband's employer is picking up the tab for the move but if not - and movers are hideously expensive - Greyhound bus lines used to allow you to ship clothing and soft goods (no furniture or appliances) for very low rates.  We haven't moved in over 20 years so this may not be true any longer but it might be worth a phone call to Greyhound if you're paying for the move.  If not - never mind.  :)

My adult son has a friend in Houston (originally from Oklahoma) working in the IT field and doing very well.  Although his job is relatively secure and he is paid fairly (he's a call center supervisor for a large, regional cable company) my (unmarried) son plans to move to Houston in another year or so (when his student loans and other bills are paid off) to get away from onerous Connecticut taxes, winter weather and the sinking northeast economy.  I told him that if he finds Houston to be as good as it seems (he visited last year) we may join him.  I was only half-kidding.  Although a move would be difficult (we have decades of collected 'stuff' in our attic and some very dear friends here) I would consider it for the same reason my son is planning to move.  Although I'm retired, our income would go a lot farther in a state with a lower cost of living and the warmer weather always sings a siren song to easterners.

I know you'll light up any neighborhood you settle in Kay, and with your servant's heart, you'll always contribute in ways that you may not even realize.  Houston will be fortunate to have you.

Jim  
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 07:58:53 pm »
I don't envy your move ... last move I made was 50 feet or so out of the trailer we lived in while building the house and it like to have did me in ...

Good luck and as others have said ... this is a great time to de-clutter ...and you will get there with a few ready made friends ...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery