Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 418887 times)

cindyj

Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #1035 on: July 14, 2011, 11:29:35 am »
Same here in Atlanta, Kay!  Muggy, muggy, hot!  But, I'm trying not to complain as I remember how I hate the cold, cold winters...played tennis last night and could hardly see the ball for all the sweat dripping in my eyes ::)

Soundy, you're so right...for me, staying active is key to keeping the wonkiness at a manageble level.  I find that even on those days it's really noticeable and I feel like I'd rather just sit down, if I just go ahead and get active, I am fine...or at least I don't notice it so much.  It certainly does not get better by just sitting around :D

Dance lesson tonight, so will be a much cooler activity, but it's Waltz and Foxtrot, so not many calories burned, but helps reduce my couch potato time ;)

Have a good weekend if I don't "see" you all til next week...

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Jill Marie

« Reply #1036 on: July 14, 2011, 11:18:31 pm »
Hi all,

Clarice thanks for the kind words.  I know that sometimes I'm the one holding myself back but I blame it on the tumor/eye/balance issues out of fear of trying something new or pushing harder at something I've already done.  Remember that variety in exercise is always good, even when it's chasing after granddaughters!

Allison - Congratulations of conquering Stone Mountain, sounds like it's not an easy hike

Soundy - Thanks for the trip down camping memory lane.  Glad you had a wonderful time, isn't it nice when you get a chance to show your child that "Mother Knows Best."  Hope you headaches gone so you can get back to enjoying the summer with the kids. 

Sara - Read your post about going to the gym and working in the yards for 2.5 hours, what time did you get up?  I read it in the morning and unless you live in a time zone WAY earlier then ours you were really up and at em.  Congratulations on reaching the platinum level, it's great that they give you incentives at the gym.

Skip - Welcome!  Yep, it's nice to get out and enjoy yourself & get some exercise so you can tell the AN whose boss.  Is the outer Banks in North Carolina?  Seems like I remember reading about that area when we went to our sons Military graduation in Ft. Bragg.

Jan - I agree with Sara, gardening is exercise, I have a blister on my hand to prove it.  I vote bike ride for your 50th, I can't run at all  but love to ride the bike.  Let us know how that plan shapes up!

Kay - Where you going on the cruise?  Sounds like it's tough to get ready for it when you've got those really hot temps going on.  Perhaps swimming would work?

Keri - Glad to know that I wasn't the only one that thought the comment about watering the bikes was out of line, on the bright side it helped me get my second wind so the next quarter mile wasn't so rough.   The mountain biking sounds like fun but I'm not sure I'm up to jumping logs and streams, even a little one.  I like the flat and smooth roads. 

Cindy - Yes, even fellow bike riders some times are lacking in support.  It was really hard not to say that I broke my regular bike, glad I didn't when I passed them on the shrimp bike, he, he!  Hope you had fun dancing, just remember every little bit helps.

Mei Mei - When I walk I listen to an Oldies station, sure helps the time pass.  I find myself walking to the beat of the music which really helps.  August 1st will be here before you know it so you can do the things you want to do. 

My exercise routine has been limited to walking the dogs, thank goodness they make me do that.  I'm still working extra hours and will do more the next couple of weeks as the other person I work with is going to a funeral out of town next week and the week after that shes going on vacation.  Can't wait tell it's over so I can get back on my bike.  I weeded the garden and helped build the deck this weekend which was pretty good exercise.  Today I went to Costco for the company and bought 10 huge packages of paper towels, lots of TP, coffee and cleaning supplies.  Loaded them on the cart, loaded them in my pickup(filled it up), unloaded them and put them away.  Going for variety not quantity in exercise!  I know you don't want to here it but I have to tell you that we are in the 70's this week, nice weather for doing anything you want to do.  We are usually in the 90's this time of year.  Hope everyone has a great weekend.  Jill 8)

Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #1037 on: July 15, 2011, 06:29:55 am »
Jill, that was Independence Day and the gym was only open for a few hours. So I went at 5:30 with my daughter, then did the yard work while I was already sweaty and finished up before it got too beastly hot. The incentives from the gym are great, but now I am at the top level so after this tee shirt there won't be any more.

Hope everyone stays active and has a great weekend.
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #1038 on: July 16, 2011, 10:16:31 am »
Hi All ....

Just got home about midnight last night from a week in Colorado Springs, with an altitude above 6K'.  That took some getting used to!  We were attending a conference in a hotel with a loooooooong hallways floor plan.  Walked from back and forth from meetings or meals to room several times a day (in narrow hallways with wild carpeting, to boot).  That was a good thing ....... helped to work off the high calorie meals ..... but I am exhausted today.  Some of that is from jet lag.

You all are so conscientious about exercising ..... must get back with it again!!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Kaybo

« Reply #1039 on: July 16, 2011, 12:37:44 pm »
Just got back from walking/jogging...not real smart to wait so late in the day but after I saw Keri's post on FB about running SEVENTEEN MILES this morning, I was inspired!  I even ran a whole mile without stopping (not far but about double of what I have been doing at once)...I am a VERY SLOW runner but I figure it is the HEART that counts!!

Way to go everyone on your exercise!

K   ;D

PS - Clarice - you have until Monday to get to the park...um, what happened to the Y?
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

cindyj

« Reply #1040 on: July 16, 2011, 07:42:52 pm »
So bad tonight...went up to Chik Fil A to get a brownie and sweet tea...mmmm, so good, but guilt is setting in :(  You guys be stronger than me, ok!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Mei Mei

« Reply #1041 on: July 16, 2011, 09:48:40 pm »
Hey, don't knock yourself down for wanting a brownie.   You can get one, but just every now and then.    Wendy's has some nice flavors of unsweetened.   The flavors are so good you don't need it sweetened.   My favorite iced drink is at Starbucks...the Passion Tazo Iced tea.   I was getting it so much that I bought the tea bags and am brewing it at home.

Went to the fantastic NYC group today and those people lead a nice group.  Cheers to Lauren and Miranda for leading a great group and having so many materials for us to look at.   I found out at the meeting today from Lauren that if you walk slowly, it's not good for your balance and that walking quickly you're likely not to fall down.   I'll have to work up to that.   After falling down the stairs in May and breaking my hand, i've been over cautious and taking baby steps.
My daughter, her boyfriend and I went to Italian dinner tonight and then to see a Broadway show based on the Shirelles and their manager Mrs. Goldberg.  The story line and music was great.   Everybody looked like they were having fun.   I'm getiing out my iPod and loading some songs or even my old tape cassette with walking to the oldies.

Well good night buddies,
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

texsooner

« Reply #1042 on: July 17, 2011, 08:17:14 pm »
Checking in with a 90 mile bike ride today in the Katy, TX Flatlands bike ride. I know what Kaybo is talking about on the heat index....sweated away a bunch of water weight that I'm trying to restore.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #1043 on: July 17, 2011, 08:28:12 pm »
Mei Mei - even if you only have your Walking to the Oldies tape on casette, you should be able to find the individual songs to load onto your iPod.

I need to check my calendar to make sure, but I believe that I have completed five weeks of exercising without skipping any workouts. Next week will be a little tougher since it is dead week at Elbee's school so she won't have any early morning bball to drag me out of bed for. Hopefully momentum will keep me going.

It's going to be a scorcher of a week here also - temperatures hovering at 100 all week. I feel a sinus headache building, bad news since there is no rain in the forecast all week.

On the plus side, my car is going in for hail damage repair Thursday.

Keep cool and hydrated, my friends.
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

Kate B

• AN World
« Reply #1044 on: July 17, 2011, 09:21:39 pm »
Checking in with a 90 mile bike ride today in the Katy, TX Flatlands bike ride. I know what Kaybo is talking about on the heat index....sweated away a bunch of water weight that I'm trying to restore.

Patrick

Wow!! Impressive, especially in this heat.  I struggled to ride an hour today:-)
Kate
Middle Fossa Surgery
@ House Ear Institute with
Dr. Brackmann, Dr. Hitselberger
November 2001
1.5 right sided AN

Please visit http://anworld.com/

Keri

« Reply #1045 on: July 17, 2011, 09:41:45 pm »
Okay.. i'm trying to envision human foosball (a few Soundy posts ago).
And I'm impressed with all of mei mei's comings and goings to meet AN people all over the place.
I give double snaps to Kay and Patrick for exercising in TX heat. and for Sara for all those non missed workouts.
and Jill, just call that 'variety' in exercise crosstraining!
Cindy - after our long run the other day we went to georgetown cupcakes (speaking of brownies).
I'm hoping Jan has found a bike ride to do to celebrate her birthday!
Clarice - your trip sounded very nice! Altitude does make a difference!

So here's what my hubby and i did on our 28th anniversary (Saturday). .. we got up at crack o dawn o clock and ran 17 miles (marathon training ugh) and then went to a friends house for a nice lunch/dinner afternoon hang out time, then ran an 8K race that night. The weather was nice for the nighttime 8K so that was kind of fun. We are trying to get childcare lined up tomorrow so that we can go mountain biking and that will be way more fun than running (unless i fall constantly and get scared, as i'm prone to do). Today was a day of rest!

Keep it up!
Keri

1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #1046 on: July 18, 2011, 09:08:16 am »
grounded for a bit ...yesterday I put my foot on bench at foot of my bed to tie my shoe ... something went wrong and instead of my foot going down and me standing up , I stood up and foot came with me ...when I knew I was going to fall I grabbed my head to protect it  ... came straight down on butt and broke my tail bone ... have some pain running down backs of legs and up center of back ... and feel like I have been punched in the gut ... prescription is to take hot showers , sit on donut, rest , take muscle relaxers and pain meds as needed ... this is the first time I have really hurt myself falling all the way to ground and only the 4th time I have hit the ground from losing balance ...

we are suppose to go to water park tomorrow ... I plan on still going ... I can sit in my floaty ring and bob around the wave pool... taking weight off back will probably feel good ... just skip the water slides ...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #1047 on: July 18, 2011, 09:31:11 am »
Oh, Soundy. That is terrible news. I am so sorry. Am sending "Get Well Extremely Fast" vibes your way.

I did not want to go to the gym this morning. As in really, Really, REALLY did not want to go. After spending way too much time trying to muster up the energy to get out of the house, I did Emily Alvers' at-home HIIT instead (http://emilyalvers.com/at_home_hiit.html).

I have a family room with a hardwood floor that has one step down to the main room, so it was a near-perfect venue (except that I discovered that the ceiling is too low for jumping rope so I had to pretend that I had the rope in hand). My dog was quite bewildered, though.

I don't intend to wimp out on the gym very often, but this will be great in a time pinch or for snow days next winter. No excuses!

Now for a few sets of crunches - need to go find my yoga mat.
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

Mei Mei

« Reply #1048 on: July 18, 2011, 11:53:36 am »
Oh Soundy,   I'm so sorry this happened to you.   You've now have to recover from a broken coccyx.   Next time you put your shoes on, sit in a chair.   We have to be so much more careful now that we've had an AN.   Life is just not the same anymore
Hugs to you and heal quickly,
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

Jim Scott

• 1943-2020 Please keep Jim's family in your hearts
« Reply #1049 on: July 18, 2011, 12:54:07 pm »
Soundy ~

I was dismayed to learn that you've had a bone break because of a fall, precipitated by your lack of equilibrium.  This is a common problem for ANers.  I have it, too.  Like most, I cope and do 'work-arounds' but sometimes, that doesn't save me from losing my balance and falling, although that is - thankfully - quite rare and, to date, hasn't resulted in any bodily damage.  Still, I'm very vigilant about not being in a position where I have to depend on my sense of balance, or fall.  As Mei Mei stated: one learns to adjust .  Still, accidents will happen.  I'm sorry this one happened to you and I hope your recovery will be swift and not too limiting, as you seem like an extremely busy lady.  Enjoy the water park!

Jim 
4.5 cm AN diagnosed 5/06.  Retrosigmoid surgery 6/06.  Follow-up FSR completed 10/06.  Tumor shrinkage & necrosis noted on last MRI.  Life is good. 

Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is.  The way we cope with it is what makes the difference.