Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 421161 times)

Keri

Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #1020 on: July 06, 2011, 06:37:59 am »
Hi everyone,
Going to try to remember everyone...
Jan - good for you! I feel your comeback coming. I had a friend just complete that couch to 5K program sara mentioned. also runners world.com has lots of training tips and programs you can read about - all levels of runners and all distances. and my daughter has a setp 17th birthday too (mei mei)!

Clarice - glad you're trying and i admire the way you're doing stuff so quickly after surgery but taking it slowly too.
Kay - if i ever lived in texas again, i think i'd be sitting on the sofa instead of running in the heat! so good for you for trying. and i think you're doing way more than you think. i'm going to send you separate text or email about your mom.

welcome, skip! and allison and cindy - i hope you too can get together. and way to go on climbing the mountain.

jill - great hearing your bike stories! i love biking. i had a friend who went to maine last week and was telling me about all the bike trails at acadia and i was jealous - sounded beautiful. i can't believe that uppity cyclist said that stupid comment about water the bike.. i hate it when these fast people (a few of them) think they own the world. i admire those who get out there and try and get it done. i think a lot of fast people admire that too, there's just always a few jerks. but enough of that.. the biking and trips and hills and all that sounds great!

i've been keeping up better this year with my marathon group. it's been fun. and sunday afternoon and monday i went mountain biking. yikes!! this 'farm' with all these single track dirt paths was actually rated 'moderate / easy' and i'd hate to see a 'difficult' because it was plenty difficult to me. but so much fun. going up these dirt trails over tree roots and jumping little (key word: little) logs and trying to go through a stream (but kind of wimping out). good exercise - mental and physical and lots of fun. hope to do it again soon - the place is kind of far from my house.

and sara - way to go !!! that must be exciting to work up to those levels - it inspires you more.

have a good week everyone!! keep checking in!
keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

cindyj

« Reply #1021 on: July 06, 2011, 01:32:39 pm »
Keri, the mountain biking sounds like great fun!  Did you ride your bike or did they provide actual mountain bikes?  What a challenge!

Allison, my son hiked Stone Mountain on 4th of July - he's in great shape, but said it was exhausting doing that...I've been there years ago, but never hiked up it...good for you!

Sara, you are just doing so great - thanks for continuing to share your progress with us!

Jan, I'm a September baby also - hit 50 two years ago.  You should definitely sign up to do the 5k - you will be so glad you did when you cross that finish line! 

Jill, What?  You mean someone actually said that to you on the bike trail - unbelievable! 

Kay, Soundy, Mei Mei, Clarice...hello to you too!  Sure I missed someone...hello and keep moving!

I did better last week - actually walked a few days and did some pool aerobics, played two tennis matches also - boy was that hot!  Still waiting to hear from bank on the house...but packing to move on the 23rd regardless...

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Mei Mei

« Reply #1022 on: July 06, 2011, 05:19:19 pm »
Sounds like you are capable of moving MOUNTAINS!
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

Keri

« Reply #1023 on: July 06, 2011, 10:21:39 pm »
Cindy,
You are the ultimate example of cross training! Where are you trying to move? Are you hoping to stay in Atlanta?

Mei mei - don't you live in Bethesda? Do you ever walk on the Capital Crescent trail? I'm there most every Saturday morning. I live in Silver Spring  - Kemp Mill area. Do you ever go to Brookside Gardens? I'm close to that.

Enough of DC area surburb talk!

I didn't do anything today (well, I paid bills and did a lot of paperwork... nothing on the exercise front. I need to / have got to tomorrow).

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Mei Mei

« Reply #1024 on: July 07, 2011, 04:51:27 am »
My back yard borders on the Capital Crescent Trail .   I walk my Punky on it and walk to Bethesda.   I live three blocks off Wisconsin Ave.   My daughter was married in Brookside Gardens.   We have a lot in common.  Got to meet when I come back from Boston after the 12th.
Hugs,
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #1025 on: July 09, 2011, 02:33:55 pm »
Rode my bike this morning.  Am thinking that perhaps I should do a bike ride - like Patrick does (except not as many miles) - instead of a 5K to celebrate my 50th.

Will have to think on that.

To use a Kaybo word, Snaps to all of you who keep on the exercise wagon.  I hope to become a regular one day very soon!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #1026 on: July 09, 2011, 03:47:53 pm »
Haven't walked for TWO days...NO SNAPS for me...

Way to go JAN!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #1027 on: July 09, 2011, 04:17:46 pm »
Thanks to Kay, I now have my brand, spankin' new Acics and they are wonderful.  Back to walking again!!  Now if I can just huff and puff my way while we are in Colorado Springs this week ...... 6,000+ altitude!

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #1028 on: July 10, 2011, 10:09:54 pm »
Have a GREAT week, everyone!
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #1029 on: July 11, 2011, 05:59:59 pm »
We survived Bible camp … had a great time … the group of girls we had were well mannered and sweet … we had 11 through 17 year olds …
 We rode horses , swam ,had craft house and game areas … other than swim times , meals , devotional and Evening Service the kids were free to any activity area they wanted to … sounds like it would be chaos but it wasn’t … only 100 kids and a lot of ground to spread out on …we had kids crying Wednesday to go home and Friday  morning they were crying because they were leaving …

Hannah wanted to hike through Big Boulders Trail  (many bigger than my house) over to a mill stone quarry , across to fire tower and back down to mess hall … you have colored dots to follow on trees and rocks … thing is the dots have not been repainted in 5 years and do to weathering and some that were on trees that have blown down…  we got to fire tower and radio tower , then could not find any more dots to follow … I knew the camp had to be down the service road that left out opposite side of tower and than we should pick up our orange dots along the road … so we start down and after 15 minutes and no dots we came to a bend in the road  … then Hannah decides she doesn’t trust my judgment and refused to continue down the road with me …main rule when hiking is not to do it alone …so after some argument I turn around with her go back up and over the mountain around western rim back to main camp area … they were already lined up for lunch when we made it to mess all … I took Hannah over to trail map and when we were at bend in road and turned around we were less than a quarter of a mile from camp … grrrrrrrrr … turned our 4 mile hike into almost 8 miles

But we got to spend quality time alone , walked off a pound or two , saw some beautiful country and Hannah learned that she should trust me a little more … she did have a semi valid point ,,,she told me you hear about hikers getting lost all the time and that we should go back the way we knew would get us back to camp … but since the only thing on the mountain is the camp and fire tower and radio tower and I knew the road had to get back to the one lane road that came up the mountain since it is the only road up or down ….I knew we were not lost Hannah was not so sure …

Lost 2 pounds at camp … they had really good food that hindered weight loss… I ate too much of it … ;D

Big event of the week was the rescue of a bat … you have to walk about half a mile to swimming pool … we walked back with the girls and I saw something on the barb wire fence that is around horse pen … I thought it was paper and planned on getting it when we went back to cabins … we swam then on way back I told the girls to pick up any trash they saw … Sarah and a little girl that went with us went over to the fence to get the paper off fence and it was a bat … not sure what kind …webbing on wings was black but it’s back and fingers were reddish brown and it was about twice as big as the bats we have around here … it started flopping when they got close to it … they call me to come save it …Sarah was  about in tears … I guess it hit the fence the night before while chasing bugs … he was hooked through a wing near it’s foot and was't bleeding … I wrapped my towel around it and lifted it up and got it loose … I walked into the woods and toss the towel up in the air and hoped for the best … it flew off squeaking Thank You … at least that is what Sarah said he was saying …
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Soundy

« Reply #1030 on: July 11, 2011, 07:23:22 pm »
something else we did that burned a lot of calories was play human foosball... they have a court built that consists of a corral type fence with a goal at each end … there are 6  - 3 inch iron pipes run from one side to the other of corral … these have a PVC pipe sleeve with nylon webbing handles for players to hold on to …the PVC sleeves slide back and forth on iron pipe … you have two teams of 8 players and pretty much plays like table version of foosball … the court was about 15 x 30 feet … I am looking for plans online for a court … we have been looking for something for our junior high kids …all they have now is a slab of blacktop and a basket ball goal … a walking trial has been put in over the summer … but this foosball court would be  good if we have enough money and get approval
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 07:29:49 pm by Soundy »
Translab July 2 ,2007

allisjbh

• facebook
« Reply #1031 on: July 13, 2011, 04:33:03 pm »
Thanks Cindy, Keri, and Mei Mei! I've been such a couch potato ever since - lol! I've got to get going!!!!!
Allison
ALLISON
2.8cm x 3.8cm AN translab 12/31/09 Emory Atl Drs Olson & Mattox;  right facial paralysis: "... (facial) nerve remarkably thin..." EMG 8/10; gold weight, tarrs, & browlift 1/11 Neufeld; facial sling implant & left eye bleph 4/11 Yellin

Mei Mei

« Reply #1032 on: July 13, 2011, 06:28:27 pm »
Get going everyone.   It feels good.  I have an old tape that I wish I could transfer to the iPod.   It's called walking to the Oldies and lasts 60 mins.   It has a warm up, a speed up and a warm down.   It gets you going all over town that you never thought you could go that far.   I love it and it's my peaceful time of day.   I just love 60s music and it really give a good walking beat.   

I am on doctor's instructions not to exercise at the gym until Aug 1.   It's made such a negative mark on my life.   I had the surgery on May 26th and don't want to unplug those implanted nerves.   Going back to Myofacial release therapy after Aug 1 also.   Things are getting back on track at long last.   Am going up to NYC to meet the NY/NJ group.   Am really looking forward to it.   Am staying in the same hotel my parents had their reception and first night before honeymooning in of all places Sleepy Hollow, Tarreytown and a bit north.   Maybe I should go there and check out the Sleepy Hollow story.
Hugs to all and get going!
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

Soundy

« Reply #1033 on: July 14, 2011, 10:59:31 am »
Did great last week at camp and was sad to come to the end of it ... I was alot more active than I am at home ...spent most of the last 3 days mostly in bed ... had a headache that had me staggering like a drunk... ended up have to take an extra lyrica and 2 hydrocodones yesterday to finally knock it out ... have been achy since camp then the headache for about 50 hours ...was hoping to treat it with rest and Tylenol ... I think that next time I will reach for the big guns and knock it out at at beginning ...

Bo thinks that when I didn't jump up and walk all over creation after doing so for a week , that my body revolted against me … I walked this morning and did OK … the kids want to hike back into the woods … may this afternoon … to hot right now … it has been real hot with heat indexes of 115 or so … I think getting out feeding animals and doing what farm work I still do that I got too hot and that is what triggered the headaches … trying to get some routine established … a schedule instead of just floating along doing things as I see they need done and exercising when it comes to mind … I do better when school is in session and we have a schedule to adhere to ..

They have put in a paved walking trail through the woods behind the school ( goes to a beautiful spring and water fall )  … it was already there and had not been maintained due to the steepness of the hill and it was hard to re-mulch every year … we got a $68,000 grant to improve fitness from the Diabetes   Foundation …they have also put in a fully equipped gym/ weight room for adults and one for kids … excited to get back and see it … days I am at school I can use the weight /gym equipment when it is not in use by a class …there is no gym first period so that means gym is free from 7:30 - when school starts until 9:15 I can use it … the walking trail is assessable 24/7 and can be used by community …

I think I already told you all this … anyway trying to get in more exercise time in the morning and get house in order … been super busy all summer and house looks neglected … clutter is accumulating … camp things the kids made and dumped on counter instead of taking to their rooms  , day camp leftovers , every day stuff that seems to just grow on flat surfaces … so exercise plan is to walk and then come in and do de-cluttering for about 10 minutes each morning then read for a bit then we have a Wii workout plan to do that takes about 30 minutes … we sat and mad a schedule for the days remaining of summer … and gave ourselves a mini vacation day next Tuesday and Point Mallard Water Park … it isn’t the ocean and beach but it is water and there is a sand river beach along side the wave pool and water slides

Sorry for the book … I didn’t go to bed until around 2 this morning and got back up at 4:30 to get Bo fed and out the door … when I do that I get hyper and flit around a lot and talk and or type a lot … while doing this I have talked to health department about the boosters Sarah needs to go into 7th grade and set her yearly check up with doctor … talked to Mom who has a vein swollen in her wrist … it is an over used vein that they stick all the time for blood tests or put IV lines in it … she is an hour away and trying to  get to diagos what is wrong by looking on computer … I told her to call her doctor … she did and they said to come in… called her doctor and told him to let me know when she gets there …she didn’t show up in the 10 minutes it would take her to get there and called her and she decided to take a shower before going … she is scared it is leaking as she saw this happen in the nursing home when she was working … I growled at her and told her to go on … and she got there OK and they are watching her … and did a dopler scan or something on it

Argh …. Another chapter when I thought I had come to an end
Get out and walk , run , ride your bike …what ever …

just get moving
…
you don’t have to get buff … I haven’t , but I have learned that I feel better when more active 
Translab July 2 ,2007

Kaybo

« Reply #1034 on: July 14, 2011, 11:03:50 am »
I walked walked/jogged yesterday...the humidity about killed me and it was only 77% - it is already at 93% today...remember I am used to Amarillo with ZERO humidity!! Heat index today is supposed to be 105!  This is my last day/night with NO KIDS so I think I'll just stay in where it is cool and be lazy! :o

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!