Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 421146 times)

Mei Mei

Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #1065 on: July 28, 2011, 06:55:32 am »
I just weighed myself and lost 11 pounds since last Thursday on the Dukan Diet.    Life is surely getting back to normal in baby steps.
No carbs and entered Stage 2 of the diet after five days, so am having veggies and protein with bran in the morning.   Boy that bran really goes through you!
Mei Mei
1 cm Tumor RetrosigmoidSurgery on Jan 12 at Johns Hopkins
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo
35dB loss pre surgery and now SSD
Post surgical Headaches and Tinnitus
Dr Ducic Georgetown Excision Surgery May 2011
Dr. Schwartz GW  Titanium Mesh  March 2012
Drs Kalhorn/Baker, Georgetown Removal of Titanium Mesh

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #1066 on: August 01, 2011, 04:03:19 pm »
How is everyone doing in this heat? Today was the last day of summer early morning bball; now I will have to motivate myself to continue.
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Mei Mei

« Reply #1067 on: August 01, 2011, 05:45:40 pm »
Tomorrow's my first day back at the gym and also have an appointment with my myofacial release therapist.   Am soooo looking forward to getting back to all of this normal life.
Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #1068 on: August 02, 2011, 05:49:35 am »
went to Bridge Street Mall in Huntsville yesterday ... never been ... it was nice to walk through but only bought a e things at Bath Works  ... it is set up with an open air street weaving through what looks like a business district with shops opening out onto a street in Italy ... complete with a canal going through it and gondolas you can rent ... the girls have wanted to go since it opened 3 years ago ... it wore me out ... and then we had to go to the mall we always go to to actually get shoes and clothes ...luckily they don't need much ... shoes , a few shirts and a dress a piece ... main thing was shoes ... in our little town the shoes I got myself for $39 (new balance walking shoes ) are $99 ... Sarah's are $119 in town and $49 in Huntsville ... Hannah's were only $45 and $89 here in town ... I like living in small town but when it comes to shopping have to go big ... even with gas spent we save a bundle on shoes alone ...

so now we are all set to walk or run and got in exercise while getting them ... school shopping day always takes me a day or two to recover from ... my tail bone and backs of legs are aching this morning ...once girls are gone I am gonna take a hot shower before starting my day
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Jill Marie

« Reply #1069 on: August 06, 2011, 07:48:28 pm »
I tried a different diet/work out plan this past week.  Worked 56 hours (M-Sat), had little time to eat during the day and to tired to eat much at night.  Walked the dogs the first 2 days had to take naps the next two days instead.  My eyes are really hurting from working so much, hurts to look at the computer screen because of the brightness so I shall go now.  Back to regular work schedule next week, thank goodness.  Looking forward to enjoying the rest of the summer.  Take Care, Jill :)
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

Mei Mei

« Reply #1070 on: August 06, 2011, 08:14:26 pm »
Be careful of too much computer use.  The screens are bad for your eyes and there is also a strain on your neck and shoulder.   Wish that i could spend the time on this Forum without strain on my poor neck and skull.

http://www.aoa.org/documents/EffectsComputerUse.pdf

Mei Mei
Drs. Niparko and Tamargo

Soundy

« Reply #1071 on: August 07, 2011, 05:54:03 pm »
have full access to school work out room from 7:15 til 9:15... longer if the gym teacher isn't using the room ...

we now have a fully equipped gym in the school basement ...I think I told you all about it somewhere on this thread .. there are professional grade machines to work out every muscle and moving part of the body ... played a bit on the equipment last week while kids were checking in on the first day ...one piece of equipment that works your legs and butt like to have done me in ... stand with feet slightly spread under padded bars over your shoulders and do squats ...I thought my legs were the least of my worries til I got on that thing ... and it works muscles you don't remember having  :o  depending on if you face the thing or face out ...  I am blaming my lack of success on that particular station on recently broken  tail bone ...I knew that injury would make a handy excuse for something  ;D

have teamed up with a few moms that bring their kids to school ... working out a planned routine with the gym teacher who has been trained to teach with the equipment and make specific routines for people based on where they are physically and as you improve he will reassign reps / tensions and sets to make it harder ... I am going to take the girls to school on Monday , Wednesday and Friday ... walk a mile to warm up , go through routine and home to a hot shower ... I had planned on having them ride the bus in the morning and most afternoons ... but since I can't afford to sign up for a gym which has been advised by PT and this is free other than gas to get there I am going to try to commit to this ...

I have lost a total of 17 pounds since Mothers day weekend ...weighed in at school with nurse who keeps a chart on those of us who had been using the gym last year to walk in ... if it weren't for the upswings in my yo-yo-ing weight it would be about double that  ;) ... according to my doctor I am about 40 pounds over weight ... want to shed about 15 by Christmas ...

Translab July 2 ,2007

Kaybo

« Reply #1072 on: August 08, 2011, 08:48:02 am »
Hello Everyone!!

I am back from our cruise and back to walking/running again - just got back.  We all weighed ourselves on the luggage scales at the airport yesterday (OH MY!) but to my relief, it was not near as bad when I weighed on my regular scales at home - WHEW!  I'm just hoping to be back to where I was (or within a pound or 2) when i weigh in Wednesday.  I did run/walk on the ship 2 days and climbed about 14 flights of stairs those days - I did try to do the stairs whenever I could on short jaunts too.  One day, we went to ride ziplines in the jungle of Mexico (no, we weren't SUPPOSED to go to Mexico but got diverted b/c of storm) and I thought that I'd get in LOTS of climbing up to the zippies, but they used cables to lift us up ~ by far the scariest thing!!  However, I did get it lots of trail walking (& bugs) thru the jungle!!  I didn't count points, but didn't go crazy either - I did eat VERY sensible breakfasts each day!  ;)

Back to the grindstone!!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Brewers7

« Reply #1073 on: August 08, 2011, 09:55:22 am »
Awesome!
Translab surgery 12/15/2008 followed by CSF leakage repair and 3 additional surgeries for MRSA of the brain (NOT typical) SSD,  facial and vocal cord paralysis, numerous reconstructive surgeries, Transear 12/2010

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #1074 on: August 08, 2011, 10:02:57 am »
So the airline scales weigh heavy huh? Go figure.
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

Soundy

« Reply #1075 on: August 08, 2011, 11:25:04 am »
tried out the new walking trail at school and did 3.5 miles this morning ... didn't seem as long or demanding as the last 5K I did which makes no sense at all ...
Translab July 2 ,2007

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #1076 on: August 08, 2011, 12:06:40 pm »
If you were running the 5K and walking on the walking trail, it makes perfect sense. Or maybe the 5K course was hillier?
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

Soundy

« Reply #1077 on: August 10, 2011, 05:19:10 am »
I don't run ... not stable when moving fast ... I think it was the scenery ... the school is out in the country in a small ( tiny) town ... along with the school we have two gas stations / convenience stores/ cafés , the water department building , a post office that is about as big as my living room , library that is about twice as big as th living room and a community building ... behind the school is a valley and woods with a kudzu covered area ...

I think it is the scenery ... the 5K route used by groups in town runs through town neighbor hoods ... I think trees mean more to me than house , honking horns and other city based scenery ,sounds etc ... both routes are gentle rolling hills ... we walk counter clockwise so we start out walking down hill behind school on one end and then uphill to come back around front ... flat across the front and over and over again ....

we did another 3.5 yesteday... we take kids to school in the morning so might as well take advantage of what is available .... it is easier to go there than when we tried Golds in town ... it is just there ... we don't have to find anyone to sit with kids since mornings at Gold's was crazy and hard to get a spot on machines  , no extra trip anywhere to get to gym or safe walking area to find ....and best of all free ... we are trying to get others to join us and have a few that say they don't have time but will think about it ...
Translab July 2 ,2007

Keri

« Reply #1078 on: August 15, 2011, 06:59:36 pm »
Hi everyone,
I thought I was off the forum for a mere 3 or 4 days, but I guess it's been a couple of weeks. Time flies.
Glad everyone is encouraging each other in the diet / exercise thing.
I'm running and biking still.
Next week I'm heading to south Texas and , though it's been hot/humid in MD, it's really going to be hard for me to keep my motivation up to run when it's Texas hot and sunny.
I'm sure Kay will encourage me or kick my butt or something.
It's great catching up and seeing what y'all are up to!

Keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Kaybo

« Reply #1079 on: August 15, 2011, 10:12:26 pm »
You know it baby but I am NOT running 17 miles with you!! We may be visiting & laughing too much to exercise!!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!