Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 420250 times)

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #990 on: June 25, 2011, 08:19:41 am »
Day Camp is done with no major problems ... lost 3 pounds this week just walking around ... that with my losses and a little gain back after being sick puts me at a total of 10 pounds in past month ... not as much as I would like but better than nothing ...

heel spurs are killing me ... gotta get them removed or at least injected with cortisone ... that helps for 3 - 4 months

next week off then the 3rd through 8th gonna be at Bible Camp ...  not sure what I will be doing other than being with 5th through 8th graders , but was asked to help and offered food and a bed at no charge ... so what the hey ... save a little on groceries , get away from house work , house should stay clean with just Bo here cause he is not as messy as we are   ;D ... and I am sure that working with 5th through 8th graders will get me some exercise in ...

lets go unload the truck that I drove home and parked yesterday ... was just too wiped out to unload it when I got in ...
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

Soundy

« Reply #991 on: June 25, 2011, 08:23:36 am »
PS ... Sara ... I want to be in better shape but for some reason women body builders that get that muscled out just doesn't seem right ... but to each his own ...
Translab July 2 ,2007

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #992 on: June 27, 2011, 09:50:32 am »
Ah the start of a new week. Everyone up and at 'em this morning?
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Soundy

« Reply #993 on: June 27, 2011, 09:56:02 am »
had a pre-dawn walk with the pup down to creek and back .... and several walks around the yard with her ... I thought she was suppose to be the girls dog but I think she is mine ... she is under my desk as I type ... where ever I go she is nearby ...

I think for now Stella is going to be my work out plan ... she is up to 16 pounds ... she is losing the fat puppy look and getting long legged and more streamlined ... I am hoping she stops at 35-40 pounds ...
Translab July 2 ,2007

Kaybo

« Reply #994 on: June 27, 2011, 10:09:26 am »
just got back...started running but that didn't last long...it was just too hot - the heat index now is 100!!

Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

texsooner

« Reply #995 on: June 27, 2011, 11:49:58 am »
Kay, I know exactly what you mean. We did a 62 mile bike ride Saturday morning and by the end, around noon, it was very hot.....this is great training weather for our 100 mile ride in north Texas in August, but that's about all it's great for.

Then yesterday morning around 7:30 a.m., I went to do a 10 mile run, and it turned into something like a 7 mile run/3 mile walk as the heat/humidity had really zapped my energy. It's probably the slowest I've ever taken to cover 10 miles. I sweated so much that when I took my running shirt off it felt really heavy....so much so that when my wife took it out of the laundry basket to stick in the washer, she thought I had jumped in the swimming pool with it on and threw it in there afterwards. Sorry, that was a little gross, but wanted illustrate that if anyone is running in these kind of conditions, you really really need to be smart and make sure you are hydrating before, during and after.

Patrick

3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

Kaybo

« Reply #996 on: June 27, 2011, 12:56:55 pm »
Patrick~
I understand about the sweat, believe me!!  In fact, I could hardly type that last post because I was still trying to cool down and dry off!  I did go farther than my usual route - just walked it instead of running!  I wish we had a pool to jump in, letme tell you!!

K    ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

cindyj

« Reply #997 on: June 27, 2011, 05:24:23 pm »
I haven't read all 67 pages of this post, please forgive me if I'm being repetitive!  :o Are there Metro Atlanta runners/walkers here on the forum? I need some motivation to get up and get going!

Hey, Allison!  I'm here!  Have not been as faithful as I'd like lately, but still trying to plug away.  I am a jog/walk/jog/walker type...been training w/ three other friends and we've done a few 1/2 marathons together - always for a good cause and really helps us stay on track when we are getting ready for an event.  Glad you stopped in here - get moving and then come let us know how you're doing!  It helps us all to hear what others are up to.  I forget what area in Atl you are in?  Perhaps we could meet on one of the Greenways sometime if that would be convenient?

Would love to see you at the Support Group meeting next month (7/23)!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Keri

« Reply #998 on: June 28, 2011, 09:56:09 pm »
i have a hard time running when it gets hot here, and it doens't get as hot as texas. we do get lots of humidity.

good for you, patrick, on the biking. i'm loving biking but not sure i could do 100 miles in texas in august.

sara, crocs work better for hiking than flip flops.

cindy and allison - hope you two can get together. that helps so much.

i've been going more regularly to my marathon training group (last year i skipped a lot). what helps is that there are other slow runners in my pace group and it's actually been fun to go and run (i'm in this training group that has 150+ people and most of them are really fast). tonight, us slow ones decided to start 30 minutes earlier than the rest of the group because it was supposed to rain. we got to our cars just as the big storm hit. everyone else was stuck in it. i felt badly for them and pondered trying to pick some of them up, but i wasn't driving a bus. anyway, i felt a little guilty that we started earlier, but we're usually the ones that finish up way after everyone, so... that was kind of nice for a change!

inspired by sara, i'm trying to also do more exercises like sit ups and push ups. i tried 'the plank' but i hate being still for that long. (not that 30 seconds is really that long...)

it's great to hear what everyone is doing!

keri

1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #999 on: June 29, 2011, 05:13:21 am »
My flip flops are Reebok and have arch support, but I prefer boots for hiking. At the beginning of the  day I had no idea we'd be hiking.

Off to the gym in a few minutes. I'm running later than usual but it's a short (cardio) day.

Keep up the good work!

BTW Keri - 30 seconds is an eternity doing the plank.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 08:05:35 am by saralynn143 »
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #1000 on: June 29, 2011, 07:34:24 am »
Home again. I'm attempting to ramp up my cardio by increasing resistance levels on the elliptical. Also adding a few sets of abs on cardio days to try to speed that up.

I'd like to ask what everyone is doing diet-wise. As you know, I am following Body-for-Life, which recommends six small meals a day, balanced between lean protein and complex carbs, adding as many veggies as you like at least twice. And lots and lots of water. For instance my breakfast was three eggs whites plus one whole egg, scrambled with some onion and mushroom, with a small slice of whole wheat banana bread and a large tumbler of water.

We went to a fish fry last weekend. One of my husband's cousins had lost quite a bit of weight since last time I saw her, so I asked what she is doing. She said she had lost 50 pounds (I don't know how quickly) following the HCG diet and took drops that made her body burn stored fat. HCG sounded familiar so I looked it up on the internet when I got home. The reason HCG sounds familiar is that is the human pregnancy hormone. It can be taken via injection or drops and the diet is very strict - about 500 calories per day.

I can't quite figure that out - I always thought the pregnancy hormone caused women to store fat to provide for the baby, not to burn it. I also can't imagine functioning on 500 calories. It sounds like a starvation diet. I can't deny that she looked great, but I think I'll stick with exercise and a reasonable eating plan.
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

allisjbh

• facebook
« Reply #1001 on: July 01, 2011, 09:15:42 pm »
Hey, Allison!  I'm here!  Have not been as faithful as I'd like lately, but still trying to plug away.  I am a jog/walk/jog/walker type...been training w/ three other friends and we've done a few 1/2 marathons together - always for a good cause and really helps us stay on track when we are getting ready for an event.  Glad you stopped in here - get moving and then come let us know how you're doing!  It helps us all to hear what others are up to.  I forget what area in Atl you are in?  Perhaps we could meet on one of the Greenways sometime if that would be convenient?

Would love to see you at the Support Group meeting next month (7/23)!

Cindy

Hi Cindy,

I live right on the southern edge of the metro atlanta area. Are you north? The Atlanta traffic might as well be an entire mountain range - motivation to cross through it is nil! I actually did walk a lot today at a local park that is fairly shady. I'm tired but it felt good to actually get moving!

I think we will be at the beach that week, but it sure would be nice to touch base face-to-face with others from Georgia.

Allison
ALLISON
2.8cm x 3.8cm AN translab 12/31/09 Emory Atl Drs Olson & Mattox;  right facial paralysis: "... (facial) nerve remarkably thin..." EMG 8/10; gold weight, tarrs, & browlift 1/11 Neufeld; facial sling implant & left eye bleph 4/11 Yellin

Jill Marie

« Reply #1002 on: July 01, 2011, 11:47:12 pm »
Happy 4th of July to all, hope you have some fun, get some exercise and relax too!

Sara - How did your car turn out after the hail?  Sounds like you are really keeping up with the work outs, thanks for the motivation.  Aren't the rail to trail walks great, we have quite a few here in Washington and Idaho and they make really great places to walk & bike ride.  As for your diet, sounds great, have often wondered about eating smaller meals more often, makes sense to fuel the body with less food more often, wish I could follow it too!  I'm sure I could work harder on it if I put my mind to it, however work doesn't really help with that.  Right now I'm lucky if I get to eat lunch because we are so busy. 

Keri - You would have liked, perhaps even loved our vacation, would have loved to have you join us.  Details to follow.  Sure hope your marathon training works out for you, life has its way of interfering with our goals so do what you can and don't worry about what doesn't happen.  I love the slow still gets you there, as you found out during the rain storm, starting early but going slow still gets you there before the storm.  I know what you mean about not wanting to get going on a walk, run or bike ride but once you get going and then of course when you're done you're glad you did, will explain more later. 

Soundy - Congratulations on having to deal with the pants slipping, who needs the scale to tell you when you loose weight when the pants can do it better.  I'm always happy to read about all the good things you do for your family & others.

Cindy -   Sorry to hear that the house hunting is keeping you off the exercise wagon, perhaps the house hunting and worry about finding a place is keeping you is shape?  From what you've posted I think you are doing more than you think, just because it doesn't feel like a workout it doesn't mean your not getting exercise.

Kay -  Glad to hear you found a way to get some walking, running & time with your Mom.  Sometimes its better not to keep track of the time or distance you walk or run.  I know I like to know how far and how long, but sometimes it's best just to do it and be glad you did.

Jan - The exercise wagon is waiting outside your front door, come join us.  I know how hard it is to get on it and stay on it, I'm a creature of habit, if I'm on the wagon I'll be there a long time, if I fall off then I stay off.

Clarice - Congrats on the 1/3 mile, how are you doing?  Yep, you just had surgery but if the weather is nice go out and enjoy it, Hubby in tow of course.

Allison - We would love to help motivate you, we post from all over the US but drop right into your home when you read our posts. 

Our vacation went better then I thought it would considering how unprepared I was for the bike rides.  We left on Saturday the 18th, by the time we got to our camp we had enough time to set up, cook dinner(hubby cooked), eat and watch some DVDs.  Sunday we headed out on our bikes, it was overcast but didn't think it would rain.  Nice ride, flat and no wind or rain, decided to go farther than planned, shouldn't have, the rain started and wouldn't let up, decided to turn around, when we got back to where we were it stopped raining, it was like Mother Nature was trying to tell us not to push to far the first day.  The nice thing about bike riding is that by the time you get back to camp you're dry.  We rode 23.78 miles that day, but who's counting?  Monday we drove to where we rode to on Sunday, then headed to the end of the Trail of the Coeur d'Alenes.  Luckily no one told me that the last 5 miles was all uphill or I wouldn't have enjoyed the first part of the ride so much.  The sun was out and we were riding on a nice flat paved trail often through small towns where we enjoyed checking out the homes, gardens, etc.  The bonus came when I got to coast back down the hill for 5 miles, that's when I got to enjoy the beauty of the trees, river & waterfalls.  That made it all worth it!  We rode 30.37 miles that day.  We took a couple days off and drove over a beautiful pass into Montana.  The next day we moved to another campground so we could finish riding the trail.  On Thursday we headed out on what we thought would be an easy ride, 10 miles out and back, all went well then I decided to go another 10 so we could take the next day off and do some hiking with the dogs, then finish the trail the next day.  About 2 miles into the next 10 miles the wind started up, we kept going.  Got to our destination, ate some jerky and granola and hoped the wind would stop.  It did, then started up again, blowing in the opposite direction so the ride back was against the wind as well.  We stopped about 10 miles later for some well deserved ice cream, figured we had/would burn off all the calories.  Then 1/4 mile from camp I shifted gears and parts started flying. I derailed my derailer, bike locked up.  Told someone about it the next day and they said I was lucky I didn't sail over the top of my bike.  Rode 42.14 miles that day.  What to do now, we had 8 miles to go to finish the trail, it must be done.  Hubby tried to fix my bike but didn't have all the parts he needed.  THEN he remembered the DAHONS, our bikes that we take with us to ride around the camp.  They are folding bikes, look like a clown would ride in the circus.  Saturday morning we headed out on the DAHONS, once again I was really, really glad that know one told me it was a 5 mile ride uphill to our destination.  There were times when I didn't think I would make it, then someone rode past us and told us to water the bikes so they would grow, guess that made me mad as I started pedaling like crazy and passing people, even my husband.  We stopped a couple of times but finally made it.  We took some pictures and did some shopping.  Hubby bought me a cute little horn so I could honk to let the other bikes know I was going to pass them up.  Once again I got to enjoy the beauty of the trail as I flew back down the hill.   We rode 16.5 miles, for a total of 112.79 miles.  For those that have fallen off the wagon I just want to say, I fell off the wagon too but ended up getting on the train.  I know we all get frustrated with what we can and can't do both because of our ages and our tumors but I want to let you know that sometimes it's not our age or tumor that keeps us down it's our attitude.  I can do more now then I could ten years ago.  I can remember riding my bike with my husband, we went on a 20 mile ride, I could barely walk when we got home, not to mention doing anything else.  Last week I rode for 40 miles, mostly against the wind.  When we got back to camp I helped make dinner, took a shower & did the dishes and slept very well.  Anxious to do it again soon, NO, but glad I did.  Have a great weekend, Jill 8)

Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #1003 on: July 02, 2011, 09:51:46 am »
Jill .....

All I can say is WOW!  You are one amazing woman!!  Terrific attitude!  ..... and I agree, that is probably the most essential part of the whole recovery to full energy process.  You are an inspiration to all of us!

I have had waaaaaaay too much exercise this week, chasing a 2-year-old and a 6-year-old granddaughters.  Unfortunately not the most productive type exercise.  Must get back on my normal exercise routine next week.  No more excuses.  Fully recovered from surgery ..... except for the ever present fatigue walls.

I think I can.  I think I can.  I think I can. ...........

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

allisjbh

• facebook
« Reply #1004 on: July 02, 2011, 08:46:02 pm »
High five time for me- I climbed to the top of Stone Mountain this morning! I wondered if I was going to spell out (it was so hot), but I kept on trucking.  ;D 8)
ALLISON
2.8cm x 3.8cm AN translab 12/31/09 Emory Atl Drs Olson & Mattox;  right facial paralysis: "... (facial) nerve remarkably thin..." EMG 8/10; gold weight, tarrs, & browlift 1/11 Neufeld; facial sling implant & left eye bleph 4/11 Yellin