Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 418815 times)

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #765 on: March 22, 2011, 08:24:53 am »
Just home from the gym. Did a lower body workout today. I am on the final week of my second twelve-week Body for Life challenge. Although with all of the snow days and illnesses it has been more a practice for maintenance than a challenge. That's OK though since maintenance is key to the rest of my life! I am going to do a third challenge with my two girls this summer.
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #766 on: March 22, 2011, 10:16:10 pm »
Not only have I fallen completely off the exercise wagon, I think the wagon has actually run me over  :P

Got to get my sh*t together VERY soon!!!

Good work all you guys who have been sticking with it.  I hope to join you in the near future.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jill Marie

« Reply #767 on: March 22, 2011, 10:50:45 pm »
Cindy - How about we trade, I worked out last week so you work out this week? 

Sara - Winter can really take a toll on exercising with being sick and of course the snow, but you are so right about this being about maintaining a way of life, exercising is like doing the laundry, not something we love to do but it needs to be done.  Hope doing the program with your girls makes it fun!

Jan - Sorry to hear the wagon got you, hopefully it rolls on over you so you can get up, dust yourself off and get some exercise!

Work has been exhausting, more customers than normal and new changes to work with as we have a new boss, so last week I rode the bike for an hour but skipped the weights.  This week I decided it was time to catch up on some things around the house so yesterday I cleaned the house REALLY well, was pretty tired when I got done so I called it a workout.  Today I bought the office supplies at Costco, loaded 10 packages of paper towels, 2 of T.P., 3 cases of coffee and several gallons of cleaning supplies onto the cart and to my truck, called it a workout.  Tomorrow I'm skipping working out again as I'm going to Costco for myself and I plan on buying quite a bit, hauling it home and putting it away, another workout!  Oh yeah, Sunday we walked to the store, took us an hour round trip.  Then we headed out at 4 to go Geo-caching, didn't get home tell 7, I'm guessing that we walked at least 2 hours the other time we spent looking for the caches.  I was so sore that night that I had to sleep on a heating pad, I figure that was 2 workouts in one! 

Our temps are warmer but we're getting lots of rain and wind so not doing a lot outside, hope that changes soon, can't wait to ride the bike outside again.  When the Spring weather hits I'm sure we will soon find ourselves outside doing all kinds of exercising, lots that we don't even think about,  gardening, mowing, golfing, fishing, walking around the block to see the flowers, etc.  Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #768 on: March 23, 2011, 05:28:50 am »
Jan, if it is any consolation, i woke up this morning feeling as though a wagon had run over me. How is the unpacking coming along? That is a workout in itself.

left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

Kaybo

« Reply #769 on: March 23, 2011, 06:19:54 am »
Although I didn't do anything last week (kids home on SB), I went to the gym both Monday and Tuesday of this week.  I weighed in & even though I didn't lose any weight, thankfully I didn't gain any either on my week of no workouts - eat everything!  My husband even brought me a dozen donuts!!  I only did weights yesterday because I was going to the hospital to visit a stroke patient and knew I'd be walking a lot!  Today, I am not going to make it to the gym as I am teaching Addi's science class - the brain and nerves!!  I thought that I could be a walking, talking show'n'tell!!

Gotta run!

Have a good day everyone!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

cindyj

« Reply #770 on: March 23, 2011, 11:27:32 am »
Cindy - How about we trade, I worked out last week so you work out this week? 

Jill

Deal!  Did my part this morning - did a 3 mile jog/walk with my training buddies - we're doing a 5k this Saturday. 

Signed up for a Cardio for old people class and Zumba for old people class - wasn't called that exactly, but that's what it meant.  So, though I've heard Zumba can be rough on the knees, I'm hoping it may be a "kinder, gentler" type of Zumba ;)  Signed up for the Tai Chi class also, but it doesn't start til May...

Jan, don't be too hard on yourself, but do try to get back to it as soon as you can!  Even just 15 minutes or so if you can squeeze it in - will help w/ the stress too.  Know it's always hard to get going again - so, we'll keep bugging you about it, ok ;D

Sara, are you ok?

K!  You are doing so well!  Keep it up!

Keri, when is your race?  Soon, right?

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #771 on: March 23, 2011, 01:07:45 pm »
Yes, I'm fine. Just trying to figure out why my triceps and shoulders should be sore after a lower body workout. Calves and quads I understand. It's the final week of this challenge so I went and did cardio today even though I really, really did not want to.
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

Keri

« Reply #772 on: March 23, 2011, 09:26:29 pm »
good for you, sara. i don't thinkk i've ever heard you say, 'i didn't want to!' not that it's encouraging to hear you didn't want to but did, but, well, that is encouraging!

jan - i agree with what cindy just said. set your expectations to just do a little... then it's easier to do a bit more. and you'll feel better once you did. i'm glad you keep checking in here and are keeping us updated. hope you like your new place!

yes, i do have a next 'race.' this saturday. national marathon (who's bright idea was it for me to change from the half to the full??) i always get a bit scared... kind of a 'what if i can't do it this time?' kind of feeling. but, there are some positives about this one. first of all, it isn't nearly as hilly as the baltimore one i've done a couple of times. and the weather... that's sometimes the most important thing... the weather will be like 40 or 50, which is GREAT! i'm ready for spring and all that too, but if we had hot and muggy (like this same race was last year) then that would be the pits. (just ask patrick!)
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Keri

« Reply #773 on: March 23, 2011, 09:31:51 pm »
regarding the marathon..

i'm debating whether i'll post my 'goals' like patrick did... the minimums and the hopeful ones! OK, sure... here goes...

*that i'll finish (believe me, even with experienced and fast marathoners, that's not always a given).
*that i'll beat jared (the subway guy; he ran NYC marathon in 5 something; i wanted to beat him when i did richmond last fall, but i didn't) !

actually here's my real goal: that i would PR (personal record) i.e., do my best time. I think that would be about 5:08.
for an maybe impractical goal... would like to beat 5:05 and if i really want to get lofty, to break 5 hours would be GREAT!! but, probably unlikely. it doesn't sound like much to knock 5 or 10 minutes off your time, but it really isn't easy...without totally devoting yourself to training and speedwork and all that. i really don't make running / training my whole life. not by a long shot. like you all know, it's hard for me to just make it out the door sometimes for a short run!

so, think of my when you wake up, when you have your breakfast and coffee... when you have lunch... when you take your nap.. i'll still be running!

i'll keep you posted!
keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #774 on: March 24, 2011, 05:33:48 pm »
Have been walking some but mostly just holding onto wagon trying not to fall under wheels .

Saturday is March of Dimes walk . Youngest daughter signed us up to walk with school team
and I just found out this on Tuesday . I like lots of prep time . Not that I would have prepped .
I just like to know .

So 5K Saturday and skip a weekend then 5K or more on the 9th of April . Or more if I feel like
going 10K when I finish one round of laid out course.

Pollen is knocking the snot out of me . had a sneezing fit earlier that led to having to wash a hydrocodone
down with a strong cup of coffee ... now instead of doing laundry I am sitting here at my desk just
trying to not fall asleep... going to have to find something that is going to control hay fever better...
zyrtec has stopped working for me  :(
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #775 on: March 24, 2011, 06:34:51 pm »
Soundy, have you tried Claritin? I've been working at our church rummage sale this week. I suspect there is lots of mold in the items that have been brought in and that is my major allergen.

Last cardio of this challenge tomorrow, and then a week off. Still debating on what to do while I await a new challenge this summer.

Keri, we'll be thinking about you this weekend. Let us know how it goes as soon as you can.
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

cindyj

« Reply #776 on: March 25, 2011, 01:28:41 pm »
Good luck tomorrow, Keri!  Eating your pasta tonight? ;D

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Keri

« Reply #777 on: March 25, 2011, 08:32:44 pm »
yes, ate my pasta!

tomorrow will be quite crowded in DC... cherry blossoms out (+ a million or so tourists and locals); marathon/half marathon/relay which draws thousands. have to get up at 4:45am! yikes.
i really have to make myself go to bed before midnight tonight.

congrats on all the 5K's this weekend! hope everyone has a great weekend. i think we're getting SNOW on sunday! crazy.

keri
My head feels weird!!

Jill Marie

« Reply #778 on: March 25, 2011, 10:04:56 pm »
Keri,

I'm to late to wish you luck tomorrow in meeting your goals as it's 9 p.m. on the west coast so midnight in D.C.  I will be sending good thoughts your way before I head to bed and more good thoughts when I get up, long after you have started your marathon.  Hope all goes well and that you enjoy yourself! Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

Kaybo

« Reply #779 on: March 26, 2011, 05:54:29 am »
thinking of you...I know you are doing GREAT!!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!