Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 421096 times)

Keri

Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #735 on: February 26, 2011, 10:19:46 am »
good morning and happy weekend!
ok, i didn't do my short run yesterday in the morning, but did it around the usual 6:00pm time when i'm supposed to be cooking dinner hour. but oh well.
today i didn't do 17, but i did 16.
now i have to do a bunch of music stuff for a church event i'm playing for tonight that i'm not ready for. so much for a relaxing weekend! but that's okay, it'll be fun.
have a great weekend.
keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

cindyj

« Reply #736 on: February 26, 2011, 11:10:20 am »
Only 16, Keri  ;)    Good for you for getting out there and doing it - don't know how you do all those miles all by yourself - you have much, much better discipline than me! 

My "group" got back out for a couple of miles this week - mainly walked them, though.  I did finally do some weights at the house - had been a LONG time since I lifted a dumbell.  Did the plank also.  Wow, really felt it the next day - was a "good" sore feeling, though, if you know what I mean :) 

Beautiful weather down here - hope you all are enjoying your weekend!  Soundy, you feeling better?

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Jill Marie

« Reply #737 on: February 26, 2011, 09:30:00 pm »
Jan -  Hope you get settled in soon so life can sorta get back to normal.  Spring will be here soon so you can get out and enjoy your new neighborhood

Soundy - Congrats on winning the Wii competition, sorry to hear your sick again, hope you're feeling better now

Cindy - Yep, get the good sore, I try not to overdue it so that I'm so sore I can't do what I want to do, the good sore lets you know you are doing enough to improve your strength, glad you enjoyed the 1/2 marathon

Sara - Glad to hear the weather and being sick time is over, will take a few workouts to get back where you were but you will be there in know time considering how well you were doing before you got sick

Keri- true you didn't do what you planned but I think doing 16 more that covers it, as for your son, will be thinking about you, my son was in Afghanistan about 3 or 4 years ago so I know how you feel, keep busy, send him emails & goodies, if you can give me his address I would like to send him something

This weeks work out routine revolves around staying warm, yes people it is still WINTER!!  I've been riding the bike 50 minutes at a higher level then I had been and doing weights.  Thursday I came home and shoveled snow and hauled wood.  Right now it is 18 degrees, we had subzero temps at night for three nights and highs in the teens three days.  Should get more snow tonight and the next couple of days.  Usually go geo-caching on Sundays for fun and exercise but the weather might cancel that.   :(
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #738 on: February 27, 2011, 09:43:29 am »
Great to see that others are sticking to their exercise commitments.  Good for you!!  ;D

As for me, outside of lugging boxes and furniture, I've been pretty much slacking off.  Fast food is also taking a toll - it's too easy a solution to the question "What's for dinner, mom?"  Have to get out of that  routine  :P

Am about 1/2 way through the unpacking of the boxes; phone, TV, and (thankfully) internet are now all installed.  Still have to figure out how to get my wireless printer to work though.  I know I have the instructions somewhere, but not sure which box they are currently in  ::)

May be looking into a new health club.  I love the one I currently belong to, but it's a little far from our new place.  There's another one closer to us, so when I get a chance I may check it out. 

Keep up the good work everyone!

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #739 on: February 28, 2011, 06:30:46 am »
Great to hear from you, Jan. I'm glad the move is behind you and hope the rest of your unpacking goes well. You'll be back in the exercise swing soon enough - let us know how you like that new gym.
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Keri

« Reply #740 on: February 28, 2011, 07:44:09 am »
ditto, jan, to all that sara said. moving is such a huge task. i hope you all love your new place.

cindy - i know it looks like i'm disciplined, but i'm not...i don't get out and run much at all UNLESS i have a marathon in my future. that's the only thing that keeps me disciplined! the thought of just going out and running 16 or anything long is just UGH unless it's part of the training plan. then right before the marathon, i always think, 'WHY did i sign up for this?' (i get kind of nervous) but then when i'm done it's like, 'OK when's the next one?" last fall i did two 4 - 5 weeks apart; i don't think i'll do that again. maybe one in the fall and one in the spring. so my one coming up is March 26. National Marathon here in DC. next time you train for running a race, keep the plank thing up - i really feel that the ab or core workouts really do help the running.

jill marie - good for you on the biking. i'll commiserate with you when my son deploys. i have a group of online USAF mommas that are supportive (we all 'went through" BMT together), but i'm the first of our group who has a son going. well..this could be a whole other thread...

i get to take an exercise break today!! yesterday i biked about an hour.. it was a nice, sunny day (for a change). today's supposed to thunderstorm.

get / keep moving everyone!!!

keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Kaybo

« Reply #741 on: February 28, 2011, 08:24:04 am »
Way to go everyone!  After not going to the gym for about a week, I MADE myself go last Friday and already have my workout clothes on now to go after I drop Addi off at school.  Her new schedule - going at almost 9 for the regular school day instead of 6:30 for BB practice - is really messing with MY schedule!!  LOL!  I can't complain too much - that is why I stay home!!  I've got to get serious and drop some weight and get in shape, though.  I am having surgery in April and I want to be in the best shape I can be before I have to take a couple of weeks off!! 

Supposed to be almost 80 here today - hope it is nice where you are!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Kaybo

« Reply #742 on: February 28, 2011, 10:17:52 am »
OK - so I did go to the gym and I am very proud of myself!   ::)  I did the weight circuit for my arms (did more chins!) and then I did 30 minutes on the ARC.  I know not to put everything in store for the calorie count on there but I do use it for a guide as to how I am doing.  Previously, I had only done 440 cal/30 minutes but today my goal was 450 - I pushed myself and got 485!  Snaps for me!!

Also, I had received an e-mail from the club that they were doing a FREE weight challenge.  Well, apparently, that is a CORPORATE thing & our club is not doing it - they are doing one you have to PAY for because you get training.  You know I am a penny-pincher!  Anyway, I told the trainer that I just needed some accountability and someone to weigh me and she said she would do that each week with the group that is paying!!  Y'all have to help me too!  I am down at least 4 pounds from where I started - but probably more since they have had problems with the original scales.

K   ;D
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 11:03:35 am by Kaybo »
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

moe

« Reply #743 on: February 28, 2011, 10:56:22 am »
Just checking in to see how y'all are doing!
Keep it up! Keep moving ;D
I'm out of commission with my brow lift/canthoplasty last week but am thinking of dragging myself to the WII for some yoga...
Kay~ you go girl! I'm surprised you don't burn a bunch of calories just from all the running around you do :D (thanks again for making that special trip to meet me while I was in Houston!)

Jan~ watch your back with all your boxes and unpacking. That'll get you.

~Soundy, hope you are feeling better...
06/06-Translab 3x2.5 vascular L AN- MAMC,Tacoma WA
Facial nerve cut,reanastomosed.Tarsorrhaphy
11/06. Gold weight,tarsorrhaphy reversed
01/08- nerve transposition-(12/7) UW Hospital, Seattle
5/13/10 Gracilis flap surgery UW for smile restoration :)
11/10/10 BAHA 2/23/11 brow lift/canthoplasty

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
« Reply #744 on: March 01, 2011, 07:12:42 pm »
feeling better ... have a nagging cough that is hanging on but it will pass

we have a horizontal climbing wall at school ... I played on it yesterday ... there are no harnesses on you ... the top edge is about 10 feet off the ground so my feet were only about 3 feet off the mats ... it is about 20 feet long ... the coach puts targets in the form of bean bags or balls at different points and you crawl across the wall taking down targets as you go ... I tried 3 times and completed it twice ... today I know that I was climbing around supporting my weight with mostly my arms and to a lesser degree my feet ... he had it straight up and down but it can be adjusted tipped in to make it easier or tipped out to make it harder ... I  don't think I could hack it any harder... it was fun even if it left me winded ...

April 16th me and the girls are walking in another 5K ... it is being put on my the Youth Leadership Group at the high school ... they have been raising money for Youth oriented charities ... St Jude’s , Vanderbilt Children’s Hospital , our local Child Development Center and the like ... I have plenty time to get in better shape
3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #745 on: March 02, 2011, 02:15:17 pm »
Three for three workouts this week. Increased my lower body weights this week and my glutes are sore. Yes, I'm whining!

Keep up the good work,
Sara
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09

cindyj

« Reply #746 on: March 02, 2011, 02:46:45 pm »
Everyone is doing really well!  Keep it up!  Bathing suit season is right around the corner :o 

I had some flesh taken off my leg the other day (skin cancer stuff which I'm prone to), so only walking this week.  Guess I could do some upper body weights, but I haven't...to be honest...and I just ate some cookies...to be honest...

Went on an overdue visit to my gyno last week and in discussing bone density and my "compromised" balance, she strongly suggested I do Tai Chi...she recommends it to all her patients.  Said Americans approach things by trying to build strong bones, but in the East their focus is on flexibility and balance - idea being, you won't break a hip if you don't fall down  ;D  I've always wanted to try it, so think I'll sign up at my local park and rec for a class...

Brad & I still taking dance lessons once a week and then dancing on the weekend - still loving it!  You guys should give it a try!

Cindy

PS - Anyone watching Biggest Loser?  Hate to see Arthur have to go home...

rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Keri

« Reply #747 on: March 06, 2011, 07:51:02 pm »
cindy, i hope you're okay...   i do commend you on your variety of walking/running/dancing/ tai chi (or however you spell it) etc!  and, kay GOOD FOR YOU! keep us posted.

i got to see my son before he deployed ! while i was waiting at the airport, i thought that maybe i'll go for a run or walk. well, none of that happened, but i did get to see him for a long layover.

i have a marathon in three weeks (i had originally signed up for the half, and figured if  i could get in 8 or so saturdays of long runs, i could 'convert' to the full). well, i've been doing that, so i did switch over officially to the full. it will be here in DC. so saturday i ran 20 miles (the big training run 3 weeks before the marathon). usually our running group runs on a path down into DC near the potomac river and then back up. i 'did my own thing' and had a really nice run. started north of DC, in bethesda, ran down a popular path where you end up by the potomac, ran by the lincoln memorial and across the bridge to arlington cemetary (i didn't run in the cemetary), then along the potomac past the airport. it was all along the river and a lot of fun. i timed it out so i'd finish by the airport and could take the metro back. it was fun, and a nice different thing to do. it's certainly not something i want to do on a regular basis (huge time investment to run a 'point to point'). glad to get it over with. next sat i just have to run maybe 15, then 10 the following, then the marathon. then i'm done with really long runs until the summer and will try to do some more biking. usually i do a fall marathon with summer training. a spring marathon can be difficult to train for (getting up to go run when it's 20 degrees and planning around snow, etc), but also, the upside is not running for hours when it's hot and humid and yuck.

have a good week!
keri
My head feels weird!!

Kaybo

« Reply #748 on: March 06, 2011, 08:50:40 pm »
...just 15, maybe 10 - no biggie!!  Hee, Hee!!

I'm going to increase my time on the ARC tomorrow to 45 minutes...I'm not really "dieting" but for as much/hard as I am working out, I want to more results. A lady at the gym commented that she thought I was losing weight - not so much so she thinks I'm toning up more. That's really great, but I need to be a BIG LOSER first!

Keri- so glad you got to spend so much time with your son!

;D
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

saralynn143

• MVD diary
« Reply #749 on: March 07, 2011, 05:36:43 am »
Kaybo, I highly recommend Body-for-LIFE, the program I am doing. It is a combination of modified diet and exercise. I spend less time in the gym now than I used to, with better results. If you think you might be interested, check to see if your library has Bill Phillips' book outlining the program.
left side facial paresis
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09