Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 421131 times)

Kaybo

Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #750 on: March 07, 2011, 06:41:37 am »
We have it...Dave did it a few years ago. Maybe we'll try it again - he REALLY liked it. We have the cookbook too & love some of the recipes!

;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Keri

« Reply #751 on: March 10, 2011, 04:06:16 pm »
where is everyone??

it monsoon rained here today so no running for me. my goal is to run in the morning (friday) and a long but not as long as last week long run on saturday. if it's nice sunday i hope to bike around a little.

enjoying the rainy weather here today (as long as my basement doens't flood - so far no problems). really is napping weather.

holler at me if i don't run in the MORNING tomorrow.

thank you.
keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Kaybo

« Reply #752 on: March 10, 2011, 05:13:02 pm »
I have worked out everyday this week except Wednesday (& that was because I was home waiting for a repairman) and plan to go tomorrow.  I've tried to really step it up and am now doing weights and 45 minutes of cardio everyday....I'll see if I get any results...I sure am working out hard and have LOTS of SMELLY clothes!! 

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jill Marie

« Reply #753 on: March 10, 2011, 10:00:04 pm »
Hi all,

Jan - Just remember, fast food and moving boxes workout is only temporary, once you get settled you will get back to exercising like you like to.  Spring is just around the corner.

Keri - I think most of us our disciplined by goals not day to day I should do this because it's good for me.  I'm exercising so I can enjoy the bike rides and hikes on our vacation.  Feel free to talk about your son being deployed anytime you want or ask questions, more then happy to help.  My son will be rejoining the Army in the next few weeks.  I promise to HOLLER at you if you don't get up and get going tomorrow!

Kay - Please remind us in April when you are going to have the surgery so we can support you.  Way to go on stepping up your workout, as you say it will help you while you recuperate after the surgery.  It's easier to get back at it if you are going strong before the surgery.  Smelly clothes is a good sign, sometimes I have to wash my sons clothes twice after a workout.  

Moe- Did you do the WII Yoga, if so, what's it like?  

Soundy - I don't care if the wall only leaves your feet 3 feet off the floor it's still hard work, my upper body strength sucks, you must be doing pretty good with that.

Sara - Whining is allowed when you earn it so go ahead and whine.

Cindy - First off you get demerits for mentioning bathing suit season!  Hope the skin cancer issue is ok, I had some tissue removed a few years ago and all turned out fine, hope yours did as well.  I'm taking back the demerits since you were honest about eating the cookies!  I like the Tai Chi idea, so often we get hurt not because we fall but how we fall or try and keep ourselves from falling.  

Was a bit unhappy this week as I noticed that the waistband on my pants seemed tighter, then it hit me, my waist line is decreasing faster than the stomach so the pants feel tighter because the waist is smaller, this has happened before, can't wait for the stomach to shrink more too!

Jill 8)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 12:28:40 am by Jill Marie »
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #754 on: March 11, 2011, 06:23:51 am »
Here is a story that nobody but this group will appreciate. I am in need of new exercise togs and target had some really cute pants on clearance. I flipped through the mediums looking for a long (I am just over 5'8" and all of my height is in my legs) but to no avail. There was, however, one pair of small longs. I figured I would take them home and try them on and bring them back if they did not fit. But they did! A little tighter than I am used to, but they are those fitted pants that flare out a bit at the bottom so they are supposed to be snug. I'm pretty excited!

This BFL challenge has been more of a maintenance period with all of the snow days, sick days and whatnot, but I have definitely been maintaining and maybe even losing a little more. My middle daughter wants to do it with me next time and my eldest daughter wants to resume this summer when she is home from Vietnam, so I need to decide whether to start a new challenge in April or keep in maintenance until summer.

Keep up the good work, everyone!

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

cindyj

« Reply #755 on: March 11, 2011, 12:41:21 pm »
Yes, I'm fine - a pretty good chunk taken off my leg, but not as large as the chunk taken off my arm a year or so ago...but all the margins were clear, so I'm good.  Still have a couple more spots they need to check, but that's par for the course for me...not a big deal as long as I keep getting checked...hope everyone gets checked periodically (young or old) - my two sons both had pre-cancerous spots removed before they were 18 yrs old.  It's not just blonde, blue-eyed, fair-skinned people either...

Keri, did you run?  If not, considered yourself hollered at!

Sara, that's great to be able to really see your results in those new workout pants!  Makes it all worthwhile, huh?  I still need to check that program out - you keep inspiring me and then I don't follow up and check it out...

Keep it up, Kaybo!  You will definitely see results...and don't you just feel better, anyway, after you've done a good workout!

Looks like an awesome weekend down here - hope all of you have nice weather also and can get out to enjoy it (and burn some calories while you're at it :) )!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Keri

« Reply #756 on: March 11, 2011, 01:19:58 pm »
please, holler away. i'm moping around today. i need to get my butt out the door and then i'll feel better.

i'm doing alright for the most part, but want to hear from my son in afghanistan (he may be there, he may be on the way, he may not be there for a couple of more days). but then.. it's kind of a paradox in itself... that you want to hear that your son got to afghanistan safely. . . well, i know many are praying and i appreciate everyone's support.  jill marie.. i'll ask you more stuff later.

tomorrow i'm going to need some accoutability too. i need to run 14 miles; usually i do this at 7:00am but i don't have childcare arranged for my daughter (she's 21 but autistic and can't be alone). so i'll need to do the run later in the day, and once the day gets going, it's hard to get motivated to go run 2 1/2 hours. but i have 2 weeks till marathon so i've got to do it.

i wish y'all were her now in person and could kick my mopey _$$ ! if you could just see me, sitting here in my jammies, at 2:15pm, lamenting that i haven't run yet, that i haven't heard from my son yet... blah blah blah! good thing i work from home, but even if i do work and i'm still in my dang jammes, i feel like i haven't DONE anything.

then i feel bad that i'm complaining after all the terrible devastation in japan.... so sad and horrible.
OK, I'm tired of whining. i'm getting myself out the door in the next 10 minutes. i'll report back.

thank you !! glad i could vent !!
keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Kaybo

« Reply #757 on: March 11, 2011, 02:45:25 pm »
KERI-
GET YOUR BUTT UP AND AT LEAST GET YOUR WORKOUT CLOTHES ON...NOW!!!

K   ;D
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #758 on: March 11, 2011, 05:51:26 pm »
Spring IS right around the corner here, but I know Chicago well weather enough to know we'll still get the occasional snow storm for a while.  That said, I've managed to take a walk at lunch time 2 days in a row.  My office is about 2 blocks from Lake Michigan and I love walking there; I even pass a dog beach - today there were 6 dogs in the water.

I'm committed to starting to work out again and eat better starting Monday - if not before.  I plan to check out a health club closer to my house this weekend if time, and the boxes that still need unpacking, permit.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Jill Marie

« Reply #759 on: March 11, 2011, 09:12:00 pm »
Keri I know it's hard to wait and wonder but I'm sure your son(if memory serves me correctly his name is Scott) wouldn't like it if he new that what he is doing is keeping you from what you want/should be doing.  Don't forget that being worn out from doing exercise helps you relax as well.  When you write him a letter you can tell him all about the things you have been doing, he will LOVE to hear about it.  Looking forward to hearing what you did as well.  Jill Marie ;D
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #760 on: March 12, 2011, 07:48:03 am »
Sorry, in my own little world here and didn't read all the recent posts to this thread before I posted my own.

Kaybo?  Surgery? 

Keri - prayers to you; hope you hear from your son soon.  My nephew is going to boot camp (Marines) in a matter of weeks and my sister is really on edge.  I can only imagine what military parents - and spouses - experience.

Saralynn, great news about the pants - a definite sign of good progress.

And for all the other posts I don't have time to comment on - I'll be back.  Have to take a cat to the vet for shots and pick up a dresser for my son's room.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Keri

« Reply #761 on: March 12, 2011, 09:42:17 am »
hey everyone,  i did get myself out the door for a run yesterday.

today (saturday mornings) is when i usually do my long run. today i stayed at home - no childcare. but i got the phone call from scott!! funny, the caller ID said 'Florida!' he was on someone's cell phone. i could hear him really well, i don't think he could hear me so much. anyway, those phone calls give your days missing them some  added 'ooomph' Iwhich will help me run today, Jill Marie!)

Jan - there's a ton of support with other military moms and that's really helpful... it gets you through the boot camp phase and then through the other stuff as well. will he be going to paris island? or i think they have another one out west (california)? our prayers will be with him and family as he transitions into this part of his life. i mean, you get scared at times and all that but really PROUD of them too. amazing changes they go through.

ok i've thoroughly hijacked my own thread. i still gotta gotta run my 14 miles today. i'll report back. i will do it!! at least the weather is nice - there will probably be a gazillion people out there. but that's ok. beats 90 and humid or 15 and freeeeezing.

good for you kay on your progress!! jan - i hope the new gym is one you really like as much as the other and you get to check it out this weekend. sara - so glad your daughters are going to join you in the BFL. one of these days i've got to get my daughter to run with me. ...one of these days!

have a great weekend!
keri
My head feels weird!!

Keri

« Reply #762 on: March 13, 2011, 08:18:06 pm »
i did it (14). just reporting back.
hope everyone had a good weekend.
have a good week!
My head feels weird!!

Kaybo

« Reply #763 on: March 13, 2011, 09:15:58 pm »
WAY TO GO, KERI!!

K   ;D
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

cindyj

« Reply #764 on: March 22, 2011, 06:58:06 am »
How's it going everyone?  Very quiet over here...hope you're all busy burning calories :D  I did very little in the way of exercise last week, but trying to get back on track this week.  So, of course, I look to this thread for motivation :-*

Happy Spring, all!  I'm very happy it's here 8)

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings