Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 421077 times)

Soundy

• prophetic picture done by my 5 year old, June'04
Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #795 on: April 08, 2011, 09:37:33 am »
This week has been crazy weather wise...

Monday we had severe storms and tornadoes ... bright blue not a cloud in the sky on Tuesday and Wednesday ... scatter clouds with
a few pop up showers Thursday and today it is raining a bit then the sun peeks out ... tomorrow they are calling for rain in the afternoon
and say rain or shine the walk is on ... the girls are  planning on doing the whole 10K ... and since under 18 can't walk without a guardian
present I guess I am too  :( ...was hoping to drop out at 5 ... maybe I can bribe them with pizza , ice cream or diamonds  ;D ...

I just don't feel like I can complete 10K ...I  have been lazy about exercising lately ...Hannah (13) has been going Wii mad and will jog 5 - 10 miles every
night in place  :o  ...the Wii keeps telling her maybe she has had enough and one day shut her out saying enough was enough ...but Wii put it
more politely than that ... she just made herself a new profile so she could keep walking and playing games ...before she gets on the Wii she does her
PT and stretches ...she is primed and ready to roll  ... maybe she will be my inspiration to keep on moving ...Sarah says 10 but I think her body will
say 5 is fine ...

Wish us luck ...suppose to be about 50 at start time with a few clouds ...

3mm AN discovered Aug 2004
Translab July 2 ,2007
3.2cm x 2.75cm x 3.3cm @ time of surgery

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #796 on: April 08, 2011, 04:57:18 pm »
Well, does walking down long hospital corridors count??!   ::)  My husband was hospitalized for a couple of days this week to try and figure out why he passed out on Tuesday.  His room was at the far end of the building so I really walked farther than I have in a long time ..... and not under very relaxed circumstances.  He is fine now.  They decided it was the result of a change in blood pressure medication, coupled with standing too long talking with some friends of ours.  We really did not need this excitement in our lives right now ...... actually any time for that matter!!

His cardiologist lowered the boom on him to lose weight so it has to become top priority to exercise more and eat less!!  Wish us luck .....

Clarice
Right MVD for trigeminal neuralgia, 1994, Pittsburgh, PA
Left retrosigmoid 2.6 cm AN removal, February, 2008, Duke U
Tumor regrew to 1.3 cm in February, 2011
Translab AN removal, May, 2011 at HEI, Friedman & Schwartz
Oticon Ponto Pro abutment implant at same time; processor added August, 2011

Soundy

« Reply #797 on: April 09, 2011, 08:08:05 pm »
If he was standing with knees locked that can cause passing out ... glad he is doing OK now ...and wish him luck losing weight ... I still fight that ...I haven't gained or lost in about 4 weeks ...

Well we had an interesting and good day … start time came and it was warm , windy and over cast…Hannah decided she was going with the runners … Sarah was going to stay with walkers … route took us through historic district of town … painted lady Victorian houses that are beautiful … but instead of relatively flat route like the heart walk was , we were up and down some big hills …I was getting a bit wobbly with balance issues … Sarah looked back and came and walked right in front of me so I could put my hand on her shoulder… felt bad as it brought her way back but proud she came to Mom’s rescue … Hannah was gone with the wind …

after one long steep upward climb I started wheezing …then hyperventilating … reach for inhaler and the thing would not give me a puff of medicine … Sarah had to call home and told my son to bring  me another… but I got enough breath back that I went on walking but we had been passed  by most of the rest of the group… every time a police officer in a golf cart that was circulating the route would pass I thought about hitching a ride back to square … but had decided I was going to finish …

we passed Hannah going opposite direction still running along with a smile …she asked if I needed her and I told her I was fine and to  go on …  at about two thirds through my son called and told me where he was and I had him meet me on route with new inhaler … he and my 2 year old grand daughter walked the rest with us … me and Sarah finished at 1:03:13 and 1:03:14 … we were walking side by side at this point and I had her step back to in front of me position to give her a second up on me … Hannah finished at 43:48 … she took 3rd place in the 13-19 year old division … this is the first time she ran … she is still wearing her bronze medal … she just wanted to finish and had no intention to place …with te medal she also still has the smile on her face and I worry her face may crack …
Both girls had running noses despite taking zyrtec before race … something with all the beautiful house and yards we passed were all the blooming trees and flowers … that triggered hay fever in the girls and asthma attack in me … that and all the people cutting grass … but I finished … Hannah is planning on running again in 2 weeks … I am thinking about waving as she goes by …   ;D
Translab July 2 ,2007

Jill Marie

« Reply #798 on: April 09, 2011, 09:32:01 pm »
Jill finally reporting in!  Have a case of athlete's foot so I must have done some exercising sometime!

Keri - Yes, Hawaii would be an expensive weight loss program but you can't tell me it wouldn't be worth it.  I think your marathon was awesome, being sick really drains you and just because you felt better later in the week it doesn't mean your body was ready for it.  Feeling better at mile 18 then you usually do is meeting a goal.  Hope your legs are feeling up to moving again. 

Cindy - So, what does your husband think of the Hawaii weight loss program?  Tell him it's either foot the bill or swim to Hawaii which in itself is quite a weight loss program.  Sounds like you need a get my tush in gear reminder, so here it is - Get the buns a runnin!

Jan -  I sent you the $5 for Hawaii but the envelope came back, guess I got the address wrong, will have to put it in my Hawaii fund I guess

Kay - First things first, preparing for surgery, recovery, then back on the exercise horse, we will be here when you're ready to get going again

Soundy - Congrats on finishing the 10k, sounds like way more work then I would be willing to deal with so you get two gold stars

Clarice-  Yes, hospital hall walking counts as exercise and so does stressing over loved ones.  Sounds like it's time for your hubby to join our thread, we will get him moving so the doc is happy with him. 

Took a couple weeks off from the club to catch up on some things around the house, got back to the club this week but only for a 30 minute bike ride.  We are so busy at work that they got me a part time person to help out.  Down side is I have to train her so now I'm doing my job, training her and making sure she doesn't over pay a customer.  Then to top it off my supervisor decided she didn't like the part time person and let her go.  Back to square one for nothing.  At the end of the day I'm to tired to post here, not a good thing.  Going to to take it easy!  Hope the weather is nice for everyone tomorrow so you can go out and have a nice time and get some exercise without realizing it's exercise.  Jill :)

Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #799 on: April 10, 2011, 01:00:22 pm »
In the low 70's here yesterday and very nice.  Hoped to get outside on my bike, but decided it was time to clean house instead.

Today it's hotter - and humid as hell.  While I appreciate the change in temperature, I'm not sure I'm ready for humidity just yet  ::)

One thing I tend to love about Spring is the nice, mild, (non-humid) temps.  We'll see what tomorrow brings.

In the meantime, there's air in my tires, I've found my helmet (much to the relief of DHM, I'm sure), and I'm hitting the road  :D

Hope the rest of you get out there today,

Jan

Jill Marie - perhaps I should PM you my new mailing address?   ;)
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #800 on: April 10, 2011, 01:48:38 pm »
Jill .....

My husband was asking how to use the Forum so he could post after my surgery.  I told him he could register himself, so maybe I will get him to do that for this thread and for posting his own things.  Thanks for the suggestion.

We are determined to get to the Y regularly in the next three weeks and have already really started to count the calories ...... would not hurt me at all to drop as many pounds as safely possible either in the next few weeks.

Clarice

Soundy

« Reply #801 on: April 11, 2011, 02:46:42 pm »
call for a new inhaler ... these newer more earth friendly ones will still have medicine and run out of propellant to get it out ...so in the end what is suppose to be better for the earth and my pocket book really means that I spend more because although I don't need it often I have to buy more of them... that is my gripe for today ...

spent most of weekend in recovery mode ... went to church yesterday , grabbed a bite to eat , came home and slept off and on until my husband woke me to feed me ... did some laundry then lazzed around reading ... joints and muscles are great ...just an all over tired ... lupus sun reaction on arms ... just blah ...but I have decided that I am going to do what I want and can since I have these same type reactions when not doing things ... might as well do something while my body goes blinky ... just keep phone , inhalers and alert card on me in case ...

nurse at school also did the walk and says I should stop ... I tried to explain that I moved several blocks  away from where asthma started and breathing eased even before I got hold new inhaler...I figure it was grass or some blooming plant that set me off ... she says it is stupid to risk myself by walking ...when I said I have had similar reactions sitting at home , doing nothing she said that was different... I was at home where I could get help .. I told her no I was usually at home alone and 30 minutes away from an ambulance except on weekends and that having an attack in the middle of a couple hundred people was safer than at home ...she rolled her eyes ... I rolled mine back and left ... I have dealt with asthma for over 40 years ...I won't let it stop me any more than I let the AN stop me from enjoying my life ... I make adjustments and go ...I practice MARF ... Maintain Absolute Rigid Flexibility ...in other words I am flexible and go with the flow whee it carries me

I think I want to sign up for the Hawaii plan too ...don't really want to be a lady farmer this year ...  a couple weeks ago I forced my husband to let me learn to drive the tractor ...something he has resisted for 15 years ...now that I can drive it , he may want me to actually do some work with it  :o ... running off to Hawaii instead and avoiding the hay fields sounds so much more fun ... and losing weight for health reasons makes it a necessity right ?
Translab July 2 ,2007

Jill Marie

« Reply #802 on: April 11, 2011, 08:05:36 pm »
Sorry Jan but the money has already gone into my personal Hawaii piggy bank and I can't get it back out! ;D

Clarice that would be great if your Hubby either got his own account or he could post on yours know and then.  We would be more than happy to encourage him or push him when needed.  Having both of you do it together really helps both exercising and dieting(change of diet that is).  My husband and I joined a club years ago and it really helped us as we encouraged each other, now that he rides to work on his bike it motivates me to ride so we can ride together on vacations and weekends and I can keep up with him.  Please let us know how it goes, whether he posts or you did it for him.

Soundy forgot to mention before that it sure was great that Sara helped you throughout the race and Hannah got a Bronze for running, both winners in my book.  Really enjoyed reading your last post, just got home from exhausting work and shopping, started laughing while reading your post and feel better now.  I love how you continue to do what you want despite the asthma and the AN, and let others now why you do.  If you're just going to lay around and do nothing because of what might happen or go wrong then there's not much point in being here.  As for the Hawaii weight loss program I think you hit the nail on the head.  I'm going to ask my Insurance company if they will cover a trip to Hawaii as it would be good for me mentally and physically, one who is in better shape all around will cost less for them in the long run.  I'm sure we can get our doctors to prescribe a trip for us! 8)
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #803 on: April 12, 2011, 06:46:36 am »
For many years I went twice a week to a deep water fitness class ..... mainly because a good friend of mine also went and we enjoyed talking before and after the class (well, sometimes during  :P).  When my balance first started being a problem, I found the water very disorienting so I quit going.  Now my friend no longer goes and I am having trouble getting the motivation to go back.

Why is it so much easier to exercise regularly if you have someone to share the time?  My husband somewhat kiddingly says that I am the reason he quit exercising regularly ..... when I did not feel up to it, he did not go either.  We both know we cannot use the other for excuses, but it sure is easy to fall into that trap.

We did go to the Y yesterday for a light work-out.  I am determined to be in the best shape possible before this next surgery in a month.

Soundy, I am curious about the earth friendly inhaler.  I use my ProAir (albuterol) inhaler usually only before I exercise (do not need it much of any other time), but I do not think it is "earth friendly."  Did you just ask your doctor about it?  Or was it prescribed automatically?  We will be staying in Seton Hall Guest Center at House next month and their information says that aerosols are not allowed in the building.  Also wondering about TSA agents taking it before we get on the plane.

Ahhhhhh, Hawaii ..... that sounds like the perfect place to recover and resume exercising post-op, don't you think???

Clarice

cindyj

« Reply #804 on: April 12, 2011, 01:08:42 pm »
Great to hear from everyone!  Helps me to know what y'all are doing...yes, Clarice, it IS so much easier to exercise w/ someone else.  Gives you accountability and makes the time more enjoyable.  I couldn't do what I've done w/out my training buddies :D  Is a challenge to make time around four people's schedules, but usually can be done.

Had a tennis match Sun afternoon - was SO hot and that was wonderful after so many freezing cold matches!  I do love the heat 8)  (Though the humidity is another story, as you point out, Jan.) 

The wind is threatening to blow us all away today, but it's very pretty out.  Plan to hit the trail at 9:00 tomorrow morning...

Keep moving, all!

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Jill Marie

« Reply #805 on: April 13, 2011, 08:52:49 pm »
Clarice, give the water fitness class another try, perhaps there is someone else at the class that would love to chat with you before, after and of course during the class.  If the class doesn't work for you because of the balance issues either give it a try a couple of times to see if things improve or find something else you can do.  I often find that the first time out be it on a bike, hike, etc. it is a bit rough but I do adjust, sometimes it's my mind saying I can't, sometimes one just can't.  

As for doing things together, well as you say,  it can work both ways, gets you going or gets you out of something you rather not do.  If you don't work out because you are physically not up to it then I understand but if you don't want to and that gets you out of it and the other person that was going to do it with you doesn't do it then we need to work on another plan.  You have to think of it as something you want to do because it will make your life better, not that you do it because someone says you have to.  Think about what you like to do or would like to do.  Tell yourself that you could do it and enjoy it a lot more if you were in better shape.  You don't have to loose a lot of weight or work out for a couple of hours to feel better and stronger, just a half hour to an hour a day and you will be amazed at the difference.  The buddy system works because usually when one doesn't want to do it the other one does and if it's someone you care a lot about you do it because you know it's good for them and you know how happy they will feel when they have worked out a bit and feel better for it.  If you can, don't think about it as a workout, think about it as something that makes you feel good and don't forget to just take a nice long walk together and enjoy the beautiful Spring weather!  Jill :)

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #806 on: April 13, 2011, 10:40:45 pm »
Before I fell off the exercise wagon (it is soooooo hard to get back on it - still haven't done it) I found that water aerobics were great for my balance.  Plus, being totally uncoordinated in general, I could never do aerobics on land (before or after surgery).  For me it was much easier in the water, and other people couldn't see when I messed up.

Jan - mailing a hammer to Jill Marie to smash that piggy and get my Hawaii contribution  ;D
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Keri

« Reply #807 on: April 15, 2011, 10:11:28 pm »
i haven't had time to read lately, but will catch up after this weekend. want to read in more detail how it's going.
my husband and i are doing a big ride tomorrow. i'll put it on another thread. can use all the prayers i can get (bike ride)!
thanks... will check in after the weekend if i survive!! : )

have a good weekend, everyone
keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Soundy

« Reply #808 on: April 17, 2011, 09:07:00 pm »
Clarice ... my medicine is albuterol ... a couple years ago (2007 ,2008 ) they began making all albutorol inhalers with a different propellant ...now HFA instead of CFC... the medicine doesn't come out as quickly or with as much force ... if I am in distress I have to take more than prescribe 2 puffs to get relief since I can't pull it in ...
Translab July 2 ,2007

CHD63

• Life is good again!!
« Reply #809 on: April 17, 2011, 09:14:57 pm »
Thanks, Soundy .....

That is the same inhaler I have ...... just did not know the difference.  Thanks for explaining it.  Still have a concern about using it at Seton Hall at HEI.  Their web site says:  "Smoking is not allowed anywhere within the Seton Guest Center. In addition, aerosol products are prohibited."  (See:  http://www.houseearclinic.com/info/outoftown/setonhall )  Sure glad there is no smoking allowed, but what do people with severe asthma do?  Guess I could go outside if I run into trouble and need it.

Keri ..... how did the bike ride go?  It was quite cool here today, but bright sunshine ..... hope it was that way for you.

Clarice