Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 418886 times)

Kaybo

Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #75 on: January 31, 2010, 06:21:03 pm »
great job anissa!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Jeanlea

« Reply #76 on: January 31, 2010, 07:55:49 pm »
Keri, great job on the run.  I'd call that a good time.  Being snowed on must be a good motivator.  ;-)

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Keri

« Reply #77 on: January 31, 2010, 09:48:10 pm »
thanks, jean, jim, everyone.
actually, running in the cold is much easier for me than running when it's hot (unless it's really really cold). hot makes me fade and feel like and run like a slug.

great job, anissa on your workout! you did crosstraining and running all in one day! all i did was look out the window and think, 'i should take the dog for a walk', then i fell asleep on the sofa.

have a good week. my goal is to run before i should be fixing dinner tomorrow (not put it off all day).

keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #78 on: February 03, 2010, 12:47:58 pm »
OK folks, this totally RAWKS!  Inspired by this thread, and by watching the Biggest Loser while eating chocolate peanut butter cookies on the sofa, I have gone out and re-joined my gym!!  It is a really cool wellness center with a weight room, cardio room, and a very large pool.  Lots of fitness and yoga classes, too.  I had my first workout today and guess what? NO HEADACHE!!  I have a little neck stiffness and mild pain, but the occipital and frontal headache that I got everytime I worked out, didn't happen.  YAAAAY Botox!!!

I walked a mile on the treadmill, did about 45 minutes in the weight room, them went back to the treadmill and did a full 30 minute weight loss program on the treadmill.

Prior to my surgery I was a pretty buff little gym rat and weighed the same as I did in high school.  After surgery, my headaches changed all that and I packed on about 20 pounds.  Topamax took care of about 15 pounds of that, but when I went off it due to side effects, 10 of those suckers came creeping back.  I plan on being back to my fighting weight by summer.

I am soo tired of sitting on my butt in front of the TV waiting for the next headache to happen!!  I don't think I'm cured, but at least the Botox has got my symptoms under control enough to allow me to live my life.

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Kaybo

« Reply #79 on: February 03, 2010, 01:05:46 pm »
Capt'n~
That is SUCH great news - I'm so happy for you!! 

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2010, 01:08:14 pm »
Captain Deb, woooo hoooooo!  I'm happy to hear you are feeling good and you're back at the gym.  I wish we had something like that close!  Keep up the good work!

I did Wii Fit again yesterday, this cold weather is killing me.  My sweet husband brought in my Tony Little Gazelle glider thing from the garage and I dusted it off.  I hope to get on it this afternoon.

How's everybody else doing today?
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2010, 02:26:44 pm »
I'm back at the gym on a regular basis after Christmas vacation and an incredibly busy January. It really really helps my stress level to work out so I just have to make time.

Sara

Captain Deb, what were your Topamax side effects? I got the numb fingers, toes, nose. I was on it when I went to Costa Rica with my eldest daughter and people stopped me in the streets to ask if I was ok because my lips were blue.
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

lori67

« Reply #82 on: February 03, 2010, 04:07:20 pm »

Captain Deb, what were your Topamax side effects? I got the numb fingers, toes, nose. I was on it when I went to Costa Rica with my eldest daughter and people stopped me in the streets to ask if I was ok because my lips were blue.

Wow - I'd say Capt. Deb had some SERIOUS side effects!  It's not just her lips that are blue!!!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Jeanlea

« Reply #83 on: February 03, 2010, 06:42:40 pm »
Cap'n Deb, 
Great to hear that the botox is working out for you and you can exercise again.  But I really am now hungry for chocolate peanut butter cookies.  Perhaps that is why I'm not losing weight??
I am on day 3 of exercising for a year in my contest.  Two of them have been on the treadmill.  Tomorrow I'm running outside with a friend again.
Checking in here helps keep me going too.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #84 on: February 04, 2010, 11:17:17 am »
I'm back at the gym on a regular basis after Christmas vacation and an incredibly busy January. It really really helps my stress level to work out so I just have to make time.

Sara

My side effects from Topamax were: tingly lips and nose, which went away eventually, fatigue, depression, fuzzy thinking and I don't know if this was one or not, but I developed a large cyst on my liver.  While having that one drained, the doc punctured my lung, putting me in the hospital for 4 days with a chest tube, undoubtably the most painful experience of my life.  However, I feel the Topamax did get me through a really tough several years of headaches.

Capt Deb

PS, Boy am I sore! Not giving up though--going back to gym tomorrow if I can get out--supposed to have another ice storm.
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

Keri

« Reply #85 on: February 04, 2010, 12:09:58 pm »
great news capn deb!
also - what is the glider thing alissa? sound interesting. it is hard to deal with the weather and workouts. i've been a bum this week, but i have a good excuse. but that will be on another thread... i'm supposed to do a long run of 16 on saturday, but we're supposed to get 20" (possibly) of snow. trying to figure this one out... the problem is, if you miss the 'long runs' on the marathon training, well it's not easy to catch up and you need to keep building up.
lori - how's your 5k training going with the snow y'all have had?
jean - wow, are you trying to exercise everyday of the year? i don't come close to that.
kay - hope your ankle is better and you're feeling better soon.
i think i may want to get one of these wii fit things. my teenage daughter needs to do something (she's not much into running) and i wonder what would engage her and motivate her (besides exercising her fingers while texting)?

thanks for the motivation, everyone. this does really help me.

keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

SML

• If wishes were like horses, we would ride.
« Reply #86 on: February 04, 2010, 12:30:34 pm »
This is an EXCELLENT thread!  I’ve been lurking in the back round, envious of everyone able to actually get some real exercise in. Before this crazy AN thing, I used to love a good work out. I have a treadmill, stationary bike, all the goodies like the free weights, exercise balls, armbands and yoga gear not to mention an array of exercise tapes ranging from Denise Austin to Billy Blanks Tae-Bo (one of my favorites). I’ve been trying on and off to get back into it, but so far all I’m able to manage without “paying for it” with headaches, is walking on the treadmill.

My doctor is prescribing Lyrica for my headaches. I’m currently on Gabapentin now, which has taken some of the edge off, but not enough to live a “normal” life. As soon as my insurance decides if I can have the Lyrica, I’ll be trying that in hopes that I’ll be able to run, skip, jump, lift, bend, push, pull, kick, punch, squat, stretch and “ommmm ...” to my hearts content! In the meantime… I’ll keep walking on my treadmill and reading this thread to keep me inspired.

Way to go everyone!

Scarlett

P.S. Captain Deb, you made me LOL when I read about you watching the biggest loser eating cookies. I thought I was the only one who did that!!! ;D
SML(Scarlett)-Massachusetts
1.5 cm x 2.5 cm Cystic AN - Right side
Retrosigmoid 3/18/09 at MGH in Boston,MA.
Dr. Barker - Neurosurgeon, MGH - Dr. Lee - Neuro-Otology, MEEI
no facial issues, SSD right side, balance issues to work on.
Outstanding Surgeons, I'm very happy with the results.

lori67

« Reply #87 on: February 04, 2010, 02:56:23 pm »
Keri,

I'm supposed to be training for this 5k????   :D  Now you tell me!

Haven't been able to do much due to the snow and the fact that the military housing folks don't feel the need to shovel, so now everything is just packed down ice, including the walking/running path around the neighborhood.  Also have had some random joint pain that the doctor did some blood work for today and that's been my excuse du jour.  I'm not expecting the results to come back as anything that would keep me from attempting this 5K anyway.  It's for my nephew, so I'm willing to endure some pain for him.  I did tell my nephew who is organizing the run to make sure someone trained in CPR is at the finish line, just in case! 

Scarlett, you're definitely not the only one scarfing down the cookies!   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Jill Marie

« Reply #88 on: February 04, 2010, 11:18:16 pm »
Great thread, nice to read about what we can do instead of what we can't! I wasn't going to post because after reading the first few posts I thought it was about Marathons, then tonight I saw how many posts there were so I checked out the thread again and found why it's so popular.  So here's my bit on getting going.

My husband & I joined a gym when the boys were young because we found we were growing bigger as well as older!  I worked really hard and dropped about 20 pounds, not long after that I broke my leg (trilateral break), no walking for over 3 months, oh, in the meantime I had Facial Neuroma Surgery.  Sitting there on the couch that Spring, longing to touch the green grass, not to mention wanting to garden, I decided that I would walk Bloomsday the following May.  I broke my leg in May and thought it was only fitting.  Bloomsday has been walked/run in Spokane for over 30 years now.  It's a 12 kilometer(7.46 mile) course that runs through the city.  I did the walk with a friend that helped me during my surgeries, my two boys joined me as well.  I was beat after wards, spent the afternoon on the couch but boy was it worth it.  The following year I planned to do it again to celebrate just being able to walk, however, in February I broke my leg again, small airline fracture.  I asked the doctor if I could do the Bloomsday Run and he said I shouldn't but if I had my heart set on it I should wear my aircast.  I did the walk and called the doctor the next day to tell him I survived, they said he wasn't in as he had run Bloomsday and threw up and collapsed at the finish line.  Guess I should have told him not to do the race! 

That was 16 years ago, I know belong to a club and work out M-F Oct.-Apr.  The rest of the months I walk my dogs after work or go for a bike ride with my husband.  Right now I'm trying to loose the 5 pounds I gained over the Holidays, just got 1 to go then it's on to the other pounds I've had around for years.  I'm up to riding the incumbent bike 50 minutes and then lifting weights for 15 minutes, that is I was.  I decided last week to lift twice the weight and half the repetitions to save time, couldn't sleep for 2 nights because I was so sore.  Lesson learned!  I take Saturday off then we walk the dogs for an hour or two on Sundays.  I just hope I can keep up the routine, if something gets me off schedule it's hard to get back with it.  Good luck to all that have an exercise routine and to those that don't but want one, the hardest part is to start a routine so come join us and see how much better you feel once you get going.  I sleep much better & eat less.  Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

Keri

« Reply #89 on: February 04, 2010, 11:37:45 pm »
jill - thanks for sharing. that's a neat story about the bloomsday race (and kind of ironic about your doctor!). i definitely didn't want this thread to be about marathons or seemingly 'big' things; i think it's great that we do what we can, and get started when we don't and get restarted when we have been unable to exercise. it's great that you have a schedule and a plan, and if you get off your schedule, your cheerleaders here will help you get back on it!

scarlett - so glad you're here! i hope you can get the new meds and that they really help your headaches so you can get back to doing all the stuff you love. pls keep us updated on how it's going.

keri
My head feels weird!!