Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 421167 times)

texsooner

Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #90 on: February 05, 2010, 07:39:16 am »
Jill, you're right...committing to an exercise routine (whatever it may be) is key. Even when you miss a day, don't let that derail your plan going forward. Also when starting, many people's tendency (including me) is to try to do too much too early. To me it's very important to get into a steady routine that slowly builds to the higher level where you ultimately want to be.

Be safe and stay active everyone.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

Jill Marie

« Reply #91 on: February 05, 2010, 09:21:06 pm »
So, I post about keeping to the routine and how good it feels to do it. Then after work I had to go the bank and 3 stores, just wanted to go home after wards and start the weekend.  Seriously considered it then I thought about my cheerleaders on the board, not to mention that one of the stores I had to go to is next to the club I work out at which is on my way home.  Keri & Patrick, thanks for posting, it got me to the gym and kept me peddling when I thought about skipping out early.  I'm home now and can relax knowing I did what I should.  It's surprising how empty the gym is on a Friday afternoon, I thought a lot of people worked out M-W-F, guess not.  I thought of a couple more pluses to exercising, I'm pretty tired and therefore relaxed when I get done so the little things don't bother me which reduces stress.  The other thing is kind of hard to explain, I call it feeling taller.  I'm 5' 4" so feeling taller is a good thing, unlike my youngest who is 6' 5".  Anyway, when I work out especially with the weights it seems like I'm in better control of my body and walk a bit straighter(not slumped over and tired), hence the feeling taller.  Good luck to everyone on whatever exercise/fun they have planned for the weekend, yes exercise can be fun!  Jill
Facial Nerve Neuroma removed 6/15/92 by Dr. Charles Mangham, Seattle Ear Clinic. Deaf/left ear, left eye doesn't water.

Kaybo

« Reply #92 on: February 05, 2010, 10:06:18 pm »
Jill~
I have thought the same thing when I do YOGA - I just seem to carry myself better...or as you put it, TALLER!!   :D  Snaps for you for going to the gym!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #93 on: February 05, 2010, 10:21:43 pm »
Patrick is so right; commitment IS key - and the past few years that's where I've fallen short  :(

I've been able to commit to a lot of things, but an ongoing exercise routine isn't one of them - unfortunately.

However, I have great intentions - which I'm hopeful will one day make me spring into action  :D - and I also have a lot of interesting things coming up in my life that I want to be prepared for.

In addition, one of my kids' teachers/coaches died two days ago of a heart-attack.  Totally out of the blue - no prior warnings.  He was in better physical shape than me, and he was also younger.  This could potentially be a huge wakeup call.

Jan - trying to get my sh*t together in Illinois  ;)
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

texsooner

« Reply #94 on: February 06, 2010, 08:55:32 am »
Great job Jill. Sounds like you've got the commitment part down...keep it going. My wife is also 5'4", so I'm going to use that on her that she can at least "feel" taller by working out. I believe that the control, confidence and posture thing is real.

Let's all get out and do something this weekend. I know it's easier to say and do that from certain parts of the country, but just do what you can.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.

Keri

« Reply #95 on: February 06, 2010, 12:21:59 pm »
jan - hang in there - you've been doing well. i know stuff always comes up and does make it hard. getting back into it is the hardest. i need to follow my own advice a lot of the time! i am so sorry about your kid's teacher/coach. that's so sad.

patrick - agreed - let's all try something for this weekend. i'm pondering that now. instead of a two hour crack of dawn saturday run, i slept in til 10 (i NEVER do that!!) and ate waffles for breakfast. then i shoveled snow. we are approching 3'. i've never SEEN so much snow in my life. it's pretty. doens't look like i'll be running.

have a good weekend.
keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

lori67

« Reply #96 on: February 06, 2010, 12:38:58 pm »
No, Keri, I'd say running is not on your list of things to do out there today!  Maybe you can go sledding?   :D

Patrick, tell your 5'4" wife that compared to me (5'2"), she IS tall.  Have her stand next to me.   :D

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Jeanlea

« Reply #97 on: February 06, 2010, 06:12:59 pm »
Wow!  Some of you are really getting a lot of snow.  I would like just a little snow so that I could cross country ski.  We are supposed to get the snow in the winter, but I ran on mostly clear and dry roads today. It was even sunny all day.  Today I ran with my "fast" friend.  I'm up to 6 out of 6 days for exercise now.  Then I went out for lunch and ate cheesecake!  Bought a weight watchers cookbook after that along with a Godiva dark chocolate bar.  No wonder I'm not losing weight.  :-)

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

Kaybo

« Reply #98 on: February 06, 2010, 07:34:18 pm »
we are supposed to get more snow tomorrow night & Monday...someone said 11 more inches...I hope they are mistaken.  For such a FLAT part of Texas, we have LOTS of MOUNTAINS (of snow) now!   ;)

K   ;D

Bruising has moved to BOTTOM of my foot now (some of you saw the ugly picture on FB) - I will probably go for X-rays next week...unless of course, that interfers with getting into the eye Dr. - my eye looks NASTY (geesh, almost 40 and falling apart!  I'm really not a hypochondriac!)...I need to win the lottery just so I can go to all the Dr.'s!!
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #99 on: February 06, 2010, 07:58:25 pm »
Jean,

The dark chocolate is good for you.  My doctor actually told me to eat it to lower my cholesterol.  Wooohooo!  Gotta love a doctor that tells you to eat chocolate!   ;D  The cheesecake...hmmm..well, lots of calcium! 

Kay, you are falling apart.  We may have to drag you out back and shoot you.   :P  Don't worry, we won't do it until after the snow is gone.

Lori
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

saralynn143

• Sarey Sarey Quite Contrary
    • MVD diary
« Reply #100 on: February 06, 2010, 09:33:56 pm »
Kay, what's wrong with your eye?

Sara
MVD for hemifacial spasm 6/2/08
left side facial paresis
 12/100 facial function - 7/29/08
 46 - 11/25/08
 53 - 05/12/09
left side SSD approx. 4 weeks
 low-frequency hearing loss; 85% speech recognition 7/28/08
1.8 gram thin profile platinum eyelid weight 8/12/08
Fitted for scleral lens 5/9/13

Kaybo

« Reply #101 on: February 06, 2010, 10:02:14 pm »
Sara~
Not sure...really red - keeping it VERY lubricated - not "goopy" so don't think infection.  I did find an eyelash & plucked it - couldn't go to the Dr. because I (along with the rest of the fam) had the stomach bug this past week but I wasn't heaving so I don't think that was it.  When I was able to call, I found out that he's out of town until Tuesday - I'll call Monday if it is not better.  It looks a bit better than it did...

K

PS - Thanks for asking...
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
T3-3/08
Great life!

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #102 on: February 08, 2010, 10:18:44 pm »
Kay, how is your eye feeling/looking today?  Hopefully better!
Keri, the snow sounds so great, I really miss it this year.  I didn't move or anything, just an off year here I guess.  My tulips broke ground today - noooooo! They're going to look all ratty this year for coming up so early.  :(
Lori, I try to take in all the dark chocolate I can, for health reasons, of course!  ;)  I love it. 

I did an intermediate workout on my Gazelle today and hope to work out/run/walk every day from here on out.  Next week I'll sign up for the 5k and then there'll be no turning back!

How did everybody do these last couple of days?

BTW, I'm Anissa Voss on FB if you need any more new friends :)
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

cindyj

« Reply #103 on: February 09, 2010, 09:01:47 am »
You guys are doing great!  Let's keep it going - it helps me so much to be inspired (and kicked in the pants) to get out and exercise.  I did a bit of training for my 1/2 (it's next weekend - yikes), but the weather is really not helping (as for so many of you out there).  Did get a tennis match in, probably didn't burn many calories, but it's such fun and always great vestibular exercise for me.

Being able to eat chocolate is really the main reason I exercise  ;)  I'm an addict, so I have to offset those calories with exercise as I can NOT give it up.  I'm not overly particular about whether it's dark chocolate or not...just about any kind will do ::)

Keep it up, everyone!  If you're very short on time (who isn't?), try doing the plank - great for your core - just takes 20 - 30 seconds a day, then build up from there!  If you're not familiar, you lie on the floor on your forearms and your toes - body as straight and flat as you can keep it...

Cindy

"Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the
mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give
up. It is always tired in the morning, noon, and night. But the body is never tired if the
mind is not tired."
- George S. Patton, U.S. Army General, 1912 Olympian
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

Keri

« Reply #104 on: February 09, 2010, 03:01:46 pm »
if anyone misses snow, come for a visit. we are buried in the stuff and getting more. my new exercies - forget running - is shoveling. what's running? where to run???
kay - take care of your foot !!!!!
anissa and cindy - good for you both! can't wait to hear about the half, cindy. will weather be a factor? hope it's not too cold but not too warm (i have no idea where you are)!
glad you're signing up for the 5K anissa!
our house has been out of power since saturday. may not be back until friday. limited internet. thus my incomplete sentences.
talk to you later,
keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!