Author Topic: let's run! or walk! or something....  (Read 418790 times)

cindyj

Re: let's run! or walk! or something....
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2010, 12:38:20 pm »
I watched a good bit of Biggest Loser last night...does that count ;D

Cindy
rt side 1.5 cm - Translab on 11/07/08 Dr. Friedman & Dr. Schwartz of House Ear Institute,
feeling great!

"Life consists not in holding good cards, but in playing well those you do hold."  Josh Billings

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2010, 07:56:33 pm »
Thanks for all the feedback on recumbent bikes vs elliptical machines - and good suggestion about the Y, Saralynn.

I figured the elliptical would give me a better workout, but I love to read while biking  - not when I'm on the open road though, obviously  ;D

Sometimes I'll only "allow" myself to sit and read if I pedal at the same time.  It's great incentive, especially when I have a good book that I'm in the middle of.

Jan
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Captain Deb

• Phearless Phyll and Captain Deb!
    • Captain Deb
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2010, 11:05:03 am »
OK folks, I'm in!  Botox in head, I did about 25 minutes of light yoga today and ended up with a little bit of nausea and a light headache. They both went away after a while.  I have not exercised in a very long time--even taking a walk was giving me a headache.  I am going to commit myself to doing 1/2 hour of something every day.  I have a pilates machine upstairs that hasn't been used in a long time.  I've got an exercise ball and weights as well, so I have NO excuse, do I!!  I have also put on 10 pounds as a result of going off the Topamax.  That has gotta go!!

I am putting it alongside flossing my teeth as part of my daily routine.  It's nice to be able to log in and get support and chart my progress and see how everyone else is doing.  Use it or lose it right?

Capt Deb
"You only have two choices, having fun or freaking out"-Jimmy Buffett
50-ish with a 1x.7x.8cm.AN
Mid-fossa HEI, Jan 03 Friedman & Hitselberger
Chronic post-op headaches
Captain & Designated Driver of the PBW

staypoz

« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2010, 12:13:19 pm »
Capt Deb:

Headaches/head pain have made me give us some of my favorite forms of exercise.  Just a few weeks ago, I started using a rowing machine.  It doesn't jostle my head and is strengthening those neck and shoulder muscles.  Some times after I exercise,
I actually feel like I have a normal neck, instead of a piece of concrete between my shoulders and head.   

staypoz

Keri

« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2010, 04:42:03 pm »
welcome Capn Deb and staypoz!!
i didn't run yesterday and am watching the moon rise over my backyard right now and thinking how i haven't yet quite gotten out the door before it gets dark (i have about 5 minutes).

jan - totally emphathize about how difficult it is to do the really early morning workouts.
i thought about downloading books on my ipod, but i don't use it too much now that i'm ssd.

we could all go try ZUMBA!!! my friend went to a class so i looked at it on youtube. looks like fun!! haha. i can't quite see myself doing all that tummy bouncing stuff!

ok, i'm out the door for a very quick (i mean slow but short) run.

keri
1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

Kaybo

« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2010, 05:14:13 pm »
I did ZUMBA once - I was the comic relief!  Nothing happening here - still in my PJ's - we had ICE overnight and early this morning and now have about a foot (drifts as high as 5 feet the weather just said!) - pretty much everything (except Dave's office) is closed anyway!

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

lori67

« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2010, 05:20:50 pm »
Think of the exercise you will get shoveling the snow!
Right 3cm AN diagnosed 1/2007.  Translab resection 2/20/07 by Dr. David Kaylie and Dr. Karl Hampf at Baptist Hospital in Nashville.  R side deafness, facial nerve paralysis.  Tarsorraphy and tear duct cauterization 5/2007.  BAHA implant 11/8/07. 7-12 nerve jump 9/26/08.

Keri

« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2010, 05:41:12 pm »
being out in the ice and messing up your ankle... doesn't sound good. lori, will you be shoveling snow this weekend? it's supposed to go south of us.

capn deb - when i first read you post and you said 'adding it to your routine like flossing your teeth'  - - at first reading, i thought you were going to stop flossing your teeth to make time for your fitness workout! (i think i read ' i am putting off flossing my teeth' )  a new way to add a few minutes to your day - forego the dental hygiene!

1.5 left side; hearing loss; translab scheduled for 1/29/09 at Univ of MD at Baltimore
My head feels weird!!

NancyMc

• One year and all is well, almost.
« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2010, 10:06:37 am »
No!  Dental hygiene is very important!
Dave, my caregiver as some of you will remember, is moving into my house.  He asked if he could bring up his ab roller and keep it next to my rowing machine.  He said, "That way we'll each have a piece of exercise equipment that we don't use."  I chuckled about that for days.
We were both supposed to try to lose weight before we leave for St. Croix on Tuesday.  We didn't.  So, I googled hiking in St. Croix and found plenty of trails.  Now we just have to DO it!
Watch and Wait since 9/19/01
Increased from 1.1 x 1.9 to 1.9 x 1.9 cm as of 10/27/08
Right SSD, tinnitus, compensating balance
Dr. McKenna at Mass Eye and Ear and Dr. Barker at MGH
Translab April 8, 9 hours, 18 mm Tumor all gone SSD some facial weakness

anissa

• My Journey
« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2010, 06:18:50 pm »
You guys have inspired me and a friend has peer-pressured me  ;).  I'm going to do my first 5k run (actually I think I might only do the 3.5 mile walk/run part) on March 13th.  I'm going to use the Cool Running Couch to 5k to train.  I did Day 1 today.  I don't have 8 weeks so I might try to skip a couple steps to get where I need to be.  Its cold today, high 30s.  I need to find some place to do my thing that's indoors!  Is a treadmill as effective as hitting the open road?  We don't have one but there is a gym in town.  Wish me luck! 
Anissa
2/11/09 Diagnosed AN 2.1cm
2/26/09 Consult with Dr. Clough Shelton, U of Utah
4/1/09 Translab with Shelton & Couldwell
--little teensy bit of tumor or cells on facial nerve, stuck! No facial weakness, Rt side SSD
4/8/10 1-yr MRI, "Looks great!"

Jeanlea

« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2010, 07:51:53 pm »
Good luck with your 5k Anissa.  It's always nice to have a goal to be shooting for.  I'd take your 30 degree weather.  We barely got out of the single digits today.  Too cold for me to run outside.  Anything over 20 isn't too bad.  Tomorrow I will get on my treadmill.  I should have read this thread earlier this week to get more motivation.

Jean
translab on 3.5+ cm tumor
September 6, 2005
Drs. Friedland and Meyer
Milwaukee, WI
left-side facial paralysis and numbness
TransEar for SSD

leapyrtwins

• I am a success story!
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2010, 08:21:24 pm »
Good luck, Anissa  ;D
Retrosig 5/31/07 Drs. Battista & Kazan (Hinsdale, Illinois)
Left AN 3.0 cm (1.5 cm @ diagnosis 6 wks prior) SSD. BAHA implant 3/4/08 (Dr. Battista) Divino 6/4/08  BP100 4/2010 BAHA 5 8/2015

I don't actually "make" trouble..just kind of attract it, fine tune it, and apply it in new and exciting ways

Kaybo

« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2010, 08:50:14 pm »
still snowed in and still eating!!   ::)  "speckled rolls" in oven now...snow ice cream was NOT a hit here...think I had too much snow...

K   ;D
Translab 12/95@Houston Methodist(Baylor College of Medicine)for "HUGE" tumor-no size specified
25 yrs then-14 hour surgery-stroke
12/7 Graft 1/97
Gold Weight x 5
SSD
Facial Paralysis-R(no movement or feelings in face,mouth,eye)
T3-3/08
Great life!

Keri

« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2010, 10:50:26 pm »
Yes, Anissa, a treadmill is great. Glad you're going to do the 5K.  Hopefully by March the weather will be a bit better...

I wasn't thinking when I signed up for a half marathon tomorrow - it'll be 20 at the start (at least the start is 9am and not earlier). My husband, in his wisdom, said "what type of weather did you expect signing up for a race on January 30?". Yes, thanks. I'm putting it up here so I WON'T SLEEP IN tomorrow. Must tell myself i can eat waffles and drink coffee when I get home.

I think Nancy and Dave's idea sounds better. Have a great trip!

Keri
My head feels weird!!

texsooner

« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2010, 08:45:14 am »
Welcome in Capt Deb and Staypoz.

Way to go Anissa on signing up for the 5K....good luck.

Jean....we have different standards on what is cold. Down here in the Houston area, it's in the low 30's this morning with the wind blowing hard. I'm too much of a weenie with the cold weather. We canceled our bike training rides this weekend, but I am stating here that I'll wrap up and get my butt out for a 3 to 5 mile run later today (after it warms up a little).

Good luck on the half Keri...can't believe you run so many of those.

Keep active everybody.

Patrick
3.5cm left side AN; 11 hour retrosigmoid surgery 8/11/08 @ Memorial Hermann, Houston - Texas Medical Center with Drs. Chang and Vollmer; home on 8/13/08;
SSD(w/tinnitus); dry eye; Happy to be here and feeling good.